Tick Bites Gives You Meat Allergies?

Anyone ever experienced this or know anyone who has?

wired.com/story/lone-star-tick-that-gives-people-meat-allergies-may-be-spreading/

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-gal_allergy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

FIRST COMES THE unscratchable itching, and the angry blossoming of hives. Then stomach cramping, and—for the unluckiest few—difficulty breathing, passing out, and even death. In the last decade and a half, thousands of previously protein-loving Americans have developed a dangerous allergy to meat. And they all have one thing in common: the lone star tick.

Red meat, you might be surprised to know, isn’t totally sugar-free. It contains a few protein-linked saccharides, including one called galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose, or alpha-gal, for short. More and more people are learning this the hard way, when they suddenly develop a life-threatening allergy to that pesky sugar molecule after a tick bite.

Yep, one bite from the lone star tick—which gets its name from the Texas-shaped splash of white on its back—is enough to reprogram your immune system to forever reject even the smallest nibble of perfectly crisped bacon. For years, physicians and researchers only reported the allergy in places the lone star tick calls home, namely the southeastern United States. But recently it’s started to spread. The newest hot spots? Duluth, Minnesota, Hanover, New Hampshire, and the eastern tip of Long Island, where at least 100 cases have been reported in the last year. Scientists are racing to trace its spread, to understand if the lone star tick is expanding into new territories, or if other species of ticks are now causing the allergy.

Happened to my mom. We didn't know what the fuck was going on when it started, because doctors around here didn't seem to know it was caused by a tick bite at the time.

Im officially spooked D:

So she can't eat meat at all now?

Does she carry around an epi-pen?

Red meat

Just red meat, poultry and fish don't bother her at all. She gets the hives, cramps, and difficulty breathing symptoms when it happens. Don't think she carries an epi pen but I'm not sure.

good
carnism is a plague that needs to end

I unironically agree. I think meat should be a luxury and only locally sourced from decent farms

Really hope I never get bit by one of those pieces of shit. Had a Culver's double bacon cheeseburger for lunch 2 hours ago and it was great.

ticks are some of the most dangerous shit in first world countries desu. my mom got lyme and she never fully recovered

Takes 24hrs for a tick to transmit a bloodborne illness to it's host, after it's burrow in and has started feeding. If someone doesn't clean/check their body for an entire day in an scenario, ESPECIALLY after playing in fields/hiking, playing in the woods etc etc etc they DESERVE to get that shit.

One meat dish 3 days a week is something that can be both sustainable and tasty (on account of being well raised)

Sometimes it is permanent, sometimes it is hopefully temporary.

Gonna have to talk to a speciliast.

America didn't use to have this problem in the 1950s to 1960s when we carpetbombed everything with DDT.

Almost made mosquitoes and other nasty pests extinct in America.

That looks great. I stopped going to Culver's because their burgers were too greasy, I might try it again

It was kinda greasy, but not too bad.

That shit is no joke man. lyme gave me Bell's Palsy, I woke up one day and I couldn't feel or move half my face and it took me 3 months to be able to regain the ability to move it again. It absolutely decimates your nerves and once it's progressed far enough you LITERALLY can't get rid of it. The stuff nightmares are made of.

Ticks are fucking assholes.

They stopped because it was thinning the eggshells of wild birds of prey.

>muh DDT

The damage to the environment with the use of a persistent pesticide all the way up the food chain to the top rung predators was infinitely worse than the handful of people that contract tick and mosquito vectored illnesses which in 1st world countries are easily treatable with antibiotics. Humans alive during that time still have DDT in their fatty tissues. During the widespread use of it, populations of mosquitoes became immune to it's effects as well. And it's use in Africa had little effect on malaria rates.

You're just another cuckservative big agri/chemical shill hellbent on scorching the earth for profit.

lyme is often practically impossible to fully recover from
the antibiotics will temporarily negate the symptoms, but it will probably be coming back

Not all of them, though, just some birds of prey.

Those birds of prey aren't even used in human cuisine.

Making mosquitoes, bedbugs, lice, ticks, etc extinct in America would have been good enough of a tradeoff.

