Carrot infused oil

How can i make carrot infused oil with a long shelf life?
Every tutorial on google or youtube has about a 3 day shelf life before it goes rancid for long infused carrot oil, but i have various uses for carrot oil including soap that id want to last for more than a few days in storage.

I've thought about dehydrating the carrots before infusing oil with them for a few weeks, would this help?

Any advice?

>thought about dehydrating the carrots before infusing oil with them for a few weeks, would this help

I don't have a good answer to your main question, but can assure you that it's not the water in the carrots that causes the oil to go rancid.

I cant remember which one it was, but one of the tutorials i read mentioned that water was a factor in it going rancid, could be BS but im not a carrot expert so i dont know.

Refrigerate it. Thin oils like walnut need to be refrigerated

There's 0.1g fat in a carrot

Just make real carrot oil and don't set it to battle with some disgusting foreign oil

Oil goes rancid due to exposure to light and oxygen, not heat.

Refrigerating it is definitely necessary, but it's the carrot that's causing it to go bad, no the oil.

I know its possible, this carrot infused oil has a shelf life of 3 years.

The descriptions says its infused for a week at a time in low heat, but i cant imagine thats enough to make it not go rancid.

Never heard of carrot oil. Honest question: what's the benefit or usage of it?

Vitamin E is used as a conservant in natural cosmetics, you could try that?

It's part of the right move. oxidation is what causes rancid oil. water contains dissolved gases.

I wonder how this would work out for making Mayo

I've made carrot mayo before. Here's what I did:
-use the food processor to cut carrots into thin slices
-dehydrate them
-pulverize them in the blender with a little dry ice (keeping them cold makes them brittle and therefore easier to pulverize)
-add the carrot powder to the oil, then use it to make mayo.

Here's what I'd try:
>grate carrots
>weight
>add 2,5% sea salt
>mix
>in a properly sized airlocked jar
>generously cover with oil to infuse
>let infuse 3 weeks

Lactofermenting the carrots will produce CO2 that will strip out O2 and therefore prevent from oxidation. No idea about the taste, though.

Are you proposing to lactoferment with oil in the jar?

Yep, would protect from oxygen but require trial and error to get the right amount of carrot regarding oil. And I have no idea if the fermentation byproducts diffusing in the oil would be pleasant, but it would definitely improve its shelf life.

>Yep, would protect from oxygen

Sounds like a great way to encourage botulism.

Stay in your fearful ignorance and/or keep trolling

I lactoferment often, user.

I'd be concerned that the bacteria could get into the oil well before the lactofermentation process has started. Oil and water are imiscible, so even though the aqueous parts of the ferment would be acidic, that would be irrelevant because it wouldn't mix with the oil.

It makes a lot more sense to me to do the lactoferment first. Then, once it's established, you can add the oil.

Do the fermentation before if you want. But I highly doubt oil has high enough of a water activity to allow microbial growth anyway.

>But I highly doubt oil has high enough of a water activity to allow microbial growth anyway.

Google it. People have died from botulism trying to make their own herb-infused oils without heating it to make sure the bacteria are all dead.

They either didn't use dry herbs, didn't acidify herbs and did not use salt to favor the growth of lactic bacteria.

Also, do you grasp the concept of water activity in regards to microorganisms in food? Do you know salt draws water from hydrophobic solvents? If you're affraid to lactoferment in oil, better not lactoferment at all.

>implying botulism isn't a spore-forming heat resistant germ

You seem to still have a lot to learn, kid.

>Also, do you grasp the concept of water activity in regards to microorganisms in food?

That was the whole point of my post. I related an example of how botulinum bacteria survived just fine in nothing but oil, thereby proving that the "water activity" argument is moot.

>>implying botulism isn't a spore-forming heat resistant germ

Who said anything about that? The point is that if you have herbs in OIL you can easily heat it hot enough to destroy the spores. With water you would need to use a pressure cooker in order to get a high enough temperature to destroy the spores. But with oil that's totally unneeded because oil doesn't boil off at 212F. Herbs in oil can easily be heated hot enough to destroy said spores.

Its really good for your skin and hair

This is one of the best threads I've seen here. How do I get started on making my own oils?

squeeze a vegetable really hard