Pho

How much of a meme is this dish Veeky Forums?

Fuck you

I got the noodles. I am going to try it at home, never had it out before. So maybe I'll ruin it for myself. Idc though, because Vietnam sucks.

>how much of an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means s this dish?

if you want Viet food
try Bun Bo first

Really don't care for it... The "licorice" like flavor really sucks. Leave out all their bullshit herbs and it would probably be pretty good

I've never had it and I don't know much about it, but it looks like a fairly generic Asian style soup with noodles, meat, and fresh vegetables so I don't see how that's a meme.

>meat and noodle soup
>meme

next you'll be telling me that bread is meme cuisine

It's a meme for me because every time I order Pho, I get the runs.

Different joints, different pho, and no other Vietnamese food makes it happen.

That's not how a meme works. It just means you have a weak ass stomach.

why does this Asian dish have jalapenos in it?

I believe it's traditionally Serrano but it usually is jalapeños in America.

Idk about "meme" since you millennials have destroyed any meaning it once had, but it's quite bland and boring compared to Ramen. Strange too, since there are a number of flavorful and spicy Vietnamese dishes.

Pho is good when you can get offal in it. You want to get stringly, tons of random offal meat and stuff that is easy to consume and chew.

I've had good pho, and shitty pho. You want pho to feature stringy, delicious offal. Trust me. That will change your views on pho. You don't want big chewy pieces of beef, which ruins it. You want to be able to slurp it a bit, which is enhanced drastically when you have the chance to add offal. I think that's what it's called. Pig/beef guts.

sorry, I meant specifically beef tendon and beef tripe. I think that's what it called.

>you millennials

Millenials are described as being 35 or younger as of now so if you're implying you're over 35, then fuck off gramps. You got golf tomorrow.

get this stuff in your pho. after I had that I've really stopped enjoying pho that doesn't have it.

Word to the motherfuckin street yo. Bun bo hue is my jimmy jam famalam.

Tripe?

bun bo is great, but the thing i hate about it is that it fucking stains my chopsticks and it takes a long ass time to rinse it off

Are those cat tongues?

Why not just use a fork?

Yes.

I think you meant to say phock you

its a supreme meme

So all food is memes?

>"Licorice flavor"

This really kills it for me too. The first time I got it I thought it must have been a mistake or something.

literally the hangover cure. i fucking love this bowl.

Pho is fine.
Carryout pho is not

posting the same thing in a few different threads, eh bitchboy? And again, your expanded definition of meme still doesn't actually rebuke the poster you're replying to in the way I assume you're intending.

I only want a LITTLE BIT of it. But whenever i order it, even a combo with four normal types of beef and tripe, i always get a huge fucking tangled pile of it sitting in a puddle of broth. It fucking sucks senpai.

Learn how to make it yourself, the flavor is much better

Restaurant pho takes a lot of shortcuts that mimic the flavor of pho.

Phorittos

>'licorice'
>Palette literally never experienced Star Anise before
>Posts to food/cooking board

pho is honestly pretty shit. they season the broth with spicy (spice spicy not hot spicy) fruit and traditionally fill it with tripe. It's largely only suitable for asians, and hipsters who fawn over asian food because it's exotic.

ramen is categorically the superior of the two, which is why ramen is slowly becoming a staple dish world-wide, while pho is resignated to Vietnamese restaurants.

>The seeds, whole or ground, are used for preparation of teas and tisanes (alone or in combination with other aromatic herbs), as well as in a wide variety of regional and ethnic confectioneries, including black jelly beans

>including black jelly beans

star anise is literally used as a licorice substitute in cheap foods because it's cheaper. they taste the same

stop saying 'meme', you sound like a dumb cunt.

>leave out all their bullshit herbs

lol check this whiteboi

You know those big metal birds that are always flying over your hovel? Follow one in your pappy's pickup and it'll take you to a city where you can experience some culture for once.

memey, hipstery, but honestly I'd eat one

McDonalds uncultured suburban Amerifat detected.

Holy shit, you are so fucking wrong it hurts. Look up a pho recipe to make it from scratch. Really good pho takes 24 hours to make because it's all about the broth. Combined with fresh rice noodles, protein, and loads of fresh vegetables, the dish is dank as fuck, packed full of flavors.

I've made it from scratch at least a dozen times, and I can assure you that recreating restaurant quality pho is no easy task. It is a lot of work to get it right.
Next time you are in a major city like L.A., eat at one of the most popular Pho places you can find on Yelp or whatever, it will change your life.

>memey, hipstery

If it tastes good, who gives a shit. If anyone refuses food because it looks "memey or hipstery", they need to kill themselves. How much of a miserable faggot do you have to be?

>Never having had quality licorice to distinguish from the cheap anise licorice.

Thats all Ive got user.

I think you're confusing "difficult" with "time consuming".

I've made pho from scratch many times. It might be a lot of work to spend a long time preparing the broth, but none of it is difficult or requires a high degree of skill.

