How do you guys make your pork ribs? I've looked at a few different recipes, but they all seem to contradictory...

How do you guys make your pork ribs? I've looked at a few different recipes, but they all seem to contradictory. I'm planning on making them tomorrow, but need a bit of guidance.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iNVgZGuaiN0
youtu.be/jN4d6CPYqts?list=PLt0rUwmLaybfgf3Vl9JOHaXpsk8h13pQY&t=611
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Grill or oven?
I usually make mine in the oven because I can't have a grill in my small apartment.
What I do is remove the membrane in the back then put a dry rub on and wrap it in plastic for a few hours but you don't have to.
Then I cover it with barbecue sauce, homemade preferably then I wrap it in foil and cook it low and slow at 200 degrees f for about 4 hours. Basting with sauce every 15-20 minutes or so. Then at the last 30 minutes remove the foil and baste again then put it back uncovered at higher heat. I usually do about 350 degrees f. This will caramelize the sugars and make it delicious.
Hope this helped.

>but they all seem to contradictory.
News Flash! There's more than one way to cook ribs.

My preferred method is to smoke them for about 2.5 hours at about 250F, then move them over direct heat to finish them.

If you are stuck using the oven: wrap the ribs tightly in foil then bake for about 2.5 hours at 250F. Then remove the foil, sauce the ribs, and finish under the broiler.

GOOOOO VEEEGAN!!!!!

May I recommend staying away from the BBQ sauce or dry rubs? There are so many other flavors that work beautifully in a brine. Also, aside from smoking them, may I also recommend a long and slow roast finished with high heat to form a nice crust?

>grill or oven
Neither. Dumbass.

Remove silverskin
Rub in some mustard
Dry rub of choice
Sous vide @165 for 18-24 hours
Put on grill / smoker with low heat (e.g. 225F) 45 minutes. I recommend oak and pecan wood.
Feel free to mop with cider vinegar / sugar mixture any time after surface is cooked.
Move to direct medium heat for 5-10 minutes
Apply sauce if you like during final grilling.
Don't let the sauce burn.
For me, mopping with with vinegar and adding more rub is preferable to sauce.

Need to go to sleep but google winterribs, turns out great

my stepmom used to boil them before we grilled them

Low boil until soft--about 2 hours-- remove. 1st sauce with mustard, bake/grill for 10-15min, add whatever sauce comes out of your ass next, bake/grill another 10-15min. Consume.
My friends father has won BBQ awards with this method.

no one fucking has time for that dumb ass shit. you can get delicious, magnificent, succulent pork without wasting 30 hours of your life

you have to slow cook them somehow first, then grill them to make them smokey and to caramalize the sauce. Im assuming you dont have a smoker. so watch matty matheson do it.

youtube.com/watch?v=iNVgZGuaiN0

the absolute easiesy way is to seal them in foil and bake them on low for like 3 hours or so. dont bother basting them, you can grill some sauce on them after if you want but its not required.

Seasoning some ribs, putting them in a bag, and letting them site in water for 24 hours takes 15 minutes of your time, dummy. It isn't wasting 30 hours of your life. It is the same god damn thing as brining poultry. Take your shit attitude back to /pol/ you fucking teenager.

I'm going outside the box here and talking about non-bbq styled ribs.

I used to do ribs all the time because they were really cheap where I am, and i'm a poorfag. Mostly it was bbq on woodfired grills, or smoked(didn't have a real smoker, so it was nigger-rigged shit). Homemade rub, homemade sauce... Anyway here's a couple suggestions.

Honey garlic, like a shitty chinese place . this works best with side ribs cut down the center so they're small. I use soy sauce, little bit of ginger (careful here), big pieces of garlic, light tasting beer, green onions chopped, honey (if you're going cheap, use some a little honey and a little brown sugar) , little bit of peanut oil. optional - small bit of pineapple. Put in a covered glass roaster for a couple hours on low, 200 ish.

My family calls this next one "greek style" though i suspect it has nothing to do with greek cooking. separate the ribs into either 1 bone or 2 bone pieces. Put them in a big bowl, add some olive oil (or whatever kind you like). Crack some pepper, add some garlic powder (or minced garlic). For spices i use rosemary, thyme, oregano, and basil. mix it up to coat them. put on a cookie sheet and bake on low, slowly raising the temp. broil a little bit right before eating.

Sous vide style 165 degrees for 12 hours, then finish in the oven til it gets a crust/bark on it to your liking. I don't have a grill to do it that way or I would, but this version comes out so damn good.

