Chilies

okay, ive got a Carolina reaper plant and a trinidad moruga scorpion plant

would any sane man actually cook with it? if so, what would be good to use it in?

Other urls found in this thread:

fatalii.net/candied_peppers.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Make candies for next Halloween.

no. u dun goof'd

Chili. Jerk chicken. Piri-piri. Chili jam. Homemade hot sauce (vinegar based or fermented)

i have a dehydrator, but just straight powder is a little boring? dry rub maybe?
i think hotsauce would be fun.

Eating anything passed habenero is all heat and no flavor.

is this really true though? people absolutely praise hotter chillies

i will still enjoy growing them, so not really a big goof

What type of moron buys something without any clue how to use it ?

Iv used them loads.
Just dont stick more than one in anything unless you want it to be a challenge to eat.
Use it wherever you would normally use chillies. Eg, I make Chilli Con Carne with 1 scorpion for heat and 4 Jalapeno for flavour.
If you grow a load of them then id 100% make some hot sauce of your own.

hth user

i just like growing chilies dude, they are pretty and fun to watch fruit.

just wanted to hear if i could actually cook with them or if i should just use them for novelty

>>is this really true though?
It depends entirely on the tolerance of the person eating the chili. If your heat tolerance is relatively low then the heat from a super hot pepper would easily dominate whatever flavor it has. OTOH if you're used to eating hot peppers then the heat may not dominate and you can taste the other flavors of the pepper. It all comes down to heat tolerance. Though what said is probably true for most people. I love cooking with hot peppers and in my experience habaneros are pushing the limits for most people. But get someone from India, Mexico, Thailand, Sichunan province in China, or a chili-head and things are different.

>>people absolutely praise hotter chillies
They do. But keep in mind that a lot of that "praise" is thinly veiled fratboy-style pissing contest bullshit about who can eat the hottest pepper.

Be careful growing them near more milder varieties. It's easy for them to cross pollinate with other varieties and you expect a jalapeno but get scorpion pepper heat.

Mainly chili dishes and salsa. Unless you have a way to cook them outside your gonna basically be pepper spaying yourself.

thanks! i´ll keep this in mind, would having a carolina reaper and a scorpion in the same enclosure be a problem?

I don't know. Those are both so hot I don't think I'd be able to tell if they did cross. The hottest I grow are habaneros.

>t. someone who's eaten only extracts

The flavor compounds in whole chilis make for complex flavors, even with all the capsaicin. Skill and moderation is key.

Heat for heat's sake is asinine.

It should compliment or facilitate flavour, not be the end in itself.

Uncle's a Mexican who processes whole chiles into salsas. Had a bhut jolokia salsa and it tasted like spicy water. His milder chiles have much better flavor/spice ratio.

I have a question for fellow chili-heads then: Why do we eat incredibly hot things? I see it as a challenge, I get some sort of satisfaction for eating something that brings literal pain to me in an "Top of the mountain" achievement.

Also, favorite pepper hotter than habenero?

>grind into flakes
>pack a bong
>pull the entire thing
>livestream for our entertainment

c'mon don't go being a little bitch about it

Just use it to flavor a big batch of something spicy like chili.

endorphin high

Flavor, any reason other than that is dick waving bullshit.

You know people use chili extracts for easily spicing a dish, right? Superhots and extracts aren't just used for UBERHOT challenge spicy dishes. In fact, one superhot, known as a 7-pot chili, gets it name because it was said to have been used to spice 7 pots of stew

I manage to get through one or two scorpions on some weeks without my food ever getting uncomfortably hot. I use them in chilis, curries, home made hot sauce, harissa and finely minced on roasted vegetables.
I only eat them because I have a plant though. I would prefer not to use anything hotter than Chocolate Habanero to actually taste the pepper without ruining the dish.
I think scorpions are one of the prettiest peppers so I'm not getting rid of my plant any time soon.

Not true.
Jolokia and scorpion chilies have a distinct flavor that is quite different from habanero...not as "fruity" with a slightly fermented almost nutty... like a hard cheese.

OP will soon realize however that his "carolina reaper" plant is a highly unstable hybrid which may or may not be hot...and may not even yield reapers.

Not true. While they will cross...the plants will yield fruits true to their specific variety. A scotch bonnet will be a scotch bonnet... bhut jolokia a bhut jolokia. However the seeds from that fruit...will be crossed and the plants grown the next season will be a hybrid. What exactly may not he clear.

I learned the hard way by growing jalapenos next to thai peppers and the jalapenos (5000 scoville) were as hot as the thai peppers (100,000 scoville) so I don't think that's accurate. I'd like to hear an explanation for why that happened and no it wasn't "in my mind" because I'm very familiar with the expected heat from both those peppers.

i've heard that apart from how hot it is the carolina reaper is actually really fucking tasty, unlike other superhots

It is nice and fruity but you can only tell for a few seconds before you start focusing more on the fact that it feels like you are having a stroke while drinking lava and headbutting a wasps nest.
Many other superhots have a metallic flavour and not much sweetness or perfume.

Its science.
Read a book.

Chilies vary. You had a hot strain of jalapeno with a mild strain of thai. That is your explaination.

fatalii.net/candied_peppers.pdf

>take whole chilies
>place in cast iron skillet
>broil on high for 10 minutes
>take massive whiff as soon as you open the oven door

Anyone who toasts their chilies knows this is a much more vicious fate

Both are habanero-esque, although both have more of a green thai-chili nastiness about them and are much hotter. Basically sub out for, or use alongside habaneros to increase heat.

Spice is a part of the experience, like texture, temperature, and flavour. Occasionally, the most appropriate level is way over the top, paired with something soothing, and usually alcohol. The endorphin crush on something like that can be akin to the afterglow of particularly rough, safe-word necessitating sex.

>broil on high for 10 mins

that's some spicy charcoal you've got there.

But, yeah, don't aspirate aerosolized capsaicin. It hurts.

And if you must heat these peppers, turn on the range fan. Boiling in vinegar will result in the air of your kitchen being spontaneously replaced by bear mace.

I have the 100% pain sauce since a few days.
One of the best ways of using it, is applying one drop per big piece of meat to the top of the cut while grilling, then spreading it a bit.

Leads to a taste very similar to tabasco with a slow burn that keeps going well after eating, but never makes you gasp for a drink after every bite.

Bro makes chili salt, just puree (or grind) the chilies, then add salt till you get the heat you want. It can be wet or dry depending on what you want from it.

Is cooking with these ultra hot peppers really any different than just adding some pure capsaicin?

Depends on your heat tolerance.
If you find habaneros to be inedible then you'd find those inedible as well.

If your heat tolerance is higher then those peppers do have some excellent flavor.