It's star anise you fucking plebs

>It's star anise you fucking plebs

Yes. We know. But it tastes like licorice....because the overwhelming majority of licorice isn't made just from licorice root, but also contains anise. It makes perfect sense to say that star anise has a licorice-like flavor for that reason.

pho is better after your first time i think, since i went in expecting something more akin to ramen, but its more focused on subtlety.

It takes 6+ hours. For your first experience of it, I recommend going to an actual resturant.

Holy shit do you have no taste

It would be a mediocre broth if you took away all the things that made it pho. Why not just go buy some store ramen?

these are fucking garbage. Vietnam already has the best sandwich in the world outside of the cubano, why would I want one of these overly involved dry pieces of shit?
>let's just chuck a whole fuckfull of rice in the middle
>ding dong chong hehe! HYBRID CUISINE! that'll be $13.50!

there is some bad pho out there, but there's at least six hole in the wall joints in my town serving up the good stuff. all of them make their broth a little differently - when i make it at home i put a beef foot in for muh collagen.

add all the herbs. get tendon.

ultimate hangover cure, breakfast, good pick-me-up. its comfort food, not "trendy" or a "meme"

That's the actual definition of meme, so technically all traditional dishes are memes. But in the way op meant, it depends on where you live. I have a pho place near me but no one really talks about pho. So I'd say its not super meme.

I've found that I prefer spots that do Chinese noodle soups much more

Although Viet sour soup (Canh Chua) is dank. Bun Bo Hue is another favourite but it's already been mentioned.

If pho was ever a meme it was like 5-10 years ago

There's a pho place in my city that's been open for like 30 years, and it is dank/lit

No where in my post did I say it was difficult, I said it "takes 24 hours", "takes a lot of work to get it right" i.e. pre charring the ginger and onion, soaking the bones for hours before cooking, broiling the bones before cooking, pre boiling the bones to remove the scum from the stock, prepping all the ingredients.

Can you even read or analyse abstract thoughts?

fun fact, Asia did not have any chillies until the 16th century. I associate certain ones with Asian food too, but the truth is that they're all from mexico.

I'll trade you for a sushitto

Holy crap thats utter nonsense. A good pho is a broth made from meaty bones, and not you box broth found in markets. A good pho has more nutrients that are easily absorbed by the body than 1000 packs of ramen could ever give you. Ramen has not nutritional value, if anything its in the negative.

what the pho?!

Bahn Mi > Pho
Yes I know Bahn Mi literally just means bread, but I always see it refer specifically to Vietnamese baguette sandwiches.

U got shit taste

FYI Its all about the quality of the chicken broth.

It's not chicken

I made some homemade ones the other night. So good!

instead of buying them from the local deli that has for them $9 a pop we bought all the ingredients for $15 and made 4 of them.

never been a big fan of light broth noodle soups, and rice noodles taste like ass.

it is if you've never had it before and don't know what the hell you're doing =-D

Everything is a meme accordign to Veeky Forums standards.

so hungover. literally all i want is this

Banh Mi is just mean Bread in Vietnamese

if you want to order a sandwich in Vietnam you have to add thing behind "Banh Mi"
like Banh Mi Trung is egg sandwich

Banh Mi Pate is pate sandwich

also tips about Vietnamese Banh Mi

Haiphong have the best Pâté sandwich

Nhatrang made the best bread

Saigon is all you can eat style

I'd recommend something like fatty brisket to people that don't want to eat tripe. Or maybe pork belly. Fatty, soft meat.

IDK about pho Restaurant in America
but you can order beef tendon in Vietnam

You can get that in most Pho restaurants in the USA. Every one I've ever visited has tendon on the menu.

cool, beef tendon pho is really good

wtf does that question even mean? some of you guys use the word "meme" for everything so much so that it lost any tangible meaning. ask a real question.

pho cough

>millenials
>i hate this gosh darn yung'n generashun with their new fangled words and such
>ruinin' the good ol' words
>like "meme"
>ain't there nothin' sacred anymore?

If millennials had just evolved or modified the meaning I'd have no complaint. You have rendered it meaningless so that you might as well say, "is x a yant?"

its not a meme its one of the worlds great foods and people who say it sucks or its overrated don't know shit about food and should literally commit suicide in real life.

I still lime pho's but my main choice where i go is bun thit noung

Hell yeah this is great stuff done right its almost like a real sort of taco salad

Ever try Hanoi style Bun Thi Nuong
called Bun Cha

What's a meme dish?

Kys you uncultured swine

Tendon isn't offal I don't think. But I agree.. I like brisket tendon and tripe.

Some nice chewy stuff.

I still like the raw beef too though.

>hipster ramen is more hipster than hipster pho

I'm not sure what level of irony I should be on now.

Were your chopsticks folded over 1000 times by an ancient master and quenched in the blood of a dragon?

No?

Then use wooden chopsticks. Faggot.

>not having enough brainpower to enjoy both

The anise makes it completely disgusting, honestly.

i bet it even comes from a food truck
And one that doesn't take credit at that