Old-school red sauce Italian joints

Do these even exist anymore? You know, with the candles stuck in chianti bottles?

It seems like the only place where I can get a good old-fashioned chunk of lasagna, or a plate of spaghetti and meatballs, other than my own home of course, are local sandwich shops and pizzerias, if they have that stuff on their menu. If I go to an actual "Italian" place, it always has some fancy spin on those dishes where they put avocado on the lasagna or whatever.

I think there's something to be said for a by-the-numbers dish of pasta and homemade tomato sauce from some old family recipe that's better than what I'll ever make. Nothing ultra-sophisticated.

Other urls found in this thread:

ny.eater.com/2014/12/1/7315673/10-old-fashioned-italian-american-restaurants-to-try-in-brooklyn
yelp.com/biz/trinacria-olympia
youtu.be/-h6ToaL6Qg8
youtube.com/watch?v=VZPkIPfnzqs
arianna.libero.it/web/ricerca?qs=ricetta di lasagna alla bolognese&f=ussug
yelp.com/biz/ortobello-restaurant-brooklyn
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>"so you had 1 small dish of lasagna that'll be 49.99 please"

I mean look at this. So simple but so good.

The local pizzaria owned by the sweaty itallian guy is where u wanna go he will hook u up

Can confirm. Came in to one of those greasy looking places to split a calzone with a buddy, ordered large pepperoni one for 7.50$ or so. Basically gave us a large pizza folded in half, with the sauce in a styrofoam cup on the side. Shit was dank as fuck, couldn't finish it in one sitting.

so the calzone had tomato sauce INSIDE? weird

Read my post again. I mentioned a pizza folded in half because thats just how huge this bitch was. No sauce inside, but it came with a styrofoam cup full of hot tomato sauce to dip in.

Classic Italian dishes like that are viewed as low class and white trash these days, for whatever reason

People who consider themselves fancy foodies or whatever think it's incredibly pleb to go to a restaurant and order lasagna or spaghetti and meatballs, may as well be ordering chicken tenders

I don't get it either, food culture is weird

You know... you may be on to something. I did a vineyard tour with some friends last year and we concluded by going to an Italian place that walked a fine line between traditional and upscale. I got lasagna - for $26 (didn't matter since I wasn't paying) - and one friend looked at me and said: "Really? Huh!" Like they were judging me. We were all pretty drunk so I didn't resent them for it, but yeah, I guess what I ordered was seen as regular/average/ordinary.

It was a fucking awesome brick of lasagna though.

Because for the longest time east coast eyetalians had convinced America that their meat, tomato and cheese extravaganzas were authentic. With the advent of the internet and food culture people found out that actual Italian food is different and much better. So in an overreaction to being duped for so long Italian-American was relegated to trash by the people.

i hope pic related wasn't it

Damn must suck to be a fucking flyover

Anyone have a good lasagna recipe?

Honestly every italian place has shut down by me
Even Fazolis is gone
The only "italian" place anywhere around me is olive garden but lets be real with that one... its the taco bell of italian food

PHX area btw

Soup salad and breadsticks is dope, their entres are trash tho

Italian restaurant is kill bc of low carb revelations. That and it's fairly easy to replicate at home.

Yea but sweet tomatoes is a much better soup/salad ect place
I think its becaus everyone wants "fresh" food AKA raw food like avacuckdos and micro greens

Aint nothing wrong with cooked food actually humans evolved to consume cooked not raw. We are designed to sit around a camp fire waiting for meat to roast or soup to boil. This is our ideal diet. Not shots of apple cider vinegar and gluten free breads

I have two favorite local Italian places, one is straight up A-fucking plus traditional Italian, down to it's wild boar paparadelle. The other is a place that serves Italian and Czech food, because the head chef is czech but lived and trained in Italy. That place is the best of both worlds, nothing but awesome comfort food.
My conditions for an Italian place is that they have more than just pasta and pizza on their menu. Italian food is so much more than that.

