COFFEE THREAD

old thread: How do you like your coffee, fampai?

Other urls found in this thread:

aerobie.com/product/aeropress/
youtu.be/FPcwZsw61mQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Someone asked me yesterday what was it like to use a $2.50 pourover cone.

Feels identical to a $10 pourover cone.

i hear the guy that invented the aerobie frisbee invented "the best coffee maker ever"

I'd like to get an opinion on it here

aerobie.com/product/aeropress/

Here's a $10 melitta pourover, it won't fit over my large mugs, but the cheapo one does.

That's because they're the same design using the same filter, duh!

I really like that ceramic Melitta. It's cute

But, like, what if you used a yellow one?

Anyone have a Kalita Wave? Thinking about getting the stainless 185 for my next toy.

But only the plastic cone gives you a beneficial infusion of phytoestrogens. Don't forget to add soy milk!

How come manual grinders cost more than electric ones?

I like aeropress for when I want a single cup of coffee in the evening. Obviously it's not some miracle cup of coffee, tastes close to French press.

I have a rancilio/rocky combination like pick related. I like to have fresh coffee, so before I make espresso, I put green coffee beans in the oven for about 10 minutes. I might invest in a coffee roaster someday, but the oven works fine for now. I generally just make a latte, it's pretty rare that I make macchiatos or cappucinos. I like to use organic grassmilk because it tastes way better than regular milk.

Uh, what? The most expensive manual grinders are around $200 while automatic machines go far into the thousands

>Obviously it's not some miracle cup of coffee
I think the people that go all religious about the fucking thing just had their first cup of decent coffee from one and then attribute it to the device instead of the other variables they got in their coffeefag starter kit, like fresh beans and a proper ratio.

It's literally a tiny french press, it even works the same way, substituting a piston for pneumatic force.
I would buy one if they made a non-plastic one, because plastic leaches estrogen shit.

What's the best coffee available in a grocery store? I bought a bag of gevalia that was great but it was discontinued, now I don't know what to get instead.

Caribou Blend is alright and they usually sell enough of it that it isn't too old. Kroger's Private Selection stuff is very good and cheap, but usually stale. Peet's is the only big brand I've ever seen with a roast date on it, but the only whole bean I ever see from them in supermarkets is Major Dickason's and that is burnt garbage

Eight O'clock Coffee, preferably the dark and intense one + cheap ass $12 grinder + french press + International Delight Sweet Cream + International Delight One Touch Latte = god tier.

Gevalia is discontinued? I went to Kroger a week or two ago and tried a bag of light roast bag and liked it, ain't that a bitch.

>walmart shit beans
>walmart shit grinder
>walmart shit french press
>walmart shit flavored corn syrup "creamer"
>drinking HFCS and casein protein solids and calling it coffee

No, it was just one flavor that was really good. I forgot the name but it has a purple label on the front.

I like the sugar free sweet cream but the bottles are way too big for one (not obese) person to use by the fresh date

Vietnamese beans, double shot latte. Or long black, depending on mood. Melbourne is fucking great for coffee.

Any fellow coffee-loving anons like to order online? Where to begin? What's a good quality online coffee roaster that doesn't break the bank? I hear good things about Costa Rica Honey Process, is there a good place that sells that?

Great question! I'm so glad someone asked. I also wondered if other user's bought coffee beans online. A lot of connoisseurs were recommending HappyMug.com

I was skeptical at first. The prices were so low compared to more established places, but then I did more research. It soon became evident that with their direct-to-consumer model, with word of mouth advertising and no fancy "web 3.0 web design" (who needs that? LMAO!) they were able to keep costs down and pass the savings to you, the consumer! I mean us, the consumers! I am definitely just a satisfied customer!

Anyway I tried a bag of their Costa Rica Honey Process which sounded great and tasted even greater. I was hooked!

You should update your ironic meme shill post. They just redid their website

>HappyMug.com
I had very bad experience with them.
Coffee was shitty stale, and customer service was very arrogant. I will never again buy from them. Fucking ripoff artists.

how is that possible when the plastic they use doesn't contain the chemical people mistake for estrogen which actually is a completely different chemical the safety of which has been completely blown out of proportion by US media?

okay so this is a pretty embarrassingly retarded post, i have a local grocery store that sells their own brand of beans, i would be better buying those and grinding them with a grinder myself rather than just buying pre ground folgers tier shit right? i know nothing

Just passed my weekly kidney stone.
Hows it going for you guys?

