Coconut oil 'as unhealthy as beef fat and butter'

I feel betrayed, Veeky Forums.

bbc.com/news/health-40300145

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mAwgdX5VxGc
food52.com/blog/19770-is-coconut-oil-as-good-for-you-as-everyone-says-hype-vs-hard-facts
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26068959
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/behindtheheadlines/news/2016-07-06-study-finds-link-between-saturated-fats-and-early-death/
cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

still a great lube

Butter is healthy tho

t. American dairy farmers

Someone tricked hipster cucks into eating basically lard and now they're shocked that it's bad for you.

>unhealthy because its calorie dense

Shoo shoo BBC tabloids

COCONUT OIL AS UNHEALTHY AS BUTTER!

(but you should still keep eating it because in moderation it's part of a healthy and balanced diet)

I stopped reading BBC a while ago because I got tired of the clickbait and misleading headlines

Its still valuable to tell people that they shouldnt except weight loss because they started using coconut oil. Some people have blatantly false beliefs about health.

This is what I mostly use it for, I don't like to cook with it.

I also use it as lube
>i'm a grill btw
but I've been cooking with it because for years it's been put out their as a "healthy" oil; a fuckin doctor told me i could eat as much as I want and there were no risks. Fuck I put it in tea, steamed rice, smoothies, I eat tablespoons of it plain sometimes because I'm underweight.

Now I'll know where my heart attack comes from.

Well duh. Olive oil is the healthiest oil and it's neutral.

> implying beef fat and butter are unhealthy

>its bad because it has calories

stop reading bbc

I don't want my dick to smell like coconuts.

>fat isn't fat

This.

>neutral
I disagree, rapeseed oil is much more neutral in flavor.

I meant health neutral, of course the taste isn't neutral.

>doesn't want dick to smell of coconuts

What? Why on earth not?

I love using coconut oil for multiple non cooking applications. Coconut oil makes a great body lotion, hair oiler, and of course lubricant.

It seems a little overrated to me for cooking uses except maybe baking. But I think I would rather use butter for baking anyway.

Dude, bitches love coconut flavored stuff. If you whip out your coco-cock in the bedroom you're getting a blowy for sure.

I rub it on sunburns, makes them heal faster and peel less.

Because I am white, not a Hindu.

better than smelling like piss, shit, fish etc

Do you not wash yourself?
Do you use coconut oil as a substitute for showering?

>Coconut oil 'as unhealthy as beef fat and butter'

So not unhealthy at all, then.

>fish
feminine penis detected

>Well duh. Olive oil is the healthiest oil and it's neutral.
no oil is healthy. avoid eating oil in general.

How's your cholesterol?

What a fag.

indeed

Look at this guy over here.

My ex used to rub coconut oil into her hair

i'm a type 2 diabetic. my heart disease and stroke risk is 3000% higher than the rest of the population.

can pop dietitians stop memeing for once in their goddamn lives and give me a straight answer on whether it's alright to eat butter and coconut oil?!

the 2000s called they want their fallacious beliefs back

>memeing
You're going to die by stupidity not diabettes related conditions.
Ha Ha!

>>its bad because it has calories
the article says nothing about calories. try reading it next time.

youtube.com/watch?v=mAwgdX5VxGc

just dont eat tonnes of it you dumb fuck

Lard is actually healthier.

I still fry in vegetable oil, because it's liquid at room temperature.

Bullets are healthier than knives

This has been suspected for a long time because coconut oil is high in the same types of saturated fats that red meat is high in - oleic acid, myristic acid and palmitic acid... coconut oil being high in palmitic, myristic, and lauric.

In fact the root of palmitic acid has its origins in cocnut trees which are part of the PALM family.

The world healthy organization (WHO) said in 2003 that these types of fats were on the same evidentiary level of being linked to cardio vascular disease as transfats, which were banned in most countries a couple years later.

The reason that red meats weren't banned as well is because of cultural reasons, and the reason that WHO stated for not placing coconut oil in the same evidentiary category was the reliance of many third world and tropical nations on coconut oil for a significant source of daily caloric intake with no available other options. They were afraid it would lead to some people starving themselves, which would of course be worse than slowly killing yourself by eating coconut oil.

As always, moderation is key and a variety of foods provides the best basis for nutrients and healthy calorie consumption.

This isn't really news, but it is nice to see scientists taking a firmer stand on coconut oils. This stance should have been taken by developed nations with many food choices a long time ago.

