How does Veeky Forums feel about Canadian cuisine?

How does Veeky Forums feel about Canadian cuisine?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=akKSc6jbAew
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

outside of poutine what is there?

I like it

Semi-frozen maple syrup rolled around a stick
Raw blubber from whales and seals
Snow

do canadians really eat pine cones?

there are some tiny nuts in them but i dont know how to reach it and ever bothered

OP here, yes, we do. It's traditionally served with maple syrup as a snack to accompany an ice cold Molson Light.

I enjoy moose mousse

normally you just wait for them to get big and they fall out with these wing flaps, normally if they are in the cone its not worth the effort getting them out

last time I was in inuvik/nwt they served us some traditional Inuit food like smocked moose nose, whale blubber, beaver tails, (not the pan bread) berries and salmon...
It was.... special...

I let the squirrels get them out (which they seem very adept at). Then I eat the squirrels.

I remember seeing something on TV about "Eskimo ice cream", which was basically a mixture of chilled seal fat, sweet berries, and some herbs from the tundra all mashed together into a goop that looks vaguely like ice cream.

Canadians are weird.

>Snow
I laughed more then i should

Canadian cuisine is kinda like American, it's mostly just a take from other cultures and either improvised or improved to appease local tastes. For example a "Canadian dish" is ginger beef which is a Chinese restaurant take out food that's just beef in a sweet sauce (most places don't add ginger to it).

A few dishes have been invented here, there are also the foods of Native Canadians but most people don't eat anything like this on a daily basis. It kinda makes food here in Canada really interesting because you can eat dimsum for breakfast, sushi for lunch and fish and chips for dinner.

A lot of "Canadian" food is actually very regional. For example here in Vancouver you can find salmon jerky in many varieties. I have not seen salmon jerky anywhere else in the world. It is amazing. On the east coast of Canada they have a lot of oyster and mussel farms along with a lot of lobsters. Mussels are actually my favourite food and the best ones I've ever had were Prince Edward Island mussels in a moonshine sauce. Nanaimo bars supposedly come from Nanaimo, BC and are pretty much the best dessert this country made. Supposedly Quebec has the best food in Canada but I've never been and can't confirm. The famous dishes like poutine and Montreal smoked meat certainly do come from there.

You laugh but Google snow cream.

pretty much all good canadian food comes from western BBQ or quebec.

quebec has epic jew bagels and smoked meat sammys. also the true pioneers of poutine and drunk foods as most quebecers are fierce alcoholics.
montreal haute cuisine is some of the finest in the world.

everywhere else in canada is pretty much shit apart from a few east coast dishes and the very rare well cooked fish and chip plate.
the flyover provinces are just fucking awful, ontario is basically shit unless youre willing to pay double for a shittier version of quebec food.

pic related, some ontario fish and chips that were fucking amazing, an extremely rare occurrence here.

>sammys

>he refers to sandwiches as "sammys"
Opinion discarded.

pine nuts look like this

fuck you nigger ill refer to them as anything i want, this is america not your weeb dream,

I thought we were talking about Canada on a Laotian water-buffalo breeding discussion board.

I love to call them Sambos.

It's a well-known fact that the only people who say "sammy" unironicslly when not refering to a person named Samuel are smarmy soccer moms over the age of 40 who don't work and spend their "hubby's" money on sickeningly sweet wines and dinner parties prominently featuring "this new recipe I saw in Reader's Digest that is super delish!"

No red blooded Canadian would be caught dead eating that without gravy

You should really spend your time learning the difference between 'then' and 'than' rather than laughing at silly jokes on Veeky Forums.

sangwidges

No one has mentioned the true Canadian food institution yet...

Timbits

Fuck off, bagged milk is only a fucking thing in Ontario. Everywhere else uses jugs like normal fucking people.

t. Hongcouver

>leaf getting triggered this hard

butter tarts, donairs

Growing up in Ontario we always had bagged milk (parents were from Northern Ontario, a lot like rural flyover country in the USA), but living in downtown Ottawa I have not even seen bagged milk in any of the local grocery stores (Loblaws, Metro, and Whole Foods), it's all paper cartons with one just brand doing glass bottles & deposits. Seems like the bagged style is being phased out.

Didn't people just put the bagged milk into a jug as soon as they brought it home?

Yeah, you put it in your standard bagged milk jug and then cut the corner with scissors. It might look flimsy but they always stayed in the jug, worked just as well as a paper carton or glass bottle.

It's probably not healthy how we seem to rest so much of our national identity on a 53-year-old coffee chain with mediocre doughnuts.

I live 30 miles from the Alberta border and pick up a box of pic related every time I visit.

I still don't get how ketchup chips are a Canadian thing. All the major chip brands here make ketchup flavour, even fucking Doritos, so I though it was universal.

Shouldn't this be an obvious one for America? I mean, I thought Americans were notorious for (among other things) drowning everything in ketchup.

I live in London and Hamilton, and I see lots of bagged milk in both places. Even in Toronto.

Nothing tastes like the Old Dutch kind to me. I tried a few US brands, they're either spicy, sweet or just off flavored.

Am I missing anything else to try in Canada . I also will get the famous milk in a bag also tim Hortons.

Make sure when you're in Newfoundland, you go somewhere they do the full ceremony.

American here, ketchup is pretty much the last thing I think of when I try and decide what to dip my potato chips in. Fries maybe, but chips and ketchup just sound wrong to me. Like pickles and peanut butter.