It really depends.
You might luck out with decent quality unmarked stuff, or it might just be completely dried out stale garbage like everything trader joes sells.

Don't cheap out on whole bean and the likelihood of buying shit goes down.

Do you mean the danger of which is blown out of proportion?
It can't hurt too much to try some weird whole bean

I'm nice and hydrated. You should try it.

If a lot of people buy it, it's probably fresh. Ask a clerk how often they stock it. Either way, it would be very hard for even a stale bean, ground right before brewing, to be worse than Folgers.

What's your method? I just got one of these myself.
I used it twice so far, using this guide
youtu.be/FPcwZsw61mQ
The coffee is great, but I feel like it can be better. I'm using those Mexican beans from Amazon that someone else recommended a few threads ago.

Why people drink coffee when tea is superior is every single meaningful way? It's healthier as well.

because it tastes better

Sorry sweetie but some plastics are actually made with endocrine disrupters, Bispenol A being the most notorious

>I'm using those Mexican beans from Amazon that someone else recommended a few threads ago.
Was it shipped from them or Amazon? What grinder/grind? Ratio? Water temp?

In your video, that's the pulse method (pour, drain, pour, drain, etc.). You lose heat in the grounds that way, which why some people don't like it. You can also try a steady pour.

There a couple problems I see with their technique, such as starting the pours on the edges. That water, especially at the beginning, is running right down the side past all the coffee. Pour along the edges to get that stuck stuff off when there is water in there, at least. The straight pouring in the center until they get up to their weight is also dumb. Keep your circles going to agitate everything all the time.

Also, you'll never get any new device right in two tries. More like two weeks

PSA: Dollar Tree sells coffee filter holders for one dollar!

Even the food companies that hire people to create stupid meme posts for twitter are better at shilling than this.

I like pic related. It's like >$8 a pound on amazon and it gets the job done.

Beans were shipped from them. They are very fresh, the bloom is huge. Grinded with a Hario Mini Mill set to 8 clicks from closed which is medium fine I think?
1:16 ratio. Water temp I have no clue. I only have a generic electric kettle. I boil the water, and then start the process shown in the video, beginning with the preheating, so the water is cooler by the time I'm finished around 2 min later. I'm not sure how to keep it consistent. I guess a steady pour would be better in that regard? So for that I just pour all of the water in one pour, in circles?

>I'm not sure how to keep it consistent
Take notes
>So for that I just pour all of the water in one pour, in circles?
Yea, spiraling in and out

What's the coffee taste like?

I like coffee but it gives me the shits.

How do I overcome my handicap?

Shit before you drink it

>take notes
I was actually talking about the water temperature, but I guess that really could only a problem with the pulse pour method.

>Yea, spiraling in and out
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

>What's the coffee taste like?
Not sure I have the proper vocabulary to accurately describe what exactly I'm tasting. I'm not getting any of the notes listed on the bag (brown sugar, cashew, pear), except maybe brown sugar, slightly. That's what I was hoping to be intensify with a better method.
I can say it's not unpleasant at all to drink, very smooth, no acidity at all. It's more than just "eh," at least in my opinion.

Well, the biggest way to change the taste in pourover is the grind. So try 7 clicks and then 9 and see which direction is better, finer or coarser. Just keep all of your other variables the same. Only ever change one variable at a time

The biggest thing to remember is:

bitter = over-extracted = grind is too fine
sour = under-extracted = grind is too coarse

Okay, I'll give that a try too, thanks.

>sour = under-extracted = grind is too coarse
that's not completely true is it?

Yea, usually, but basically always with pour over. Now, your grind could be perfect but your water temp could be too low or it didn't have enough contact time with the grounds. Those could also result in under-extraction.

The first part about the taste is universal, though
bitter = over-extracted
sour = under-extracted

Here

Check for freshness by finding out the roast date, which should be on the bag or on the sign on the bin (if they happen to be loose beans). Typically beans should be used and purchased between 3-10 days after they're roasted. Of course you can buy them freshly roasted and wait a few days, but if the beans are more than 10 days old, they're stale. Coffee beans release gas after being roasted, which is why that 3-10 day critical period is there. Old beans aren't useless though, they can be used for cold brew, which is what most businesses do with them. Can't make a decent hot cup of coffee with them though.

