I cooked a steak for the first time (18, never had to cook for myself really). Too rare? Also, cookout thread

I cooked a steak for the first time (18, never had to cook for myself really). Too rare? Also, cookout thread.

not bad, would eat

Bad sear, but good internal color. 6.5/10 would still eat.

Also, what's the best way to reheat steak? I've currently got the ribeye on a steamer.

you have to make sure you dry off the steak and put it in a big enough pan to get a better sear. The steak looks nicely cooked though. Its definitely closer to rare not medium rare.

just eat it cold.

>pan
I grilled it, but I'll keep this in mind.

>bad sear

op, get a cast iron skillet for superior sear.

I have a cast iron skillet, but I cooked the steak on a grill.

Where is the sear? 0/10 you failed OP

Grill wasn't hot enough then. Most of the flavor comes from the sear

put it in a storage bag and soak it in hot water for 15 minutes.

move out of mommy's house and get a real grill holy shit that's awful

? It was a "real grill", if you're referring to those big stand up ones you see outside.

You cooked the steak too long on one side and too short on the other. It looks fine on the outside imo. You don't need a bbq to get a nice 'sear' if you have a hot enough skillet or broiler. Just play with your timing and learn how to properly season a steak.

Did you microwave it for 10 seconds?

You're probably the kind of guy that doesn't realize his propane burners aren't producing enough heat to sear because they are shot to hell and burning yellow instead of blue. Replace your burners, faggot.

>propane
I used charcoal, but I'll keep that in mind when I can afford a propane grill in like 8 years.

You needed higher heat on your grill. Get it as hot as you can. If you have an adjustable coal rack move it to the highest position. I'd eat your steak, though. Good job not over cooking it

i'd prefer it more rare, but you probably aren't using high enough heat to get a good sear and have it be done rare.

Cold steak with salad and some acidic dressing is pretty great

use more charcoal you teenager. Learn something from real adults who are trying to teach you how to cook a fucking steak. Be fucking respectful to your elders and don't be a whiny little bitch. Stop crying and walkin around like you own the place and fucking dry your steak off and cook with more charcoal next time. Also season it it doesnt look like you put shit on there. Little small cocked teenager.

>mostly raw chunk of meat with salt and pepper
American cuisine is a joke

Why are you so mad? Did-did someone hurt you when you were young?

>salt and pepper
Okay, I know I'm falling for bait, but that isn't salt and pepper.

What does it mean when you cook a steak medium rare-rare and it isn't super pink in the middle, but just kind of a faint dull pink? I've been going to the pricier organic store lately and their steaks are a lot less pink in the center than other stores when I make them.

no worries my dude, just make sure its wicked hot next time. You'll get there man.

would eat. not bad op for the first time.

Looks good. Let it rest for a good 10-20 minutes before you carve into it though.

Put it on a higher heat, it would be better with a darker sear. Also for a steak that size, a good 2-3 minutes each side should be good for a medium rare. Leave it to rest after cooking.

This guy is like one of those dipshit 2am chili pictures but in real life. Neck yourself

It looks pretty shitty if i'm honest OP. The only good thing you've got going is the internal temp. It's pink, which is good.

The sear however is terrible/non-existent. Next time use a roasting hot cast iron griddle pan to really get some nice char marks on the steak, and finish it off with some butter.

Another thing you're missing is seasoning. I don't see any salt or pepper on that steak, so I imagine it tastes pretty bland.

It also doesn't look like you rested the steak properly, due to the juices that look to have gathered in the bottom of that dish.

And last but not least: white fat. This goes back to the searing, but you really need to render the fat down, and make sure to sear your steak on all sides. I'm imagining that you also used a pretty shitty cut of steak as well.

1/10 OP.

go to a butcher, not a whole foods clone

imagine being this person

You did good for a first time, just listen to the constructive posts and do better next time. The sear isn't good but the center looks great to me, got to season a bit more and hit with higher temp. So just get the sear right and if you like rare steak your good. 6/10

Settle down Tyrone.

you need more char, internals are fine. You cooked at 400 degrees, you need to cook at 600 degrees.

Veeky Forums is one of the funnier boards now days

It's funny because it contains the most amount of human cripples. The mentally crippled people are spreading out across north america. They're people you can't help, they need to be tossed into a sanatorium or a wood chipper.

Boiled over hard.

It's still alive. Try to cook for longer.

no asshole. That's myoglobin, not hemoglobin. How fucking trailer trash are you people in one single day?

a crockpot or car dashboard is fine, too

Hey OP, here I used a non stick pan (Im getting cast iron later) some olive oil and some montreal steak spice, pan is on medium heat, I usually shoot for mid rare but will eat rare to medium, steak cooking takes practice.

Grilling steak is hard, and that probably explains the uneven cooking on the two sides. You're far better off pan frying it.

notbad.bmp

>burnedtheseasoning.png
ftfy

Show us on the doll where OP touched you.

Perfect

Kill yourself you stupid fucking meme poster

Try cooking it longer and at a hotter temperature. Right now it's edible, but a bit on the raw side. I'd advise you to sear it a bit more, unless you want salmonella.

If you have trouble cooking full steaks I'd suggest to instead chop it into small pieces, marinate for a day or so in a thick Worcestershire sauce mix and thenfry it on a skillet. I find it to be a really quick and easy recipe. Lather with the sauce of your choice after cooking and serve with broccoli and mashed potatoes.

elaborate on the bad sear part.
i find that ok, best would be that sweet dark brown but not burnt/charred, am i right or right?

