How the hell do I cook this in my kitchen (cast iron pan) without my entire apartment filling with smoke again...

How the hell do I cook this in my kitchen (cast iron pan) without my entire apartment filling with smoke again? Every recipe demands smoking hot heat.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KTP_YEjf2r4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are you adding any kind of fat to the pan?

I usually add a bit of olive oil to start and then butter about halfway through. Should I leave out the oil?

>Every recipe demands smoking hot heat.
You are being trolled.
bet you use cheap olive oil too.

>olive oil
>steak
>complain about smoke

use a high smoke point oil. don't add butter till the end. also pan nice and hot, so you don't have to sear it for longer than you absolutely need to. finish in the oven and top with thyme infused garlic butter afterwards.

This.

You shouldn't be using any fat, really. I've found that even the high smoke point fats start smoking if I have the pan at the higher heat settings for some things. If your cast iron is seasoned properly you shouldn't really need it anyway, and with proper heating the steak should unstick itself after a bit even in a steel pan.

youtube.com/watch?v=KTP_YEjf2r4

This is actually the perfect video, it shows the "Leidenfrost effect" with the bead of water in the beginning which is how you know the pan is at the right temperature for food to not stick.

add oil to pan or meat. that shit is going to smoke.
you need a vent to get rid of it. just bake that shit then to a light sear

Not the cheapest but not overpriced either
Thanks I'll take this into account in about an hour when I try again. I don't have any higher smoke point oil on hand but will remember it for next time.

I just did one of these last night.

You don't have to get your pan "screaming hot".

The best thing you can do is salt it well and leave it uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours. This will help dry the exterior, while the salt soaks into the flesh, like a brine.

From here, you can go right from fridge to pan. Get it hot, enough so flicking water on the pan sizzles and evaporates in less than a second.

Freshly ground black pepper on both sides, then rub each side with a little high-smoke-point oil, such as canola.

About 3 1/2 minutes on the first side, and you should have a great sear. Only a few minutes on the second side or you'll overdo it, depending on thickness. Typically, one side is going to look sexy, the other ain't.

Pic related was a bit of an experiment that came out insanely good. I was tired, so I just wanted a hunk of meat. After the steak was done, I deglazed the pan with some beef stock and balsamic vinagar. Threw a two cloves of garlic in, as well as any juices that leaked from the steak, then reduced until the garlic was tender. At this point, cold butter is whisked into the pan until melted and the sauce is shiny.

No money shot, but it was a touch over medium rare, slightly more done than I wanted it. Still was tender as hell.

Olive oil and especially virgin olive oil has a low smoke point. If you want to use oil, use something like canloa, sunflower lor avocado oil as they have much higher smoke points.

did someone have diarrhea all over that plate or what

Why did you top your steak with bananas?

Those are green onions.

stop lying. that is well done as fuck. 3 1/2 minutes per side with a cut that thin? medium rare? yeah fucking right.

i don't think so tim

those are pieces of garlic

I'd recommend using an oil with a high smoke point. Finishing with butter is wonderful. Be sure to add sliced garlic and fresh herbs to the butter as it's melting in the pan and basting the steak with the butter. Yummy. Also open a damn window.

>using two oils with low smoke points

Well there is your problem right there.

Just turn off the smoke detectors. I've taken down all the smoke detectors in my apartment exactly because of problems like this.

I posted about this in another thread. Highly refined, i.e. cheap "extra-light tasting" olive oil has one of the highest smoke points available. The high quality stuff is what smokes.

Extra Virgin should only be used if you're not heating it. Regular Olive oil isn't lower quality, it just has a different use

No. The highly refined stuff is made from lower quality olives. They refine the oil to remove all of the "extra-virginess" out of it because that part is not good in those olives. It ends up being, as you said, a different product for a different purpose.

I have two bottles of olive oil. One is the good stuff that is added after cooking or to uncooked foods. The other is used for searing steaks / chops after being cooked sous-vide or items going on the grill. Cheap olive oil that others say is crap is actuall GOAT for the grill.