Zomg guys saturated fat is bad for you guys

Is this 1999?

processed coconut oil doesn't smell like coconuts. distinct oily smell, I'm not a fan of it myself, but it's so functional and useful I get over it and just try not to get it all over the place

plus it's edible, obviously. great for the bedroom.

>Coconut oil 'as unhealthy as beef fat and butter
So it's fine and good for you in moderation like you're meant to eat everything then?

>I'm not a fan of it myself, but it's so functional and useful I get over it
You want to explain what makes it more functional or useful than butter you hipster fuck.

he's talking about its use as lube, you twat. or do you keep a stick of butter next to your bed?

Moderation is not a word Americans are familiar with.

I never cook with it for have it for that reason.

Whenever I encounter it in my life, now, I just associate it with sex.

Exactly what I was thinking.

How much do you weigh,?

>I don't want my dick to smell like coconuts.

This is why you don't have a gf

food52.com/blog/19770-is-coconut-oil-as-good-for-you-as-everyone-says-hype-vs-hard-facts

tl;dr nothing you don't already know

I'll save you a lot of heartache

Shame that anyone ever told y'all that it was healthy, and a shame you never bothered to ask why it was so. It's ~13 times worse than Canola oil, and a bit worse than butter.

>as unhealthy as butter
news outlets still trying to push the fat is bad for you meme. sponsored by the high fructose corn syrup industry goym

Literally everything vegan hipsters endorse is bad for your health.

Be glad for your anonymity, because you look very dumb right now. They're not saying fat is bad for you, they're saying saturated fats are bad for you, which they actually factually are. Try eating a stick of butter or six eggs a day while living the sedentary life led by most of your compatriots, and see how your lipid panel turns out.
What's more, this "saturated fat fans vs simple carbohydrates fans" is a false dichotomy and you've really got to stop thinking in such simple and cartoonish ways. Nobody but you is dumb enough to jump to the defense of a molecule, and nobody ever said you had to eat either of those things.

I thought everyone used it for the high smoke point. Not because it was better for you.

>everyone is a couch potato like me
Not that guy but shut your pie hole

Please tell me where I said that

>fat is bad for you when you eat more than normal and don't exercise
sounds like it's the overeating and not exercising part that's bad

Given a person who eats that way and has heart issues, when they eat a comparable amount of polyunsaturated fats instead, their health improves by a magnitude similar to those that take drugs to treat their heart problems. Sat fats are worse for you than every type of fat but trans fats.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26068959
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/behindtheheadlines/news/2016-07-06-study-finds-link-between-saturated-fats-and-early-death/
Exercise helps, and saturated fats harm. Simple as that. You can outweigh one with the other, but choosing to eat saturated fats over healthier options will push you towards poor health.
Also, when talking about how the masses should eat, you should assume that people aren't going to exercise, especially in America. Everyone knows that exercise is healthy, but it's normal to elect to not do it, so we should frame our conversation around those that don't exercise. If you assume everyone exercises, then you dampen the importance of this conversation by a lot.

Most people just eat too much in general though, which could be the problem. If 3 out of 4 people are overweight, you need to see if getting to a healthy weight takes care of most of those problems.

cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

>ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too

>His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

>The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.

>Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent

Or maybe, people should temper their statements with context instead of saying FAT BAD! CRABBOHYDRATES GOOD! like a late night POTUS tweet

If people can memorize the names of the characters on "orange is the new black" then surely they can be expected to remember more than simple two-word statements about macronutrients

If you're a femanon enjoy your yeast infection

I agree passionately with all of this, and I'm familiar with the "trash food Physics professor" study. But still, the thread's about the sat fats in coconut oil being unhealthy, and butter being unhealthy, which they are. That doesn't preclude simple carbohydrates from bein unhealthy too.
>Or maybe, people should temper their statements with context instead of saying FAT BAD! CRABBOHYDRATES GOOD! like a late night POTUS tweet
I've never seen this, though I've seen the opposite pretty often what with the prominence of the keto diet, and how folks get offended when I say saturated fats are unhealthy.

They're not unhealthy just because it's easier to consume too much. If you want to go with that thinking then we should all have nothing but water and cabbage because it's really hard to overdo those foods.

I use coconut oil because it helps my gut problems.

3 tablespoons a day and once I've emptied my jar I'm gonna stop.

Am I going to be alright Veeky Forums?

It legitimately helps me though, let's me flush out yeast and other bacteria that give me trouble.

