Just make a roux

>just make a roux

>he doesn't know how to make a roux

Do you not know what that is?

Equal parts butter to flour. Salt and pepper if desired.
Shit is simple as long as you don't burn the butter

when you live in a trailer, owning a whisk brings all the boys to your yard.

Its pretentious and queer talk

My favorite chicken gravy
>1/2 stick of butter
>throw some fresh tarragon and parsley in and let infuse in butter for a little bit
>turn up heat a bit
>add a few cups or so of whole milk
>Salt and plenty of course black pepper to taste
>turn down heat and simmer to desired thickness
I love the taste of fresh tarragon with fried poultry. Especially chicken tenders. Don't add too much though, as it has a very strong flavor that can easily dominate the dish

did you forget the part where you add flour?

that's not a roux, dumbass

I thought I typed that in
I meant to put the flour before the milk
Sorry m8e

To be fair he did say gravy and not roux.

I always make my gravy from roux
Just fucked up and didn't type the flour part of the recipe.

Didn't know you could make gravy without roux to be honest. Do you have a method for that?

to be fair he did forget to mention adding the flour to make the roux that thickened the gravy.

we all make mistakes.

Practice it then, if you think it's hard.
Not like the ingredients are expensive. Just take some time one day to make one after the other until you get it consistently right.

Asian gravies tend to not require roux for the base. At least some of my passed down family recipes.

Only roux I do is for a killer seafood gumbo, my grandfather had passed down the family line.

you could thicken it with cornflour/water mix or arrowroot/water mix or flour/water mix or a beurre manie.

To be fair, I am making amends for the mistake I have done

Oh, also, I do not live in a trailer thank you very much

>tfw commiting suduko right now
Thanks, gonna look up some recipes in the near future for this. I use so much gravy I thought I was on my way to becoming a gravy god, but you guys have opened my eyes

Too dark right now to commit sudoku. Will do first thing in the morning

Do you own a whisk? Do you know the most common uses for it? Any chance you know the mother sauces?

Otherwise, you know what you sound like, right?

I'm not American and have never had this kind of gravy, but wouldn't it be better with a bit of chicken or vegetable stock added?

Don't salt and pepper or add anything to the roux, almost anything you could add is just going to burn. Save the flavors for later

Roux is a base/thickener and you REALLY should just be cooking just flour and oil together stirring constantly until it's the desired darkness. From there add whatever you want to make your gravy, use it as the base of a stew to make gumbo, add curry powder/garam masala to make curry, whatever you want really

>frying flour in butter is pretentious
t. Flyover

>he can't make roux
>he did doesn't know the three types of roux
>he can't make the different roux based on smell alone

Uh... Don't most people use sight? You have to stand there the entire time anyway

1)fry flour in butter on low heat until you see even the most remote browning.
2)Nothing! Theres no more steps!

Useful roux needs to be way darker though

>gravy without roux

Redeye gravy, an oldtime southern standard, doesn't use a roux. Just fat, butter, coffee, and water or stock. Boy howdy, Ima tell youse sumpin', dat dar some good ettin'!

Depends on how thick or what you are thickening bechemal and chowder would use a white roux, gravys and most everything else uses blonde or regular basic roux, dark roux is for creole cooking and maybe some others it doesn't thicken as well as the others because of the starches breaking down.

>make roux
>add holy trinity
The fucking smell is so goddamn amazing
I have to make some more gumbo now

Depends entirely on what it's for.

A light roux has very high thickening ability but little flavor.

A dark roux is the opposite--very little thickening, but has a strong flavor.

You would choose which type of roux you wanted depending on the finished dish you want to make. Sometimes you need thickening, sometimes you don't. Sometimes you want that flavor from a dark roux, sometimes you don't.

fucking this!

>when r_cooking invades Veeky Forums

If you can't evem make a roux on the fly then you really don't belong on a cooking board.

Captcha really needs to ask culinary questions like "what cut of pork is this?"

>chicken gravy
>1/2 stick of gravy
>no chicken pan drippings
>no chicken stock

I can assure you, if you knew any better this would NOT be your favorite """""""""""chicken""""""""""" gravy

FUCK I am drunk and said gravy instead of butter FUCK

if you can make a sausage gravy then you already know how to make a roux
making a roux is literally the easiest thing you could ever do

buy a whisk, they're $5

>Food & Cooking
>Food

If you need a creole roux you can also throw it in the oven and fuck off for a few hours

You don't even need a fucking whisk. use good butter and flour and a goddamned fork. You have to let it cook until it thickens to a point of fear of burning and then add your other ingredients. That's my anecdote.