CHEAPEST FOOD EVER

This thread is about depression-tier cheap food. Food that gets the job done and nothing more.

I'll start with hardtack and broth. I twice-baked dough with a 3:1 flour:water and some salt. It's eatable after soaking in liquid for 15 minutes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3OPQqH3YlHA
youtube.com/watch?v=-7ZjKl-d2Tc
youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo
youtube.com/watch?v=t8_8Qg32TSg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

With a glass of milk. Reminds me of the good ole days

Rice and beans.

Luxury food fit for a king. My grandparents had it real hard, they survived on nothing but dirt, sawdust, and a single coffee bean from 1928 to 1934.

youtube.com/watch?v=3OPQqH3YlHA

I'm gonna have to hurt all of you now but it's for your own good.

youtube.com/watch?v=-7ZjKl-d2Tc

I always love watching these. She was the reason why I took up cooking.

Watched a few of these.

Subscribed.

Not that it matters because she's dead, but I'm going to watch them.

400g semolina
750ml water
pinch of salt

cook salted water, stir in semolina, put on a lid and let it steam for half an hour

tatos and onions
boil potatoes
cut
panfry with onions
pretty sure you cant go cheaper

The king of cheap eats.

Rice: $5.99/20lbs (makes 120 servings)
Beans: $4.99/10lbs (makes 80 servings)
Celery, onion and green bell pepper: 33¢ per serving total
Oil: 4¢ per serving

Total cost: 48¢ per serving, 55¢ if you add a stock cube.

Anyone else feel sad when the aromatics cost more than the staple? It's like when shitty-ass Bar-S goes on sale and the hot dog buns cost more than the meat tube itself. Something sad about that.

Learn to bake bread and biscuits.

Nigga, I worked as a baker all through college and still bake bread for myself because I like it, but they're really comparable in cost if you can get a good deal on strong flour (or are fine with eating non-chewy bread). Otherwise, homemade bread is substantially more expensive. Of course, we're squabbling over pennies at this point.

>homemade bread more expensive

1lb flour - $.50
1 tsp salt - $.005
Water - negligible
1 tsp active dry yeast - $.20 (if sourdough starter, far less)
Oven energy - $.20

Niggah, that's cheaper than the cheapest godawful cellophane wrapped paste from a grocery.

THAT'S NOTHING!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

It makes me sad that beans have a high chance of giving me heartburn because I love them.

>meat tube
You reminded me of how my granddad calls hot dogs "tube steak" and chuckles to himself every time. I also just realized that since he grew up during the Depression this was probably a joke his parents made when serving him a meal similar to He was the first in the family to graduate from a university and he's fairly wealthy now, but he still cuts corners to save money whenever he can.

Your prices result in a cost of ~11¢ per serving, which is more expensive than homemade bread when I make it (6¢ per serving). Rice is 5¢.
If we're going for calorie density, your homemade bread provides ~16 calories per cent while rice provides ~55 calories per. Mine is ~37calories per cent.

Again, though, we're squabbling over pennies.

My dad's Halfmerican. He called them that, too. I'm guessing American dads all do this, but since he can't cook for shit, his specialty for when cooking for us kids was to dump a pack of Oscar Meyer into a tin or two of baked beans and we'd eat that with toast. Or chopped up hot dogs cooked with a box of Kraft mac and cheese. Or a tin or two of tuna with mac and cheese.
Best thing, though: hot dog and egg in ketchup fried rice. Sounds gross but it's the menu of my childhood with dad. :3

Still gonna be bringing boxes of these to Uni, fuck buying Maruchan/Top.

just someone here who thinks you deserve a (you) for actually being a Veeky Forums who is about cooking instead of posting guesses
nice

Fry bread

Flour, salt, baking powder, water.

Fry it up in cheap oil or lard. Delicious.

>hardtack

But why? Real good bread is the same ingredients and way nicer. All you need is yeast

The benefit of hardtack is that it will last forever if it doesn't get wet.

Literally no one in America calls hot dogs "tube steaks", must have been an old-time thing- maybe he's from the South(east) where they are always 50 years behind

If you go to a bulk store you can get literally like 100 of these for $5 or so where I live

Dough burgers is a cost effective way to handle minced meat.
2lb hamburger
2 cups of flour
2 eggs
Add water till it looks like a slurry.