Butter and coco oil is fine if you use it only for cooking and not topping (like on toast or baked potato) and if you don't go full retard and Paula Dean that shit.
>t. first person in family to not have diabeetus as an adult.

I lost forty pounds over a 5 month period following s Keto inspired diet. I didn't avoid carbs to a drastic number but I kept it within a 100 gram level.

I'm not smart enough to grasp the concept of Ketosis, what I can say is I found it easier to stay within 1800 Calories/day when having a omelette for breakfast then say oatmeal.

Fats are insanely filling. I and most fatties can eat a whole bag of chips no problem, but sticking with cheese and meat not so much surprisingly.

Obviously the best diet is one full of nutritious food that puts all those vitamins and antioxidants in your body. But I tried many times and I just didn't find myself shedding pounds while on such diets. Fat and Protein while avoiding processed foods made me go down from XXXL to XL.

Ultimately I think Paleo makes the most sense. It focuses on the best foods and avoids the high glycemic index items.

You're reaching. I don't think I've said anything in my last two posts about eating in excess, and if I have, please point it out to me. I've only said that saturated fat is, drop for drop, more detrimental to your health than polyunsaturated fat.

can't be too bad for exercising, given the saturated fat content.

But my point is about consuming in excess. Consuming anything in excess is going to cause problems. Consuming too much water will make you sick, so it's not surprising that consuming too much saturated fat makes you sick in a different way. When the majority of people are consuming too much and overweight, you can't really just say it's unhealthy and should be avoided entirely.

>When the majority of people are consuming too much and overweight, you can't really just say it's unhealthy
nobody's saying it should be avoided entirely either, but you certainly can say it's unhealthy, because overconsumption is accounted for by these studies. Replacing saturated with polyunsaturated fats makes you demonstrably healthier (no talk of eating in excess here, or weight, only normal intake and cardiovascular health), and there is a defined biochemical mechanism by which we can see that saturated fats contribute to hypertension. Those two things make it factually so that saturated fats are unhealthy compared to other fats. You're exaggerating one way to say that I say they should be avoided entirely, and exaggerating another way to say that they're only unhealthy because of how people overeat. Both are not true.

The first study you linked says people lost weight after reducing their saturated fat intake, meaning they were consuming too much food. They also, in some cases, provided the entire diet to people in the study. So obviously taking someone who is overweight and consuming 3000 calories from a diet that includes saturated fat, to a 2000 calorie diet with no saturated fat will become healthier. Is it just because of a reduction in saturated fat? I don't think so.

Also I don't see anything that says they accounted for excess food consumption, being overweight, or if that maintaining the same diet while keeping saturated fat but in smaller amounts resulted in the same benefits.

I don't eat it though.
Fucker beat me to it.

>Subgrouping suggested that the reduction in cardiovascular events was seen in studies that primarily replaced saturated fat calories with polyunsaturated fat...
note the "primarily"
>and there were suggestions of greater protection with greater saturated fat reduction or greater increase in polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats
I took this to mean that most people didn't significantly change caloric intake, and the health improvements were mainly from replacement of satfats.
I took the fact that it uses data from RCTs as reason to think they had average intake, which I guess you could say is excessive. Depends on your outlook really.
Either way, this shows that those that consume saturated fats in excess are less healthy than those that consume unsaturated fats in the same degree of excess.

>tfw eat the fuck out of beef fat
>tfw use the fuck out of butter in cooking
>tfw also use coconut oil
>tfw 140 lbs, borderline underweight if not flat out underweight for my height

my arteries must look like a fucking warzone
I'm gonna die guys

It's hard for me to believe what you say through that study because it plainly says people lost weight by reducing saturated fat intake. They lost weight by reducing the number of calories, which will make people healthier. It could be true that overconsuming saturated fat is worse than unsaturated, but then that could also mean consuming both in moderation is perfectly fine and that the problem is being overweight. And if that's the case, then it's more important to get people to stop eating so much than to switch to unsaturated fat because if they're still overweight they'll still have health problems.

Obeisty is definitely the worst for you, but the study overtly states that the results are mainly based on saturated fats compared to other calorie sources. There are tons of other studies that say this too. Yes it's more important to lose weight, but nobody but you is talking about that here. Consuming saturated fat is worse for your cardiovascular system than consuming unsaturated fats, full stop.

>Consuming saturated fat is worse for your cardiovascular system than consuming unsaturated fats
Where specifically are you reading that?

