Whisk(e)y general

ITT we share our experiences/opinions about certain whiskeys.
I have Wild Turkey 101, JW black label and Aberlour 12yo. Opinions on these? Which one is the best for old fashioned or Manhattan?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2379101/Aldis-Highland-Black-8-Year-Old-Scotch-Whisky-wins-gold-medal-industry-awards.html
telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11645568/Aldi-12.99-whisky-wins-top-medal-at-drink-awards.html
youtube.com/watch?v=7VSj9xaNWpw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My personal favorite is Talisker 10 yr. The price shot up ridiculously in 2015 so it's a rare treat these days

same here, good taste user

For Christ's sake, why would you make a Manhattan with scotch?

A Manhattan with Scotch is a Rob Roy, and either cocktail is going to taste way different (and a lot worse, imo) with Scotch. Go with the Wild Turkey,

High West Campfire was my sipping whiskey, but I just ran out. Gonna pick up Angels Envy Rye next.

My go-tos for cocktails are Bulleit Rye and Elijah Craig. I usually drink spirit-forward cocktails like Manhattans so I like to have a decent whiskey for the base.

wild turkey 101 is good for an old fashioned. drop the IBA shit and do like so:

1/4 or 1/5th of an orange peel, fully muddled
4oz wild turkey 101
rocks
soda
no garnish

this is what was being done in the prohibition days to make low grade hooch drinkable.

Only thing I drink is wild turkey and crown royal, Iv been meaning to try jameson. What are some other options that are under 50 usd?

Fellow anaons, I'm currently searching for a scotch and a bourbon
Any recommendations for those?
(I'd have around 35 Bucks for the Scotch and around 20 for the bourbon [as I never had bourbon before and am more interested in the bourbon-based cocktails anyways])

>on hand right now
Aberlour A'bunadh
Highland Park 18
Glenfarclas 21
Bowmore Laimrig (cask-strength, non-chill filtered special version of Bowmore 15)
Lagavulin 16 distiller's edition
Glenmorangie Signet
Blanton's Gold Edition
Booker's
George T Stagg
Whistlepig rye

Also a whack of fortified wines and two bottles of Armagnac

Never tried their rye before. Do they do the same port cask finish on that as they do with the bourbon, or is it different?

>9065943
I haven't bought Talisker in a fair while. Sucks about the price, it used to be a real gem as far as quality/price ratio went.

PEAT.

Hail to the King.

I use:
Buffalo Trace for Old Fashioneds
Rittenhouse Rye for Manhattans
Dewar's White for Rob Roys
Beefeater 24 for Martinis
Hendricks for Gin&Tonics
Espolon for Margaritas
Hennessy VS for Sidecars
Kraken for Rum&Cokes
Stoli for Screwdrivers

Currently enjoying a 10 dollar Black Velvet.

I might switch to an 8 dollar gin if I feel particularly spiteful to my liver

Ok, I get it, no scotch for manhattan. But what about old fashioned?

Too sweet for regular sipping imo.

cmon man.

I had this last month. I'll never taste anything better before I die.

Rob Roy you faggot

Don't bother. People like that live in fear of their own food, it's the same kind of sperg who gets angry if you put anything other than salt on beef because it's a "waste" or something like that.

Talisker is pretty sick. The Distiller's Reserve is top notch.

If you like peaty single malts that are a little less medicinal and saltier like Talisker, you'd like Caol Ila, it's top notch. Kilchoman is a good call for that kind of style as well - pic related.

Not sure about the GBP to USD conversion, but if you can grab a lower end single pot still Irish whiskey like Redbreast 12, it's lovely. Much better than the trash that is Jameson, but the same style. About £40 in Sterling, so I'd imagine it would be around the $50 mark, not sure how much customs fucks you guys in the states for EU imports.

Anyone who drinks expensive blended or peated scotch is unironically a faggot with poor taste.

>expensive
>blended

Peat for peats sake is shit and cringeworthy, but nothing wrong with a lil bitta dat smokey goodness son.

>>expensive
>>blended

JW Black is the epitome of overpriced blended scotch. I can get single malt for the same price or even cheaper where I live.

Also Islay/peated scotch is to whiskey, as shitty hop monster IPAs are to craft brews. Literally the biggest meme in the past decade.

I just realized how worthless and childish this entire board is. Just read this shit. You sound like an infant. Do a McDonalds critique next.

>hop head/peat monster faggot butthurt because he's called out on his shit taste

Grow up, lad.

Read my previous. Peat for peat's sake is stupid.

Just because a flavour isn't to your liking however, doesn't make it inherently bad. Funnily enough, the international community doesn't base its perceptions on your personal palate.