Do you not have dill pickle chips either?

I think we do, but that sounds like a novelty flavor to me. I know we have salt and vinegar chips, but those taste like bile to me so I never get them.

poutine obviously. i know Veeky Forums hates it for no reason but it really is amazing. just dont cheap out on it.

Montreal smoked meat and Montreal style bagels
Ginger beef if you go for Chinese food
Salmon jerky
Hot chicken sandwich
Seal meat if you're feeling adventurous

Also apparently cream soda is usually brownish or clear in other countries(?). Try some pink soda in Canada if you like.

If you're coming from the US, don't forget to try a Kinder Surprise. Also our A&Ws are almost completely different from yours.

ketchup potato chips, maple syrup, bagged milk, mcpizza

>mcpizza
Huh? The only McDonald's locations with pizza are in Ohio, West Virginia, and Florida.

Fair question. It lasted a lot longer in Canada than it did most other places. I guess it's gone now though.

Ketchup is vinegar and tomatoes.

So ketchup potatoes chips is basically salt and vinegar chips, plus tomatoes. And that's awesome.

Isn't pic related Qubecois-core and Kraft dinner for the rest. I also read that KD isn't like American cheese and macaroni.

on top of what everyone else said, caesers. also canadian-style pizza is a pepperoni with mushrooms and bacon.

Can confirm, it's literally only an Ontario/Toronto thing.

You forgot the mashed up deer and berries dried on a rock.

surely they have unique raindeer and moose recipes right?

False, I'm from NS and we have bagged milk.
Also the best Canadian regional cuisine is Acadian (East coast French) food.

>Caesars
This

I'm afraid of pine nuts after having pine mouth.

calling a sandwich a 'sammy' makes you seriously retarded and gay.

>Acadian
>good at anything except taking Albertan jobs while simultaneously being terrible at them
fuck you

Nanaimo bars.

Kraft Dinner is similar to mac and cheese only in that they're both noodle based dishes. Very different taste in my experience.

KD is better.

its so shit just dont go to timmies. they shouldve just stuck to beverages, sweets and simple soups and sandwiches. now they tryna be all like gourmet n shit

Donairs are not Canadian.

They have the absolute worst donuts of any chain out there. They're always so fucking dry and taste as if they were made a week ago, because usually they were. The iced capps though, can't beat those.

They definitely are. They're from Nova Scotia and also popular in Alberta.

Perhaps you're thinking of "doner"

this nigga knows.

Tim Hortons donuts were phenomenal when they were made in store, probably 15+ years ago. Now they're all pre-made and flash frozen so they can just deep fry and fill them at the store. I can't say how they taste in comparison to American donuts though.

I feel closer to Canada, in the way that I can ask where the Toques are in a store and they know what I'm talking about immediately.

Also Red Rose tea used to be strong, but now it's a shadow of itself.

Can confirm Toronto has bag milk everywhere as recent as Feb 2017. Just go to the smaller grocery stores instead of the big chain retail stores.

Montreal/QC also has (had?) Milk come in bags, at least in the 80s and 90s.

I don't understand it myself. Wouldn't you need a clip or something to keep the bag closed?
Letterkenny says Americans don't have all dressed either. Weird.

Depends where you're visiting?

How is confit de canard specific to Canada?

>How is confit de canard specific to Canada?
Don't take my word for it but I think Martin Picard is the first who came up with the duck in a can technique.

You bring up an interesting point sir. I went to a French restaurant (Salade de Fruits, Vancouver), ordered the confit, and they served it straight out of the can like in the picture. No putting a nice crispy sear on it like they're supposed to.

So confit's not a canadian thing (nobody could argue that, though they might try), but serving it cold and uncrisped from a can might be.

>implying you can be terrible at driving trucks while dipping
and those jobs only exist (more like existed, lol) because of the government pouring federal subsidies into the oil sands

Canada is the national version of Branson.

Newfie cuisine best cuisine

I worked at Tims when they switched. We had a large meeting of all the franchisee's stores and told numerous times not to call them frozen. They're par-baked. They fired 2 of the bakers and the other 2 became managers.

Quality definitely went down. Became a lot easier for the high school staff to mess around all night though.

fuck yes, jig's dinner my nigga

I like poutine, and that looks disgusting.

Canadian weed

Molson Canadian beer

hawaiian pizza is also canadian

it's poutine with stuffing (maritimers call it dressing for some reason) on it instead of cheese. seriously fucking delicious.

I've only heard of BC bud and that was late 90s. With the relaxed laws, you might as well of mentioned the $50 a pack cigarettes you call Players (which suck btw).

you mean like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=akKSc6jbAew

nsfag. lobster rolls from lions club at the expo. FUCKING SCALLOP BURGER. Clams and chips. And goddamn chicken chips. South shore for life

Cuz it dresses the meat and ya don't stuff it in anything or it dries the bird

They're pretty decent when eaten still alive

back bacon on rye with fried eggs prior to piloting your skidoo through a hole in the ice with half a fifth of crown royal in your bloodstream

>I have not seen salmon jerky anywhere else in the world
It's in every fucking Trader Joe's. And in every bait shop in Alaska.

>pine mouth
I had to google this. Never heard of it.

That's terrifying.

>it's everywhere in the US

No shit, imported from Canada no doubt. You know it's not the 17th century and there's such a thing as widespread international trade, right?