Why do americans eat waffles with fried chicken?

Why do americans eat waffles with fried chicken?
Is it actually good?, I gotta try it one of these days but I don't tend to eat fried chicken, it's just too greasy.

Other urls found in this thread:

miaminewtimes.com/restaurants/ten-best-chicken-and-waffles-in-miami-6576008
tablematters.com/2013/06/04/the-dutch-country-waffle-dinner/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Most Americans don't. It's not a generic American thing, but it does exist in certain areas with a large African-American population (i.e. the South)

It's not haute cuisine or anything but I think it's a pretty nice combo.

>>it's just too greasy
Find a better place to get fried chicken from. It shouldn't be greasy.

>it's just too greasy
Did you look at the picture you yourself posted? Does that look fucking greasy? No, it does not. God damn asshole pissing me off before I had my survival juice.

I'm American and I've never had it before.

Fried chicken with honey is vastly superior to maple but doesn't work well with waffles.

Never heard of eating waffles with fried chicken. My guess is maybe eating the syrup and friend chicken together and not so much the waffles. They just make it seem less weird and pathetic than pouring syrup onto the chicken at a restaurant.

That looks very greasy

Yeah it's really oozing with grease

It's a southern thing

>what is the "sweet and savory" flavor combo?
Kill yourself, shitposter.

>It's a southern thing
It's actually a Harlem thing. In the 30s, all these black jazz musicians in Harlem would get done with their sets/partying and get a late night meal of chicken and waffles to help wash down the heroin. The main spot they would visit was called Leroys Supper Club or something like that.

Cool, I had no idea where it actually started.

The only places I've seen it have been in the South, but then again I've never been to Harlem! My work sends me all over the country, but the closest I've been to NY (aside from the airport) has been Piscataway, New Jersey. I refer to that place as "The Armpit of the USA".

I tried it once, and it was actually quite good. The softness of the waffle provides a contrast to the crunch of the batter, like the reverse of eating a sandwich in crusty bread, and the mild sweetness of the waffle pairs well with the salty savory taste of fried chicken.

American here,

I don't think I've ever actually had chicken and waffles but I've had plenty of things that taste like it. Definitely not something I'd eat more than once a month or two.

>why do americans do X

here we go again. America is a big place. It wasnt until I was about 25 when I saw a "chicken and waffles" place for the first time. Its some kind of northern thing that niggers like up there. For some reason it gets memed that its in the south, but I grew up in Georgia and never even heard of it. Also, niggers love mayo where Im from.
Different parts of the US make fun of each other all the time about the food they eat.

I'll give it a shot:

Chicken and waffles started out as a popular dish in the African American community, it was mentioned in an earlier post. The poi t when it became famous was around when Hip-Hop and Rap became mainstream, and black culture was becoming increasingly popular in the public eye and everyone started to integrate it into the norm. By this time, the 'niggers and watermelon' meme was stale, and so chicken and waffles replaced it. Only until around the mid-2000's did I actually hear a non-black person mention C&W that wasn't trying to spin some racist shit into their statement. Then the hipsters came, started worshipping BBC, and now you idiots overseas start threads like this and ask 'lolol why u so different, hurr durr burger'

My restaurant sells duck and waffles, and it is delicious. I'm a southfag.

>organic confit duck thigh marinated in lemon and lime zest, served on cinnamon vanilla Belgian waffle with an over easy duck egg, basil seasoning. Served with grade B Canadian maple syrup that has cinnamon, fennel, peppercorn, star anise, and cloves folded in.
Hng

-t. nigger trying to claim all inventions are of their creation

fuck off primate

>it's another foreign Ameriboo seeks attention thread

And Long Beach CA, where they had Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles.

Its claim to fame was being visited by Obama.
Only for it to go bankrupt and get bought by Snoop Dog.
Only for it to go bankrupt again.