>Funnily enough, the international community doesn't base its perceptions on your personal palate.

Oh wait, Glenfiddich and other unpeated whiskey are he best selling single malt scotch. Stupid fuck.

I'm getting in to scotch and I'm finding speysides to be more to my liking. I recently bought a Glenlivet 12 yr and an Aberlour 12 yr. I think I like the Aberlour more due to the sherry color and the sweeter tones it has.

Because funnily enough, peated whiskies are a small share of the market, it wouldn't make sense for them to outsell their unpeated counterparts.

The likes of Glenfiddich sell well because they're a safe bet for a gift, a novice whisky drinker, or the unadventurous - they're neutral, inoffensive, palatable, and they don't break the bank.

By that logic, Jack Daniels should be the best whiskey in the world, since it's one of the highest selling?

>speysides to be more to my liking

Based, this nig knows what's up. Lots of iodine and ocean taste, speysides are the best single malt.

Peated scotch is trash dude, accept it and move on like a big boy.

For me it's Jack Daniels, the best whisky drink.

Yes, we'll ignore the well lauded examples across the board that have been praised by panels of experts in favour of the personal tastes of a stranger on a Mongolian basket weaving board.

I'm looking into a Glenfiddich 15 yr, a Glenfiddich Bourbon 14 yr, or Aberlour 16 yr. Which do you think would be the better choice out of the three?

Tasted this gem at my rich uncle's wedding last week.
Holy shit. I understood completely why rich people are cunts just by taking a sip.

I can't really help you there, I've never had any of those. I had glenfiddich rum cask 21 and it was good, but barely a speyside anymore. Go with your heart.

>no scotch for a manhattan
This user gave a Scotch suggestion.
>Dewar's White for Rob Roys

bottom shelf liquor makes bottom shelf cocktails

I'm not saying go use a $300 botttle but a 15 year islay makes a really good rob roy

for drinking neat I prefer Japanese or Speyside anyway

Their rye is actually finished in rum casks. Adds a really interesting, light layer of sweetness you don't normally see in a rye. Very fun whiskey.

Also mad jelly of your Whistlepig there.

Old Fashioned was the first one on my list. I use Buffalo Trace.

World's highest rated bourbon coming through.

>speyside
>iodine and ocean taste
nigga wat, speyside is a variety mostly populated with sweet sherried whiskies

Highland Earl Black.
Costs £12.
Cheap as fuck Aldi whiskey, beat £100 whiskeys in whiskey tasting competitions a few years in a row.
Fuck spending £50 on meme whiskeys when you can get this for barely more than a tenner.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2379101/Aldis-Highland-Black-8-Year-Old-Scotch-Whisky-wins-gold-medal-industry-awards.html

telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11645568/Aldi-12.99-whisky-wins-top-medal-at-drink-awards.html

I'm a product engineer for one of the largest whiskey companies in the world.

AMA

which company

Jack, Early Times, Old Forester, Woodford Reserve

>AMAZING
What information of interest do you have that could make us give a shit?

That's definitely the islands he's thinking of, yeah.

An insight on how products are made, information regarding liquid production, and what it's like to work in the whiskey industry in general.

*insight into how products are made

I'm a poor collage student so the only whisky I drink is Rittenhouse and Old Gran Dad

I work in a state liquor warehouse, the amount of Black Velvet I move every single day is fucking disgusting.

Stop. You can do better.

Old Granddad Bonded is the true choice of poor gentlemen, best inexpensive Bourbon on the market.

This is a true alcoholic... I'd know

Your a fucking faggot. Drink that whole bottle an kys faggot. I only say that cause there isn't enough abv% in a half gallon to kill your average white girl

Old granddad is actually pertty good IMO. Smoothest bourbon you can get for under 20 usd

JW Blue, still best in the land

a blend that costs 300 bucks. what a fucking disgrace. try 1999 distillers edition lagavulin.

it's beyond delicious. It's the only liquor that tastes good because of it's high quality grains. And a bottle cost maybe 150

Is Japanese whisky genuinely good or is it all a meme

It's a meme. Some Jap distillers throw rice into their mash bills and it does give a smoother character but it's not enough to really notice unless you're extremely serious about your whiskeys/bourbons.

Is Japanese whiskey an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means?
Dumb fucking weeb.

I live in Japan. Hibiki is pretty delicious, but it's a blend, and I don't know if it's any higher quality than, say, Makers Mark.

That said, I enjoy Suntory White. It's kind of one note, but it's cheap as fuck and a much higher quality than Jack Daniels or Wild Turkey, given the price. So while I say cheap Jap whisky is better than cheap American whisky, it's kind of a toss up once you start getting into more expensive bottles.

