Why are poor people so fascinated with steak?

Why are poor people so fascinated with steak?

Because they rarely get to eat it, and the high quality steaks even more rarely? Just guessing, since I'm quite poor myself but steak isn't exactly my cup of tea. Especially if we consider that steak is meat and tea is a liquid.

On that note, I wonder if drinking tea after having steak is common, though. You know, I don't get to eat steak that often since I'm quite poor, and though I don't particularly care for it, I got curious about these questions sometimes, even if for purely intellectual reasons.

i'm poor and i eat steak almost everyday.

of course i buy the cheapest cuts though.

I'm poor. Never had steak before. Met rich chick. Her parents took me to dinner. Ordered steak. Choked bad. Almost died.

Are you autistic

Delicious, wide variety of important nutrients that can be difficult to get elsewhere, calorie-dense, considered fairly luxurious. Something about eating such a large animal does something to you too.

I've been vegetarian/vegan for almost five years now but in the past year I've eaten two steaks for curiosity. It was a pretty curious experience, and I couldn't talk to anyone while I was doing it. Personally I prefer not to but there's a spiritual element to eating it that's quite dark and I definitely felt weird after doing it.

are you high right now

>isn't completely obsessed with muh salted cooked beef
>must be crazy or on drugs!
This must be what they mean when they talk about carnism

Holy shit was it that obvious?
I even forgot what I typed when I revisited this thread. But still, rereading this I realized my opinion is still the same.

Coincidentally and funnily enough, his joke was actually spot on, as I am actually high on weed. The opinion is still a rational one I'd have had under normal circumstances though (whether I'd be typing it out would be another matter).

Same reason poor people have 50"+ TVs. They think it's a sign of having a good life.

tea sucks dick, you faggot of doom

I'm middle-class and I've still never had USDA Prime steak. Everyone loves beef and poor people don't get to have the pinnacle of it.

DUDE

Do you only have a 10 inch CRT monitor or something

I eat flank steak almost everyday

Not the guy you're asking but I have a 22" on my RDP to work and shitposing on Veeky Forums machine, and no TV

If I want to catch a film I go to BAM Rose Cinema or the IFC or whatever

US culture grew out of English culture. Beef has traditionally been the most desirable food to the English. We picked this up from them. And in the 19th Century the railroads made it possible to distribute beef from the western part of the country all the way across it. What was the result? Steakhouses opened up as pretty much the first restaurants in major cities. Why? Because pretty much everyone who could afford to do so wanted to go out to eat steak. Like smoking a good cigar and wearing a tuxedo eating steak became a symbol of success. A lot of those restaurants are still in business because people with a lot of money still enjoy going out and dropping a large sum on a steak.

Why are poor people so fascinated with steak? Because it's a luxury they can actually afford once in a while. They may never have a sports car, a great big house or even a well tailored suit, but they can go to Walmart, drop $15 and come home with a steak. They can then cook it poorly and eat it convincing themselves that it's just as good as what people are eating that night at Delmonico's. And there's no reason to shatter this illusion for them, because they're never going to eat at Delmonico's anyway.

WEED

>moments before this post was made

What kind of fucking stupid question is that?

Did you get it well-done?

Faggot

>is poor
>is high on drugs
Potery

At least you idiots figured out something utterly meaningless to argue about before you end up homeless, drug dead or suicidal.

Sorry, are you people not in end stage depression? Because this conversation seems like people in extremis expressing their human misery to other people. Are you guys all just fine and dandy?

you just described Veeky Forums, are you new?

wow, that's a pity, rich life is not for everyone, i guess

Why are you fascinated by the opinions of poor people?

Kill yourself faggot. Its not the world's fault that you have no to buy you a $50 hunk of meat and drinks like beer or shots. Your life is, as a fucking poor, doesnt deserve a great steak and the friendshit that comes with a good steak.

because i never really had one, and i'm 30
but now i'm afraid to choke on it like that guy

Because it's the most fancy pleb food.

I don't even like steak
Breakfast sausage is my favorite meat

>Breakfast sausage is my favorite meat
Ever make your own?

>Why are poor people so fascinated with steak?
Lol red meat, especially steak, is rarely eaten and considered an indulgence. Rich folk love grilled steak.

because it's tasty

Steak is fine but LOBSTER is the biggest pile of shit memefood that poor people pay exorbitant money to eat. Lobster is a trash shellfish with so little flavor that the customary way to eat it is dipped in a vat of melted butter. You know what else gets dipped in vats of melted butter? Fucking popcorn! It's complete trash and these faggots pay $30+ for a single measly little tail of rubbery, flavorless meat.

