Beer

The last thread died. Maybe this one will survive.
Got around to trying pic related tonight and it's incredible. Hazy, light touch of bitterness followed by a rush of tropical fruit. An all around great dipa. Reminds me of a less abrasive, surly abrasive. Anyone in Minnesota should check this place out or try to find a 4 pack.
What's Veeky Forums drinking tonight?

PBR because I'm not a punk bitch like you.

Nordeast because I like real beer, not faggy beer like that. Anyone in Minnesota who doesn't drink Nordeast has shit taste in beer.

But really, I used to think craft beer was neat, but now there are 5000 beers to pick from and you need to have your special snowflake beer brewed at the bottom of a lake with only fresh Algerian poppies or something like that. And the only people I ever see drink that stuff are hipster numales. Anyone I know that actually works for a living drinks regular beer.

I prefer premium. There are way too many beers now though. It's pretty overwhelming. If I hadn't tried this stuff out before I wouldn't have bothered with it.

>flaunts poverty
>shouts expletives

typical

I also like premium, usually better when I'm actually thirsty. Nordeast is the kind of beer you drink when you are hungry.

Eh. Nordeast is okay. I really wish summit would can their oatmeal stout. That shit is great.

Are you a fucking retard?

yoo thanks for reviving MN bro

I'm finishing off a pack of pic related. It's fine for an APA but I'm just never big on the style I think. This one's kind of oily. If I can find PseudoSue I grab it, that shit's great

Premium is the way to go, not Nordeast
agreed

I recommend Bronx Pale Ale and Bronx IPA for anyone in New York

Does anyone else love Boston Lager? I know some beer snobs are too pretentious for it, but I think it's really good in that it tastes like a real beer, but is easy to drink and doesn't have a retarded amount of hop flavor.

I also love Brooklyn Lager and Saranac Adironadack Lager

Boston Lager is pretty good! Haven't tried the others. I do prefer hoppier stuff but I can slam 6 of those on a hot day

Boston lager is a great summer beer. It has enough taste to really enjoy, but nothing overwhelming so its refreshing and you can get down more than one or two in a sitting

Gose master race reporting in. call me what you will but i literally havent wanted to drink anything else in like 2 years, even my favorite IPAs (what i used to drink) are just a bummer for me now.

fuck dogfish head in all ways, btw, they literally just brew the 60 minute (before adding the 60 minutes of hops) and just add a thousand different things and just sell pretty much the same beer under different names and its not even a very good beer, but i guess they do very well so i am in the minority, anyway this shit is so fucking good.

the problem with boston lager is not that it is mediocre at best, there are plenty of beers like this for example i love MGD, i know its not 'good' per se but for the exchange of alcohol the flavor is ok with me. the problem is that it costs the same as the best beers and it should cost what yuengling does AT BEST especially considering the infrastructure and amount of other beers they could sell at a premium.

somehow they convinced large swathes of the country that this is a 'craft beer' and worth premium prices and its just so not. so not that its bad just that its just that its completely overpriced, at the restaurant i work local breweries beers are usually 5.75-6.75 and boston lager is 7.25 and it sells so much more despite the local beers being amazing. i mean when most people think beer the spectrum goes from miller high life to boston lager and anything outside that is way too weird for anyone to try, and so they get to charge whatever they want it annoys me lol.

Who peels a lime?

i googled a picture lol

Isn't that how you use zest?

oh yeah I think it's horribly overpriced, I only grab it when I'm in Boston and can find it for cheap. I have a number of local pilsners I'll drink before that
hate on dogfish all you want but their witbier is damn good

i mean im the first to admit as much as i hate them their gose is my favorite one right now. im with you they strike occasional gold. i just tried a 2 year aged 120 minute next to a brand new one. honestly the aged one was even more disgusting. between me and 2 friends we finished about 1/4 of each

oh damn, I've only had the 90 minute and I thought it wasn't bad but definitely overhyped. I've seen the 120 minute for something like $10 per bottle in my store and I have no desire to pay that much for it

yea i did it once, and it sucked but i read it needs at least a year so i said ok 10$ is a small investment. never again. the have like 5 over 12 oz 20$ bottles and they all suck. when i was younger i was much more adventurous about trying everything but i cant say i was ever really happy with dogfish other than this seaquench, the 60/90 are fine but not worth the price

r8 my test beers. i enjoy fresh and light tasting beers. like budvar. the aura beer is my fav finnish ones. other ones there i havent tasted. where do i find out more about beer??

Firstly, I realise this post may be unpopular and disagreeable, but it's merely my opinion.

After putting it off a while, I finally decided to try some Blue Moon witbier. I didn't have very high expectations, having already sampled a few good Belgian wits, but I thought it would still be leagues ahead of typical adjunct lager.

