What does michelin star food taste like? How does it compare to more expensive chain resturants like Olive garden...

What does michelin star food taste like? How does it compare to more expensive chain resturants like Olive garden, red lobster, ect? How does it compare to the typical foods we poor people eat?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wqDaZsgR5zg
web.archive.org/web/20160627064519/http://priceonomics.com:80/why-does-a-tire-company-publish-the-michelin-guide/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Imagine food so good it's worth driving thousands of kilometers to have. That's what michelin star food tastes like.

Tastes and looks a few inches longer after they fuck you up the ass with the bill

what the fuck does Michelin have to do with food?

because u have to drive to get the food

It's really just a whole different level of food. Everything makes sense, every ingredient and texture works. You don't even realize how important texture is until you've been to one. You may think crunchy and soft are textures, but I've had braised pork belly that was crackling on top, crispy underneath, velvet smooth fat, and tender meat, in one bite. It's breddy good senpai.

Like, these guys just cook for their entire lives, it's what they do. Imagine if every waking moment was spent perfecting and practicing something that that's how they do food.

But then you get the bill and have to shove your own fist into your ass and up through your throat to sign the receipt because you spent 3-5 hundred a person.

They started printing travel guides in 1900 to encourage more people to drive (and thus to buy their tires)

>make joke because think they just have the same name
>learn that they're the same company
well you learn something new every day

you wouldn't happen to know what the "stars" actually are?
i heard it once but can't remember what the symbols actually are, might be tires but not sure

They are asterisks

Lol it doesn't even have to be super expensive. Go to a one or two-star restaurant at lunch and they have special deals that make it manageable.

One star just means "Very good in category," after all

I've heard it said that one-star restaurants simply very good, while two-star restaurants are superior.

Three-star are "Go out of your way to plan a vacation to go to this restaurant."

Of course, plenty of restaurants don't get starts. Michelin doesn't rate ones in L.A. for example, even though n/naka would easily be a three-star restaurant.

Yea you're right. It isn't always that expensive, I was just relating my specific meal.

However, if you wanted to try the very best fishes from the best menus of the best restaurants, I'm sure most would go for the prix fixe or omkase menu, instead of a la carte lunch

>Steamed egg, uni, ikura, shiso, micro green of some kind

It's not rocket science.

I don't know how many of you dipshits have Netflix, but watch Chef's Table.

I would spend $500 on a multi course meal if it was absolutely amazing. I'd probably do that once every few years.

Pretentious shit that is in no way worth the money

Get me a steak bearnaise from my local french cafe for $25, it will beat whatever the hell you buy at a michellin star restaurant for $100+

You're right, it's not. Fine dining, like many things people spend a lot of money on, is quite subjective.

and even more restaurants are simply not mentioned at all, they only include "good" restaurants in their guide, so even being mentioned is pretty nice

lmao! same xD

I've had the privilege to eat at a 3 star restaurant
simply fantastic, I don;t understand people on Veeky Forums who constantly undersell the importance of presentation as well quality preparation/ingredients

i think spending an exorbitant amount of money on anime figurines or whatever other stupid shit people blow their money on is pointless.

i get that people don't get it.

macarons

yes, this was the one i was looking for. thank you

all you eat is steak?

better steak preparations probably come on the tasting menus at these place FYI, poorfag

how do I know if a restaurant is actually good or if it just has pretentious shit where you get a tiny piece of meat on a huge plate with foam on it?

If it has a Michelin star, there's no risk of it being bad. The issue is self called "gastronomic" restaurants where you can indeed be disappointed

It's not so much the difference between chain and Michelin star restaurants, just the difference between chain restaurants and proper restaurants. Anywhere with a focus on quality over turnover will blow your mind if you're not used to anything but chains.

I literally can't imagine that, feels bad tbqhlgbtq+

I saw that video in another of some euro fucker who got 2 stars for having you fry your own egg with some weeds. if I'm paying $400 for dinner I expect $400 worth of food, not some culinary emperor's new clothes shit.

its good, ive only been to one star places. however i feel having the star sets the expectations unrealistically high. the ingredients were the best, the balance was great. its got clear professionalism. id like to go that $1.50 michelin star place next time

thats only 3 star though

its amazing though, where else do you get the experience of cracking an egg?

I find that dish patronising and style over substance too but stop doing the typical thing of ignoring the many other dishes you get for your money.

>How does it compare to more expensive chain resturants like Olive garden, red lobster, ect?
It tastes good, for one

all his other dishes looked like shit too

>$400 worth of food,
you don't only pay for the good.. most part of the money will be for the cooking staff, waiters, wine, silverware ,fine plates, nice glasses, investment etc...

you pay for the experience

This. Someone who thinks a several hundred dollar meal out should be several hundred dollars' worth of food shouldn't be eating out.