Give me ANYTHING but lobster. Crab, scallops, shrimp, crayfish, ANYTHING is superior to this trash memefood.

this this this this this this this /this

Because it was once eaten by the owning classes because poor people could not afford it and poor people like to imitate the owning classes to put on some airs.
Ofcourse in proper high class restaurants they don't serve beefsteak any more, that is what the poor people eat.

lots of reasons actually. I don't think you can accurately put together a correlation between the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum and a fairly common way to consume meat

Medium rare
It was bad. Had to do chew-swallow checks to make sure my throat muscles worked allright. They did but I never had steak again. Later I choked on a salmon bone and had to get it surgically removed. Sucks to be me I guess.

lobster pisses me off, yeah
crab has actual flavor, lobster doesn't have shit

it's literally a meme from forever ago
steak was associated with status (since before refridgeration, eating meat frequently tended to be expensive, particularly meats like beef), and poor people are obsessed with increasing their status, real or perceived

mind you, steak is pretty tasty
got to go on a fancy all-inclusive cruise that would have cost like $10k if I wasn't related to my father (who worked for the company)
so I ended up having steak every other day for dinner (couldn't do every day, would have fucking died) -- most days were the fairly ordinary cook that'd do it to order in the buffet area and I could go out and spend like $20-30 and get the same thing wherever if I was back on land
but on two occasions, I had steak in the on-board high end steakhouse that you had to book in advance, and I had some really top-grade steak there that I haven't had anything like since because I haven't been to a high-end steakhouse on land

>it's literally a meme from forever ago
>steak was associated with status
Totally true. You know how back in the day guys used to walk around with toothpics in their mouths? That was showing off that they were wealthy enough to have just eaten a chunk of meat at their last meal. Don't forget during the Depression people literally starved to death, and for many meat was a luxury that was out of their reach. A steak was the ultimate aspirational meal for them.

This isn't a thing in my country. Must be an American thing.

The food that people equate to wealth here is seafood. Particularly Moreton bay bugs.

are you a real person?

t. literally sucks penises for others pleasure

What?

what did he mean by this?

Because steak is mild in flavor and majority of meat eaters enjoy it as a "delicacy". Also many cows in USA.

I think it's more about the texture off the lobster as well as the seasoning/ cooking methods used to cook it. On that note why is everything have to be old bay seasoned? It's good but eating it over and over again is tiresome.

wowzers

I'm poor and I don't understand it either.

The irony is almost tangible

Maybe if you are completely poor living in a big expensive city I can understand not being to afford steak
Even for better quality meat it's still fucking steak not diamonds you can afford it

Maybe I can't get my hands on the best quality ingredients in the world and maybe I can't have my kitchen as stocked as a world class restaurant but k live and die by my cooking
People didn't need to dump a fortune in a restaurant or expensive took and fancy name ingredients to make delicious food in the past, where do you think the food you like was created?
Do you think Mexicans, Italians or Chinese could afford to spend d a week salary on one meal?

I don't splurge for steak too often, maybe 1 every other month is I can find a decent and cheap rib-eye.

It's nice to put foods you normally don't budget for on a bit of a pedestal, makes it seem like a very nice treat to yourself.

Do you eat like a duck or something?

All these fags obviously trying to understand how middle class people work, they're fucking idiots

I can tell you how country people here in Texas do it, my family has a whole BBQ set up and we usually do our steaks on a green egg, we'll season them with Tony's, garlic powder, pepper, and kosher salt, then grill them on each side

Plus the stores around here sell good thick ribeyes, pic related

Weed isn't all that expensive bro

Lol, I have that exact same plate set. Looks like a nice ribeye.

Steak is much more expensive than other meats. Things that are expensive gain more value in a social sense too. Also beef is nicer than other meats unless this is conditioning talking, but compare a pork chop or chicken wing to a steak.

>steak isn't exactly my cup of tea. Especially if we consider that steak is meat and tea is a liquid.

what?

why did you chill your whisky?

Marijuana is not harmless

"Those" poor people are often poor because of their low motivation and materialistic greed, i.e they want the cheapest possible "taste of the high life", in this case a steak.

Because apparently we're all still trying to understand how the "middle class works".

No, I have a normal 40" TV. But a lot of poor people have 70" tvs that they are proud of and think that blowing $100+ on going out for steak is the best food experience they can possibly have.

Because they can't afford it.
Also, people who don't know how to cook are obsessed with steak aswell because it's so fucking easy and unimaginative.

Every class gets high ya dingus