What a timely thread.

Just got back from Huston, went to a place called Buon Appétito.

Fantasic hand made Italian sausage, great spaghetti.

The restaurant was in an old house, you could directly see the kitchen like you would any other house.

Can't make threads, but I just made a sphagetti sauce from scratch with farmer market Roma tomatoes and fresh onion, basil, and oregano from my garden. Followed the X the botton and boil for a minute to get them to peel easily.

also used fresh garlic in the olive oil, holy shit it was amazing. store bought seems like kid food in comparison.

Was a shit ton of prep work though, but very satisfying and therapeutic in the end.

The wops are onto something, can't wait to use only garden grown stuff later in the summer.

Brooklyn still has a bunch:
ny.eater.com/2014/12/1/7315673/10-old-fashioned-italian-american-restaurants-to-try-in-brooklyn

What's better for a meat sauce, ground beef or italian sausage?

La Trattoria Bohemia?

>Cook pasta, homemade or store bought
>Drain and cool
>Build up lasagna in lightlt greased pan
>Alternate through layers of pasta, marinara sauce, ricotta cheese, cooked vegetables of choice, and cooker protien of choice until it comes up to just under the edge of the pan
>Hot Italian sausage and pan fried zucchini are safe optiona
>finish with layer of grated mozzarella cheese(grate it yourself off a ball, its worth it)
>bake
>sprinkle with finely chopped fresh parsley because you a fancy motherfucker
Easy shit.

Yes! How'd you know?

Just a guess because I've been there a few times and I figured a combo Czech/Italian restaurant couldn't be too common. Also because of what you said about the chef.

Where'd you get the wild boar pappardelle?

It's not that hard, make a basic bolognese
>minced beef and sliced bacon, pan sear that shit
>onions, add later
>sliced carrots and celeriac (if you like that)
>tomato purée (add some sugar, as that shit is usually sour)
>a bit of garlic (one clove is enough), add in the last seconds before adding
>can of pellati friturati
>deglaze with beef Bouillon you can add some simple kitchen red wine if you want
>throw in a bay leaf for about 5min
>reduce temp
>let it cook down till it's almost dry
>season with marjoram, pepper & salt
put aside

Make a simple Béchamel-Sauce
>melt butter
>put flour into it and stew it until it's a nice mass
>before it turns brown throw some milk onto it
>season it with pepper and salt
>let it cook on med. temp for about 10min
>put aside, done.

Now we build it up...
>grease a gratin dish with olive oil
>fill the bottom with lasagna sheets that don't need any pre cooking
>fill it in the following order: Bolo, Béchamel, (if you want some extra parmesan), next layer of lasagna sheets till the gratin dish is almost full
>last layer Bolo, Béchamel, a mix of mozzarella and fresh parmesan.

Throw in the oven at 220°C for 30mins
>if it get's too dark throw some tinfoil over it
Enjoy.

False, Taco Bell is actually a decent fast food chain

Argentina

Vaiano Trattoria in Granite Bay. Everything I've tried there is delicious.

We have some here. Non chain. Fake grapes hanging from the ceiling, candles on table. Empty wine bottles full of dry mini breadsticks that are for decorating yet the local stock will eat them before the real breadsticks arrive. Menu full of stuff like ravioli and spaghetti. It's all completely mediocre but I don't mind it and the locals seems to enjoy it.

yelp.com/biz/trinacria-olympia

this was the last place i was ever able to get anything close to what OP was describing.

F

>yelp.com/biz/trinacria-olympia

Explain this shit.

>overcooked spaghetti
>giant chunks of undercooked onion
>sauce carelessly ladled over pasta instead of mixed together
>fucking kraft parmesan

I feel that sauce ladled on top vs sauce mixed in is a preference, but your other points still stand. Wtf how do you fuck up something this simple.

I've passed by this place tons of times and I've never stopped in. Now it's closed and I never will get the chance to.