>And Long Beach CA, where they had Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles.
It was Wells Supper Club (Harlem)...
which spawned Roscoe's in L.A., which was quite famous, always mentioned on Johnny Carson and such...
And, in the 80's Gladys Knight brought Harlem to Atlanta with her restaurant, which is soul food of all types, but really nothing on Cracker Barrel. Gladys isn't affiliated with the restaurant currently, kind of like how Roscoe's also closed.

It became kind of a home cooking restaurant meme, maybe only offered as a special, I mean someone has to monitor that waffle station, or maybe just during brunch. Good chefs try their hand at it, moving it away from the crap diner food quality to more perfection such as at Yardbird in Miami, where its served with hot sauce honey, lemon herb chilled spiced watermelon,
cheddar cheese waffle, bourbon maple syrup. That glob of green on the waffles is like a pimento cheese made with green onion. It doesn't all go together, but it's all good on it's own as a grazer's delight.
And it gets crazier, from chicken croquetas, to pork "wings" to duck, to cornmeal cakes. It seems putting together things that simply don't go together gets the creative chef's reputation going.
miaminewtimes.com/restaurants/ten-best-chicken-and-waffles-in-miami-6576008

It's good because maple syrup and fried chicken is good. The waffle just happens to be there because.

>It's good because maple syrup and fried chicken is good. The waffle just happens to be there because.

This is my theory... the waffle is only there to justify you putting fucking suryup on your chikun.

Americans eat scones with gravy. They're morons

Post yfw that costs like $45

Don't be afraid to go into the "bad" neighborhoods, user. You can get that from some black restaurant for half the price

I'm an American and i've never had it. It's a regional thing.

>tripfag
filtered

t. white guy from the rural midwest

It's unique, and yes, it's expensive, because it's a hipster celebrated chef, big restaurant group joint, in the high rent Art Deco district with long lines and live music and cocktail drinking. Charging prices like that also ensures the guy in the Ferrari using the Valet isn't going to be jacked while he dines, which is a key part of the international draw that is Miami's elite, where their first home in Rio is so dangerous to the wealthy they can't leave the airport except by helicopter. Good food and wearing your Rolex while you dine is the scene.

Anyway, and, no you don't get the same thing at other restaurants. The point of every fusiony chef tackling this dish and doing this pairing well is that it's not the same as the crap diner food in other restaurants, where your waffle could be L'eggo and your syrup is only maple flavored. I'll go into the ghetto for BBQ, really good overcooked sides like greens filled with ham hocks, but watching your money isn't forefront on everyone's mind when dining out with friends.

>but watching your money isn't forefront on everyone's mind when dining out with friends.

>2017
>having friends and becoming a poorfag to impress them
I seriously hope you guys don't do this

>Why do americans eat waffles with fried chicken?
Negros eat it with fried chicken.
Americans do it differently.

That looks fucking disgusting.
Wtf, I love nignogs now and hate whites.

I used to go to a bar that did pork belly and a waffle. Far better combo

>scones

They're biscuits. It's called biscuits and gravy. Go add malt vinegar to your bangers and mash you buck-toothed limey.

It is very good, and surprisingly versatile. different seasonings and types of batter for your chicken, types of waffle batter, and different sauces gives you a plethora of different takes on the dish. I've also subbed rabbit for the chicken once before and it was fucking breathtaking.

>cornflake fried, con fited rabbit
>buttermilk waffle
>bacon cognac cream sauce

that looks horrible and you sound like a bag

Calm down and drink your lean, Tyronikwis

It's a very niche dish, but it's shockingly good. The textures, flavors, they're all shockingly good together.

For me, it's Ihop chicken and waffles at 3am when I'm hammered.

Where's the mayo
Sometimes it must be cut with a knife. You're shit outta luck, guy.

Savannah ga native here and I can tell you from experience that you absolutely have got to try it if you never have. Do yourself a favor and go with bone in thighs. Yes it's not as easy as a boneless breast but holy shit it is worth it to have that much more tender and juicy meat. For extra points use a spicy fried chicken recipe. Oh and you want the best quality maple syrup you can get your hands on. And real butter. The perfect drink to go along with is bourbon on rocks.

