Sheppard's Pie

What does Veeky Forums think of Ramsay Sheppard's Pie and Sheppard's Pie in general? Anything similar that should be cooked?

I like it because of how easily it can be made and then eaten over the week.

youtube.com/watch?v=M_GNznvIN1E

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kT9AwKRMWPQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

what the fuck is up with the adhd spastic editing

Exactly, I watch these trying to get new recipes but its difficult to follow what exactly he is doing in trying to re-create

I don't know any other channels with decent recipes either

Seal the sides with potatoes even if the edge gets kinda burned. Otherwise the gravy will bubble up and over the sides of the dish and eventually catch fire at the bottom on the oven coils.

>...not that I know from experience...

why do americans not know what a shepherd is and why do they call gordon ramsay 'ramsay'

>Sheppard's
Retard.

give me your recipes now, doesn't matter that I'm American

Blame the Americans, they practically invented this shit.
Fuck it's insufferable.

Christ, the editing is like some budget after school shit for teens made by uni students

This is literally the only post ITT about pie.

So I remember reading, but am not sure where, that cottage and shepherd's pie are pretty much interchangeable, and that the distinction of shepherd's being sheep meat is folk etymology bullshit, is this correct?

I made a cottage pie once. It was one of the best things i made.
Only problem is that i only have 1 high heat stove top, so it took fucking forever to make everything from scratch.
I used the BBC recipe and it came out great

Yeah, the only difference is the type of mince used.
Beef for cottage, mutton for shepherd

MPW does a better one imo (if you can ignore the knorr shilling that is).

It's a great poor man's meal- its big, nutritious and lasts a decent enough amount of time. I rely on it when funds are tight.

you honestly should be rangebanned by this point

I almost called him Ramsey as an extra just for you

it was fashionable 10 or 15 years ago.
remember all those fast edited close up shots of shit? like the first few seconds of this:
youtube.com/watch?v=kT9AwKRMWPQ

It was done to death so you don't see it anymore.

shepherds look after sheep not cows, so they'd have fuck loads of sheep to eat,and fuck all cows to eat. A pie made by a shepherd ain't gonna have beef innit.

I love making this one with parsnips and carrot
plated.com/morsel/shepherds-pie-dish-youre-missing-life

I made it one time when it came in the delivery and then make it from scratch using that recipe. I always forget to use more potato because you just barely get enough in this recipe. There's a lot of yummy gravy to soak up with the mashies.

I was actually gonna try making it again tonight with ground turkey. Thanks OP

Lol.
A shepherd raises sheep so they can sell their wool. Eating the sheep would be destroying their own means of production.

The reason why it's called "Shepherd's" pie is not because it must be lamb, but rather that a shepherd was a poor person, and this is a poor person's dish.

The earliest recipe ever printed for it calls for "beef or whatever meat can be found". You made it with whatever meat and veggies you could get. Refer to Mrs. Beeton's cookbook from the victorian period.

>Refer to Mrs. Beeton's cookbook from the victorian period.
get the fuck outta here

Well since we're talking about the name of the dish and what it contains it makes sense to refer to the original recipes.

OBSESSED

OBSESSED

It's literally the >clip of Veeky Forums.

have less gravy.
You can always serve extra on the side.

it's chef ramsay

Sheep don't live forever. Shame to waste it.

>shepherd
will be the first to admit that even though I am receptive to social nuances and subtle body/facial/vocal cues I can sometimes be socially eccentric.

On Friday night I was invited to my supervisor's home for a dinner party. There were 3 couples and myself present. I can be somewhat picky, so I asked what the meal would consist of. Oddly enough, my supervisor said he would make shepherd's pie.

I was looking forward to this, because shepherd's pie is one of my favorite things to make. I am quite good at it.

Instead of bringing a salad or dessert I decided to make shepherd's pie and take advantage of lamb in my freezer that I bought from a previous sale. I spent the day making it and was quite excited about bringing it.

The reception was mixed. People seemed pleased on the surface, but I think my supervisor was a little perturbed. I think he was insulted or thought I was being competitive. He did not say this, but I was using my sense of empathy afterwards when I was replaying his body language and reaction and came to this conclusion.

Despite being far superior, most people ate the dish that the host made. His consisted of ground beef while mine was a true shepherd's pie with a very nice gravy on the side. There is no reason to chose his over mine aside for social obligation and perceived politeness.

Was my choice of dish offensive or am I over-intellectualizing the night?

