If you like IPAs, I don't trust your judgment

If you like IPAs, I don't trust your judgment.

Explain yourself.

I like good IPAs.
I don't see a lot of them around, though.

I don't like IPAs either OP, but there's no reason other people can't enjoy them. Are you actually this assmad or are you just trying to stir up an argument for your own amusement? Either way, you're in the wrong here.

I just like being a dickhead.

But I honestly would like to understand what one looks for in a "good" IPA. What is the difference between a good and bad IPA in someone's opinion that likes them?

I've had some IPAs but they ain't THAT special that I'd drink them over other west yurp beer. I live in one of the holy lands of good beers so I may be biased.

>What is the difference between a good and bad IPA in someone's opinion that likes them?
I like them, when they are delicious and refreshing. Which according to my palate, is most of the time. Some are too bitter. I would rather drink a nice flavorful IPA than some shitty stout tasting of yeast and wooden anchovies.

I think I like them, they usually go well with salty or savory foods, right?

IPA are fucking disgusting, get that over hopped shit outta here

Yes
Stouts generally taste like malt, chocolate and coffee. I agree anything aged in wood generally is awful though.
A good IPA will taste and smell like citrus fruits and possibly pine (yes like the tree). It should also balance the bitter flavors with a forward sweet flavor from light malts.

There are tons of variety in IPA but that's what I consider the best.

My preferred ipa is a fruit/citrus forward one with a strong malt backbone to balance out the bitterness. They're just refreshing in the summer.

I love stouts and porters.

I am not a fan of citrus in anything so I guess IPAs are just not for me. I don't lik any bitterness. I've never had a good IPA, a balanced IPA.

Try two hearted

Sounds like doodoo but if I ever find it I will try it.

>what's the difference between a good IPA and bad IPA

There isn't one. The vast majority of the taste comes from the hops, unlike basically every other beer. IPAs are the shittiest meme beer.

Also you could try a regular pale ale. Generally has the same flavor profile with less hops. They could be a good gateway for a hoppy beer that won't be incredibly bitter.

I like IPAs because I'm not a millenial who needs to make up reasons to hate popular stuff

I used to not like them but i seem to have acquired the taste

Because chewing down a mouthful of hops to satisfy someone with holes in their ears big enough to fit the bottle cap through isn't worth it. Bitter isn't better.

High alcohol content. Goes good with vodka.

Do you not drink coffee or eat dark chocolate either?

I like IPA. I don't like hoppy OJ

Some IPAs are okay and not just bitter hop bombs. I like a lot of different beer and don't only drink $12 IPAs.

>anything aged in wood generally is awful

Ale aged in rum barrels is pretty deece

What brand? I've had whiskey and bourbon barrel aged ales as well as one aged in tequila barrels. Every time they were just way too flavorful. Like drinking an entire glass of whatever barrel they came from. I guess that might be pleasurable to some people but I'm not really someone who enjoys straight spirits enough to want an entire glass of it.

I like IPAs -because- they don't tend to be overly malty. I drink almost exclusively IPAs and stouts and avoid lagers like the plague.

I really like how the tend has rolled back. It used to be "STUFF ALL THE HOPS POSSIBLE AND INCREASE THE IBU!" Now the ones who've survived the initial wave are drinkable ones with still a good amount of tasty hops, but also balanced by the malt.

they're high ABV

I literally went to my moms house and picked up an IPA and said "actually no thanks" but she insisted and it wasn't that bad, not bitter at all

I am beginning to think companies are putting "IPA" on their beers to trick people into thinking they like them

What are you even talking about? Of course a reasonable balanced drink will always be a staple but if you walk into any craft beer bar in America you can still find double IPA and imperial IPA on tap. The trend didn't disappear it just took a back seat while everyone started trying a wider variety of beers.

Yes. The trend of pushing the IBUs has "took the back seat." This is exactly what I've stated.

to me, all of them taste like soapwater except for the SN Torpedo

Yeah I guess I overreacted. I just don't agree with your third sentence that the ones that survived were lower ibu because like I said double IPA and imperial IPA varieties still exist pretty much everywhere with ibu well over 100.

IPAs are super bitter. All bitter beer is awful

>explain yourself

I like beer. Apparently you do not.

>anything aged in wood is bad
>he doesn't like whiskey
>he doesn't like scotch
>he doesn't like wine
what the fuck

I like my drinks to be as bitter as i am.

Just tried some elysian space dust IPA with extra hops. 8.2% and so delicious

Hate drinking beer but noticed recently at the champions league final I had a shandy (harp + sprite) shit was amazing and I was having fun drinking and not trying to feel self conscious about not drinking.

I've tried jack and cokes but they don't taste that well and looking for suggestions I could order at a bar next time I hang out with my friends

I like beer that has complex flavors the way I like whiskey with complex flavors. I imagine you are the type who thinks budwiser is good beer beacuse it gets you drunk and is cheap. Stick to your 5$ bottle of vodka like a cheap drunkard and I'll stick to my tasty beer.

