Superfoods

So what stops poor people from eating healthy under $10/day again?

You can get all your vitamins, minerals and 1600 calories and u will have money left for snacks too. This is just an example you can swap chicken for beef, kale for broccoli, etc:

1/2 pre-cooked chicken: $4
1/2 lb of kale: $2
2/3 cup of quinoa: $1 (even i can cook this)
2 cups of milk: $1
1/3 cup sunflower seeds: $0.3

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DBtesG1Xds4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>So what stops poor people from eating healthy under $10/day again?

Poor people are usually stupid too

Different places around the u.s. have different prices, you couldn't get a 1/2 lb of kale and a cup of quinoa at those prices in NYC. Not to mention low priced superstores like walmart aren't as widespread as you think, in both urban and rural out of the way areas sometimes the closest grocery store is a gas station quik-mart which can jack up the prices even further.

That being said, if you're in the southeast all of what OP said is true. There's a walmart and a target on every corner here.

You are supposing that they eat unhealthy because they are poor.

Usually, they are poor because they eat unhealthy. Lots of convenience foods, frozen tv dinners, junk food, fast food, soda by the 2L, etc.

They are used to nickle-and-diming themselves in small luxuries, so that paying $6 for a Monster Energy drink and a gas station hotdog is 'cheap easy' meal for them.

fat people never want to admit they're hedonistic gluttons. if they can't blame genetics, they'll blame it on poverty.

>Kale
FUCK YOU

It's a god damned meme. It is shit through and through.
Did you know 5 years ago 90% of kale sales went to be used as fucking inedible garnishes?
FUCK KALE

Because it wasn't being eaten often, some vegan fucklord tried eating it as a real food. And because it wasn't popular, it became popular as a "Huh, you're not eating kale, the superfoood? Typical pleb"

That's the entire story of kale.

Eat spinach.

>t. Popeye

Because they don't know how to cook. In the good old days men were men and women were women and we knew that if we tipped our hats at the ladies and held the door open and were generally just nice guys, it would all come together and we'd have our princesses fall in love with us just like in the movies. But I have come to learn (thanks to Veeky Forums and other sites where we can tell it like it is), that because of rampant feminism cooking is now basically considered the same thing as rape (most rape claims are false btw). Same reason why I can't get a GF and the term "virgin" which used to be a good thing, is now considered an insult.

So now people don't even know that you don't have to tip these entitled waitresses and delivery girls (I tipped once just to be nice and it didn't even lead to sex, what a ripoff!)

>europe: 20 pounds of fruit is 30 Euros
>USA: 20 pounds of fruit in 200 dollars

what is this ration ville, shit. one bite of the granola bar a day.

Yeah ok grandpa, and grass jelly really costs 22 cents in the land before time that you hail from.

Go back to /pol.

Even the weird jackfruit they have at my grocery is only 1.50$/lb

>euros
>using pounds

>300$ a month for food alone
Thats poor in america?

Wasn't it popular in places like Germany before the superfood meme?

there is a lot of really cheap food though, if you want it. most people want the 6 dollar double burger.

im probably having the chicken from that chineese place up the street, about 3 dollars for a leg. mfw

youtube.com/watch?v=DBtesG1Xds4

It is a traditional food here during winter.

Lots of times it comes down to availability. Many neighborhoods wfh poor families are good deserts where the nearest decent grocery store is far away.

You also have to consider that poor families are often working multiple jobs so they may not have time to cook. Rice and beans is usually given as a poor staple but if you get the really cheap dry beans they need two hours to fully cook, which is time parents might not have between their multiple jobs and taking care of their kids.

No $300 a purchase, especially if you're feeding more than just yourself.

how is milk healthy?????????
same with kale. shit is known to fuck up your digestive system.

Not if you soak them first

Because the people picking these vegetables are dirty.

>quinoa
>sunflower seeds
>kale

perhaps their heterosexual?

Some people just deserve a beating, what the fuck.

>it's the feminists fault
i fucking KNEW IT
IT'S ALWAYS THEM BITCHES

>Until the end of the Middle Ages, kale was one of the most common green vegetables in Europe. Curly-leaved varieties of cabbage already existed along with flat-leaved varieties in Greece in the fourth century BC. It was also used as medicinal food source. Disocorides wrote that it could be used to treat bowel ailments
>MEME FOOD MEME FOOD
>IT'S A MEME
>NO ONE ACTUALY LIKES KALE
>MOM LOOK I POSTED THE M WORD AGAIN ON Veeky Forums

Hell, I didn't realize peasants in the middle ages were sjw, antifa, hipster, libcucks. The greeks I could believe, fucking intellectuals, but 12th century peasants?

>12th century
>peak of Islamic '''civilization'''
that's why

spinach lowers testosterone

>Because it wasn't being eaten
In your country

Over here kale is just a regular winter veg. I was surprised to find out it is seen as a superfood in the US. But that's just it isn't it? (((Superfood))) doesn't real. It's just regular food from over there.

they don't sell kale in the ghetto

They've eaten raccoon and bugs in China for thousands of years. Not because its a good food or tasty, but because they have no other food.
Kale was popular for the same reason.

>So what stops poor people from eating healthy under $10/day again?
Addiction to sugar and fat obvs

These threads are always stupid because of people arguing about the prices. The point is, unless you live in the middle of nowhere in a rich white country you can always afford to eat well for little money. But it takes a bit of time and effort which is not something are willing to expend due to either circumstances or laziness.

you don't need to cook pre-cooked chicken

You're the dumbest person on this entire website.

