Amazon/Whole Foods deal

Who can't wait for extremely cheap organic food you can order online and delivered directly to your door?

I fucking love automation.

Other urls found in this thread:

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-18/amazon-said-to-plan-cuts-to-shed-whole-foods-pricey-image
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's hilarious how leftists are butthurt over this.

>LOWER PRICES FOR LOW INCOME PEOPLE, OH GOD THE HUMANITY!!!

bump

i cant wait for amazon to automate my job out of existence. maybe then i can get my neetbux

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-18/amazon-said-to-plan-cuts-to-shed-whole-foods-pricey-image

>"Amazon expects to reduce headcount and change inventory to lower prices and make Whole Foods competitive with Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and other big-box retailers"

>"That included potentially using technology to eliminate cashiers."

They just automated away money managers. There goes my plan b after I get fired from being a whole foods cashier.

>order online and delivered directly to your door?

Who would want to get some randomly selected produce or meat? I don't want the shop to pick for me, I want to choose my own steaks, fish, roasts, veggies, from the selection the shop has.

Low income people are caused by sinking prices. (The savings come out of your pocket in the form of lower or non-existent wages)

The fact that everyone and his mother is freaking out about this will just make Amazon extra-cautious. Meaning they'll do it in a few years when everyone is distracted again by new shiny objects from Amazon.

this is what dumbcucks actually believe. did you learn that in high school? this is not how economics works

Economics is dynamic. "The way it works" changes all the time. This particular effect is new, and economic fundamentalists like yourself are ignoring it at your own peril.

>maybe then i can get my neetbux
Why?
It would simply create other jobs for you.
and now your groceries and many other things you buy would be cheaper

>randomly selected
Do you have down syndrome or something?
Why would you even make this post?
like holy fucking shit I'm not even going to explain why you're a retard but just know you are a retard

>"The way it works" changes all the time.

LOL
That's like saying the law of gravity changes all the time.
The laws of economics can not be changed.

>economic fundamentalists
like those evil "science fundamentalists"

Nobody is claiming the funamental laws change. Rather the current economic enviornment changes.

Actually, weather is a great example. The fundamental principles of physics which govern the weather don't change. Yet the weather we experience changes often.

>He thinks economics is a hard science
Don't ever set foot on Veeky Forums, you won't survive the experience

It's been well documented that people are highly selective when buying produce and meat products. It's part of the reason we have so much unnecessary food waste.

Anyone who can get a cashier job can just go work in a goddamn Amazon FC. They'll make more money there, anyway.

amazon has a soccer team now?

I can't wait to order food and then have Amazon push back the shipping date for several days before just finally sending me an e-mail saying they don't have the food in stock and they've cancelled my order.

This has literally never happened to me. What are you ordering that they do this to you?

>he thinks logic does not exist
man you people are fucking sad

how embarrassing for you

>Don't ever set foot on Veeky Forums
I go there all the time you delusional manchild.

>supply and demand isn't real
okay kid

>Rather the current economic enviornment changes.
That's completely different.
user literally said economics is dynamic, which is wrong.
Only the conditions can change, not the laws.

what does this have to do with anything I said?
you still don't know why I was making fun of you don't you?

Why the fuck would your food be randomly selected?
Like holy shit how could you possibly be this stupid? Of course you're going to be able to choose what food you want before the deliver it. That's the whole point.
kill yourself

>i know all le logix XD
>NOT AN ARGUMEND :----D
Meme /pol/ """""""""economists""""""""" are not real economists. You should be able to figure that out that if you're so smart.

>I go to Veeky Forums all the time to post climate realist and flat earther threads
Ok

>LE XD xDDDDDXXD!!!!11
holy shit fuck off
you have no argument at all

yes, logic does exist and does form the basis of economic laws

you're an idiot

>That's completely different.
>user literally said economics is dynamic, which is wrong.
>Only the conditions can change, not the laws.

Yes You are correct. user clearly misspoke. You're getting hung up on the term "laws". Stop that.

>I go to Veeky Forums all the time to post climate realist and flat earther threads
You're the one denying established science.

You seem to know a lot about those threads.
Why do you constantly spam them on Veeky Forums?