Nah I just like beer that doesn't leave the aftertaste of a hobos anus in my mouth.

doppelbocks have complex flavors and aren't at all bitter

Budweiser is a lot better than some craft beers I've tried.

Some IPA's are good, a lot are just overly bitter and unpleasant. It's like what happened with hot sauces, people just wanted hotter and hotter things with no regard for flavor. People wanted more and more bitter IPA's with no regard for balance or the "right kind" of bitterness. There's some bitter flavors that are just bitter but taste fine, and there are some bitter flavors that make you want to retch.

I'm not a particularly big fan of IPAs, but I buy them a lot because they have a higher ABV than other beers

seems like you'd like eisbocks more

tastes good and usually has a higher alcohol content. next question.

No not overly malty, but there should be a presence. The ones with little to no malts are usually the west coast shit which are the ones that give ipas a bad name with people who are new to beer. Hell I've tried a ton of different ones and I still dislike west coast ipas. I think they're a fucking mess and are some of the most undrinkable beers around just because of how overwhelming they are.

I probably would, I've tried entry level bocks in variety beer packs, but bocks aren't really sold around me, so I just buy IPA

hoppy beer is like spicy food etc.

buy straight from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn then

Americanized IPAs use modern, American hops (Cascade, Simcoe, Citra, CTZ). These have a citrusy-piney taste that - in my opinion - should be muted, controlled, or avoided.

Older-styled IPAs with Fuggles, EKG, or even noble hops are surprisingly pleasant. Not my go-to 30C day cold quaff, but pleasant nonetheless.

>These have a citrusy-piney taste that - in my opinion - should be muted, controlled, or avoided.

Well that's just your opinion, those are my favorite notes in beer full stop.

just drink liquor m9

>Older-styled IPAs with Fuggles, EKG, or even noble hops
A good one to start with these qualities is goose island IPA. Easily found, but check the best buy date (as you should with any IPA)

Citra is amazing though.

Funny you say that, because Goose IPA is one of the harsher IPAs that I've drunk, and I'm a fan of traditional bitter ales. Their brewing style is evidently a bit too heavy-handed.

I'm happy I saw this thread because I have a question. I tend to get terrible headaches when I drink IPAs. Im wondering if there are any lagers or pilsners that have pretty high ABV content. Basically, are there beers that taste like Yuengling or Boston Lager, but are 7% or above ABV?

It was at one time in the BJCP guidelines as a commercial example of the English IPA style.

steel reserve

Yeah good choice. Stone also has some good IPAs. Personally I prefer the ones with a bit of citrus but you can go all in bitter and still have a good time. Lazy magnolia timber beast is well worth a try

American IPAs, barley wines... etc all seem to be overhopped and are definitely more on the bitter side.

I think variations that are coming out now like red ipa, black ipa, basically more malty beers to balance out the bitterness seem to be the way for the normies.

Pale ale seems best in my opinion something like ballast points grunion pale ale is really good. Or pirate life (brewery in my city) does great session ipas and pale ales.

Barley wines on the otherhand are definitely done better in the traditional English way which is far less hops than the American ones.

I definitely lean more towards doubles and triples in particular with IPAs. They have higher IBUs than a single, but are often more balanced with their malt backbone, so it's both a bigger and more complex flavor, rather than just "pine trees", or whatever. The high abv doesn't hurt, either.

I don't like a style that has been transformed into bottled grass clippings by over glorified hipsters. The best beer that is just beer is a solid no frills lager. You think different, I don't trust YOUR shit-tier judgment. Explain yourself.

I haven't had many doubles or triples with IPAs, I think they are too strong and way over the top. I like the pine tree aromas, etc. However yeah every beer company needs to tone down on that and instead focus on fruity flavours or working with the malt that they have.

Problem with IPAs is that you can make any botched patch bitter as hell, with no regards to the actual taste of the malt, yeast and everything else. I have tasted many local IPAs, that lacked in real balance and smoothness, resulting in an unpleasant drinking experience.
I just wish more breweries would start brewing wheat beers.

i know i'll sound like a prick saying this, but it really is an acquired taste. everyone i know who tries them for the first time (myself included) hates them, mostly because they taste pretty different from other beers so the taste is pretty unexpected.

as you get more exposure to them and the taste becomes less unexpected, you may come to like them. i use to go to happy hour with my coworkers and my boss would buy us some pitchers of beer, at least one would always be an IPA. i'd end up drinking one every now and then and eventually came to like them. now they are my preference by far because of their strong flavor and high ABV (compared to a lot of other beers at least)

they aren't for everyone, but yeah, it takes a little bit for them to grown on you

But do you think throwing a new drinker into the deep end and giving them a big, sweet, Belgian like Kwak could convert them? Many strong Belgian ales taste almost like alcoholic malt soda.