Oh well.

how do you do fellow Washingtonians?

Yes, they still exist. I go to a local joint that has been open since 1949. They family that runs it is Greek though. It is downtown between the Black strip-club and a Christian Bookstore. The lasagna and the veal scalopini are fantastic.

>between the Black strip-club and a Christian Bookstore

I can't help but believe it's not a coincidence those two establishments are near to each other. There's probably a great deal of customer overlap.

There are tons of these places where I live, but that's probably becuase I live in the suburbs of NYC where all the italians and irish people white flight'd to 50 years ago.

>I live in the suburbs of NYC where all the italians and irish people white flight'd to 50 years ago.
And along with the Jews they made our local eats better for it, the same way new waves of immigrants into Brooklyn and Queens are making things better in terms of things to eat.

this is a shill for old school rune scape

Pizza by Napoli i think it's on bell

People, seriously, please watch this.

youtu.be/-h6ToaL6Qg8

Yelp link? I'm genuinely curious.

He is breathing so hard just standing there.

*heavy breathing*

That sauce is so oily it could be Marie's Italian sauce from italy

youtube.com/watch?v=VZPkIPfnzqs

Dude may have only a few years left in him but it seems like he can cook.

>no ricott
unacceptable

That's how you know it's a real homemade sauce, though. No jarred shit would ever look like that.

No its not dumb Amerilard

Whatever you do don't precook the pasta, it's unnecessary and a hassle

wrong
my ex wife insisted this was the case, i disagreed but said "OK"
she cooked it for like an hour and it came out crunchy like crickets
she agreed with me after that

Well I've done it correctly dozens of times so your wife was just shit

for one italian food is based on poverty, and its incredibly simple. then you have all the layers of purism surrounding italian food.
Add in the fact it hasnt evolved and is not healthy then you havr enough reasons to avoid italian.

hes using packaged or not enough liquid.

>that's better than what I'll ever make

There's your problem, right there....

>it's not healthy

and this is why Italy have such a low life expectancy, right? But I guess every italian place in murrika can't get in small portions

holy shit you are obsessed with America arent you? im Australian so the life expectancy is the same (82 years). italian food is unhealthy for the most part because of the history surrounding it.

Here you go dude: arianna.libero.it/web/ricerca?qs=ricetta di lasagna alla bolognese&f=ussug

Try one of the lasagna bolognese recipes.

My favorites are the recipes that just use a bolognese sauce, bechemel, and parmesan. Very simple, and not as fatty as the average American recipe.

No. There's a reason they make oven-ready lasagna pasta.

And I don't use it

There are a number of these left on Mott Street and every single one of them is shit

There are a handful in Belmont up in the Bronx and they can be alright sometimes

There's been a bit of a new-wave starch smothered in tomatoes lately with joints like Scarpetta and Quality Italian doing their own takes on this. It's not quite what you mean, with the candles stuck in chianti bottles, but it's inspired by those kinds of places. It's not really my thing but I gather they are trading off the novelty value for a younger generation that grew up in an age where red sauce was provocatively uncool and, therefore, exotic

only good stuff on mott street is in the chinatown section

this is good. But even then you can make small adjustments to it.

imo lasagna should be junk food considering how loaded you can make it.

I have one snug little Italian joint in my town but I barely ever go there.

Pic related.

dis nigga talked for like 20 second before he got winded. but yeah, I buy his argument.

>where they put avocado on the lasagna
This has never happened, in your entire experience on this earth.

Why are you so desperate for Veeky Forums's approval, OP?

BROOKLYN NYC
yelp.com/biz/ortobello-restaurant-brooklyn

I don't know where you live and dine, OP. I travel alot, and one thing is for sure, is there will always been good Italian if you hunt around. This kind of joint is exactly what the masses want, and it is the de facto base of every mom n pop family Italian restaurant. Maybe you dine at chains?

