Breading

Do you have any breading tips? Some common things I hear are
>make sure to pat dry before breading
>put hot sauce in the egg mix
>sift the flour
>put a dash of bourbon in the egg

crushed cheetos or doritos

Drip some of the egg mixture into the flour, and whisk in order to create nuggets of flour. It'll create a thicker, fast food style crust.

Use panko, no other type.

always cheap vodka, never water.
use copious potato starch.
westernpanko is a meme, grate frozen bread.

the best tip I got is to really press the flour onto the chicken. it should look all cracked like a buried cat turd when you put it in.

Use those instant mashed potato flakes with some flour and seasoning salt and cayenne

If you're doing it with breadcrumbs, do it in the following order:

Flour THEN egg wash THEN breadcrumbs

if you're doing it with breadcrumbs you're doing it wrong

Always use breadcrumbs mate, just don't by shitty breadcrumbs. And try to make sure the breading is loose. If it sticks to the meat you are doing it painfully wrong.

everything in your post is wrong

I dunno, thats the standart Schnitzel breading process. Flour, Egg, Breadcrumbs, drown it into a pan with a shit ton of clarified butter instantly after breading. Get your breadcrumbs from a bakery and you are safe. This is how it is done in Restaurants in Germany, from the North Sea to the Alps.

Maybe there is more than one way of doing things?

use crunched up cornflakes

I do flour -> egg -> panko (with my usual friend chicken seasoning) or crackers if I don't have panko.

its called a pane faggots

>I dunno, thats the standart Schnitzel breading process

It's not limited to Schnitzel. That's the standard breading process for anything. Crack open any textbook from cooking school and look up "standard breading". It's always flour, egg wash, then breadcrumbs.

You might find some minor variations like adding seasoning to the flour or the egg, or subbing other crunchy breading for the breadcrumbs (like panko, crushed crackers, chips, or cereal) but the basic procedure of flour, egg wash, breadcrumbs is universal.

>>make sure to pat dry before breading
That's really only a concern if you marinaded the meat beforehand. The first step in breading--the flour--takes care of this.

>>put hot sauce in the egg mix
>>put a dash of bourbon in the egg
That's intended to add flavor to the breading. You could also add seasoning to the flour. Personally I don't like doing this because in my experience very little of this flavor makes it into the finished food, but it does a fucking great job of flavoring the oil. I'd rather avoid that so I can re-use the oil for other dishes without everything tasting the same. If you want to add flavor to your food a better way would be to use a marinade before applying the breading, providing a sauce for dipping, or applying a dry seasoning AFTER frying. That gets more flavor into your food and less into the oil.

>>sift the flour
That's commonly suggested for making batter so you don't have lumps. It doesn't matter for dipping food into dry flour as a step in breading.

schnitzel isn't fried chicken. how many fried chicken restaurants use breadcrumbs? none, because it's wrong.

op asked about breading in general, not about breading fried chicken

put soda in egg
coating will be weird

you don't use breadcrumbs for fried shrimp or fried steak or pretty much anything good that's fried.

>fried steak
>good
i guess if you expand to cutlets, but there breadcrumbs are a necessity unless you're going full wew lad with tenkasu

>fried shrimp
>pic related is a bad thing
not that i don't like a beer batter too, but there's definitely a place for them

i guess this might be a culinary traditions thing though? "italian" "bread" "crumbs" as sold in america are some sorry-ass shit and i can totally understand loathing those

>don't use bread crumbs for fried shrimp

You nutz, boy. That's one of the few things I use bread crumbs for and they beat the shit out of flour breadings. I do grind my own homemade dried bread for it, so that's probably the difference.

Wait, are you telling me that not everyone makes their own breadcrumbs from stale bread? It's not even hard, why would you buy them from a store?

they're a pain in the ass to do in small batches, rarely used in large amounts at once, and usually unspecifiedly "spiced" which is something that requires a bunch of experimenting or some good kitchen sense to replicate. and the homemade ones rapidly get as nasty as the storebought if you try to store them in the same way. so it ends up an effort and practice thing, like "why would anyone pay $1.50 for a can of chicken broth when you literally get chicken carcasses as leftovers and just have to season and boil them".

there is no excuse for american panko and its pricing, though. other than the ~inscrutable oriental secrets~ meme.

Any tips for shallow frying chicken? Should I heavily season the flour or season the chicken then put it in unseasoned flour? I have the chicken marinating in some buttermilk right now.

fried steak does not have breadcrumbs

It's like cooking steak, user.

Everything is just a matter of practice. The more you do it, the better you get. Just find a way that works for you. It doesn't take that much before you get really good.

where are the breadcrumbs?

eh I usually do half panko half ground up crackers.

>and the homemade ones rapidly get as nasty as the storebought if you try to store them in the same way.

Wat? You store them in a freezer bag in the freezer. And as far as small batches, that's bullshit. What, do you have a 1 cup food processor? Your post is nonsense. Go buy some preprocessed chemical laden shit called "breadcrumbs" and feel smug because you didn't make your own, faggot. After all, someone might accuse you of being a hipster.