>Claims to have grilled his steak
>Zero sear

>Real grill
Pic related, it's OP's "grill"

Look at what you did. Look at all these people who took the bait. Are you proud of what you did? Are you giggling to yourself over there?

Its still raw inside, you should brown it 40% through on each side. The center should be light link.

don't listen to this guy

>hurr throw it in pan for 5 seconds done

I bet you half bake your chicken too fatty

Looks much better. Steak doneness comes down to preference. Just don't be one of those faggots who eats "Blue-Rare" (raw meat) or dry shoe leather (Well-done) and you're fine. Cast iron lets you get a nice thick sear while keeping the inside to your preference. Also, depending on your taste preference, you can skip the fancy seasonings and go straight with Salt and Pepper for seasoning. Again, this goes to preference. Some people like to roast some garlic in the same pan, along with basting with a bit of butter, or adding some aromatics like thyme.

(you)

Reheating steak just kills it, better to eat it cold

t. someone that doesn't know how to reheat a steak

shut your cocksucker, jackass

Looks great for a first time. Steak belongs only cooked on a grille listen not to these philistines!!!

user, these days, I can't even tell the trolls from the regular autistic people anymore. I've been wanting to post this for ages, but the art is lost. No one remembers how to troll correctly anymore

:D You betchaaaaaa

t. dipshits that don't know the difference between myoglobin and hemoglobin.

Like others have already said, higher heat. Also more seasoning. Practice and you'll get better, young user

Best looking steak in the thread. Pretty good sear for a grill, which is often harder to get a good sear compared to cast iron skillet

Sear only appears to be on the edges of the steak. Looks like the steak curled up and raised off the surface of the pan. Not sure how to correct that but would still gladly eat

>montreal steak seasoning

What's your beef dude?

Look up maillard.
You have none

next time try to apply some direct heat to the fat, if you melt the fat it will taste way better.

That shit is for kids. It's salt with a few spices. It makes you an asshole for using it and I'm a Canadian.

You got a fucking problem with Montreal Steak Spice?

It's a little strong for beef, but it's 10/10 for pork

0/10.
Practically still alive.
Needs AT LEAST another 5/10 minutes on both sides.

No shit dude I can't afford duck I can barely afford a decent cut of beef

It's synthetic garbage. Even canadians know that. McCormicks should be sanctioned for that shit. You know McCormicks is a Canadian spice manufacturer right?

Synthetic?
What the fuck does that mean?
I don't give a shit how it's made
I can't taste the fucking factory

And what the fuck is McCormick's? I have Club House La Grille Montreal Steak Spice

The malliard process has nothing to do with duck, dumbass. It's a browning process. Why are you even here?

>Salt and spices is for kids and assholes

I don't buy the stuff but it's perfectly fine. Take a chill pill

Club house is McCormicks you massive idiot. Are you drunk?

>Are you drunk?
Yes, actually.

But seriously in your next hamburger, mix in some good ol MTL spice

Well, you don't cook things for people so, you probably don't understand what I'm talking about. Processed shit from "club house" or McCormicks if you're not a no nothing retard is a blend of chemicals. You put that in food and you pray it doesn't make people throw up. You adolescents have never made real food for anyone.

To learn about boring shit like this I guess.

dumbass, I used montreal steak spice when you were in grade 5. I grew up. Its how food dies.

You're here, so you're probably monumentally boring, you might want to learn something so you don't sound so fucking worthless. Up to you.

You're trying to extract self-worth from an empty well, mate.
You're not doing anything worth doing, let alone worth feeling special about

holy shit what a fucking mess

I cook for people all the time you jerk. I very rarely use spice blends but they're fine sometimes. They're what people who don't care or have just given up use but they aren't inherently terrible. My friend's dad made burgers last weekend and used Montreal steak seasoning and they were perfectly fine.

I'm really not, I'm listening to an Band of Horses Everything All the Time and taunting stupid people. What are you up to? Oh right, I'm watching Person of Interest too, what are you up to?

All I've learned about food so far is that you need to kiss my grits

If you're trying to play executive chef don't use blends. Just don't use fucking blends if you're not a teenager, ffs.

My fellow comrade in cups.

I watched... The first season of PoI?
I think?
A good few episodes anyways.
It seemed good but a tad boring.
I've heard people who stuck with it say it's really good.

Watching The Leftovers myself.
I can't overstate the quality

Leftovers just seems so depressing. Is it really worth watching?

Do you assholes have Netflix?

>malliard process
>tfw you realize it's all one person who is bored and shitposting at himself.

My family knows I like to cook so I inevitably get a selection of spice blends around the holidays. Some of them are average but then some are homemade from little shops in the city or made by clients and are great. I've been using one that's made of brown sugar, cumin, garlic, S&P, coffee, and probably another few ingredients and it's good. Exception to the rule I know but still. You can't say they're all trash.

Regardless of your stupidity. Watch Chef's Table on Netflix. Just try to grow up.

It is incredibly depressing and it's filled with sad broken people.
But there's... I don't know. A comfort in it?
Maybe that's just a personal feeling.

The quality is outstanding though. The music is top notch (and heart wrenching). The acting is great.

Angry nigger.

Have you seen "Cooked" on Netflix?
I liked it

I just watched The Zookeeper's Wife and the Putin interviews. I'm at the verge of killing myself. The leftovers can wait.