Are knife sets a meme? should i just get an expensive chef's knife or chinese cleaver instead?

are knife sets a meme? should i just get an expensive chef's knife or chinese cleaver instead?

Other urls found in this thread:

chefknivestogoforums.com/
kitchenknifeforums.com/forumdisplay.php/4-The-Kitchen-Knife
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycoalkaloid
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you spend $80 on a Chef's Knife, and $80 on a Santoku, for another $40 you can get 3 lesser knives (bread, pairing, 5" utility, something like that) and a honer, possibly some scissors. PLUS the knife block, which separately is $50 it itself.

You'd be an idiot to pass up the deal. It's seriously a bargain, even if you don't *need* it.

Do you bone a lot of chickens? If so, get a cleaver.

If you're not a butcher, though, you probably don't need one.

Yes.

>are knife sets an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means?

Are you planning on doing this autistic shit on every thread that mentions memes?

Sets are pretty crappy in my opinion.
1) You end up with sizes or styles you don't need
2) The brand selection is not optimal.

You're better off buying the individual knives you need.

>You'd be an idiot to pass up the deal. It's seriously a bargain, even if you don't *need* it.

It's not a bargain at all. The knives posted in OP are shit quality. The blade lengths are silly. The handles are poorly designed.

>Are you planning on doing this autistic shit on every thread that mentions an element of culture or a system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means?

He really should. It's actually less retarded than the people he is replying to constantly using the same meme phrase over and over again without it having any actual real world applicability.

Fuck, I might even join him, and I hope you do too.

"Chinese cleaver" isn't a cleaver you nonce
The cai dao is thin and has a rounded blade for rocking, like a chef's knife, being giant spatula for shoveling minced veg into the wok just makes it look similar in profile to a cleaver.

All you need is a chef's knife, a cleaver (if you buy large amounts of meat), and a paring knife. That is all I ever use in the kitchen.

You post on a cooking board on a Vietnamese llama sheering forum. What kind of dumbass looks for real world applicability.

by that definition, he is using meme correctly as he is imitating others using the word meme in that manner
you see

yes, unless you often cook in tandems. all you need is something that lets you slice easily (chef's knife or a chinese cleaver, I really prefer the latter, easier to hold right) and a paring knife.

any knife brand recommendations?

Global, MAC, Tojiro, Victorinox (if they're on sale), Wusthof
You'll get better advice on these forums (especially #1):
chefknivestogoforums.com/
kitchenknifeforums.com/forumdisplay.php/4-The-Kitchen-Knife

You need a pairing knife, a chef's knife, and a bread knife. The others you can live without. A boning knife is nice when you need to debone meat, but that can be done with a chefs knife or pairing knife.

All other knifes are meme knifes.

I'm finding that one good cleaver and a long serrated knife is all I need.

I'm loving this meme, this will save Veeky Forums

Nothing is a fucking meme, you dipshit. Shit is either useful or not.

You can get by with only a chef's knife, if you know how to keep it sharp. I've heard it's nice to have a heavy cleaver with a not so sharp edge that holds up better, for hacking through bone. I wouldn't know, having been vegan since I was a kid.

I'd say you don't really need a paring knife. You might need a filet knife too.

you need a paring knife if you're too stupid to buy a peeler.

I'm satisfied with my Victorinox I got for $37.50. Costs a little more now, but that's really nothing when it will last a home cook several years before it runs out of material. Cheap enough that I can use it as prying bar without sweating over it. A more expensive tool can be worse if you're afraid to use it.

What do people peel? I literally never peel anything.

You peel potatoes for mashed potatoes, you peel carrots for everything, apples from time to time. You just generally peel shit. Do you live in Albania?

>peeling potatoes

Nah, dude.

I prefer mashed potatoes with the skins left in. I stopped eating white potatoes after seeing some research indicating the toxin content makes them not worthwhile. Regular consumption of them is associated with 40% increased risk of renal cancer (400% for regular meat eating). I'd feel cheated if I were served sweet potatoes without their skins. A skinless apple is only marginally better than a soda. I don't peel carrots. I scrub them. Peeling is for elderly flyovers.

that's awesome.

no one love san francisco more than I do. They have the best yeast.

My chef brother won't touch skinless mashed potatoes because they resemble glue.

I like all the skin unless I'm baking carrots becuse the skin gets gross

>toxins
GTFO

Actual toxins, not marketing memes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycoalkaloid

I wouldn't advise the average person to stop eating non-fried potatoes, because they're probably less harmful than most other shit they'd eat in their place.