It's not bad. If you're in the nyc area hit up barcade for some 25 cent arcade games, beer, and grab the chicken and waffle sandvich. It's good barfood. Otherwise you could hit up I-hop and try chicken and waffles or steak & eggs. Or you could make it yourself.

this picture is from Ihop.

Which is cool cause their chicken and waffles are surprisingly fucking delicous

>Why do americans
basketball americans

I found it to be a pretty senseless combination. Not bad, but I'd rather have chicken on a biscuit.

I bet you covered that in ketchup and ranch dressing didn't you?

Actually, chicken and waffles came from rural Pennsylvania.

ayo fkkin cracka ass bitch where da HOTSAWSE at?!

Its one of the best things ive ever tasted. You autistic faggots shouldn't knock it before you try it. Sweet and salty is a good combination and everyone knows it so if you disagree you should literally commit suicide in real life. Thank you very much, sincerely, your mom.

The experience is made or ruined by the waffles.
Fried chicken is like pork, it goes well with maple syrup.

Not as far as im aware. NE Us all i ever see waffles used for is an occational breakfast item.

>chicken tendies with your waffles
You're doing it wrong.

It's an African American 'comfort food' it's just one of those things you wouldn't really expect to mix well but it does.

I live in Phoenix, AZ, and I'm also latino. This is from LoLo's Chicken&Waffles. A very well known local spot. They're famous for this exact thing and have lines out the door down the street almost all the time. They also serve drinks in Mason jars, like kool-aid (yes purple kool-aid), punch, lemonade, tea. The blacks actually don't order this often, they usually order the soul food they have on the menu. The chicken&waffles are usually ordered by hispanics, whites, and asians. I've been there a few times and it's really delicious, I've had chicken and waffles from lots of other places but this is the best. They also have their own hot sauce that goes great with the chicken. They sell bottles of it but it gets sold out fast too.

>Not liking biscuits and gravy
Oh wow look at this tough guy, I bet you love your blood sausage and spotted dick

The only two people who know anything about life right here, the rest of you are fucking wrong eternally.

I've only had it once or twice, but it's actually pretty good. Thanks, negros.

are those scrambled eggs?

I fuck with it if I go to ihop but that's the only time.

It is good but it's definitely a comfort food not to be eaten regularly.

Unfortunately they do, but they're only "Americans" just because of a technicality from the the 14th amendment

I am an American and I have never had this but I would like to try it someday.

>Actually, chicken and waffles came from rural Pennsylvania.
Nice googling. But, no, it didn't. What you think you discovered is nothing more than a mention in wikipedia that shouldn't be there.

Just to tack on a bit as to why it was chicken and waffles:
These musicians were usually playing until really late -- so late that the kitchen had already started prepping waffles for the breakfast crowd. They also had a bunch of leftover fried chicken from the night before, so instead of letting it go to waste, they decided to throw some on the fresh waffles.

tablematters.com/2013/06/04/the-dutch-country-waffle-dinner/

>Eating fried chicken with biscuits is normal
>Eating fried chicken with waffles is exotic and unusual

?????

niggers*
FTFY

it's a meme

really only popular with hipsters and niggers

Underrated post

its mac n cheese you trog.

fried chicken = lunch/dinner food
biscuit = any meal
waffles = breakfast only

This is how most people think, because they separate foods into being for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It's right to a certain point, most people don't have enough time to make a braised dish or something similar for breakfast but a lot of people think it's weird to eat "dinner" foods for breakfast.

>Not eating pancakes for dinner
It is as if your parents hate you and wished they had aborted you.

Chicken and Waffles is okay in that the flavors don't mix together into something disgusting, but in my opinion the flavors don't exactly compliment one another. It tastes exactly how it sounds and it's nothing to get hyped over.

it's basically the exact same thing as a chicken burger except the bun is in a weird shape