Don't listen to these fools, the only way to cook ribs is to bread hem and deep fry them like chicken. I know it sounds weird but try it and you'll never go back

Shut the fuck up faggot.

Is this a recipe or a guide to being a pretentious faggot?

>muh grill
>muh oven

mfw seeing that you idiots have not brought up a crockpot/slowcooker

your ribs probably taste like jerky dipped in catsup

you probably don't even rub your meat enough so that it releases all of its juices and becomes pliable/limp

The latter. It's one of these morons that fell for the sous vide shilling and has to justify it by using it in a totally retarded manner.

H I C K O R Y - S M O K E D

OP here, thanks for all the advice. i'll post the results when they are done. i'm just going to go with the oven method. i'll do a dry rub and then add bbq sauce at the end. i'm poor and don't have a grill or slowcooker of any sort.

>slowcooker
If you have a goodwill (or someother thrift store near you), you should go see if they have any for sale. I am a poorfag grad student and picked mine (a 6qt crock pot) up for $5.00 at the local goodwill. You can cook a lot of meals on the cheap with a slow cooker because you do not have to use "nicer" cuts of meat to get juicy, flavorful meats/meals.

Also, being in the SW this heatwave has been a bit brutal, but the slow cooker does not make the apartment hot. Just something to think about.

I hope your ribs turn out good, and your position in life improves someday.

Good luck

dont do this.
smoke em at 250 for 3 hours. wrap em tight with foil and finish for about 1.5 - 2 hours.

>ywn be a famous chef who makes ribs on YouTube and doesn't care about what or how much he eats
Why even live

microwaved 20 minutes both sides. rub with catsup.

wrap in foil, pour beer in the bottom
slow cook on the grill for two hours, remove the foil add barbeque sauce and cook another half hour
fucking heaven

For oven ribs I would recommend going low 200s until tender. Rub first. Sauce towards the end to establish bark. If you really want caramelization, sauce then crank the oven up to 325F.

some of these folks are actually talking about boiling them.
i use a fuckin smoker. nothing compares. especially a soggy ass, chopped in half slab of ribs stacked in a cooker with bottled bullshit poured in.

I wish I could use a smoker. All I have is an oven. it's still good but nothing compared to a smoker let alone a grill.

buy one of these and enjoy delicious meat for the rest of your life.

ovens are fine for ribs.
3-2-1 rule if you have 6 hours.
250 degrees. 3 hours unwrapped, 2 hours wrapped (tight seal, but loosely tented), 1 hour with sauce or extra rub for bark. i've actually found that i can adjust for tenderness since i like them to be super tender, but not falling off the bone.

those things and komados are quite nice. they're expensive, but they have a decent cooking surface size and are easy to control.

>oven at 280
>ribs rubbed with brown sugar, cut slits in the silverskin
>cover and cook for 5-6 hours
>in the meantime get a pot of 2 cups water boiling with 1/2 cup of sake, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1 inch of peeled and roughly chopped ginger and a thinly sliced leek
>simmer and reduce until very thick
>once ribs are tender turn the oven up to 350, pour out the excess grease and brush with the glaze, returning them uncovered
>caramelize for 10 minutes, repeat process 5 more times in 10 minute intervals until you get a nice thick crust

I found temperature annoying at first but I think its just a practice thing.

my housemates all went in on one and we use it every weekend pretty much.

that's awesome. who's going to end up with it?
also, what setting do you leave the damper at? about half inch open? i've only used one once and that was pretty recently.

you could try Alton Browning one.

youtu.be/jN4d6CPYqts?list=PLt0rUwmLaybfgf3Vl9JOHaXpsk8h13pQY&t=611

So, Veeky Forums, let's say I only have a grill available to me and I want to cook some pork ribs tomorrow. No smoker, no oven, just a propane grill. What would you suggest for the best results?

Well, guys. I got completely cucked by deciding to rely on advice from google and youtube. I put the ribs in wrapped in foil for 2 1/2 hours at 250, then another hour unwrapped with sauce added at 350. They weren't tender in the slightest, and my day has been completely ruined. I'm not sure if my oven is just fucked up, or if I didn't put them in nearly long enough.

heat left right and middle or front and back?

Definitely not long enough with that temperature. Do it at least 4 hours in foil and another hour uncovered.

teribly sorry to hear that. should season them and place them on a nice big sheet of foil, cook for 3 hours at 250, pull the foil up and crimp it in a tent nice and tight leaving room above the ribs for steam, pour in a little cider vinegar, cook for 2 more hours, uncover and finish with a little more seasoning + brown sugar on top for the last hour.

