Nachos, anyone?

Nachos, anyone?

I used the classic recipe: Velveeta and Ro-Tel.

No one's complained yet.

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/09/cheese-sauce-for-cheese-fries-and-nachos.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Classic party nachos right there. Over the past 3 days, I was eating cheesy bean dip made with a can of refried beans, 8 ounces of Velveeta, and a cup of ghost pepper salsa. Was good except the short bursts of intestine pain at work.

It's fine for that, it's a decent melting cheese and the other ingredients help balance it. But the best nachos I've had were made with a homemade cheese sauce using good cheddar. This recipe is pretty simple, and tastes good:

seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/09/cheese-sauce-for-cheese-fries-and-nachos.html

For me, it's hormel no bean chili, Velveeta and a taco seasoning.

>no-bean chili

Canned versions of this have always scared me.

That's white trash queso not nacho cheese sauce.

It's good on chips or as a hot dog topping. Eating it like "normal" chili is something I've never tried.

Jesus christ, it's so easy to make your own chili, and it tastes 100 times better. I made it for dinner yesterday and it took me 15 minutes to make, and I let it simmer for a bit, but you could eat it right away if you really wanted.

Wow. I was excited about that recipe, but Frank's? Who the fuck would had that vinegary shit to their nacho cheese?!? Why not add jalapenos and some cayenne

and then there's this fuckin guy

WHY COULDN'T YOU POST A PHOTO OF A FIXED PLATE? :(

For me it's velveeta, rotel tomatoes with chiles, and browned Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage (hot flavor)

Velveeta is fucking gross

I'm not even mad about the Ro-Tel, but it would probably have cost you about the same to get some of that white Mexican melting cheese, forgot what it's called, maybe queso blanco? Probably could find it in your regular supermarket too.

It's probably to balance out the richness of the evaporated milk and cheese, but you can always adjust it to your own tastes.

>not using yellow corn chips

throw your garbage nachos in the trash

I'll pass on anything involving Velveeta. Nothing classic about it.

You mean I can MAKE chili?!? What a fucking revelation. The residents of this board are truly blessed by your insight.

Another classic variation. These dip recipes are all fit for a Super Bowl Sunday.

Ro-Tel is god-tier, but why not make your own nacho cheese out of a roux and cheddar? Tastes a hell of a lot better than Velveeta

This is making me uncomfortable.

What seems to be the problem, user?

>Nachos, anyone?
I just spread the tortillas out on a baking tray with a little rub of olive oil, bake until toasty, then, hit them with shredded fresca queso or some kind of mexican 4 cheese blend (preferred), and bake until chips are toasty and cheese is melted. Cover with salsa, grilled chicken, chorizo, sour cream, jalapenos, cilantro, etc. I don't like the runny cheese, but there's certainly nothing wrong with it for people who like it. Rotel is a great product, especially the Festival with lime juice and cilantro. Herdez is a good one too.

I haven't made a good chorizo queso dip in a long time, but it's not any harder than bechamel. The chorizo has so much flavor! I highly recommend cotija in there, no matter what.

"Mexican melting cheese" is actually "White American". Specifically, almost every Mexican restaurant uses Land o Lakes extra-melt cheese.

OKAY Veeky Forums IT'S TIME TO LEARN HOW TO BE A REAL HUMAN AND MAKE NACHO SAUCE USING REAL CHEESE AND NOT OVERLY-SALTY PLASTICKY PROCESSED CHEESE:

Get:
8 oz. sharp cheddar
1 tbsp corn starch
1 can (12oz.) evap. milk
Sauces, spices, veggies to taste

Grate your cheese. Yeah, all 8 oz. Finely grated seems to work well, but it doesn't matter honestly, as long as it's grated it aids the melting process.

(Note: you can use bagged shredded cheese instead of a block of cheese that you've grated, but you'll also need to reduce or omit the corn starch, since bagged shredded cheese from the store is already covered in corn starch)

Once it's all grated, put it all in a bowl or food-safe container with a lid, then add that one tablespoon of corn starch. Toss the cheese and starch around, or put the lid on and shake it up.

Now dump all the cheese in a saucepan, then pour one cup of the evaporated milk (2/3 of the 12 oz. can) over the cheese. Set the heat to low, and start slowly stirring. This is the part where you really have to pay attention: Once the milk is mixed with the cheese and the cheese starts melting, you have to start rapidly stirring the fuck out of that sauce with a whisk or your favorite rapid-stirry-thingy until it gets all smooth, bubbly, and thick, which takes about five minutes.

(Note: The sauce will be very grainy at first, which is why you need to whisk the shit out of it to get it all velvety and smooth, and once the heat really starts permeating everything, the graininess is reduced further. You can definitely get it to "7-11 nacho cheese" consistency.)

At this point, still stirring over low heat, you can use the rest of the can of evaporated milk to thin the sauce to your taste/preference.

Once desired consistency is achieved, you can basically add whatever the fuck you want. Spices, hot sauces, sweet sauces, finely-chopped peppers/mushrooms/onions, minced garlic, corn, beans, bacon bits, I don't give a fuck. Try different cheeses, too.

>8 oz. sharp cheddar
Stopped reading there. Cheddar doesn't belong in Mexican or Texmex food.

The best part about this recipe is that even though real cheese is the base, it is distinctly a sauce.

Even after it starts to cool, it retains that semi-liquid consistency, unlike simple melted cheese which turns into a solid mass once it's not longer hot. You can even store unused portions of this shit in the fridge and reheat it later. You might just have to add a touch of milk before reheating, and stir well after.

That's why I called it "nacho sauce" and not "Salsa con Queso".

It's basically just a base recipe for cheese dip. Good with fries, chips (tortilla or otherwise), beef jerky, or anything your crazy ass wants to dip in liquid cheese or pour liquid cheese upon.

You could probably use a more legitimate queso instead of cheddar, and the appropriate spices, and make it into something more like authentic Mex/TexMex/MexTex food anyways. This isn't some family recipe, it's just a straight-forward way to make solid cheese into liquid sauce.

cheese should be 50/50 cheddar/Monterrey jack
Nacho cheese sauce has to have pickled jalapeno. Whether you liquefy the peppers themselves or just use the vinegar is up to you and your brand of pepper.