Can someone please explain Paleo to me? I've heard it called the caveman diet, but also the Roman diet...

Can someone please explain Paleo to me? I've heard it called the caveman diet, but also the Roman diet. Also general eating habit thread I suppose.

Other urls found in this thread:

tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/09637489809089395
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

eat shits raw, no processed foods.

Great way to eat more and get less nutrients.

There's a reason fire made human dominant. Partly, huge partly, due to cooking releases more nutrients from food and makes eating more efficient.

Look to other animals, they spend significant amount of time per day just on eating (chew, re-chew, more chewing etc). Humans can eat a meal in few min or shorter and get enough nutrients for the day. A feat solely due to our ability to cook.

It's a fad diet based on incorrect assumptions of what the ancients ate and ignorance (willful or otherwise) that the foods present in the modern day are completely unrecognizable as anything that would have been available in prehistory.

Basically it's a forced meme propagated to sell diet books.

This about sums it up. Also, it's presented as "manly" so insecure guys can go on a fad diet that just as retarded as any other fad diet while feeling like they're badass cavemen.

>incorrect assumptions of what the ancients ate
Theye are correct. What is incorrect is that its healthy.

From what I gather, "cavemen" ate whatever was available locally first and foremost and mainly stuff that didn't put up too much resistance to being consumed.

> cooking releases more nutrients from food
completely untrue, and cooking was invented because parasites evolved to be extremely effective and damaging

cooking destroys the best nutrients from food

explain the nutrient conversion from flour to bread then

bread shouldn't be eaten, it's very bad for you

the idea is to eat roughly like a human from before the Agricultural Revolution, except with modern cooking and food quality of course
the argument is that we evolved on a hunter-gatherer diet, and only recently started consuming large quantities of grains, which is supposedly a diet we're not quite suited for
I have no idea if it works and I'm not the kind of guy who goes on meme diets that iprobably gets disproved soon, but at least Paleo is less ideologically motivated than veganism, so it has that going for it

>based on incorrect assumptions of what the ancients
this in itself is retarded. You'd die, or at least very bad indigestion, if you eat what humans did thousands of years ago. Even if you went back in time about a hundred years in your same area you might get the shits if you try the food from that time.

bread is bad for you if you eat 1) nutrient-starved supermarket shit or b) way too much of it.

We also don't LIVE the same way as we did even 100 years ago. Our general nutrient requirements are the same sure, it's not like we suddenly need silicon and methane to live or something, but we don't do the same shit day-to-day as a hunter/gatherer or subsistence farmer, eating like one would be disastrous.

Cut out sugar and bread as MUCH as you can.

The sugar is genuinely bad for you but the bread thing is fine but work that shit off.

ok thanks for proving you're a moron.

>the idea is to eat roughly like a human from before the Agricultural Revolution

Except Paleo doesn't reassemble pre-agricultural diet at all. People used to eat lots of roots and bulbs and other "pre-grains".
Also there were massive differences between each are, and of course most of the food was complete shit, it was typically full of wood-like fibers or toxins they had to remove or just plain unhealthy.

Paleo isn't significantly worse than other meme-tier diets, but it's probably not complete on it's own, and it's premise is wrong.

Actually attempting to eat like prehistoric humans is idiotic, but it's pretty brilliant as a cynical marketing tactic. It works on a combination of exploiting naturalness bias and playing into certain superficial signifiers of masculinity. which helps them market a fad diet (something normally associated with women) to men who would usually avoid such things.

>which helps them market a fad diet (something normally associated with women) to men who would usually avoid such things.
Wow, I never really realized in years of mocking paleo and other of atkins' friends that it, along with keto, actually has more male following than female.

Imagine being so insecure as a man that you change you eating habits to fit your idealization of a man. This is something that until recently only women would've done.

A large percentage of men have been trying to act "manly" for thousands of years. Men fall for marketing garbage as much as women do.

Open up any old magazine, and on every second page you'll find ads for worthless or vastly overpriced watches, cars and liquor, all having a rhetoric similar to
>"Look at this cool manly dude, want to be like him? Buy our crap, he does."
or
>"You're so manly and strong. I bet you buy Crap™ products, buy them to unleash the manly man inside of you."

Meme diets are followed by people looking to lose weight or form an identity, the guy in OPs image is trying too hard to define himself somehow, and he does so through a fad. Other people are misguided in their attempt to lose weight. And for some people it works, whatever the reason might be.

Also paleo isn't created by and doesn't benefit exclusively a company, so there wasn't a marketing department to say "Let's take advantage of these insecurities". It just came to life through a number of misunderstandings and human flaws, just like everything else.

And by the way wasting time to mock such diets or people doesn't reflect well on you. It sounds like you suffer from most of these insecurities too.

>until recently only women would've done

Marketing has more or leas fully exploited female insecurity at this point, there's not really room for growth beyond population growth. There's been a big push to do the same with men for several years now (the cosmetics industry in particular has been keen to open up the male market.)

It's honestly amazing how much of what we think of as our culture has been created primarily through marketing campaigns.

>There's been a big push to do the same with men for several years now

That's nothing new. Look at advertisements from the 1950's if not before. Plenty of products were advertised to men by associating them with a macho image. This one is a bit later but is a classic example.

I meant specifically targeting body image insecurity, There's been a pretty big push to increase the sales of premium bath products, make up, grooming gadgets, and diets to men.

Publishers have marketing departments, and while there were precursors the current paleo fad is traceable back to The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain. Follow ups by other publishers and authors are targeting the market that opened up.

>And by the way wasting time to mock such diets or people doesn't reflect well on you.
Well food is an interest of mine and by extension nutrition. If I see misinformation about either being widely accepted it's hard to ignore.

