What the fuck is risotto

what the fuck is risotto

i literally never even heard of it til this show and literally every fucking person orders it

Some sort of grain that is apparently impossible to cook.

Nice filling dish which is simple to make but takes a lifetime to master. One of those things that "nobody makes like grandma."

Rice that you spend 20 minutes stirring on the stove, adding stock a little at a time.

sounds like fucking shit

why not just use normal rice that can boil

does he just use it on the show for some meme dish to see how good they are at consistency?

Because not everyone is a pleb like you.

It's rice you fucks, risotto is an Italian way of making rice. It's tricky to land it not too soupy and not too dry, but it's rice cooked in broth with a little onion or butter. Not much too it. That show is all about consistency, the dishes aren't hard, but you have to get it right, all the time, on time.

Savoury rice pudding.

Can't do it with normal rice. Need arborio rice instead.

jesus christ if i ever hear someone actually order this in real life i would probably cringe

>he said, while driving up to the drive-in

actually i would call up gordon's resturant with a to-go order just to tick him off

Why not just use instant rice?

It's a kind of rice as this user said, arborio rice. It's very starchy so when cooked properly it has a thick creamy sauce.

Of course you could have just UTFSE, but shitposting is way more fun huh?

Why do you hate things you don't understand?

autism

because then ramsay wouldnt have something to complain about

i highly doubt the amount of creamyness couldnt be reached with instant rice and a different formula of ingredients

It's not even in the same dimension.

how many fedoras do you have in your collection

Obviously a NEET.

Takes 45 minutes to cook it. Also takes brains. Delicious as fuck. Not made for you Amerifat.

i garuntee if i pour some fucking alfredo sauce on some instant rice that had some butter added to it it would be just as good and it would be done faster

>45 minutes
>wonders why nothing is ever out on time

jesus fucking christ

who the fuck is going to wait 1 hour just to get their fucking appetizer autism rice?

Go ahead try it. You'll see its not the same by a long shot.
Typically is the main course as it gets infused with meat mushrooms and whatever. Comes out like oatmeal. Not popular in North American restaurants who don't keep it simmering. Can't use uncle ben's.

he calls it an appetizer tho

its always the first thing he yells out when they start their cooking challenges

Cause he saves some from the previous day. Even cold it's awesome.

It's super filling so a little would go a long way but I don't agree with it being an appi.

I should also mention its hard to do right unless you know the rice.

Too much water and your there forever not enough and ur fucked.

Cracking it is important too depending on the consistency your after.

For 600g of that rice ounces of water matter.

It's a special variety of short grain rice that is extremely starchy and is slowly cooked with broth and wine added in slowly to create a really rich, starchy sauce.'

There are other varieties that work, but yeah normal rice doesn't work.

>cracking the rice
wat

Some arborio recipes involve heating the rice in oil until it becomes glossy. Called cracking or so I'm told.

Then you start adding the water.

I find this keeps it shape better when boiling the fuck out of it.

Oh that. I've never heard of that being referred to as "cracking" rice. That's what I do anyways and it does really help.

Just what my old wop grandma would say in Engrish. Honestly not sure of the term.

Tell the truth, what state are you from? I make risotto all the time. The ingredients can be anything and I'll stand at the stove drinking wine, mead or beer while I'm stirring.

It's pretty gross honestly. Think of some overcooked, unrinsed salty rice and that's risotto for you.

Adding onto this:

Nots all these anons talking about the "starchy" "creamy" "oatmeal" consistency? Yeah it's fucking disgusting and why anyone would think this is a good thing for rice is beyond me. If you want flavorful rice just make a pilaf and for the love of god rinse the damn rice.

It's like the difference between automatic and standard transmissions.

Cooked correctly, it has its place in a wonderful meal.

Risotto should never taste "starchy". That would be awful. It should have a creamy smooth consistency, never starchy or grainy.

You can have your savory rice pudding but don't go acting like it's the preference of sophisticated enthusiasts lol

Holy fuck could you bait any harder? Fuck off with your shitposting and fake opinions, it's so fucking transparent.

>cullunarycuck trying to defend his "passion"

also >everytime gordon holds up 1 pan an says "i asked for 2 orders"
>they literally have to create each order in a new pan

any dish that is that fucking finicky is a fucking bullshit dish

You're so wrong that I feel bad about how wrong you are.

if he made them microwave hot pockets they wouldn't mess up enough and the show would be boring

You're confusing the word 'creamy' with the use of a dairy product known as cream.

Risotto, when cooked properly, achieves a creamy texture without the use of any dairy products. That's what makes it good. Adding cream to rice might give you something that tastes good, but it wouldn't be risotto.

he had shows in the UK before getting the US versions that were hugely successful without all the ambient tension music and editing

hells kitchen, kitchen nightmare, ect... all started in UK

>have a saucepan of stock on a simmer
>melt butter with a little oil in a pan
>sweat onions and garlic
>pour in arborio rice
>after letting the rice "crack" for a bit, tip in a glass of white wine
>when white wine is fully absorbed, put in a ladel of stock
>repeat process until all stock is absorbed and rice is soft
>stir through a knob of butter for shine
wa la

You forgot that you can only use a wooden spoon and that you can only stir it clockwise.

