Beer

Tried this for the first time ever the other day when I couldn't find Sierra Nevada Kellerweis at the store.

Kinda watery IMO but overall pretty decent.

Kellerweis is up there with the big German hefes imo. Paulaner is really solid, but doesn't stand out too much among other stuff from Germany like weihenstephoner

Reminder that no one actually likes beer and "acquired taste" is a form of Stockholm syndrome

that's definitely the case with nu-male libshit IPA hipster millenials

>failed to read american history when in the 1850's there were over 4000 microbreweries.

You sad fucks. You don't even realize that you are the feminized failures who can only tolerate WWII adjunct pisswater because you are the weaklings who wouldn't qualify for fighting.

German beer, especially hefeweizen, is literally mummy milkies. Fight me IPA-fags

Having a glass of this right now- really enjoying it so far.

Your massacre of the word "literal" leads me to believe you aspire to find new, exciting ways to wear plaid.

German hops tend to be earthy, and the generally mildly alkaline water chemistry lends itself to "cleaner" beers that actually need time to lower their pH to allow yeast to thrive. A nation that prides itself on lager production, and efficiency at the cost of a sense of humour, just isn't going to produce a lot of beers that go against the natural order of things. Their dark beers still tend to be clean and malty, unless there's sufficient alcohol content to balance out the earthiness of Noble-bred/cloned hops.

reminder that sours are the most patrician beers

The way the trend is going... some people just don't know what they're doing with it. Some of the North American attempts at Gose and Berliner Weisse and Brettanomyces whatever are just awful.

>tfw taste for Asian beers (Tiger, Chang, and Singha in particular)
>tfw have to buy them by the bottle at retarded prices at the liquor superstore cuz lol imports

>drinking auld German weissbiers
New world wheat ales are superior in every way. Even a Blue Moon has more character than 90% of the tasteless shit coming out of "Bavaria".

I was going to try and be edgy and say why would i drink a north american beer

but the truth is NA has some decent sours, like the briney melon sour. even sierra plebvada's otra vez is good

gotta take the bad with the good

I don't even know what "mummy milkies" is supposed to mean, you fucking retard.

wheat beers:
belgian > german > american

Blue moon tastes like furniture polish to me. Bavarian Heffes are objectively better.

Nah, america is probably the biggest wheat beer market by far so lots of brewers make them and have perfected it

no

Lol just go to Tesco

I never buy beer from
>usa
>england
>norway/sweden
I seldom buy beer from
>belgium
>france/italy
I often buy beer from
>germany
>ireland/scotland
>denmark

cool thanks for the update

do you want to try more beers from those other countries, or have you decided you just dislike them?

I don't know if I will ever buy american beer or wine again. Every time I do it's a let down. There are good american beer and wine but then I need to pay big money. German beer have never let me down once!

where do you live? US craft beer is very expensive here (australia), you can get german/belgian beer of equal or better quality for a fair bit cheaper

Where do you live? Honestly everyone should just drink whats brewed locally since the stuff that gets brewed in big enough batches to be shipped worldwide is seldom great

This and Sapporo are some of my favourite beers

>the stuff that gets brewed in big enough batches to be shipped worldwide is seldom great
what? where do YOU live??

South east usa. But I mean some of the big batch stuff is great, for instance i love newcastle but im sure theres tons of brittish craft brewers who make small batch brown ales that are way better

i do notice that americans in these threads do talk mostly about american beers

is good international beer hard to come across there?

>is good international beer hard to come across there?

Depends on where you are located. If you're near a big city, or one with a lot of international influence (immigrants, a major university, etc.) then it's not hard to find good imports. If you live elsewhere (especially in flyoverland) then you won't find much in the way of imports, and you might get your ass kicked if you were seen drinking one.

As for the imports specifically: All the big-name stuff is pretty easy to find. Corona, Heineken, Asahi, Molson, Guiness, etc. However, anything that's not a super-big-name like those can be a lot more difficult to come by and requires finding a shop with an unusually good import section. That's easy in a big or international city. That's hard in the middle of flyoverland.

I'd kill for a couple of bottles of weissebeer right now.

