Daily wine thread

So given the performance of recent wine threads I think we can now support more than one wine thread at once, as with beer threads and liquor threads

What wine are Veeky Forums drinking today? I picked up this unfiltered biodynamic rosé, mostly tempranillo. But not just unfiltered:

>su embotellado ... se realiza siguiendo las fases de la luna y el calendario biodinamico

I never knew I needed this in my life but now that I have it I don't think I can ever go back. TBQH I feel sorry for people whose wines are at odds with the lunar cycle. But we can't all be me so, post what wine you're drinking

I'm new to wine, whats a decent dark red for around $10?

how dark we talking?
some cannonau from sardinia or cahors wine from france might fit the bill
but if you're flyover that stuff may exceed the limit by a lot assuming you can find it at all

Not sure, I'm near Chicago so my options may not be as vast as yours. But just something you'd recommend to those not well versed with wine.

I usually just down whiskey but I've been wanting to try some wines

Apothic

I've seen that, I'll give some a shot.

Thanks

I have lived in Chicago, I am pretty sure Binnys should have cannonau. Not cahors though.

If they're asking for a red wine at $10 dollars, I'm fairly certain they're hoping to find it at their local grocery store.

I suggest Primal Roots Red. It's a fairly dark red blend that is delicious and great for beginners. You are also likely to find it at your grocery store.

Blau Monsant, if you like spanish wine.

I can't seem to distinguish the flavors of different red wine, they all taste very similar.
But with white wine it's easier.

Am I broken?

You need to drink more and make sure to take some water inbetween trying different wines.

Nah

Ive always liked all kinds of wine, and I drink it frequently, but I had your problem till I went wine tasting for the first time. As a newbie, I was taught the 'correct way' of sampling wines.
Putting aside the stuff about staring at your wine and sniffing it a million times before tasting (I know youve gotta take in the aroma, but I feel like you can over do it) one must that I learned from the whole thing was how much easier it is to really distinguish flavors while drinking if, after you swish, you inhale through your mouth right after swallowing. Something about allowing air to travel over your tongue right after a sip really let me actually pick out those different notes of flavor that I never noticed before.
Yeah, Im a pleb, dont care, but that may help you enjoy and differentiate wines a bit more user.

Do you let them breath? You know that acidic taste you get when you just pour a glass. You especially gotta do this with older wines

Not drinking anything rn but im about to go on a wine trip on the weekend to Szekszárd and im P U M P E D

Buying wine at the grocery store is like buying meat at the gas station. I seriously hope you guys don't actually do this.

My dude. My new place I found recently only stocks unfiltered biodynamic small producer sulfite-free wines, along with local nanobrewery beers and ciders.

The wine epiphany is real.

How is it?
>t. babby to wine, trying to expand into non-whites

I'm looking to get into wine for health reasons.(And maybe as an excuse to blow money on alcohol) Any health nut here knows which wines have the most antioxidants and how much to drink a day?

Oxygenating your wine in your mouth by slurping air is the best way to taste the wine, it's just apparently rude to do it outside of wine tasting events.
Wine needs to breathe to attain it's peak taste then it declines, you really notice it when you're drinking a bottle slowly and each glass is relatively different from the last one.
Which is why everyone is spinning their glass like mad and slurping all around wine tastings cause you don't have the time to wait for the peak taste and the bottle may have just been opened recently. Temperature also plays more of a role than people think, a few degrees can change the taste of the wine.

Try to get a light northern wine red wine like cabarnet franc from loire and a heavy southern wine like negroamaro from southern italy, if you can't taste the difference after letting them breathe properly then your tastebuds might need some work to get unfucked.

I'm thinking about making wine using Arizona grown prickly pear cactus fruit. Is this something you folks would be interested in ? It's a rather unexploited niche of the wine market and I think it has potential

Beaujolais Nouveau and Priorat

But yeah most mass market reds taste the same, especially new world
Sounds awesome isn't there a name for that already? Surely someone must have done that but I've never heard of it

nth for Portuguese wine being the best wine.

>sulfite-free
Nigga this is the stupidest thing ever. What kind of hipster fuck would let whole vintages go bad so he chan print another buzzword on the label? FUCKING CALI HIPSTER SCUM

Not that guy but I think the cachet is that no SO2 requires insane attention to hygiene. So arguably the sulfite-free stuff is "better" for the same reason bleach-free chicken is "better"

I've had enough funky smelling "natural" wines that I don't necessarily get as excited about them as I once did but some people think it's still cool, I guess

>I'm looking to get into wine for health reasons.
Dumb reason
>(And maybe as an excuse to blow money on alcohol)
Well ok then
>Any health nut here knows which wines have the most antioxidants and how much to drink a day?
Popular wisdom holds that resveratrol is the stuff you want, but there was a study like 10 years ago that suggested the super seekrit European eternal life chemical was actually something else. Anyway anything from thick-skinned black grapes, from very sunny places, with maximal skin time, would be "the healthy stuff"

What this leaves out is the fact that some places use all kinds of pesticides, or fruit with some amount of rot or mold. The pesticides you probably won't taste. The rot or mold, they can work that out with various modern processing technologies and adjuncts. Cheaper wines are much more likely to use bad fruit. Then there's arsenic. It's naturally occurring but can also come from various stuff like wood used in the grape growing process, or work its way into adjuncts or fining agents. New World wines tend to have more arsenic than old world wines.

tl;dr if you get into wine for health reasons you're going to give yourself an anxiety attack trying to figure out what balances out what. It's a pretty dumb reason to drink wine anyway. But if you need an excuse, sure. 1 glass of wine per day is recommended. I have an MD from the Veeky Forums School of Medicine and I order you to do this.

Certified Sommelier here, also been in the industry for 15 years, ask away.

I don't like oaky pinot. I've had a few german ones that I liked a great deal more than anything I've had from america (it all tastes like vanilla to me)

If I splurged on some $40+ burgundy am I going to be disappointed?

How will the heatwaves in California affect the wine produced by the region this season if it continues?

she lost, get over it

Is this your way of telling us you don't know the answer to either question?

If not, take that shit to /pol/, I want to talk about wine.

It's gonna be this hot all through late july and august [spoiler]like it does every year fuck central valley heat jesus[/spoiler]. I'm not sure how the flavor profiles will be changed, but I know the wine will cost more solely on the cost of materiels used to maintain the life of the vines. I'll buy a '17 chardonnay, merlot, and another kind and let it age for a while to compare it to some of the '05s I have laying around to see myself what the differences are.

>I want to talk about fake "science"
fixed

Is there anything more overpriced/overrated than a Napa Cab?

Bottled water
Energy drinks
"smartwater"

Live look at what educated people consume

>napa cabernet sauvignon
I shiggy the diggy

You tards shouldn't be allowed anywhere near pinot noir

The only california wine worth anyone's time is the zinfandel

m'lord

Juicy, easy to drink and enjoy. 7$ at costco

I only like sweet wines. Can I develop my tastebuds for dry wines or is it just a matter of preference?

Try pairing a cab with something special one night. The only reason I started drinking wine was because my uncle poured me a glass of Bordeaux when I had prime rib at his place. It was heaven

>ask away
>never comes back