Poor peoples/survival food

During the yugoslav wars in bosnia, my step dad was a cook in the bosnian serb army.
Each month they got stale bread and some extremely over salted goat cheese and a lot of lard.
They had to ransack croatian houses to get bacon in those days because the unit was hungry and didnt want to be on the frontline at all.
So one day he got a batch of the 'angry' cheese as they called it and a sack of stale bread, all for 50 men. A croatian family ran away from the house they confiscated and found a tab of smoked pork belly bacon, usually called Adidas, since it had 3 lines of meat on it, the Soap was all white bacon, literally ukrainian salo, and the rest didnt need names because it wasnt seen a lot to have names.
The other day he came to visit and i was hungry as fuck, offered to take us both for dinner to an italian restaurant anywhere.
He refused and decided to make one of his war time improvisations, named Poupara, translated roughly to On Steam in yugoslav.
He took my yesterdays bread and tore it into chunks, poured milk over it and grated a fuckton of goat cheese, then put it all on a baking oven plate that was greased with lard (i use lard for everything) and bacon strips.
He said it that they survived a battle because of that meal in winter of 93.
Then he showed me what 'war candy' is.
Its just lard on stale bread and some sugar sprinkled on.
He said ill need to know this type of shit to improvise sooner or later.
My mom who was on the other side of the war also showed me how to save a chunk of meat that started smelling funny.
I know already how to make porridge and borscht, i know how to make mayo from oil, mustard, vinegar and eggs.
I got interested into survival food recipes and i keep writing them down and trying them when ever i can.

Post recipes of such meals, dont post ramen because its a store bought plastic that softens at high temperatures.
Post recipes for food that lasts long and can be conserved for a long ass time.

Other urls found in this thread:

rawpaleodietforum.com/hot-topics/possible-high-meat-poisoningquestions/35/?wap2
healthycanning.com/oven-canning/
youtube.com/watch?v=41ipk2KDy-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=PTtKMs6fHIM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My people have a survival food called press enter after every single sentence.
It's actually a pretty shitty food.
It makes people not want to read your useless horseshit.

no

Ever made hard tack before OP? It's a kind of very dry, unleavened, twice baked bread that can stay good for months, even years if stored properly. European explorers used it to cross the Atlantic, and soldiers on both sides ate it in the American Revolution as well as the American Civil War.

The dough is six parts flour, one part water, and a spoonful or two of salt. Roll the dough out until it's a centimeter thick. Then cut it into squares 7 centimeters by 7 centimeters. Poke three rows of three holes each through the squares with a small stick. Bake them at 190 degrees C for 30 minutes, then take them out, let them cool a little, flip them over, and bake them again for another 30 minutes.

If you store the hard tack somewhere air and moisture can't get to it, it will last nearly forever. As the name implies though, it's hard as rock. Soldiers used to crush the individual biscuits with the butts of their rifles and put it in their coffee or water to soften it up. Others would break them up and fry them in lard for a meal.

iteresting
its just rock solid bread but nevertheless its useful and its edible. Kind of like any bread with baking powder in it, i think, they all end up tough and heavy.
Kid of like the fairy bread in the lord of the rings when the goblin thing throws it down the rock stairs to plant an argument between the gay midgets.
Thats the food for the road.
Your suggestion sounds like the soldiers just tried to make bread but didnt know how.
I bet it would be the same if i tried to make bread, since i cant bake at all.

What did it taste like though?

It is actually quite a lot like the eld bread from Lord of the Rings, but not magical and not as good for you. The soldiers themselves didn't make the hard tack, it was mostly made by bakeries hired by governments to make it for the soldiers with the idea that they could carry it around in carts to keep themselves fed for entire campaigns.

He did add milk to soften the bread before it all became toast, so it tasted real good.
I added a lot of pepper on the whole thing and ate half of what he made.
It was real good and it goes excellent with beer.
I dont think its too healthy, since its almost all carbs

>smoked pork belly bacon, usually called Adidas, since it had 3 lines of meat on it
Fucking Slavs lmao

from what i learned, Adidas was the first clothing brand that was on a soviet athlete.
Since then every person in the Soviet union wanted to be one of the 'cool' ones.
Its their only fad, like baggy clothes we had in the 90s or the bowl cut, or who know what.
The soviets, russians especially only wanted Adidas clothes, which is why there is so many pictures of gopniks online, mainly from the 90s and 00s.
Yugoslavs could take their pick, they had open markets for both sides of the wall and are one of the most reliable smugglers to date.
Studying their choices and behavior, while i watched their legendary gangster movies form the 90s, they prefer nike. Adidas isnt too far away tho.
I also noticed a trend in the anglo side of the whole ordeal, with their Burberry 'fashion'.
But still, adidas was almost impossible for the russians before the wall fell.
If you go to /gif/ or /wsg/ you will still find a video in slav threads of soviet soldiers in a troop transport with adidas stickers on the walls of the vehicle along with bruce lee and other shit.
I think thats why adidas is so famous in the east

Leather soup.
Its just leather boiling in sea water for 4 hours.
If its fake leathr, it all just melts

Honey lasts forever.
If you're used to eating meat raw meat lasts essentially forever too, it's not dangerous to eat it rotten, if raw, if you're used to it. Keep it on air-sealed glass jars and it wont even start rotting until probably 6+ months anyways.
Raw eggs are safe to eat rotten too, in asia they call them century eggs.