>who's going to end up with it?
that's a good question, we're all planning to buy large furniture items for the house (we're getting a kegerator soon) so I think maybe everyone just keeps the thing they want the most? cross that bridge when we come to it.

>what setting do you leave the damper at
I find that once its going, you can get away with the top being closed completely with the bottom open about half inch or the "1" setting.

that keeps it at about 120-150°C for literally hours and hours.

Thanks for the advice. I'm so fucking sad. I just wanted good ribs, but these were almost inedible. I felt so bad watching my gf, her grandma, and her little brother struggling to eat them. I still couldn't help but laugh though.

that's about how i ended up with it for a shoulder i did at a friend's place.

Heat is in the back all the way across with a "sear" section all the way to the right.

we made brisket the other day and got some brioche buns, it was the best thing I have ever eaten in my life.

I wish I had bought this thing 10 years ago.

I was trying to find some ribs I did in the oven with the 321 method. None on media drive.
They come out so tender that they literally break apart during cutting. That's why I'd suggest playing with the time and temperature, especially if your oven is capable of maintaining relatively low temps. Next time they will completely forgive you. Heh.
Because i BBQ once a month at least, I've invested in a pretty large pantry of spices and ground things like mustard and different varieties of peppers. It just takes practice. You'll blow your family away once you get it right and give them the BBQ bug so they'll never not want to have a plate.

This is legit.
Fuck off fags.

It's not optimal IMO. If you have the time, it's fine, but equal returns from:

Rub ribs with salt ~6 hours before smoke
Rub with spices, the ribs
Set up smoker (for hot smoke)
Smoke for 8 ounces of wood (about 45 mins)
Put ribs on rack and bake for 3-6 hours at 275 until done
Apply sauce just before serving. I suggest mustardque sauce to accompany a spicy rib rub.

This is using a Weber Smokey Mountain.
And using amazingribs.com ? z technique.
Plus a bit of my own technique.

brisket really is one of the best things in the world on a smoker. i've made a few, but one wasn't great. i'm killing it on ribs, shoulders and poultry, though.

Here we go.

Pork back ribs with a dry rub about to go on a gas grill. Thanks for no advice earlier; let's do this shit.

Pictures to come as i remember to take them. Questions answered as i remember to check this thread.

>gas
noice. i'll check this thread in 3-6 hours and see if it'a good grill you have

I wrote the sous-vide instructions above. I have to disagree that you get equal returns from only using a smoker or the smoker / oven combo. While those ribs will be fantastic, there is a difference in the moisture level and texture. With the sous-vide method, you get the moisture content that is equal that of when you wrap the ribs in foil after the 45 minutes of smoke. The problem with the foil wrap is that it effectively steams the ribs and they lose proper exterior texture. When leave the ribs unwrapped, they keep the texture but lose more moisture.

Should be done in about an hour and a half or so. These are baby back ribs, not spare ribs, so they don't need to be cooked quite as low-and-slow.

>removing the membrane

Why do people do this? The membrane gives a nice snap that contrasts well with the tender meat.

Also people overcook ribs too often. It should be fall of the bone but the meat shouldn't be falling apart.

>It should be fall of the bone
NO! The meat should separate from the bone cleanly when bitten. You should be able to hold the bone and eat the rib meat. "Fall off the bone" tender is overcooked too.

Right, my mistake. Overcooking ribs is way too common, people treat them like a roast or something.

Ribs turned out great on the gas grill. Had to put them over a bit of direct heat towards the end to finish it and bring it up to temp so the fat would melt a bit more, but overall it worked well.

Pic related is the finished ribs. I ended up saucing them under recommendation of a friend and i liked the results. I definitely think I'll be doing this a few more times before the summer is over.

Crock pot, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, and whatever you wanna do with the sauce.

I like leaving them meat-side down before I baste and get the broiler on high for a little bit so the membrane gets crispy

I think that the "fall off the bone" meme came from shitty chain restaurants that basically braised ribs in a noxious bbq sauce and left them in the oven / sauce until served were trying to cover for cooking their ribs for 8 hours because they made one batch and served from it for all of dinner service.

By making beef ribs instead

Oh fuck, I forgot the mustard on mine.

So about 10 degrees per 1/10 hour or 100 degrees per hour?