Italian pudgy rice

I fucking hate rice. God damned chink peasant food.

They're supposedly making The F-Word in the USA, too.

it already is

Bwahahaha this ain't chink rice

are you shitting me with the stirring direction

I had a chef that insisted that risotto could only be stirred clockwise with a wooden spoon. He was a crazy Italian, so I just chalked it up to that

So many people white-knighting risotto ITT. It's an average as fuck dish as far as rice dishes go and is hardly worth the effort. Making pasta from scratch or a rice dish from a cuisine that does rice well is usually lower effort and better results.

The only reason people like it is because its about the only European rice dish because for some reason Spanish cuisine isn't considered really European.

Risotto is for fags

RICE PILAF ALL DAY EVERYDAY

Risotto is great when you've got something roasting away for at least half an hour, and people are hanging out drinking in the kitchen anyway. At home, it's a "party" dish - no matter how well people are dressed, they will drink, say stupid/interesting things, and get in the way of you stirring/adding stock to your risotto. To make it on it's own is basically just showing off that you have the patience to watch a simmering pan of rice.

Paella is a bit "dirtier" but, same effect when plated nicely. A bit of tarragon and Sichuan pepper to finish and the snobby bastards won't know what hit them.

Two sides of the same coin. Jam some of this into a hollowed out yellow tomato, top with a pickled mango slice and some cilantro, and the Dom-quaffing smoke machines will just about cream their own rice.

>does he just use it on the show for some meme dish to see how good they are at consistency?

Of fucking course.
If they picked all easy stuff then there would be no drama. They specifically choose dishes that are easy to fuck up so that there will be more things for Gordon to yell about.

No, it's very easy to make.

>fly-overs

>what the fuck is risotto
10% rice
90% stirring
8% stock
1% wine
4% onion

they parcook it at french restaurants. that's why italians tend to hate french made risotto. they can tell the difference with their magical genetic food autism.

EHHH NON TRADIZIONALE VAFFANCULO

is risotto really worth it ? 25min of cooking is a fucking lot

>25min of cooking is a fucking lot

Lazy teenager detected.

25 mins would be an underdone risotto.

most types of rice need at least 25 mins, it's just that you can leave them to their own devices 90% of the time.

I'm Italian and I can confirm, my autism sensors go off the charts if I eat frog made risotto.

Risotto is a style, and as a result can be done in a fairly uninteresting or mindblowingly original way, depending on the method and ingredients
A notable one I've tried involved black trumpets, mushroom demi, and wild garlic
If you seriously think cooking rice in stock and butter is harder or longer than making pasta by hand properly, then you may have either autism or brain damage
this is pretty bang on, not sure about the sichuan in paella, but will give it a shot next time (toasted beforehand perhaps)
>Dom-quaffing smoke machines will just about cream their own rice
I like you

bless you and your complete culinary consistency. working boh italian is easier than a turn'n'burn.

>dairy products
you literally end risotto with butter and parmesan

Yes you do. But those aren't responsible for the texture of the risotto.

The texture comes from the gelatin in the stock and the starch from the rice which is released by the constant stirring.

i tried it without butter and parmesan more than a couple times, but you can notice the difference in creaminess. also costant stirring is red flag for pleb cook

i live in a tiny appartment, my kitchen is my hallway i dont like spending time in it
i dont mind 25min of prep, but 25min stirring a pot no thanks
im not supposed to stir 24/7 ?

Just a quick toast, maybe even a pass with an oxygen torch, or a quick flambee in ouzo to tie it in with the tarragon... just enough to soften the flavour a bit, but still leave the tip of the tongue tingling.

YOU MUST STIR 25/8!

It's important to stir early on - especially if sautéeing the rice beforehand. You want the starch and gelatin to bond to each other. It doesn't require CONSTANT stirring at any point, except - possibly - while toasting the rice in butter if your heat's high enough to necessitate that. A thorough separation every 5-10 mins is perfectly adequate.

kek dyec you fucking faggots, if your stock is ready risotto doesnt take more than 20 minutes

Butter and cheese will certainly add more 'creamy' texture, but the foundation of the texture should be from the slow cooking and stirring.

You can take shortcuts if you want, but then you'll always be a hack.

>if you don't count the 4 hours of preparing a real stock the whole process takes 20 minutes

My grandpa once ordered risotto hold the rice.

So true. But then what country doesn't act this way?

My impression is that while risotto can be good it is generally more trouble than it's worth. It's only good if there is some meat in it IMO, otherwise it is just too bland - you can get away with it as an appetizer but for a quick dinner it definitely doesn't cut it.