Whiskey pleb here.
Wondering if there are any suggestions for someone who wants to try a wide variety of styles and flavors to narrow down my options next time?
Also, should I drink straight and in cocktails, and if so, which ones?

Plz no bully

which country are you based in

I love a good Sazerac, but I am from the South so maybe biased.

US, Houston more specifically.
I've seen a lot of Texan whiskey around, but not sure what that means as a style or if it's just a marketing thing because Texas loves itself so much.

So yeah, a sazerac is actually the official cocktail of New Orleans and one of my favorites personally. Shouldn't be too hard to track down a place that knows how to make one right.

It's cheap brands at specs. They push them because they get higher profit margins. Start shopping at total wine. Way better selection and prices.

Side note: just got a bottle of weller 12. One of only six in Houston atm. May mean more is about to ship out.

>Start shopping at total wine. Way better selection and prices.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check that out. Specs moved in on Dallas recently and is certainly hit or miss. I also kind of hate them for absolutely gutting a Deli that had been great since the '80s, forcing them to serve generic food instead because they insist that's what people need and want.

Nice to meet a fellow Houstonian! Okay that makes sense. I know (in theory) the difference between scotch, Irish whiskey, Japanese whiskey, bourbon, rye etc, but had never heard of Texas or cowboy whiskey until I noticed it about a year or so ago.

Thanks, I'll definitely try that. Is there a specific brand of whiskey you recommend, or just the sazerac brand?

The sazerac brand is kind of a meme. I'll accept any good rye whiskey really.

Just got some J&B, tell me what ya know

thinking about trying some Jura this weekend
what bottle do yall recommend?

They have this and a bunch of other stuff on sale at my Walmart for $8 and I'm broke

i'd recommend not buying any of them.
its supermarket fodder.
you can usually get something decent in or around the same price bracket

what would you recommend
I like trying new scotches

Those are both great options. What do you recommend?

>american 'whisky'

just kys

it's whiskey, with an "e", and you can get fucked you elitist child, genuine appreciation means enjoying the unique differences between the different styles instead of just picking a team and ignorantly sticking exclusively by it like some kind of retarded sports fan

corn swill is not scotch. you need to learn this. you can be as pious as you want, you still sound like a dipshit when you compare scotch to jack daniels.

nobody said bourbon and scotch were the same you assclown, you sound like a dipshit for pulling assumptions out of your ass, especially because nobody also compared scotch to jack daniels
You sound like some pretentious 18 year old who thinks being seen to exclusively favor scotch makes you appear cultured, but anybody who knows their whiskies just sees you as a posturing fag

Maybe I drank Jack when I was in highschool and I moved on the scotch, the I moved on to Lagavulin 16 and then I moved on to Lagavulin 1999 distillers edition. Do you need a picture?

This is the best booze anyone will put on their tongue in their lifetime. My Aunt bought it for me.

who gives a fuck what you drank when you're clearly more invested in what people think of your "superior taste" than actually enjoying variety, nobody is impressed by your personal branding

why the fuck have you even latched on to jack daniels when nobody has brought it up before you namedropped it

I'm talking about real booze you fucking dipshit. Why are you even here?

you didn't understand that jack daniels was the embarrassing simplistic whiskey. oh well.

because there's an underage faggot like you who turns up in every whisky/ey thread and tries to impress everybody by soapboxing about how superior his exclusive tastes are, nobody gives a shit about your personal brand loyalty

you didn't understand it wasn't even a bottle of jack daniels you flailing mongoloid

hehehe, are you ok? This is just about booze. You seem like you're having a fit. You know that barley and corn aren't the same thing, right? and that cooked barley makes scotch. Not WHISKEY. right?

youtube.com/watch?v=7VSj9xaNWpw

there you go, dummy. that's whisky.

Did you figure out whisky from the scottish highlands? You idiotic piece of shit,

At least you don't need to sound like assholes in public.

the effort of having to talk to an ignorant fag like you is on the verge of giving me an aneurysm

scotch is a variety of whisky, not a distinct liquor in its own right; whisky/whiskey is an aged grain spirit, that's the only requirement, and anything else is regional variation
the scottish and canadians call their varieties "whisky", the irish and americans call theirs "whiskey", and several of them use various grains like barley, corn, wheat, rye or even combinations thereof

I swear to christ I've had this same conversation before and it was probably with you, you backwards braindead gimp

holy fuck you're an idiot, I hope you've just been pretending the whole time

at least you tried.

everyone is rallying around your ideas... You're the best. heheehe

tried and succeeded at being correct, yes

you are the trump of being correct. so bigly correct I can't talk about it.

you're not even trying to be on topic any more

look at the assholes around you. would you? You're just stupid cunts trying to one up.