Are poke bowls a meme?

Are poke bowls a meme?

How is a Charizard supposed to fit inside of that?

yea absolutely

a popular food since the 70's now seeing wide spread exposure, totally a meme.

I don't know OP, why don't you go try one and see if you enjoy it.

>now seeing wide spread exposure, totally a meme.
Correct, just like when Sriracha got super famous, once you start seeing something everywhere it's reached meme status.

define meme

In Veeky Forums usage it can be a synonym for fad.

so, no a food item popular in a region for 60 years is not a fad.

Something doesn't have to be new to be a fad, it just has to be new to the type of people who follow fads.

It's a fad because it's EVERYWHERE now. If you don't like the word fad either then let's call it a trend.

a fad is short lived by definition

I hope you're a fad.

individual human lives are ephemeral in nature, so rest easy friend.

This. LITERAL definition of meme.

is language a meme?

yes
yes

Ever been to Hawaii?

but is it a dank meme?

Is the term meme just another meme?!

Yes. The ramen shop my wife works at (70% Japanese kitchen) just added it to their menu. Apparently they sell like hotcakes.

The popularity of a fad might be short lived by definition, not the subject itself.

Pokemon was a fad in the 90s, it still exists as a niche hobby
TMNT was a fad in the late 80s, it still exists as an IP with new merchendise and media every year

Something can be a fad and still continue to exist, or have existed prior to being a fad

> Something can be a fad and still continue to exist, or have existed prior to being a fad

How retarded does someone have to be to ask if something is a fad or not? Look at fidget spinners. If someone can't tell me whether or not they're a fad, they're just not cut out for "life." Just a matter of time before they walk into a ravine or something.

no
meme is the only truth.

Honestly I'd rather save 2-4 bucks and just get a regular kaisen buri. The unlimited free toppings is nice and all but I don't want to pay 15+ bucks for it.

i think the conflict arises from whether or not the fad is good food or bad food, not whether its a fad in of itself

He isnt wrong though

It's a meme but a delicious meme. Pretty healthy too. All those omega 3s and protein from the fish and vitamins from the veg

It's a fad everywhere outside of Hawai'i.

If it gets more white people to eat raw fish.

I'm sure you'll recognize that fidget spinners are a fad, right? They've existed for plenty of years before now and only now are they taking off. Same thing here.

As someone that is born and raised, living in Hawaii. Its a total fucking meme. Me, my father, my grandfather, and everyone in that time period has been eating raw fish and hot rice since childhood. It's a meme because you fucking haoles exploit every good thing in hawaii.

Keep it up. With that kind of attitude, we're gonna take your canned meat away from you.

You fuckheads are just as bad as racist white hillbillies from flyover land. I can't wait for all native hawaiians to be genetically obliterated by mass-interbreeding with so-called "haoles". The end of your '''''culture''''' can't come soon enough

Do you think meme is a synonym for fad?

So what the fuck is this, just open faced sushi?

I live in NorCal, and poke has been here forever, BUT, there has been a rise in "poke bars". They're popping up fucking everywhere. The best poke though is still made by Japanese Hawaiian guys in the good sushi bars though. The last time a friend of mine dragged me to a poke bar, it was mediocre. So yeah, I'd say they're a meme/trend/fad whatever you want to call it.

They're like electricity or something, I dunno.

No, it's seasoned raw fish (cubed and mixed with various seasonings) over a bowl of rice with toppings like seaweed salad, raw vegetables, tamago, shredded nori, avocado, etc, etc.
It's good, but I'd still rather have a variety of sashimi and nigiri.