I ordered a pint from the tap. What followed was the most awkward drinking session I ever had as I desperately sipped it away, trying not to overload my mouth with its nauseating citrus aftertaste. I have eaten overripe oranges and accidentally sprayed citrus hand sanitiser in my face, and drinking this beer reminded me of both experiences.

Small wonder lagers were invented to solve the problem of poor ale; the former at its worst is merely watery, skunked and bland, while the latter can truly ruin your evening, and haunt those yet to come.

i dont understand people who like ipa. its horrid shait

blue moon is shit m8

it took me a while but as long as I get ipa that isn't super pine-heavy I tend to like it. I've had a couple with rye in them that are really good, they tend to be maltier and sweeter and a bit spicy.

Agreed, my mom loves this stuff but no matter the flavor I just hate the bitter citrus aftertaste it leaves in my mouth.

Those better at least be from Alko. Staropramen is based, Weihenstephaner is pretty good, Holba is pisswater. Haven't had Weidmann.

How's Bell's Two Hearted Ale? Worth the hype? Picked up a 6-pack for $10, seemed reasonable for how much I've heard about it

I'm still a beer neophyte but I really want to get into craft beer. I've been trying the German/Belgian styles and really digging it (doppelbock, tripels, hefeweizens, dunkels). I also like stouts and porters. What are some other styles to try that focus more on the malty and less on the hoppy?

I have no shame in admitting I am a lover of the sweeter and a hater of the bitter.

Try scotch ales and barleywines

Brown ales are gonna be right up your alley. All the maltiness of a stout without the heaviness

Tried a Weyerbacher (sp?) Blithering Idiot a few weeks back. I was already a bit sloshed, so I don't remember how I feel about it, though I vaguely want to say that while it's not too bitter, it was more than I would have expected. Scotch ale is heavily on my to-do list, any names?

Thanks for the recommendation! That is a good reminder- I do remember liking those. I do admit I'm keen on trying the more "flashier" names and styles, but that is definitely the right direction.

Whereabouts are you? People might have recommendations based on region too

Good point. Maryland, near Baltimore.

I love Gose, especially in the summer right now. So great and refreshing.

I'm pretty much getting over my IPA phase. Maybe I'll enjoy a few good ones from time to time. But after being in California I had the "I never want to see an IPA again" reaction. It sucks because here in Canada the liquor store shelves are like 80% IPAs. I'm just tired of them. Getting into the next beer nerd stage of funky aged stuff, seems to be all the hype lately.

yea exactly lol and theres no way to say without sounding like a huge piece of shit but when i was first getting into IPAs most restaurants didn't even have one now its every single tap at every place i go and im into gose and everyone hates them most places dont even know that sour beers exist and when they get them they get these crazy hefty sours that are more similar to farmhouses imo than gose. the struggles but yea gose is totally a summer drink, its the salt + citrus + low alc % that makes it so refreshing, like a salt tarter gin and tonic

Dirty bastard, old chub, jacquobite ale or however you spell it

Noted. Thank you.

>Have lived in San Diego for years
>Somehow have not had Alesmith's IPA until recently

All this time.... All this time I've missed out

I think it's too bitter

Great beer and easy to find. I highly recommend it.

>Pliny the Elder

>Pliny the Younger

>Russian River

>California

I can't stand Lagers and Pilsners. Am I the only person in the world like this?

>tfw people have different tastes

Though to be fair, have you just been drinking shitty macrobrew lagers? Or have you tried some actual good lagers/pilsners? They can be pretty boring and also just awful sometimes so no you're not alone

Boston is the same price as the microbrews where I live.

it's not that bad

it's not great but you're overreacting

i thought it was funny.
that jacksass is probably still drinking PBR and getting head from his sister though. what are you doing with your life?

I'll suggest a beer to everyone but only if you're in the Dallas/FW area. It's got a great orange flavor but isn't bitter. Normally I like a 60+ IBU beer, but this one is smooth. Also, it may be available outside the DFW area, but for some reason it tastes flat even as close as Midland and Amarillo. So only if you're in the DFW area, try it.

If you're not drinking tripels you've got awful taste in beers

Drink them when it's hot as fuck. They taste best then

>Triples
Hello fellow alcoholic

yes they are. ok will start with holba. interested to see how aura works as a 4 beer

ipa customer spotted..

Weihenstephaner is nice, try their other ones too.

British ales would be worth checking out for you too. Even their IPAs are more malty than hoppy.

Yes, you're a very special snowflake.

I love tripels too. Karmeliet my fav so far.

Yup. You're literally the only one

I tried my first Gose just then. "Anderson valley brewing - Blood Orange Gose" - Pretty nice and different. Definitely a different flavour to what the current trends are in Australia which is IPA and Black IPA (IPA with more malt)

I'm getting over IPAs slowly and branching out into different styles and seeing what is really out there.

