Short-cut/Cheat thread

What short-cuts/Cheats do you use when making food, Veeky Forums?

I use Worcestershire sauce instead of bonito flakes when making miso for myself.

>I use Worcestershire sauce instead of bonito flakes when making miso for myself.
ないわー

1) How is that a shortcut?
2) It tastes radically different.

i thought miso soup was just miso paste and hot water?

i use this stuff
no ragrets

>>hot water
Not hot water, dashi. It's a broth made from hot water, konbu seaweed, and bonito flakes. Traditionally, anyway. These days most people use an instant dashi broth the same way that a western cook might use bullion cubes.

why not just have a instant dashi broth miso paste mix

>why not just have a instant dashi broth miso paste mix
That exists. You can buy miso paste that already has the dashi flavor mixed in.

And like nearly all convenience products it tastes nowhere near as good as doing things the traditional way.

In fact, the whole "instant miso" thing kind of confuses me because making it the traditional way is very fast and easy. Unlike western stocks that might require bones to be roasted, hours of simmering, then clarification, etc, it takes only a few minutes to make dashi. It's very little effort so it seems like an odd product to make an "instant" version of.

>You can buy miso paste that already has the dashi flavor mixed in.

I bought this shit once. Never again.

i just looked up what bonito are
does this mean miso soup isnt vegan?
my cousin's vegan girlfriend always orders it when we go for sushi train

Yes

>does this mean miso soup isnt vegan?
If it's traditionally made it's absolutely not Vegan.

And even the instant stuff often contains Bonito. The biggest brand of instant Dashi concentrate, "Hondashi" by Ajinomoto, is made from bonito so it is not vegan either.

How do I like miso?

I ate some for the first time the other day and it just tasted gross to me. Like someone boiled their sweat and put a tablespoon of sugar in. Was it just a shitty bowl or is it supposed to taste bad?

Uhm, miso is an ingredient used to cook other foods. You don't just eat miso by itself.

Also, most of the miso I've tried outside of Japan has been very shitty; it tastes like a salt bomb.

I tend to heat my pan before putting meat/veg whatever in.

Seems to save a lot of time.

I'd been a strict ovo-lacto vegetarian from birth, but the realization that dashi is all over my favorite Japanese dishes made me loosen up on that front.

FWIW, you can also make a nice dashi with kombu, and it's even a traditional and time-honored technique. But yeah, one shouldn't expect anything containing dashi to be fish-free.

Everything is better in Japan.

>putting an ampersand in the name
Why not just call it "miso easy" like "me so easy"?

I microwave my potatoes before baking.... then I only have to bake them in the oven about 30 minutes to get the skin good and crisp.

I don't know but I like to think it is a reflection of how authentic it is, like its a bad translation.

Because you don't need to cut up a bunch of bonito, steep it in water and then scoop them all out of the water. You literally just add a couple drops and it does the job of adding that fishy/smoky umami flavour.

Nobody makes their own bonito shavings these days. You buy them pre-shaved in bags. And the steeping process only takes about one or two minutes tops.

The difference in taste is huge, and the only time you save is well under 5 minutes. Seems like a bad trade-off to me. It would make sense if it saved you a lot of effort, but steeping some bonito shavings in water for 2 min hardly qualifies as that.