So the entire culinary community kneels down before some tire company travel guides nobody reads? Why are they so cucked?

>bunch of pretentious shit and overpaid assholes to pour your water for you while pontificating about how many fucking trace minerals it has

High end dining is the biggest scam ever devised and only buyer's remorse leads plebs to defend it on here.

>High end dining is the biggest scam
nobody is forcing you to go eat in that kind of restaurants

>nobody reads

Kek you are deluded

>when you spend as much on the meal as you do a set of tires

Where do they sell them at anyway? Gas stations? Do you know anyone who reads them? I don't. Don't you think the situation is kinda fucked? I mean imagine if academy awards were given by McDonalds or something. But that doesn't happen because the cinema community doesn't let themselves be cucked by a fast food company. So why does the culinary community let themselves get cucked by a tire company?

I would like to see this video and other related videos. Does anyone have a link?
Thank you.

youtube.com/watch?v=wqDaZsgR5zg

Much appreciated

What do you mean cucked?

What is your problem with a tire company diversifying into travel guides and restaurant ratings?

Yeah, imagine if a beer company became the foremost authority on world records.

>Where do they sell them at anyway? Gas stations?
bookstores amazon, and they have a online database, a lot of people look online
> Do you know anyone who reads them?
yes
> I don't.
maybe you have bad frequentations...
> Don't you think the situation is kinda fucked? I mean imagine if academy awards were given by McDonalds or something. But that doesn't happen because the cinema community doesn't let themselves be cucked by a fast food company.
What is "product placement in movies " for 500$ alex....

So why does the culinary community let themselves get cucked by a tire company?

Because the guys who work for Michelin are former cooks or have a profound knowledge about cooking and gastronomie ... They do testing restaurants for over 100 years and have a high standart

they test anonymously ( not like other guides or 'food blogger') when a restaurant is supposed to receive a star, different tester eat there, not only one...

Here's an article about it if your'e really interested:
web.archive.org/web/20160627064519/http://priceonomics.com:80/why-does-a-tire-company-publish-the-michelin-guide/
People are complaining that in recent years they've been too much restaurant guide and too little travel guide, but it's a fact that the guides are selling over 100 years in, and getting updated annually.

Like buying Apple, if you're stupid enough it'll be pure bliss.

That will be 280$ plus 35% tip.

World records are a bit of fun, few people make a living off setting records, most importantly they're objective so the authority doing the judging doesn't matter. Michelin stars shape the food industry the same way academy awards shape the film industry.

without the wine....

>Yeah, imagine if a beer company became the foremost authority on world records

WHAT

IT'S THE SAM EFUCKING COMPANY AER SYOU FUCKING KDDING ME

for 280$ they better be spreading fucking coke on that table

The Academy Awards are awarded by an organization created by and for the movie industry. The awards are little more than the industry conducting its own internal politics.
Meanwhile, the Michelin guides are run by an organization that's unrelated to the restaurant business. The guides can also afford to be impartial, since (unlike the average tour guide) they're generously funded independently from their ability to sell copies or solicit payments from local businesses or local governments.

It's a pretty sweet deal for the field of restaurant appraisal.

I'm not against the Michelin guide, just pointing out how it's not the same as Guinness world records. Besides, you do have independent organizations that award the best restaurants in an area or country or region or cuisine. I think michelin guides are only reliable for French (or mediterranean) and modernist cuisine.

It used to be. They sold the publishing subsidiary in 2001.

I was fortunate enough to have dinner at The French Laundry a couple of years ago and would recommend that people with enough disposable income should treat themselves to an extremely fancy dinner at least once or twice in their lives. There's something surreal about knowing that the food you will eat at your dinner is supposedly some of the best food on Earth. All of your attention while eating is focused on the flavors and how the dish feels in your mouth, which is something that doesn't happen when I cook a typical weekday dinner.

The food was incredible and the service nonpareil. The price is exorbant but considering the amount of incredibly stupid-seeming decisions made by these high-end restaurants (only sourcing butter from a single woman who has four cows in an Irish pasteur for example), I could see where some of the money is spent. I bet the price is also high to keep out the riff-raff, kinda how airlines used to be a luxury and now they're basically public transit

It was a duck egg though and he picked the weeds from the forest.

>cheap ass cracker

Those guys looked like fucking hacks compared to every other restaurant on that show

>tfw no bib gourmand restaurants nearby

Adding to that.

>Personalized PR teams that sends personal notes of courtesy to you for dining at their place
>Top of the line service, the waiters are extremely polite, well informed and don't need to go back to the kitchen to ask questions for the chef.