Currently trying:
- Goze
- Flanders red ale
- Red ales
- Brown ales
- IPA variations, i.e. red, double, black, etc.

+1 on the Nordeast. Wish they'd ditch the packers colors, though.

Awkward when you're watching the Vikings and drinking from a yellow and green tallboy.

That said, most nights I stop by the Mankato Brewery taphouse and get a pint or two. Damn it's nice living a few blocks away from great beer.

is New Belgium's tripel even remotely worth it? That's the only one I know of near me except for one obscenely overpriced taproom

David foster Wallace?

it's okay, I generally avoid them except for their Lips of Faith series

For the price it's alright

Every time I drive through Mankato it's on a long ass road trip or on the way back. I keep meaning to hit up the brewery since I love their mint stout and mad butcher is solid af

exactly. this is the problem.

thats one of my favorites just a good brewery in general too. i support cans over bottle all day.

>not drinking the best ale in the whole of england

I'm having the canned Stone Enjoy By Unfiltered. I like it better than the normal version a lot more. It's less bitter and doesn't have those onion-garlic notes I get from super hoppy beers.

Still a meme beer but a bretty gud meme beer.

It's a well made true to style Vienna lager. It's surprisingly easy to throw a few back after yard work or something, considering it's a little on the maltier side. Wish there were more popular darker lagers. :^(

Seconding the Anderson Valley gose cans, those are fucking delicious. Blood Orange and the Briney Melon goses are god tier.

Really good, probably one of the better widely made flagship IPAs on the market.

ENGLISH BARLEYWINES, SEE THE LIGHT.

If you liked goses, you would really dig berliner weisse. Tart wheat, little sour, and they're usually in the 3%-4.5% ABV range so you can have a few of them.

>Awkward when you're watching the Vikings and drinking from a yellow and green tallboy.

Your subconscious is trying to tell you which is the superior team by steering you towards that particular beer.

>It's surprisingly easy to throw a few back after yard work or something

I remember drinking a Boston Lager after helping my sister move last summer, and it was amazing. It's perfect for a hot, tiresome day.

drinking scotch and masturbating

I am pretty pretentious when it comes to beer, but New Belgiums Tripple is a fucking awesome beer all things considered. Usually cheap price, 8.5 percent, and dangerously drinkable.

When I worked at a grocery store, we had a beer reset and NB's tripel came out of the shelf set, so we marked it down. I brought home a case of it for 20 bucks and got wasted several times over.

Nah. Vikings are the underdogs. Packers are pricks.

i dont really like pale ales that much and prefer stouts and porters

anyone have any recs?

Trying this for the first time. Interesting. Will probably never buy it again

Drinking this tonight

I started getting into stouts a few months ago. Of the stouts I tried, Founder's Breakfast Stout was my favorite. Old Rasputin was also good. Those are pretty well-known, though. Someone else could maybe give you some better recommendations.

How cucumber-y is that? When you answer, please keep in mind that I REALLY like cucumber.

let me help you :^)

such a contrarian

tried a couple times. disgusting, my old room mate gives me a bottle on my birthday and i remember reading these should 1-2+ years of aging, so i threw it in my closet for 2 years, then bought a brand new bottle to compare. even more disgusting with age. yes i know you usually shouldnt age an IPA but this beer is hardly an IPA it just has a lot of hops not that you can taste much of anything other than the boozey barleywine flavor

Yeah I'm glad I tried it, but man that stuff is overhyped. Unique, but should have been a one time thing

What will be some upcoming trends with craft beer? More craft lagers?

Goses and Berliner Weisses are popping up everywhere

what's a berliner weisse like? similar to a hefeweizen?

similar to a wheat beer in grain bill and hopping, but soured by lactobacillus. A gose would be a berliner weisse with added corriander and salt.

I actually had a gose and I didn't like it because of the salt

And does that mean that a Berliner Weisse tastes like a sour?

Blood and Honey is dank

Had a couple of pic related tonight while out with some friends. Really pleasantly surprised with it and gets ya drunk quick

Dope, I'll grab some once I get through my current 6-pack
we can't help that the vikes are trash but we still love 'em
where do you live? Recommendations are easier when we know a region
I'm sure at some point I will buy it just to get drunk but I'm not expecting much out of it

Has anyone here tried Bronx Brewery?

Sour beer often with a low abv (think 3.5%).

I only had one sour so far and didn't like it, it was a little too funky.

Who /yuengling/ here?

>being loyal to a macro beer brand

mediocre at best, desu i would rather have MGD or Bud. calling it an amber is unfair.

Fuck yeungling. People only like it because it's locally made. It's like an almost flavorless fat tire

>I would rather than MGD or Bud

Absolute shit taste