I don't know but I haven't seen shit like that in a while

I read "supervisor" and was going to make an autism joke, but then I read the rest of the post and realized I'd feel bad.

>invited for dinner.
>host is preparing Shepherd's pie for his guests.
>user brings his own Shepherd's pie.

Jesus Christ.

No you're good it's just normie stuff

I make my Shepherd pie with beef though because I live in America, just not much choice

Yes and no. Sounds like they wanted to put on airs for the boss. They also might not like lamb and ate it to be polite to you. Either way a good way to tell if you came off as an ass is to see if he will invite you again.

>see if he will invite you again.
Protip: Probably not.

Yesterday was the worst dinner I have ever had. I make a rule of not socializing with coworkers, and I should not have broken it.

6 coworkers met at someone's house yesterday under the pretense of "Irish stew". I grudgingly accepted the invitation and arrived at 2 pm (when I was told to come). I brought traditional soda bread that had to be baked first. The host made a bit of a stink about using the oven when he had other things in there, but I told him I wanted it fresh.

The stew was still cooking and the host was already drinking alcohol at this time. In the middle of a conversation with a member of the opposite sex, the host tells me, "Please, no talk about politics. PLEASE not today". I said if more people talked about politics we would be in a better country, and he got very argumentative so I just dropped it.

I was drinking apple juice that I brought over and the host kept trying to get me to have a beer. He was obviously intoxicated and starting saying how maybe I would be relaxed and "cooler" if I had some alcohol. It was pathetic, like peer pressure from a high school TV show.

Anyway, at that point I became withdrawn and went for a walk. I came back right before dinner, and that is when the fun started.

He made "Irish stew" with beef, carrots, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, hot sauce, oregano, tomato, and various ingredients. I started telling others that proper Irish stew should only contain mutton, potato, onion, and water, and that beef, tomato, black pepper, hot sauce, and other ingredients would not be available then and therefore it was a modern stew, not Irish stew.

We started eating and someone asked me about what I had said about real Irish stew. The host looked annoyed so I told him. He turned red and told me if I didn't like it I could "get the fuck out and take my apple juice with me".

l-lewd!

I was shocked and speechless. He left the room and his girlfriend (they are unmarried but live together) apologized. Eventually, people started talking more comfortably and he came back and was brooding and drinking more.

The stew was okay, but not authentic. I asked him if he knew that mutton was on sale at a local store and he flew into a tirade, bringing up any small error or faux pas I have ever committed at work. People were trying to calm him down, and I simply responded to him in a quiet and calm voice, and said that I appreciated his invitation and his "take" on Irish stew, but it would have been nicer if the company had been more warm.

He got up and pulled me out of the chair, stretching my sweater at the neck. He was literally screaming in my face and had his fist up in a threatening manner.

I told him I would call the cops if he hit me. He then told me to get out and take my "fucking juice and shit bread" with him. A second loaf was still in the oven with 7 minutes left, and I said I wasn't leaving until it was cooked and I could take it.

He shouted at me to leave or he would call the cops ON ME (imagine) and then threw the bread out of the oven on the ground. I was shaking with emotions and told the group that I enjoyed my time with them but I couldn't say the same about the host.

It was a horrible affair, but I decided to make authentic Irish stew today, because I was let down yesterday and had a hankering for it. It is simmering on the stove and I plan on bringing it to lunch tomorrow, one bowl for me and some for the host. It will be a subtle form of revenge as well as a way to show him that I am a better cook and am the more mature, forgiving person.

I read all of this. I hope your stew was good. that other guy was a dick, kinda comical almost.

How'd you like your first stale copypasta?

>He turned red and told me if I didn't like it I could "get the fuck out and take my apple juice with me".
Fuck I lost

not that user, but that copypasta was written like a great novel.

It isn't that much, maybe my baking dish is too shallow.
Why are there so many stupid fucks in the thread who don't remember Irish Stew Guy? This is pasta
It's as old as Quinky Sauce

>that editing
not sure if watching a cooking video or clip of a marvel capeshit fight seen

>Why are there so many stupid fucks in the thread who don't remember Irish Stew Guy?

because they're new, user.

equating ignorance with stupidity is muh sekret club bullshit

parmesan cheese and egg in mashed potatoes is god tier

if you havent tried it you ought to, it's delicious

>the voice actor for wallace died two weeks ago

Haha yeah there are so many fucking complaints about that

Shepherds Pie us made from lamb only. He uses lamb mince in this clip

If you do not like our board culture feel free to go somewhere else.

holy shit he did, that sucks man.