Offal

Offal thread!

Favorite recipes, dishes, combinations, etc.

Google searches yield little more than "you should cook more offal" and liver and onions recipes.

Hungry for more.

Other urls found in this thread:

nordicfoodlab.org/blog/2013/9/blood-and-egg
youtube.com/watch?v=He3BQynOUwY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They've started stocking beef tongue at my grocery store, what should I make with it that's spicy?

Don't make tongue spicy. Garlic, mushrooms, cream.

You could probably do tacos or similar, though I would keep the spicy as an undertone. Noticable, but not too much.

Also, beef tongue makes great yakitori if you're in the mood for jap food.

Tongue goes well with green chilis/salsas.

For OP, you can make a pate if you have liver and want something other than liver and onion. I also wonder if it would do well in a pie.

What are some healthy, cheap, relatively easy to find organ meats for pets other than liver, heart, and gizzard?

Wouldn't it have to cook for far too long in a pie?

You could cook the tongue partially in advance, then assemble the pie and bake it.

You pretty much covered the easy to find stuff. Turkey necks and ham hocks perhaps? (I'm not really sure what kind of pet you're feeding here)

Beyond that you're going to need an atypically well stocked market.

Damn, my reading comprehension, I thought you wanted to put liver in a pie.
Tongue would do quite well I reckon, maybe paired with something lighter. I might have to give this a try. Watch out for a thread.

I'd like to try testicles.

>also wonder if it would do well in a pie
A mini pate tart doesn't sound all too bad

When cooking tongue, remember to clean it properly. Shock it in boiling water. Take it out and scrap off the outer layer on the surface of the tongue.

For kidney, cut the kidney open in half, wash the inside very well. Then soak in water change regularly (if you don't do this, your kidney dish will smell and taste like piss).

For feet, if there are fur, burn it first, shock in hot water, scrap off the outer skin layer.

Gizzards, cut open, wash inside well, unless you want to eat chicken's last meal. Same for stomach and intestines.

Liver, must be fresh, must not have weird colors.

I don't think parents teach their children proper food prep knowledge anymore. One more generation it'll all be lost probably.

Never had beef tongue but I like to pickle deer tongue and eat it on sandwiches. As for offal I usually just fry it up with onions and eat with ketchup. Sometimes I bread it before I fry it.

OP here: would that be anything similar to pic related? If so, I might give it a shot.

sweetbreads can be amazing
duck and goose liver as well (even if not fattened)
those are probably my favorites, but good stuff can be done with almost anything

not that poster, but you could do that, or look into something called a torchon
basically wrapping it up in many layers of cheese cloth or lint free cooking cloth, marinating with some booze and aromatics, then cooking

Liver is my favorite offal, especially in pates. Kidney is my least favorite. Tripe I'm okay with, but really need to be in the mood for.

Braunschweiger?

I honestly just wanted to see if I could spell braunschweiger desu.

Speaking of tripe.

Asians like tripe crispy while europeans cook it till it's mushy.

What kind of tripe do you eat?

My people are often considered the Chinks of Europe because we happily eat offal. On that note, I'm surprised to learn Amerifriends consider tongue, hocks, necks and tails 'offal.' I thought 'offal' just meant organ meat.

Veal spleen sandwiches.
Calf's (or piglet's) trotters-and-muzzle salad.
Smoked pork liver cut up and made into soup.
Blood pudding. Literally pudding. It's pork blood and sugar cooked with liqueur, chocolate and orange zest in a double boiler until creamy and thick, like pudding.
Pork brain sausages.
Various tripes (beef, veal, pork, lamb etc) with lemon and parsley.
Tongue in carrot sauce.
Intestines sausage (intestines are ground up and stuffed into more intestines; it's offal inception).
Pig skin sausages.
Scrambled brains (eggs and brains, usually lamb, are beaten together then scramble-cooked in butter, tallow, lard or oil).
Kidneys in cream.
Jellied head (whole head of pork +a few trotters are boiled so long that all the flesh and organs fall off the bone; the resulting stock is left to congeal until it's served sliced into slabs with lettuce, vinegar and oil).
I didn't mention heart because of all organs, it's the one I just can't get behind. I've never had heart of any kind that wasn't harder than Jimmy Savile in a children's ward. My mother, though, will fuck up a plate of heart.