>dumb anime poster
>economist

>user clearly misspoke.
then that's his fault, not mine

>economic illiterate
>leftist

makes sense

I can't fucking wait for this shit.

We need to automate as many things as possible so living standards for the working class can increase.

Once the price of capital goods comes down it becomes really fucking cheap for anyone to start a business and employ people.
Plus people would have to work less to get more things.

It happens occasionally. Data gets omitted from a particular item/shipment, and the worker bees can't create a shipping label. Corporate spends three weeks pointing fingers at each other before they finally cancel the orders.

This is actually a plausible outcome of automation. If everything is dirt cheap, people won't need a lot of money to live relatively well. In fact, this is how the middle class was possible in the first place. Industrialization brought down the cost of a lot things, so that more people could afford more. This is just more of the same.

>Do you have down syndrome or something?
Have you never shopped for pic related before? Natural foods vary.

If I'm buying a steak I want to pick out the one that has the best marbling.

If I'm buying a melon I want one that's ripe and free of blemishes.

If I'm buying potatoes I'll grab those that aren't cut or bruised and have a smooth exterior so they're easy to peel.

If I'm buying some fish I want to pick those that are all the same size so they cook evenly.

...and so on. Why would you rather let some worker grab whatever rather than being able to choose yourself? Especially since any sort of store policy will likely insist on shipping out the oldest merchandise first.

It would have made more sense for Amazon to buy Costco since Costco's style of warehouse distribution is close to Amazon's and Costco is international just like Amazon compared to Wholefoods.

Noooooooo how dare you think that corporations do good for the people!

There has got to be some means for the people doing jobs that are soon to be automated to start earning money in a different way, even if a pound of beef costs a pound you still can't buy it if you're earning nothing. Further automation will probably drive the prices further down but if you think about it most industries are already highly automated so it isn't going to be a massive slash.

There'll still be jobs that can't be automated yet. Security and overseeing machines will probably increase in demand.

It's not about corporations. It's about technology, industrialization and automation. I mean, business people can claim credit for everything if they want to, but they are just middlemen.

I don't get the excitement of this thread, don't you have home delivery in the US? In Bongland and in a relatively small city I have 5 supermarkets that willl deliver - 6 if you include Iceland, and have done for many years. Just today had a delivery of vodka, fags, beer, hotdogs and some veg and shit delivered for a quid. I was unhappy with one bit of produce and called the complaints line and will probably get a voucher. Doesn't that happen in the US?

this man is a good man. You must realize though that the various "species" of technology come in the form of individual businesses. So really the pyramid goes:

Technology
Industries
Brands/Companies
Businessmen

There will be a rather 'uncomfortable' readjustment, but it will end in time. We have to take a leap of faith here. This is just the way investment works, except on a grand scale. There is going to be some risk. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

>don't you have home delivery in the US

We do, but it's usually limited to major cities. (keep in mind how big the US is compared to UK).

But most of the excitement is that people now expect Amazon-tier super fast service

>>Doesn't that happen in the US?
I've never used a delivery service for food. I want to pick out my own produce, meats, etc. I have mail-ordered things I can't get locally though, and that's been highly successful.

Moving towards full automation governed by a select few Silicon Valley Machiavellis with non-existent labor protection laws in place (never mind the total absence of any sort of discussion about UBI) is a recipe for an autocratic technodystopic nightmare. But yeah! The libtards are getting owned! Fuck yeah! Post-ironic nihilism fucking rules!

I'm not the original guy, but you clearly don't understand what he said.

'randomly selected' refers to the fact that if you buy 'bananas', you don't get the pick the specific bananas you want, instead you're at the mercy of the person packing the order.

idiot.

Yes. It's a pyramid. Just like that. It's just that business people exaggerate their position in it, making themselves out to look as if they occupy the very top. There is clear benefit in this for them, so it's not really surprising that they do it. But it's good to remind yourself it isn't really that way.

>security, aka police state apparatus, increases to keep the growing masses of people who don't have jobs due to automation, tamed

Yep, sounds right in line with cuckservative economic theory.

How many Amazon lockers do you think they can cram inside the average Whole Foods location? I'll be surprised if all these stores aren't going to double as miniature distribution centers for non-grocery merchandise.