The only problem with most lasagna orders if you need to realize it is premade in a big casserole, so you will be getting something that has any varying degree of doneness, either boiling bubbling hot, but cold in the middle. The bechamel vs ricotta layer difference, is another issue. If you make a really good one at home, you'll likely prefer your style versus their style. I think that could be what places this on the back burner of pizza joints, maybe even they get complaints. It's a little easier to get those stuffed shells at the right temp. For the craft food of Italian mom and pop, I tend to try out their stuffed canneloni, manicotti, or ravioli to see if the chef can do something homemade in a good way. I also rank them on their garlic knots quality.

Nah the places OP is talking about are more like a 3 course meal for 29 bucks.
Usually family owned for a few generations, real old and greasy especially in the kitchen but it gives it "charm". There's one I worked at in my hometown and one in the town live in now. But their always scarce and have little advertisement if any. Real towny shit.
Rare these days because they get run out by more modern "casual fine dining" joints that run the prices you referred to.

By 29 I meant 20 bucks

>tfw my gf works at one of these places and brings home whole loaves of leftover Italian bread and canolis

>matty matheson

>ordering lasagna at a restaurant
>ever
>not just enjoying your nonna's generations old recipe when you visit on the holidays and the occasional Sunday dinner

Lmfao. If you aren't Italian, date an Italian girl or make Italian friends. Try their family recipe. No Italian orders lasagna at a restaurant, or even spaghetti and meatballs for that matter.

italian food is shit and their "men" are nothing but pathetic manlets

t. norway

Family recipes are always garbage.

ya, all over southern newengland down through NY/NJ. There are like 4 of these places within 3 miles of me. They put the olive garden right next to the highway.

I feel sorry for anyone who has to rely on a chain.

>not letting the meat just cook in the sauce
>thin sauce
>just ladling it over the plated pasta

2/wheeze

That depends on the family, doesn't it?

You savage Americans know nothing of Italian cooking.
Where's the appertivo? The primo? The Spritz?
Do you mudskins even know what Aperol is?
You think you know truffle? Ha ha ha. No. Your truffle is a chemical flavoring added to olive oil.
Oh and your olive oil, there is literally no laws to ensure its actually extra virgin.

While you're dying of heart disease, Italians are eating delicious cornettos, snacking on DOP parmesean cheese and drinking caffe.

You people are disgusting. Just stop. Your little experiment of a "culture" has failed

Go to Bamonte's in Brooklyn. It's exactly what you are describing.

Lmao what kind of statement is this? Maybe granny may's flyover sketti casserole isn't the bee's knees, but families from countries with strong food cultures, especially cultures known for the strength and closeness of the family unit usually always have a few delicious traditions passed down.

>not superior béchamel style.

What is pellati friturati?

There are still tons of these places in Northeast suburbs. I like them too.

it's tinned/chopped tomatoes.

Why does every chef throw salt and pepper on the meat from 4 feet away? The poorfag and cleanfreak inside me are screaming in unison whenever I see all the wasted salt on the table and floor.

>breathing from the exertion of standing up and talking for 30 seconds
how the fuck do people let themselves go this badly?

if my belly expands by one inch I have an emotional crisis and reject all food that isn't absolutely required for my basic nutritional needs until the crisis is resolved

do they just look at the mirror and go "well, I guess this is just fine"? do they look in the mirror at all?

What's your opinion on semen?

Red sauce is so bland

Pesto > White > Red

If I'm paying for food, I want more than a pile of boiled white flour.

Most chef does this, as it allows for easy distribution of salt and pepper without overseasoning or seasoning at a single spot.

Sounds good user.

>calling it "red sauce"
Are you a fucking child?

are you? the term refers to restaurants, it's rarely if ever used to refer to the actual food itself

it's like saying "greasy spoon". it doesn't literally mean that the spoons are greasy.

It's an vaguely old school name for Italian-American places. You're probably too young to have heard it.