I concur and it gets pretty annoying sometimes. Then there are the people who suck on German beers' chode incredibly hard for no particular reason at all. Before you whine that yurop does only traditional stuff, try de Molen, or even better pic related.

Got some stuff coming from Poland, looking forward to the sherry BA and smoked plum flavoured beers especially.

I've been to the USA and fell in love with Four Peaks Kilt Lifter. It's not a masterpiece but it just so happens to have none of the things I dislike in beers. I live in the uk and I can't find anything similar that would also be available without having to order it (tried McEvans Champion but it was too different). Could you recommend me something?

What I would do for a fresh liter of Tsing Tao.

Can't find cans, and the regular bottles are skunked to hell and back.

>get your ass kicked if you are seen drinking one
Confirmed for clueless idiot

Sounds like you're pretty sheltered there user.

Go hang out with a bunch of welders or pipefitters after a 12-hour shift and then ask if anyone wants a Heineken.

This oddly tells me a decent amount about your taste in beers.

You probably like maltier beer with a relatively clean finish, perhaps a bit of lingering sweetness from the stouts, porters and dunkels. You also probably prefer a neutral-to-earthy hop/yeast profile as opposed to the fruity/spicy/citrusy end of the spectrum.

How far off am I?

>I never buy beer from
>england
>I often buy beer from
>scotland

Both constitute parts of Great Britain, but England is not Scotland.

I'm in St. Cloud, Mn. for the week.
Is there anything worth getting?
I usually don't drink American, but since I'm here I might as well try local. Anybody know anything good around here?

>go to England in my 2nd stop of a European vacation
>people insist on taking me to a bunch of ancient pubs
>they all brag about how good the beer is
>it's all warm and not even carbonated
>it's the exact same thing in scotland

The Irish were a little better, but I was so glad to get away from that area and deeper into Europe.

>you will never visit pre-muslim invaded Europe ever again

I'm from Minneapolis so I don't know whats hot (or even whats available) in St Cloud, but Surly is decent. Your best bet is to ask the bartender desu :/

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it.
Do you have one of those super
Euro-sounding names?

whats your favourite macro garbage

Germantown reporting in.
If you want to try a really exciting hefeweizen I highly recommend Schneider Weiße from Franconia. And if you want something a little unusual you should try Alexander weizen from Estonia. Pic related

*Germanon

What's with the faggy bottle shape?

It's so you can gently insert it into your anus once you've finished drinking it. Isn't that obvious?

No fucking shit, but how is Scottish beer supposed to be so vastly different from English, stylistically speaking; outside of a mere handful of niche wild ales and export products?

Pretty much straight on man! You must know your brew!

>export products
Scratch that, Ron Pattinson reckons that scotch ale was pretty much just strong pale ale, often put in blackface with caramel.

I agree 100%. And there very few tastes, once acquired that is more refreshing.

Thanks pham, I tried a Schneider Weisse a few weeks back and it was real nicey. Looking forward to sampling more of their wares.

I'm a welder and only drink local craft beer. My gfs dad is a brink layer and does the same, along with all his union buddies. You're dumb.

>brink
Brick.

What is a real ale?
Ok for macro, but about Schneider Weisse. Their core range is excellent but their "Tap X" series is a bit hit or miss. Try "Meine Hopfenweisse" for extra fun.

enjoying pic related, could be a bit more full bodied, nice cocoa and coffee notes though

I'll take this shit over an American macro brew every day of the week

My favorite breweries around here are Bent Paddle, Castle Danger, and Bauhaus. Surly is good but overhyped

>Your massacre of the word "literal" leads me to believe you aspire to find new, exciting ways to wear plaid.
>2017
>getting mad about literal hyperbole
>not post-post-post-ironic memeing every single day

Milkies from a mummy, what do you think you silly goose? :3

Script that autobans Asahi and Sapporo drinking weeafags in all beer threads when?

Been living in Germany for a while and Störtebeker is the best Weissbier I've had yet

You gave me a chuckle, I'm the exact opposite.

Okay time to ask something I've never understood: What is the opposite of a clean finish for a beer? I know I've had it and I know I like it, but I don't really know how to describe a non-clean finish. Is there a term for that?