Note that rotten food should never be cooked or it will kill you. Also, it might make you sick if you don't usually eat raw animal protein in your diet.

please bratan how do save meat?

I liked your story, OP.

tell us how to save meat

You've got your information all wrong and I strongly advice people not to eat rotten meat, fish, vegetables, bread, cereal or eggs.

There are a variety of different types of food poisonings you can get from rotten meat and some of them will end with you dead if left untreated for only a few days.

There are some processes where meat and or egg can be safely aged but just eating randomly rotted meat is a cheap and fast way to check out early.

Don't believe everything you read online - especially things claimed by anonymous strangers.

Also - this information is neither unorthodox or counter-intuitive. Just because something is does not mean learned something new.

>t. bluepilled retard with zero experience

Age some meat and then come back to me.

My go to survival food is frozen meals bought with a food stamps card

You cut the surface fat first, because that reeks the most.
If it still smells a bit funny, you imagine that it has a skin and you remove it.
As you to, you might find areas that are alright. Blood smells the worse.
A lot of water is needed.
Its quite simple

But if it sat too long, there is no saving it.

>How to produce botulism toxin

There are safe ways to preserve meat. This is not one kiddies.

Yet more proof that people who like fad diets and buzzwords are mentally deficient. Beef is aged in large sub-primal cuts in carefully controlled conditions and constantly circulating air to desiccate it, and is only cut when being cooked to stop the interior from drying and keep surface bacteria outside. And no one, not even commercial butchers, would dare to age it for more than 60 days tops because they care about flavour, not retarded paleo hypotheses.

As said, there are correct methods of aging meat, and the recipe you've posted is almost the complete opposite of the safe practices described above. But hey, once you're suffering from food poisoning, depression and constipation ARE going to be the least of your worries.

>showed me how to save a chunk of meat that started smelling funny.
care to share this method with us?

This. Stuffing chopped meat in jars in your fridge with very limited air circulation is practically farming anaerobic pathogens in your own home. There's a reason the etymology of botulism is the Latin word for sausage.

Just take a look at this rawpaleodietforum.com/hot-topics/possible-high-meat-poisoningquestions/35/?wap2

to see paleo wishful thinking at its worst. What sane person thinks primitive humans deliberately gave themselves food poisoning because of 'positive overall effects'?

My mom puts hot food in jars, be it jam or meat chunks with lard, or boiled vegetables, so that it forms a vacuum in the jar.
Then she puts the jars into the oven so that everything dies in the jar.
I dont know the temperatures and i dont try to do that because it could blow up.

Look at . Personally, I would recommend the additional step of cooking it as thoroughly as possible to kill most pathogens.

The caveat with this is that botulinum spores will survive conditions that will kill mature bacteria and inactivate toxin, leaving them free to spread within you in proper conditions. Cooking temperatures beyond boiling are needed to inactivate spores, and the only reliable method of doing this is a pressure cooker.

There's a really good episode of good eats about canning. I believe it explains that with a pH of 4 and processed at a temperature over 350, no harmful bacteria are able to survive.

Fuck Off Slav shit. You cuck dad was a worthless thief.

Good thread, monitoring.

Its probably why there is a vacuum in the jar, from all that heat it would explode otherwise. I guess the vacuum evens it out.
Yes, you have to make it well done or medium at least.

Ideally, you really shouldn't be using anything other than a pressure canner to sterilise home-canned foods, especially if the canned foods are not acidic. Botulism can't grow under 4.6 pH, so anything over that needs to be heated well over boiling temperature.

To be extra safe, boil home-canned foods for about 10 minutes before consumption, adjusting for altitude if necessary.

Forgot to add this to my reply, but this link explains the pros and cons of oven-canning really well:

healthycanning.com/oven-canning/

This is a food thread, not butthurt thread. Get cleansed bitch. Also my real dad isnt a slav.
GET SUM YEAH
youtube.com/watch?v=41ipk2KDy-Y
YEEEAAAAH
RUUUUUN BITCH RUUUUUN
youtube.com/watch?v=PTtKMs6fHIM

thanks for the link
I think there is some more info about food preservation but its about refrigerators and freezers. I'll try to find it but i want to read this first

dumbfuck negro

>usually called Adidas, since it had 3 lines of meat on it
The most slavic sentence I've ever seen.

its just that any food can stay in the freezer and remain frozen and edible if its in the deep freeze, but the flavors deteriorate, no matter how sealed they are.