I've been to a 1-star Michelin restaurant.

It was pretty good for its cuisine.

k

Quality of service doesn't affect star ratings. The couvert (knife-and-fork) is what rates service and ambiance.

Yelp, pictures don't lie. If it looks like a tiny piece of meat with foam on it served on a shovel it probably is.

High end dining is a genuinely pleasant luxury and only sour grapes leads plebs to shit on it here.

turned that pile of shit off after 20 mins because of how fucking boring it was; worst show on netflix, not even joking. Literally eyes bleeding boring as fuck.

That show is magical. You're just an uncultured swine

Going to be eating at Le Gavroche, and maybe Ledbury (on waiting list) next week in London. Anyone been to either?

>I bet the price is also high to keep out the riff-raff, kinda how airlines used to be a luxury and now they're basically public transit
There is some of that probably. Jackets required/Smart dress and No Children Under 12 are other helpful clauses. Not all the Michelin Star restaurants are expensive though, I've been to a number that are reasonable. Also sometimes they have lunch menus.

Nah famalamamama.

Some are super expensive, but that doesn't automatically mean they all are.

Christ that's inexpensive as hell! Shit restaurants in the US charge more than that.

Look at this man faggots.
2 dollars for a Michelin star meal.
This man is cool. Be like this man.

He wised up, there are real locations now.

LOOK AT HIM.
His name is chang hong menKong and he rightfully deserves to be the hero that Veeky Forums needs

The prices are still cheaper than mcdonalds

the food isn't that good, he can't push it

Yup. I've been to chain pubs that cost more.

Also those little Scotch Eggs are great, and the 40 day aged steak is the best steak I have ever eaten.

I thought it was boring too

I like mind of a chef

Dafuq am I looking at.

You can have lunch at l'Atelier Étoile if Joël Robuchon in Paris.
45euros per person without wine for a 2michelin star on the Champs Elysées right next to the Arc de Triomphe.
Many one star restaurants have normal pricing.
Of course some pretentious douchebags charge several hundreds of dollars for a few drops of foam on gigantic plates but it's not necessarily the norm.

Culinary art.

Are you trying to tell me that isn't extremely impressive plating?

Nope. I think Veeky Forums have some very strange ideas about what a Michelin restaurant is actually like. And I get it, because it has a mystique attached and a lot of people are scared of going somewhere so "posh".

How many *** places have no forks and spoons

It doesn't look pretentious to me, just careful, which is an admirable quality. Clearly this chef knows exactly what they want you to get in each bite, and how much of it. Isn't that what food is about? Texture and flavor?

I have to vouch for this. Its all about making the most of handpicked ingedrients sourced directly and out of your own wallet. Chefs buy their own knifes so I am not surprised if they have some personally purchased spices and privately sourced fish you cant just ask a wholesaler to get you

This webm is pretty impressive.
The first one with the dressing on the table.on the other hand surprised me.
Yes the gestures and dressage were very impressive and technical too... But how the fuck are you supposed to eat it?
It looked unnecessary and pretentious to me, while the dishes in your second post just brought saliva to my mouth.

Down in one bite or two. Its kind of like how you sample food or having tapas

Looking at the first item it was ceviche so yes they are enjoyed like Tapas

Why do people keep asking how to eat the alinea table dessert thing? It's just a flat surface like a plate, what's the problem?

>It looked unnecessary and pretentious to me

Normies complain about Alinea turning their tables into dessert for being unnecessary but probably go nuts for dumb uninspired overly flashy shit like onion volcanos at hibachi grills.

Would be wasted on me since I eat so fast. Might be able to control it for the first couple courses but I would eventually forget and start wolfing those tiny portions down.

Mind of a cheff 1st sea son is the shiet. I liked cheffs table bit mind of a cheff takes the price.

Chefs buy their own knives because they keep their own tools when they change jobs, same as any other tradesman. Buying ingredients with your own money doesn't make sense.

I believe every restaurant in the Guide has at least one.

>>>/alc/

WRONG, unless you dont really care about food. Food is a fundamental part of the human experience. Its in the same category as breathing, love, and sex. Its about the experience, the skill, the care, the ingredients, and the refined insane taste. If you don't like eating or cant respect fine culinary ingredients, fine wines or fine cigars or fine watches or fine anything then I feel sorry for you. Anyone can get a great meal at a fraction of the price, you can even make great meals at home. Every single ingredient in a 3 star Michelin restaurant is treated with the utmost care and with thought and reason behind it existing on the plate. Dining at those kinds of restaurants are life experiences and the food itself is only probably a third of the whole experience.