Not them, but thanks for this

Am I a pleb?

>100% Golden Roasted

Literally what did they mean by this?

doesn't account for temperature

True, but that should be one if the easiest variables to control and shouldn't really be tinkered with. Try to get around 200°F and leave that be until you know what you're doing.

I wanna stick my penis in that catboys mouth and give him a shot of steamed cream

What's your favorite cup to drink coffee from? I just ordered this one, am hyped for it arriving.

I switched over to making inappropriate t-shirts.

I considered getting it on a tshirt too, but having it on both a cup and a tshirt would be weird to me.

In Costa Rica, we use a "chorreador".
You put the coffee directly in the bag, without the paper filter .
After it's done you wash the bag and let it dry.

CoffeeSock

I feel like these things are designed as a cruel joke and the high profit margins are just the icing on the cake.

wtf i thought butter in coffee was a meme
this is a legit thing that people do

>people add cream
>butter is just condensed, churned cream
i don't get the issue.

why not add cheese then huh? all the same right?

You'd be fine with having cream on a slice bread as well then? Whipped maybe?
Or instead of mayo on a sandwich you could just have some oil and raw egg.
And instead of salt you could have a lump of sodium and a cloud of chlorine gas.
It's the same after all.

I put cream on bread

fiteme

I don't know if I could beat you in a fight but I get the impression I could definitely outrun you.

"Bulletproof" coffee is the meme. Butter in coffee is bretty gud

>bulletproof coffee is an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means.
It certainly is, why would you need to post such an obvious statement?

Hi newfriend

Don't be embarrassed, just order from HappyMug.com. With their easy ordering process and $3 flat-rate delivery to all 50 states, who needs all these confusing choices at the grocery store, when you can have fresh coffee sent direct to your door for less money than it would cost from these cool hipster coffee roasters with their social justice baristas wearing the cutting-edge new "glasses" to prove to everyone how virtuous they are.

HappyMug.com, now with no icky social interaction with roasties or SJWs required.

>mods delete coffee frog
>don't delete shill post

ayy

Some people have mentioned happy mug shilling, but all I've ever seen is this ironic shitposter. I guess that actually does make him the shill.

like all meme coffee devices, i assume it doesn't taste much different than regular drip/pour over

who else here /chemex/ masterrace?

clotted cream is a common topping for a scone or english muffin

Soon

just FYI, a lot of those electric ones with the spinning blades are cheap spice grinders/blender type things that give a very uneven grade of grounds. you're "supposed" to use a burr grinder for a more consistent particle size. most of the manual grinders are probably burr grinders, but the electric ones you're looking at likely are not. manual burr grinders are definitely cheaper than electric burr grinders

I just want to say if you add literally anything to your coffee you are a turbo pleb

chemex to suck eggs
v60 to get that pussy

Most people have never had an actual good cup of coffee which is why they have to add cream and sugar. If I'm served diner or office tier swill, I add cream too

where my /coldbrew/ niggas at

Cold Brew is pretty handy. I cold brew with a big glass jar and save it for when I'm in a rush and need coffee.

I just want to say that if you add water to your coffee and aren't just snorting the grounds then you are a turbo pleb

just came here to ask for tips on my first time doing cold brew. summer is already too fucking unbearable to be drinking hot coffee

Trying to figure out the best way make it. Flavored grounds always sounds like a good idea, but keeps turning out like shit

Shitty in what way? We need to know the problem better to offer real advice.

the problem is that he's using flavored grounds

Yeah I'm kinda inclined to agree. It just tastes like garbage. Regular grounds taste great so I figured I'd try flavored.

Cream is for fags
If you can't handle the noxious taste of a real man's drink just stick to tea, pussies

>implying tea tastes good at all

Pretty good. Great for solid and quick coffee, if you live in a small space/desk/don't have a lot of time for prep. 6/10 flavor

k-kawaii desu ne

Well you go ahead and be a pleb. Then you buy a pleb brand of pleb coffee. Try lavazza or moccona