>During the widespread use of it, populations of mosquitoes became immune to it's effects as well

No they didn't. When DDT campaign was going on, India in its recorded history, had the lowest cases of malaria ever.

And sorry but there are many mosquitoes/pest related diseases that have no cures.

Don't give me that bullshit about antibiotics that only work on bacteria.

Most mosquito diseases are due to viruses.

Fuck off, hippie. We should start spraying everything with DDT again.

i did. all that happened was i ate a steak and my lips swelled up to the point i looked like an albino Jay-Z. took a benadryl, abstained from beef like 12 days. then no probs

No but to be hones I claim I have it just so I don't have to pretend to be some pretentious vegetarian faggot. I just dont like meat, they don't need to know why or think I'm some environmental fag.

Wait, are you telling me that this ISN'T fake?

I BET THE VEGANS DID THIS

its not as big a deal as the article made out. i mean some people do have more severe reactions and for longer periods of time, but its not like looking at a picture of a cow will make you asplode like Deacon Frost or some shit

Minor shit compared to Powassan Virus that has no cure and can kill you in as little as 15 minutes.
Fuck ticks.

I'm kind of shocked PETA hasn't started breeding these en masse and quietly distributing them to major cities.

Mosquitoes were already beginning to show signs of knockdown resistance when DDT was banned, so I don't think being able to still use it would be anywhere near as effective as you seem to hope.

>
wasn't this 100% proven to be a hoax

People in major cities are 90% leftists and PETA would be declared a terrorist organisation. Win/win.

I'll take the hit if it gets rid of these people.

>current year
>not being a leftist
What are you? Gay?

Assholes are the worst places to get ticks.

Well it was a designed weapon.

I got bitten on the dick by a tick, it was nestled down in my pubes and bit me pretty good. I had a hard lump just under the skin for about 3 months.

No?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-gal_allergy

>implying leftists wouldn't agree that it's worthwhile to stop bloodmouth carnists from torturing and devouring innocent animals

The vast majority still eat meat. Of course they'll vehemently decry any animal cruelty they hear about on facebook.

All i know is radiolab did a great show on it.

This explains the spread of the disease; fucking vegans are intentionally spreading the tick around.

From here on out I am going to execute every vegan I meet.

>antibiotics that only work on bacteria.
Doxycycline works against malaria, too. It's now the front-line prophylactic to keep from getting infected with malaria, because the specialty drugs can cause people to go psychotic.

What makes you think they haven't?

pretty sure this happened to my dog. the vet vehemently denied lone star being in florida. i've seen them, even on my dog, and she denied it like some dumb fuck. point is, they are just about everywhere, co-existing with deer tick and the rest of em.

yep. we're not invincible. i've had friends get leprosy.

third worlders love to be prescribed antibiotics. lets just make them drink tonic water instead

Soon upon America will be the age of Vegan Terrorists which cultivate these Ticks and spread them among the populace. America will then retaliate with a War on Vegans and occupy Berkley for a period of years.

>impotent carnist rage intensifies

Stupid question: is there any way to reverse the effects of the tick bite? Does it go away over time or will there have to be some sort of gene therapy/retro-virus that needs to be applied to reverse its effects?

fuck this thing

Happened to my sister. She went through a year of symptoms before they figured it out.

How do they find out if vegetarians have it?

Better impotent rage than impotent soy dick

You know what's the worst part with tick-carried diseases ?

THE TIME IT FUCKING TAKES FOR THAT SHIT TO BE DIAGNOSED FOR FUCKS SAKE, THESE MOTHERFUCKERS GO THROUGH YEARS AND YEARS OF STUDIES AND THEY CAN'T EVEN MAKE 1+1 WHEN YOU TELL THEM YOU GOT BITTEN BY A TICK

PLUS, THE TESTS TO DETECT LYME ARE AS FIABLE AS A SPACE ROCKET BUILT IN AFRICA

SO YOU END UP CHUGGIN ON ANTIDEPRESSANTS BECAUSE "IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD BRO"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

>soy is the only source of plant protein
t.cleetus

my friend got lyme and half his face is paralyzed for life

feels bad

radiolab is the alton brown of podcasts

literally just AIDS clowns making bleep-bloop noises to make interesting things not boring for ADHD millennials