Insight, Bauhaus, castle danger, bent paddle, bad weather, indeed, schells

>that first sip of the day

>Störtebeker
my nigga

filthy finish

new batch

>HEINEKEN
FUG THAT SHIT

who /trappist/ here?

ISILDUR

clean your fucking room

La Trappe was probably the most disappointing trappist beer i've had out of all the ones I tried
maybe I got a bad batch.

Can anybody explain to me what the fuck is the deal with mead? Never have I ever gotten so unpleasantly drunk at such breakneck speed.

might be, i wouldn't rank la trappe over most trappist beers but it's still a solid beer.

Yes the "Hopfenweiße" is really something else for a wheat beer. I think the "tap x" is for export reasons because the German names are a pain in the ass to pronounce for non native speakers. The beers are the same as always.

No, but it's more expensive. If I can have three good local beers or two good imported beers for the same price, I'll take the local. I'm sure the foreign beers are quite good, but if I have a cheaper option that's just as good I'll take that.

>kilt lifter
Excellent taste, I love that. They claim it's a scottish ale, so maybe you could get something from scotland?

Local place makes this hefe. Not too bad, but could use some more wheat body.

La Trappe is terrible. You should get Rochefort or Orval.

>implying APA isn't the shittier one
>implying everyone has the same shitty taste as you

Who else here /pbr/? I think it tastes just good enough to be my go-to day drinking beer. Light, refreshing, and not as piss-watery as most of the other macros. Cheap too.

Hey I'm in Huntsville too. Bought my dad some of that for Father's day since he's not from here.

anyone in here ever tried malmgård beers?
godtier beers i tell you, if you ever have a chance, go for them. they even have a cider these days but that one is mediocre as fuck

He Ain't Hefe is one of the FEW beers from the breweries around here I like. Pretty much everything else is WAY too hoppy or just plain medicine-like in taste.

what kind of beer tastes like medicine? care to name examples?
sounds awful to me

Really? I've heard good things about the beers that Blue Pants brews.

Let's see... The big one I recall was on tap at Yellowhammer's taproom. I can NOT remember the name for the life of me. It wasn't the sour, it was something else.

Blue Pants had a killer hefe two years ago! Now, I LOVE their Oktoberfest and I'm ready for it to come out.

Another one of Yellowhammer's beers tasted like straight up hotdog water. It was a real light, wheaty brew. I think I may stick to the STA taproom haha.

Damn I forgot about this one. Got curious and just now cracked it open. More coffee-like with the roasted malts, but damn is this smooth for a porter. So much better than the 20 IPAs to choose from in old Huntsvegas...

Except Schneider Weisse is not from Franconia but from Lower Bavaria

never heard of yellowhammer, i'm assuming it's a us beer,right?
i'm a yuropoor

Yellowhammer is right next door to Straight to Ale. We have seven breweries in our little city now. Like I said, I just wish more of the beers were true to the European roots...

wait, 7 breweries in a single city? there's like 30 in my whole country according to wiki (prolly around 5-10 more in reality though).
either way, i do like your thinking, there are some really top notch european things, beer being one of them.

It depends on where you are because they're imports and can be difficult to obtain in certain parts of the USA.

However, all major cities and MOST heavily populated areas in the USA have some sort of small brewers present. Here in Cleveland, OH I can think of 5 that I really enjoy and 1 that has never let me down.

Mead is honey wine

Fun to drink but should be treated with caution if you have a long night ahead because it can be very sweet and have upwards of 20-25% ABV depending on the brand.

I live 30 mins from huntsville and never tried any of their beers

I need to get on that

DUDE. Absolutely, get on that!

I just get so turned off by the "far out" brews here in the states. I'm not lying when I say one of our local breweries (Rocket Republic Brewing) has a peanut butter porter. Not even kidding. Cahaba Brewing in Birmingham, which is a couple hours south of here, has a peanut butter and jelly beer. WHAT?

Peanut butter porters are really good once in awhile, but I have to admit it's pretty damn nice living in a state full of Swedes and Germans. Minnesota breweries pump out all kinds of traditional stuff along with the experimental crap.

Just tried pic related. Surprisingly really good