Maybe, but Costco wasn't the one looking for new or better owners.

Just imagine. The guys who run Uber will run your life. It will be beautiful!

Oh boy I can't wait for a society populated exclusively with security guards. I hear they do really well for themselves!

Oh I understand the scale thing - and I guessed that might be a problem.

I ordered my shit at 10pm last night and I booked a 'slot' on the national website - and chose the cheapest, it is literally picked at the largest local store by people and was delivered by a guy in a big van today at 2pm. Basically if you order before midnight it can be delivered at your discretion and variable cost between 7AM and 11PM the next day.

Amazon is trying to get rid of their main competitor: all retail

It takes very few people to run a fully automated plant. It's good there are going to be jobs created in this sector but in terms of numbers it's not going to offset the loss of more menial jobs

I'm not so confident about taking this leap. It will have to happen given how things are going but as even service jobs are becoming automated what does that leave us with? Some kind of wealth redistribution is indispensable to a functioning economy and if labour doesn't provide that any longer something else has to. I'm tentatively in favour of the UBI in this case

I'm not redistribution-phobic like some of my fellow Americans have been trained to be. I'm confident that there is a way we can get there safely.

"my discretion" is to drive to the store myself. That way I know exactly what I'm getting, exactly WHEN I'm getting it, and I can scope out what specials they might have, what meat or produce looks unusually good, and so on.

I don't intend to shit on others if they like delivery services, but I don't see the appeal at all.

Nothing against your preference. You're just a dying breed that's all

Oh of course, but I don't have a car and wanted a bunch of bottled fizzy water and booze and so it would have been a bus ride or a fairly long walk and maybe some kind of truckamything to wheel it all back on.So I paid a quid and had it vanned to me.

The pickers are mostly incompetent and I complained today about some shoddy shit they picked out.

I've a few local indie greengrocers and stuff within walking distance, but for bulk - especially when I'm drunk and buying on a whim, I find it great. Horses for courses innit.

You mean other retailers, right? Because Amazon already operates some of its own brick-and-mortar stores (bookstores that only stock bestsellers, as well as that convenience store concept.)

Amazon is still doing a better job at becoming Walmart than Walmart is becoming Amazon. Think about it.

Amazon doesn't sell guns or ammo

Walmart doesn't sell sex toys. Guess which market is more profitable?

?????

>yfw drones deliver your tendies.

Who will pay you the neetbux?

Not yet they don't. They will.

>tfw creeping towards a cyberpunk dystopia more and more every day

>sold & shipped by happy worldwide inc
Nice try

>cyberpunk dystopia with no flying cars or cool tech

Finally. The last reason to go outside is banished to the deepest depths of hell from whence it came.

>no cool tech
this is what a cyberpunk dystopia truly looks like

>Have prime
>Select 2-day shipping
>2 days later they finally ship it off

we made it boys

I mean, I imagine retail will be stripped down to its barest bones under Amazon's reign of terror. There will only be just enough brick and mortar to satisfy the last remaining diehards.
>only best sellers
Yeah, this is exactly what I mean

>implying whole foods wont be run exactly the same except with cheaper quality shit and more amazon gift cards at the checkout line

>>"That included potentially using technology to eliminate cashiers."

i'm 100% ok with not having to see some smelly dude with dreadlocks and gages at checkout

your post and your pic are on about equal levels of sensationalism and fantasy, so I'll at least give you some points for being consistent

Except he's right. Why do people make the assumption the technocratic oligarchs are benefactors to mankind? They are managerialists who are actively chipping away at our concept of personal freedom, freedom of choice, privacy and private property. They don't want peace and prosperity through automation. They want a small group of slaves, and the rest of the population to be dead. War and famine will come to do their work for them. Capitalism is just a stepping stone to their utopia and our dystopia.

>amazon
>goods not delivered by a native in a loincloth

>implying anything is going to change, beyond the amazon giftcards, and insanely high data aggregation of purchases, with some information being sold to insurance companies

We all suspected that Amazon was out Walmarting Walmart, but it turns out they're out Googling Google.

Serious question: is Amazon trying to conquer the world?