Neither. Firm, but not mushy. Usually as a salad. When I've had tripe from Chinese places, though, it was mushier than what I'm used to. Where in Asialand do they cook tripe crispy?

Maybe some burgers do, but count me as one burger who doesn't. Granted, I actually like most offal as an ingredient and don't shy away from trying different preparations of it, meanwhile it's hard to find beef tongue in a grocery store that isn't catering to the Mexican, Asian, or Jewish neighborhoods.

I'll definitely look into it. Thanks.

Yes.

Don't think I could get behind the blood dessert. I love black pudding, but no thanks. Being from the south, I've heard of pork brains and scrambled eggs. You can't find it down here any more, but it used to be served fairly often.

How's the jellied head? I'm kind of iffy on meat jelly.

>Also, beef tongue makes great yakitori if you're in the mood for jap food.
>beef tongue
>yakitori
>literally translates as "grilled bird"

Must be a regional thing. All the Chinese places I've had tripe, it's quite firm and they serve it chilled. Often with some sort of hot pepper oil.

What about offal from more unconventional sources? I personally love monkfish liver.

Have an article about using blood in desserts as an egg substitute
nordicfoodlab.org/blog/2013/9/blood-and-egg

Sweetbreads are so good

Kidneys are readily available everywhere. Needs a bit of cleaning , especially beef or calf ones but it's a true delicacy.
Look up veal kidney a la liegoise for example or just plain with mustard.

Ox tail is amazing for slow cooked stews, makes a great Osso Bucco.

Pig cheeks are awesome to braise or slow cook in booze .

Tongue in salsa verde is God tier too.

In my family we make pork ear croustades.
Slow cook the ears in a red wine broth for hours until it makes a jelly. Filter and let it cool. Cut rectangles and bread them before frying it in a pan or deep frying it. Great appetizer. The broth need to be strongly flavoured.

>kidneys are readily available everywhere

I thought this might have been the al/ck/ thread and got excited for a minute.

Where are you from, btw? Just curious.

Pretty much this.

The livers of pretty much any commonly-eaten bird are really good. Chicken, duck, goose, squab, you name it.

Pork cheeks are GOAT. Super flavorful, get incredibly tender with fairly short braising time, and they're cheap as fuck still, unlike a lot of other braising cuts (I'm looking at you, short ribs).

I love to cook with offal. This weekend I plan on cooking some pig ears for sandwiches.

Pic related. I made headcheese and if you've been here forever like I have you might have seen my thread about it.

>cream

what kind?

Our dog used to love tripe

Should make Pozolé my dude

the best offal i ever had was in japan, nowhere else seems to cook it right.

I cook menudo quite often.

It's mainly chicken offals no?
I have yet to see veal kidney when I go there.

Everything is better in Japan.

A French restaurant in Japan would be expected to have the classic stuff like sweetbreads, tongue, etc.

And also I don't recall what the dish was specifically, but I remember watching a "Japanology" video on youtube that discussed regional foods in Japan. One of them was an offal dish that originated during WWII to make do with the limited ingredients were available. I can't remember if it was beef or pork that was used, and I likewise can't remember the name of the dish. But it apparently became a well-known part of Japanese cooking and they showed multiple restaurants that specialized in it. I'm sorry I don't remember anything more specific than that.

Oh, and the obvious: fish offal is huge in Japan. The liver of many fish is highly prized. Fins and bones are deep-fried to make crispy snacks. I remember watching the original Japanese Iron Chef show and they were often using fish innards in many different dishes.

Yeah I actually remember your thread dude. Shit that seems like so long ago now.

Tacos de lengua

Siuchuan. Good spicy beef tongue

Lungs with onion and some chilli
Lots of butter, can't go wrong

What should I do with a bunch of chicken gizzards? I've breaded and pan fried em before tossed with sweet chili sauce and another time with green chili sauce, wanna try something different.

For beef tongue, a family friend of mine makes this amazing Indonesian Sate Padang with tongue. Honestly one of my favorite foods, period.