You're wrong. The paleo diet is only called a "caveman diet" as a moniker. The premise of the diet is very healthy since it's essentially avoiding overly processed foods. i.e. boxed/bagged snacks

You're missing the point and arguing semantics. Goodbye.

>that fucking picture

>rejecting grains and dairy on the whole and getting most of your calories from meat is essentially avoiding overly processed foods

that shit wont protect any of his stabby parts where stabbing really hurts
great job in reducing your movement tho you wont be able to dodge a knife now

Do you even know what a Pepe is? Fuck off, newfag.

>tfw the other side is just as cringey and autistic as antifa
America is well on it's way down the slippery slope toward stagnation and decay that will lead to it's inevitable fall from power. GG.

We won. Deal with it.

What exactly do you think you won, user?

The presidency.

The government is controlled by a corporate oligarchy. The president is a figure head and only gets a chance to sign laws sent to him by the people that actually control the country - which is the corporations that pay off the politicians (both dem and repub).

No one is winning anything. Putting an orange clown in as figure head hasn't changed anything.

#CoalJobsAreTheAnswer

lol

is that-a-way, bucko.

>he thinks the alt right is a politically influential movement.
Even the Cheeto in Chief thinks you're a bunch of closet dwelling faggots.
Stay mad, impotent white man.

That victory won't extend to any fashion contests.

Stay mad.

>there are /pol/ kiddies who actually still support trump

What's your opinion on Kinobody?

>kino
You've got to go back.

dat pic though

Basically this.

Although since it is typically very low carb you could probably eat it and lose weight. It's just an arbitrary set of rules though.

It's a meme diet. Try dieting properly instead.

Also

Kill yourself.

Everything he just said, without exception, it true and easily provable with the barest bit of research.

The current system relies entirely on the complete unwillingness of the majority of the American public to research the process by which things become law, or how politicians get elected.

>> cooking releases more nutrients from food
>completely untrue

That is true. There are pros and cons for cooking. Knowing which foods are best cooked and the best method to cook them is the best option than saying you should cook or not cook all foods.

tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/09637489809089395

>Abstract

>Recent consumer interest in ‘healthy eating’ has raised awareness to limit the consumption of fat and fatty foods. What are the relative nutritional advantages and disadvantages of consuming fried foods? Are all fried foods bad for you? A review on macro-and micronutrients losses and gains during frying is presented here. Frying has little or no impact on the protein or mineral content of fried food, whereas the dietary fibre content of potatoes is increased after frying due to the formation of resistant starch. Moreover, the high temperature and short transit time of the frying process cause less loss of heat labile vitamins than other types of cooking. For example, vitamin C concentrations of French fried potatoes are as high as in raw potatoes, and thiamine is well retained in fried potato products as well as in fried pork meat. The nutritive value of the frying media is also important to take into consideration and therefore losses of nutrients from the frying oil are also discussed. Although some unsaturated fatty acids and antioxidant vitamins are lost due to oxidation, fried foods are generally a good source of vitamin E. It is true that some fat is inevitably taken up by the food being fried, contributing to an increased energy density. However, this also results in highly palatable foods with a high nutritional content. It is concluded that fried foods certainly have a place in our diets.

That's just one of many scientific papers on the subject you can find via google scholar if you are willing to learn for yourself.

I'm glad I've not seen a modern advertisement in like 12 years. The worst I get is social propaganda embeded into movies and tv shows, though not as much since my genres are sci-fi and fantasy for the most part.

It must be terrible living one's life where you have to view adverts on a regular basis. That's too 1990s for me.

This is wrong. Cooking allowed for the development of mankind because people didn't have to forage/hunt so long.

>sci-fi

Wat? Science Fiction is one of the most heavily political categories of fiction.

user, all, I mean ALL video entertainment is chop full of propaganda in equal measures. However, with sci-fi it is much easier to spot. If I'm going to watch bullshit, at I at least want to know I'm watching bullshit simply because of the genre I'm in. If I want a break from it, I'll watch foreign shit where I don't understand their quirky propaganda.

You've seen plenty, whether you recognize it or not. Unless you live like an 18th century mountain man, you're inundated with advertisements from the moment you wakeup until you go to bed. It's only going to get worse.

Are you a retard? Unless someone posts an actual ad on Veeky Forums, I never see it.

Fewer. Fewer nutrients. Less nutrition.

things posted to Veeky Forums are literally the only media you consume? you never leave the house?

>Imagine being so insecure as a man that you change you eating habits to fit your idealization of a man.

Pretty much exclusively marketed towards males.

>Imagine being so insecure as a man that you change you eating habits to fit your idealization of a man.

Plenty of males decide that being unmanly was worse than becoming an addict, suffering bodily harm and dying sooner.

>This is something that until recently
Whenever I read some bullshit like this I know it was written by a child

Paleo is a fad diet with no basis in science or logic, meant to lure stupid people to their early deaths.

>Worried about knives
>Wears an incomplete set of armour instead of padding+mail or a simple gambeson

Goddamnit.

>tfw losing weight and all good
>lost 5kgs
>was brothers birthday
>had 2 glasses of wine a chicken parmigana and greasy oily gross chips and a slice of cake
>got back home and at night I woke up and had the cake on the bench
>picked a bit off and ate it
>tasted soooo good as it was from an amazing patisserie store
>cut 1 slice eat it
>cut a 2nd double the size of the first
Thinking about putting fingers down throat and vomiting it back up.
How do people do this everyday. I remeber how I used to feel like this after eating shit, regret and the fact that the taste only lasted 30 seconds for the amount of fat. Not worth

You don't absorb half of what you eat, so relax.

>there are reddit transplants who still think they are welcome here

/ptg/ faggots need to leave.

You're right, the body is more efficient than that. I'm really fucked.