Shitty generalization from an outdated agency. There are several types of HDL and LDL cholesterols and good saturated fats increase the 'fluffy' LDL particle amount which is potentially helpful compared to the smaller, denser particles that contribute to atherosclerosis

You got HDL and LDL mixed up

nah, LDL comes in a few different forms, it can either be large and saturated with cholesterol, large and mostly depleted of cholesterol aside from triglycerides, small and saturated or small and depleted. the small particles are the ones that cause an issue in the end.

Fluffy LDL is a myth, they're just as bad and maybe even worse because they're more likely to get oxidised. It's literally a trick by several lobby groups (like the dairy one) to try to get their oroducts to sell.

That's quite an interesting claim my friend.

You go ahead and provide prove that there are different types of LDL, you were the one to initially claim that.

>Subgrouping suggested that the reduction in cardiovascular events was seen in studies that primarily replaced saturated fat calories with polyunsaturated fat...
This means that the 17% risk reduction for myocardial events is "primarily" from replacing saturated fats with polyunsaturated fats.
Then this one: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/behindtheheadlines/news/2016-07-06-study-finds-link-between-saturated-fats-and-early-death/
>a long-term study conducted in the US including more than 120,000 people – found that swapping saturated fat and / or trans fats for polyunsaturated fat such as olive oil could reduce the risk of dying by 27%
Pretty cut and dry there I think
This is all actually irrelevant when you have clinical evidence of the result of diets high in saturated fats. You're attacking the middle of the
> Saturated fats -> High LDL levels -> hypertension/death
logical chain when these studies show a direct
> saturated fats -> hypertension/death
correlation.

Actually I'm not the guy you were originally talking to, I was just curious on your source.

The "fluffy LDL" thing is a way of trying to divert attention, it's true that there's a difference but big LDL is bad too, just not as bad as small LDL. It was like 30% increased risk compared to 40%.

But the study doesn't seem like it was a 1:1 replacement of saturated fat with unsaturated. It seems like they were also reducing the total amount of fat/calories consumed.

Reducing calories, AND 1:1 replacing. The participants did both, but mainly replacing. This is for the first one.
For the Harvard one, they pretty much say that the results only honed in on replacement, and they also did pic related, so changes in BMI are accounted for in their calculations.

Start exercising

Oils have almost no nutritional value for their calorie content you retards. Just because something doesn't directly contribute to clogging your arteries doesn't mean it is healthy.

You say that as if 2017 is some sort of age of enlightenment

What's that, you wrote a computer program, made a little website, you uploaded some videos to Youtube? Well, let me take this opportunity to congratulate you, the monkey learned a trick. Look at you, uploading comments. You're already spewing your vile filth all over the computer, huh? Congratulations! You must have an IQ in the double digits!
Here's a little piece of advice. The next time you're gonna unload your jealousies and inadequacies online, here's a little piece of advice. Here's a little piece of advice, slick. Next time you're gonna go on the computer (mommy and daddy bought you a new computer!), you're going to unload your jealousy and inadequacies on somebody else, on a stranger? Just make sure you don't pick Sam Geno, the son of the Papa Geno Pizza empire. I've bought people like you. I've destroyed people like you. It's nothing for me to call up my father, and have every pizza jockey in the nation have a photo of you, right above their oven. Thinking about you, my personal army of pizza makers.
They'll put sauce on you. They'll lay you out. Swing you around in the air just like in the old movies.

Then they'll destroy you. Piece by piece. Piece by delicious piece. Cheesy piece by cheesy crusty piece. They'll destroy you.

That's option one. Option two is you can apologize to me. Just say you're sorry. Takes a big man to apologize, don't it? Humble yourself before a god, a pizza god?
Anyway. That's about it. Go fuck yourself.

Saturated fat is saturated fat - what did you expect? Someone is making their money off telling the public that saturated fat is the worst and low fat is still the king and they are going to forcibly push that idea for as long as they can continue to get away with it.

Do you really think they care about your health? Even if your own doctor does, he or she is going off the science that is allowed - that is, the only science funded these days fuels the fire for leftist ideology.

>needing lube

lmao @ ur """"""life"""""'

You should definitely cut at least the butter, and get your lipid panel tested asap, then like twice a year so you can watch it improve. If it's real bad, start eating fiber and running if you don't already do cardio. This shit ain't a game, it's really gonna ruin you when you hit mid 30s.

I've never really used butter to cook with since I run out too fast. A jar of oil lasts so much longer.