Its like making meat pancakes

My mom was one of seven kids in an extremely poor family. Her father was an alcoholic who drank most of their money away and having seven kids I'm sure he was not swimming in cash to begin with.

At the time when welfare did not give you as much and it was literally just meant to survive they made just a few dollars too much to get food stamps and other assistance. Regardless of how many kids they had. My mother tells me stories of some days just being able to eat bread and gravy for dinner and nothing else. Having meat was considered to be a real treat as was any sort of fruit. A lot of times a piece or two of fruit was a stocking stuffer during Christmas.

congrats, you've "invented" meatloaf

I wish your grandad the best of health. God bless

Fuck my asshole we are so very lucky nowadays

It's not really "nowadays", you just now happen to be in the half of the current world population dealing with an obesity crisis rather than a starvation crisis.

>aromatics cost more than the staple
You could adjust the recipes to rely on aromatics that can be grown easily at home and give good yields.

Yeah we definitely live in a different time. My mother was telling me that often my grandmother would go without eating just to make sure the kids had food. The saying within their family was whoever eats the fastest gets the most when it comes to second helpings if they even had any.

On a rare occasion they would get a whole chicken which you would think would make a decent meal but with 7 kids and 2 adults to feed there really isn't much there.

this is like 3 dollars worth

>carbs and carbs
he said poor not incomprehensive

I'm going on a journey and hardtack is very portable, see

4 cans of beans
2 cans tomato sauce
Cayenne, paprika, chili powder, spoonful of flour

Bam, chili for $7, could easily be stretched for 4-5 meals depending on your size. I'm a big guy, so it only lasts me 4ish. You can substitute cans of beans for dried, as they are probably cheaper.

Borcht is the king of poor man's dishes, just basically cabbage, carrots, and whatever you can find boiled in a broth of beets (just shredded beets, water, and a good amount of salt). For like 5$ you can feed 10. Serve this with homemade bread to really complete it.

Those shitty $5 pizzas at Little Cesears.

rice with beans together have a complete protein so you are getting everything you need in a day. Add some pork fat to get your daily fat too.

finding this thread is reassuring knowing that no matter how shitty life gets in the future, so long as i have internet and a computer, i can still get by

i guess the "you can never leave" meme was right after all

There's a very similar dish that's very popular in India.
youtube.com/watch?v=t8_8Qg32TSg

Can of hominy

You lucky americans, in Vancouver rice is $20 for 15lbs, beans about the same, ONE bell pepper is $2.50, etc. Shit is out of control here

I dont know if ive ever seen a 20lb bag of rice for 5.99. I wouldnt doubt that they have it that cheap at wallmart though.

Agreed. Vancouver is ridiculous. Where in can you from?

I'm glad you got the joke, fucking Monty Python was genius.

I posted those prices.
I've never been to Vancouver so forgive the possible stupidity of this question, but is living there substantially more expensive than living in Toronto? Cuz I've found supermarket prices in Toronto comparable to those in my area.

Nah bro. Walmart's costlier than that by quite a lot. I don't shop there because it's so expensive compared to shopping sales at regular-ass supermarkets. The prices I quoted were sale prices from the biggest regional chain supermarket in my area, Shoprite. They run the east coast from Massachussetts (or possibly as far as Maine) down to Maryland. This is own brand stuff, by the way. If you're poor, you shouldn't be buying Kokuho Rose or other costly brands of rice. I know too many retail monkeys who complain about not having money but then buy expensive ass shit without have ever tried cheaper alternatives.

My Sam's i the south has Riceland long grain rice $16.58/50lb bag, Royal basmati rice $16.89/15lb, Spaghetti $4.50/6lb box.

I live in Vancouver now, but originally I'm from Ontario. I'm actually thinking of going back east the cost of living is ridiculous in the west.
Yes, although I've heard that Toronto is not much better recently. Our real estate prices drove up the prices for pretty much everything. Rent is like $1500 for a one bedroom apartment in the outskirts, groceries are WAY more expensive than anywhere else in Canada, even our car insurance is retarded. There's only one insurance company (run by the government) who charges essentially whatever arbitrary amount they wish. For a driver with one normal vehicle and no accidents for 10 years is about $2000 per year. BC (British Columbia) is jokingly referred to as Bring Cash