>(not taking into account that spices and sauces are not sold by the ounce but instead by the bottle)
im sure its cheap if you spread out the entirety of your spices to a max but initially it was cost a fuck load and most people dont have money to go buy bottles of herbs spices and sauces

what about popeye huh faggot?

>implying that's a bad thing

>whole chicken
>$.37
lmao no

I hate to say it, but barring an addiction or some shitty luck, this user is right.

>this entire post

>people are taking this post and image seriously
So sweet. So innocent.

Judging from the food, it's pribably prices on some south east asian country

>eating healthy
*healthily
Retard.

Interesting. She acknowledges that there could be all kinds of shit on the peppers and still lets her kid lick them.

>$10 a day

Dude I spent $11 on food like four days ago and I'm still living on that
An onion, two carrots and a bell pepper and butter for curry, and bread and peanut butter. Already have the flour and rice and curry powder. Couldn't afford yogurt even though it's way better with it. It needs to last me another week. You don't know what poor is

Oh also, $2.47 on a big package of bone in skin on chicken thighs for the curry because they're .50 cents a pound

who cares I bet I eat healthilier than you

Doubtful, fatty.

nice

I bet you could survive for 6 months just from your internet/mobile phone subscription.

Nothing stops me.
Each day I have beans, berries, other fruits, 400-500 grams greens, other vegetables, flax/chia, nuts, whole grains, spices, tea/coffee, all for under $6

No, fuck you.

t. Northern Germany

NYC actually has super cheap produce my man

that looks good what is that called?

Looks damn good. My Oma is German from back in the 40s. She likes broccoli rabe when she's out here. Is the kale in your dish prepared similarly? Kale is bitter to begin with but maybe that's where she picks that up from?

Chicken is for beta faggots. Beef kidneys are much healthier and great for gains. They're also 59 cents a pound, much cheaper than chicken.

>under $10/day again?

>$300 a month on food
>poor

Dried legumes are really good if you want to eat healthy for next to no money. The protein content varies depending on the brand, but you want to go for the ones that have the largest protein content so you're getting a good ratio of complex carbs and protein.

Hm...I would have to restock staples at some point but yes I think the $80 that goes into cell/internet could do at least two months

Also this other guy that lives here seems to exclusively eat lentil soup. Also his crock pot is gross

Lentils with turmeric and cumin are great for eating healthy on a budget. Turmeric and cumin are great for you as well.

>his crock pot is gross

That's called "seasoning," senpai ;)

It's called never fucking cleaning up after your gross ass

kid probably is healthier for licking those b12 vitamins off the veggies

>vegetables
>b12

that doesn't sound right

Im a hillbilly and i grow kale and drink from a mason jar and have a beard and im sick of hipsters appropriating my culture

kale seems too good to be true nutritionally i doubt it can be absorbed very well compared to say broccoli

OR you could just spend that 6 bucks on a Little Caeser's Hot N' Ready Sustenance Disk and hit all the major food groups for the day.

Who's claiming kale is more nutritious than other cruciferous vegetables?

Pretty sure it's just a bland mishmash of gizzards, beaks and legs not even the chinese would touch.

I don't think you understand what "whole chicken" means

same species you dipshit

there is no kale in my country
it's europe
i have never heard of kale ever in my life i have never eaten kale in my life before and ive tasted some weird shit

what tf is an kale?

It's a lettuce
Kinda dark, little more bitter and crunchy than spinach

Isn't the McDouble considered a super food? That's a lot of protein and calories for the price.

I'm pretty sure you're confusing the McDouble with the McChicken. The best fast food sandwich.

milk is racist and unhealthy.
t. Nigger

How the fuck are you paying $4.00 a gallon for milk? Let me guess, a dozen eggs cost $2. Right?

They need to pay for stuff other than food, like housing, transportation, and other kinds of stuff. They won't just spend 100% of their income on food.

Grünkohl. I know that's what it's called in German.

here in canada our milk doesn't use antibiotics and it's grass fed

Inb4 "you live in america's dairy land"
We import a lot of your milk here in Wisconsin. It's cheaper for cheese makers to have their milk cross the US Canada border and at least 2 states. Hell, even the hardware store I work at sells a gallon of 2% milk for $2.20.

>$10 a day just for food
>$300 a month a person just for food
>$1,200 a month a family just for food
>$14,400 a year a family just for food
>25th percentile income is around $25,000 a year before tax
>60% of income just to food, when average rent is 30% of income
user you're literally not leaving enough in the budget to pay to take the bus to the store plus run the refrigerator and oven

If poor people knew how to spend money wisely, they wouldn't be poor.

who wants to eat like that? those aren't foods but merely just ingredients

You mean regular produce or meme-super-food like kale and quinoa and whatever the hipsters want to pay high price for?

B12 is on the surface of vegetables, not inside. That was the joke.

Idiots on the internet, soccer mom, etc.

You're doing it wrong if you pay much for quinoa. I get mine for two-something a pound. It's mechanized now.

vegetables do not contain b12, it can only be obtained from animal sourcees

Indeed.
So the presence of B12 on the skin of vegetables would indicate someone pissed or ejaculated on the tomatoes, or used cucumbers as a dildo, or some other disgustingly similar events.
That was the joke.

Why not, beef up their immune system

B12 is not made by plants or animals. It's made by bacteria, so you can get it from colonized animal corpses or dirty vegetables. The simplest and cheapest way however is just supplements.

LOL at all these rich people talking in this thread even though they have no idea what it's like to live on budget

?

>individual consumers buying in bulk at restaurant supplier prices

>kale, quinoa, sunflower seeds
Are you a fucking rabbit or something?

>superfoods

more like pooperfoods lol

Pardon me but are you a retarded nigger?

If so, I understand your position and off you this jpg.