Anyone ever made baozi before? I plan to attempt it tomorrow and I see a lot of variation in recipes...

Anyone ever made baozi before? I plan to attempt it tomorrow and I see a lot of variation in recipes, for example some people stirring water into the filling to change the consistency. Looking for some tips to help them turn out good.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_KquzAxK2CU?t=3m55s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

When you make it save me one.

Fucking love em, but only a handful of places make them. Thank god I know of a tiny place that will sell me them frozen.

seems like it'll be kind of a pain but nowhere around here has them at all, the only chinese places are your typical american chinese buffet fare

Depending on regional variants.

Northern style bao zi uses fermented dough, like bread dough. Southern style use more chewy dough, unfermented, like that of a dumpling.

The trick is to twist the bao zi shut without leaving excessive dough. Takes a bit of skill to twist it shut while pinching off the excessive dough.

Not pinching the excess dough wrapping won't affect taste that much, but it will leave a giant ass lump of dough in the middle of the bao zi.

The filling is key. If you want to make bao zi with very juicy filling. There are a few ways to do it.

1. after mincing vegetables, squeeze them dry but save the juice. Mix juice into minced meat and beat it till the entire thing emulsifies. Then mix in the minced veggies. After cooking the juices will separate from the filling and filling the interior.

2. usually used in southern style shang hai soup bao zi. Which uses gelatinous meat stock, thick meat stock that's cooled then cut into little cubes and mix hat into the filling.

3. usually in hong kong bao zi, fat, lots of fat.

Go forth OP, remember to mince finely and mix extremely well. Mix the minced meat till they are basically slush like consistency. It is often taught when mixing the filling, choose one direction and stick with it. Don't go clock wise and counter clock wise alternatively.

ETSUBATSU?

Made some the other day, they were ok.

dough: flour, dried yeast 100:1 ratio; add water and mix by hand until it holds together; lay it out on a floured board; roll it into a ball and put it in a container; cover the container and wait for it to double in size

filling: mix pork mince (fatty, like 50% fat), with chopped leeks, salt, corn starch, light soy sauce, MSG

When the dough is ready, roll it on a floured board into a long cylinder and then cut pieces off, a couple of inches thick. Flatten them into discs and put in a bit of the filling. seal them by stretching the sides up and then twisting the top. There's a technique to it but I just did whatever and it worked well, probably not a big deal.

When they're all ready, steam them for 30 minutes.

With pork that fatty, you might expect a stream of oil to fall out of the baozi when biting, but it didn't happen. Possibly the work of corn starch.

forgot: ginger

is it doable with something other than pork or will it taste bad? if so then would you need to alter the recipe in any way?

I've had them made with other kinds of meat before. IMHO they don't taste as good as pork but obviously that would depend on your personal preferences.

I can't imagine it would require changing the recipe in any other way.

alright, thanks m8

Rice or all purpouse flour?

These two here are frozen
they are very large
I used a cornstarch recipe, cornstarch being the ingredient that made it seem to stand out from just another bread.
dissolved the yeast
added baking soda after the first rise, i dont think ill do it again, makes them taste weird.
they'll take some practice to fold up and make nice.
they also browned in the steamer.
For my first time, i really liked them.
i did a half bread, half all purpose four. rice four would be nice.

what in the fucking world is that shit?

what's with all that lumps of dough on top?

Bao zi means "purse", that's one ugly mother fucking one use only super market plastic bag.

Please use proper technique to close the wrappings:

youtu.be/_KquzAxK2CU?t=3m55s

no
no one has ever made it

if you're as incompetent as I am at twisting/pinching the tops closed, rolling the baozi discs thinner at the edges will help you lessen that giant hunk of dough in the center effect

It probably tastes just fine, but the outer layer should have more sheen. I'd recommend kneading your dough before fermentation. Also, these retards who keep talking about the dough being too thick are autistic as fuck. A little extra bread on the top won't be detrimental, especially since the dough cooks pretty quickly in the steam.

Wait, nwm, I just realized you prefroze those.

i like making the baked buns more than the steamed buns

I find that adding in some extra water (1/2 cup) and maybe 1/4 of a strip of gelatin at the end of the filling prep, then getting it fridge cold before stuffing gives a better consistency. Also makes it easier to make the dough shaped evenly around without getting soggy

They are also easier to make, since you don't need to do fancy pinch'n'twist sealing, you just tuck everything into a ball and place it on a baking sheet seam-down. And, you don't have to worry about having the buns dry out post-steaming.

Pic related, baked buns I made.
Would highly recommend an egg yolk wash with sesame seeds for a super nice appearance.

I was living in china for (1) years and had this little baozi place at the corner of the street where i went regularly. Shit was the best. Dude and his wife made baozi everyday and dude as well as wife where clearly poor and ugly. But I admired them for making the baozi and left tons of cash there. At the end times of my stay they even reserved a small bag of 16 baozi for me every night. I loved them because I love everybody who cooks well for me.