Homemade pizza

I'm making my monthly attempt at perfection again so let's see ehat happens. Last time I felt my crust was to bready so I cut down the amount of sourdough starter. I made the dough at 6AM and it's been rising all day. Let's see what happens.

Pic is the ingredients.

Where's the pineapple?

Pizza made and ready to go onto a cast iron preheated griddle for an hour @550F.

Just got it out of the oven. Grated parmegianno and some fresh basil. Resting it a bit then we'll look at the crumb.

Looks good OP

Forgot pic like the drunk bastard I am.

Muh, I'd like to get less uniform air pockets but it still tastes good and has a nice crispiness.

An hour? One hour? Sixty minutes?

The cast iron was preheated for an hour.

That makes more sense. Congratulations on your tasty pizza.

It still appears to be a bit bready and with slightly too much topping for my taste, but looks delicious anyway though. Nice job!

OP here. Yeah it was a bit bready but i did have a better texture than when I've used more starter because after an inititial crunch it had a bit of a chewy texture. I think next time I'll do the same dough but after a 4-6 hour rise I'll throw it in the refrigerator to rise more slowly until the next evening.

what was your baker's ratio for the dough?

I wasn't using a scale which is stupid since I do that for my sourdoughs, but I used 1 cup water to 1.75 cups "00" flour with .25 cups of a 75% hydration starter. 1 tsp of EVOO and .5 tsp salt kneaded for 8 minutes.

I think more hydration would help.

i agree with this person. i asked about the ratio - next time use a scale and maybe bump up the water by 5-7% and see how that works!

Thanks. Will try that. Next month I'll give it another whirl.

post when do you, let us know the results!

use 2 pizza stones instead of cast iron. cook halfway on the first, then move to the other to finish

thank me later

Way too much fucking bread. Also your choice of toppings are garbage. Mushrooms? Really? That texture on pizza is just disgusting.

Why do you have to get so mad over OC.
Just leave.

Mushrooms are great on pizza piss off

Interesting, I've not heard of that. I've broken the last 3 stones I've had so that's why I got the cast iron. Even I can't break it.

OP here. The toppings aren't really important to me as that's just whatever suits your fancy. We like those toppings so that's what's there. I'm trying to get what I would consider the perfect sourdough crust, thin with irregular sized air pockets.

>Mushrooms? Really? That texture on pizza is just disgusting.
Have you only had canned mushrooms on pizza? They're soggy and chewy but fresh mushrooms are great.

Hi OP, I'm just a hobbyist cooker but I really like to challenge myself and perfect my skills too.

>monthly attempt
Thats the problem. Last year I tried to get into baking and baking >>>>>> cooking but I got 20 pounds and gave up on learning. Sorry, no matter how fun it is, I don't want to get fat as I learn. Also practice it every week at least or dont even try. Monthly attempt is too infrequent to get you anywhere.

Well, I'm trying to improve my coffee making skills since a cup is only 9 kcals.

Well, I really only want to eat pizza about once a month so I'm kind of stuck with that. I bake bread at least weekly, so my starter stays active, but more than once a month for pizza would be too much for me. Maybe It's a futile endeavor, but even if I never reach my ideal it's fun trying and the pizza hasn't yet been a complete wreck.

mine is better

>but I got 20 pounds and gave up on learning.

You know you don't have to eat what you make, right? Give it away to family and friends. Or just chalk it up to the cost of learning.

Good for you. I would eat pizza every week if I could afford the calories. I remember my baking days playing with sourdough (took me 1 year to get it right) and baking croissants in a river of melted butter. If you want reading material get Professional Baking + Salt, Flour and Water. Also you must keep notes to remember what to try next.

Today I'm focusing on vegetarian dishes and low cal beverages (tea, infusions and coffee) and something that I remember doing wrong in my baking days is being more interested in the final product (flour is too delicious) than in the learning process. Today I try to be more professional and remember to focus on keeping notes and doing research so my practical time is more structured. Keeping notes is very important so do it even when you don't want to do.

Do you dream about getting a wood oven? One question I still have is if it is possible to get a really good pizza without wood oven. The crumb will never look as good as it could be. And it probably won't taste as good since you have less mailard products.
My last exam is today and a food chemistry textbook is already in my face waiting for tomorrow. I plan to do some basic review about food chemistry, food biochem, then next week start the introduction for my conclusion paper (probably about coffee volatiles) and at the same time try to improve my basic techniques like roasting and stocking.

I'm trying to make my mom lose weight since she's sedentary and always complaining about her weight. Bad idea. Already tried giving away some sweets in college but for some reason people won't take it. You need to put at least a small price so people wont suspect. For that you need some logistics and I don't have the time for this.
Well, I could use my vacation and sell some baked goods. This way I would practice doing the same recipe every day and maybe even get some money. Maybe in december because now I want to focus on food 101 and cook health meals for my mom.

Do you have a crumb shot? Was it sourdough?