I make "dirty rice" often. Get chicken livers, gizzards, and hearts. Chop them up. Separately, chop up some onion, green pepper, and celery.

Get some oil in a pan and saute the meats. When they are browned add in the vegetables. the moisture from them will deglaze the pan for you. When the onions are translucent then add some rice & vegetable or chicken stock. Simmer until the rice is cooked.

Awful thread.

chinchulines asados masterrace here, crispy all the way
same for sweetbread

I live in America and have for over 15 years straight now.
When I first moved out here, all the off cuts, when I could find them, were wondrously cheap. I remember getting tongue and brisket (I live in the Northeast and no one eats brisket here but Jews) for around $2.49/lb until about five years ago when the price skyrocketed. Now, brisket costs more per pound than whole tenderloin IE fillet steak IE filet mignon here. Same with tongue. Fuck me, at least the hip-and-with-it haven't started to eat rump. I can still get that pretty cheap.

Blood pudding's pretty okay if you get past the iron-y taste of it. We eat it with fried sheets of dough, similar to wonton wrappers.
Meat jelly is super common back home. You can buy cans of meat jelly from many different brands. The jelly itself just taste like stock because that's exactly what it is. And the meat tastes like meat for the same reason. Once you get past the idea that you're biting broth, it's not so weird anymore. I like it.

Maybe. I don't know much about regional Chinese food. I know some HK stuff and some SG stuff, but beyond that, nothing. The tripe I've had I'd assume was in HK-style, if that makes a difference, stewed in a brown sauce of some sort and served from a large kettle into a bowl, topped with fresh spring onion. It was soft and a little sweet. Tasty, but the soft, slippery texture is wholly unlike tripe I'm familiar with.

>People mention eating hearts

Curious, how would one go about preparing hearts? Chicken, pig, any kind of heart.

It's just irregularly-shaped muscle. You can grind it up and add it to hamburgers if you just want to try it.

I make stews usually, or braise them in some soy sauce.
I slice pig/cow hearts into slices but leave the chicken hearts whole.

Heart>intestines>brains>balls>feet>lungs>kidneys>stomach>shit>>>>>>>>>>l*ver

Tongue is also pretty good
>that's not the correct anatomical term
Just fuck off

What about ears? Pig ears are fucking god tier with alcohol.

Never had them but ears sound good

>Pork brain sausages.

Just stared working for a company that has pork production. Please elaborate.

I just ate like 3lbs of fried livers
am I gonna die from all the nutrients? I also drank like a liter of vodka too. I'm kinda scared.
I heard if you want to make a part of your body healthy you eat that part of an animal so I figured with my alcoholism i could offset it with primarily consuming livers but my chest hurts

those look like poops xD

Liver, Onion, Apple.

Salt, Pepper, Oil.

Grill.

Pan
Nice and hot
Season
Done

>am I gonna die from all the nutrients?

Nope. That's only a risk for certain arctic animals like seals, polar bears, sled dogs, etc.

I think the litre of vodka would kill you before the liver would.

awful post

I've had beef heart once; chopped it into bite size pieces and pan fried it. It was delicious, texture was slightly different than regular beef.

this desu

1:1 mixture pork brains and lean pork mince, emulsified together into a smooth meat mousse. After that, curing salts, food starch (usually potato starch but cornstarch isn't uncommon) and a mix of seasonings and flavouring ingredients.
The mixture is squeezed tightly into casings which are then hot smoked over beech, cooking them.
Not certain what most-to-all of the added ingredients are, but I'm pretty sure a puree of caramelised onion is one of them.

make some anticuchos
marinade them in chilli, chop them into chunks, skewer and grill it.
it's fucking delicious, although I don't have the specific marinade recipe rite now
look for it online

This guy knows what's up:

Anticuchos are god tier.
Def my fav Peruvian food along ceviche con leche de tigre

Personally, I really like pig brains scrambled in eggs and served on toast or biscuits. Mmm... kind of tastes like bacon flavored eggs. Fried chicken livers are okay too, as long as they aren't over-cooked.

Chicken gizzarrd adobo

>skewered chicken hearts

regular cream, just pour it on as is from the carton.

youtube.com/watch?v=He3BQynOUwY