Vegan Challenge

I want to perform an experiment here. Since most of you are meat eaters, I'd like you to try the following vegan products and give your honest review. Many say these products taste delicious - but is the hype true? Let's find out. Give a rating for each product you try for taste from 1 to 10, then explain your rating in detail.

Let's begin. Here are the products:
Gardein*
Tofurky hickory smoked deli slices
Just Mayo vegan mayonnaise*
Boca chick'n patties and nuggets
Cashew ice cream*
Trader Joe's soy creamy cherry chocolate chip ice cream
Impossible Burger
Beyond Burger
Earth Balance vegan butter*

*For the brands, please specify which of their products you tried.

Why do vegan food always try to emulate normal meat? Isn't that like saying, "I don't like fucking kids, I just like pretending to do it"?

I think anyone with more than half a brain can figure that out honestly. But the why isn't important here. We're just focusing on taste.

I'm vegetarian and I agree completely. If you need a vegan version of a double blasted tripple dipple BBQ baconator....then JUST GET A REAL ONE. Otherwise over here, check out these grilled sweet potatoes and sautéed spinach....Chopped avocado salad with cucumber, tomato and romaine...Or a vegan double fried honey mustard quadruple patty stack ...negro please...will you just order Rally's and get it over with? Personally I prefer the simplistic options described above...that's where vegans fuck up. They deny urges. I enjoy vegetables because I enjoy them; not because I'm denying fast food. So props to the fast foodies who eat what they crave. I do too.

it's pointless to try and understand a vegan, they're all mentally ill.
Probably why so many of them end up killing their kids with a vegan diet.

Right on, sir (or ma'am).

I'm an "omnivore" when I have a burger it's gonna be from In-n-Out not fucking Garden Burger but, I can always appreciate a good vegetarian meal as well. Mediterranean vegetarian food tends to be pretty damned fantastic.

Vegans/vegetarians don't win me over with their imitations of primarily meat driven dishes, they win me over their own meals/dishes that never needed meat to begin with.

I want to perform an experiment here. Since most of you are meat eaters, I'd like you to try the following vegan products and give your honest review. Many say these products taste delicious - but is the hype true? Let's find out. Give a rating for each product you try for taste from 1 to 10, then explain your rating in detail.

Let's begin. Here are the products:
Carrots
Smoked Tofu
Bread
Tomatoes
Corn
Kidney Beans
Quinoa
Pineapple
Just Screaming
Potatoes
Seitan
Apples

Stop. No. Vegan food doesn't taste like shit, but its expensive, and for the price I can get the real version of what it attempts to emulate, and at a much higher quality than normal. Before you ask, no I don't care that something died for my meat. Before you say it, no meat doesn't cause cancer and rot in your colon. I eat a balanced diet and I'm healthy without having to eat in some extreme fashion, I'll keep it that way thank you.

I would but by the time I get back this thread will be gone.

How about you take a Sane Person Challenge and eat regular food?

I don't think I've ever seen so much stupidity or wanted to kill myself so badly from one comment before.

Aaaand just finished reading the whole thread. Mother of god I hope you're all the same person.

Veggie burgers are finally starting to deliver in the protein category.

OP didn't count on the fact that the majority of Veeky Forums users still have their moms buy their food for them. This thread was doomed to fail.

This thread was doomed to fail because most of Veeky Forums doesnt give a shit about muh veganism

Nah it's because you're all manchildren who can't afford anything that costs more than 2 dollars. Also accounts for why you're so terrified of vegan food. You're like little kids who pick off the peppers and onions from your pizza, not yet understanding that it's the best part.

veggie burgers arent bad, my company had a labor day picnick and had a leftover box of the frozen ones. Ive been scarfing them up because: free lunch.

They're alright. They just taste like onions, garlic and liquid smoke.

Just make a meat free meal, dont impersonate meat .

ok.

Which veggie burgers did you have.... there are countless different kinds and the OP mentioned three....

Also Gardein tastes better than meat. Please stop shitting up the threat with your bullshit fucking philosophy on how you should just torture animals instead of eating something else that tastes just as good or better. Fucking Christ how do so many retarded degenerates exist?

Carrots-chore to eat raw. good vitimins though
Smoked Tofu - fuck no
Bread-its bread
Tomatoes-sure
Corn -yep
Kidney Beans-ya pretty good. very versitle
Quinoa-never had it
Pineapple-hurts my mouth but I like the flavor
Just Screaming-are milkybars vegan?
Potatoes-see bread
Seitan-wtf is that?
Apples-I prefer other fruits but sure.

>Gardein tastes better than meat

What the fuck is a Paula and why should I care?

If you have a Sprout's near you their brand of vegam griller burgers and vegan spicy chicken burgers are 10/10. They're soy protons and pea protons glued together. I'm not vegan but what little research I've done tells me if you're wanting something that tastes closest to meat you're supposed to go for the shit that's got soy.

>Gardein*
Mostly good products
>Tofurky hickory smoked deli slices
any Tofurky thing I have tried has been pretty bad

Boca stuff is generally pretty good

This is so true I'm a bit sad now

lack of nutrition can make one irritable user.
I was trying to be neutral/amicable.
this guy gets it

Those tiny red onions fucking with the pickles are really not doing it for me. This is a case of less not being more.

Live with a vegan so I've actually tried most of these.

Gardein: Their chickenless chicken is honestly my go to now when I'm cooking at home. It's really fucking good 10/10. Especially like their mandarin orange chickenless chicken. Their burger reminds me of the burgers I used to get at the cafeteria at school. For me that makes then a 10/10 honestly because I loved those burgers and nostalgia, but for other people they'd probably be more like a 7/10.

Tofurky hickory smoked deli slices: tastes like turkey, also has that nice hickory smoked flavor that again makes this one a 10/10 for me.

Just Mayo: actually tried this with the Tofurky and don't want to sound like a broken record but it's another 10/10.

Boca chick'n patties and nuggets: These taste just like really cheap chick'n nuggets. I like that you can microwave them but besides that they taste exactly like chicken but aren't anything really special. 8/10

Cashew ice cream: So Delicious snickerdoodle is actually one of my favorite ice creams now. 10/10. 2/10 for price though. It's really rich so it tastes like you're kind of getting your money's worth but it's still disappointing because I know it can't cost much more than dairy to make.

Earth Balance: tastes like butter. 10/10.

I'm not a huge fan of most of their sausages (course I never liked sausage much anyway so my opinion on that is pointless I guess), but their hickory smoked deli slices are bomb.

No, I will not do that. For the following reasons:

>I'm an omnivore

>I'm allergic to dairy (not just lactose intolerance, but full on hives and asthma from eating dairy), so I've already found all the vegan dairy products I like.

>I don't belive in buying fake meat products. They're always gross. If I want a veggie burger, I'll make falafel patties, or sweet potato patties, or nut burgers, or grilled portobellos.

>I make my own mayonnaise, and I have no issues with it, and it's delicious.

I went vegan a few weeks ago because I was diagnosed with MS and I'm kind of desperate, trying out all kinds of things.

Holy shit, vegan food is a huge bummer. The stuff that's supposed to resemble meat products is always bland and tastes of disappointment. I dig soy drinks, they're great. Non-dairy ice cream is alright too.

Being vegan is really not that big of a lifestyle change. It's just boring a huge bummer if you acually enjoy food. I'd kill for a fatty sloppy pizza and a big cup of B&Js though

Did you actually try any of the products listed though...?

Why is it every time someone says vegan meat alternatives taste like shit, they NEVER say which one it was they tasted? It's gotten to the point I just immediately assume they're liars. Also because I've tried a lot of the products listed above and they're fucking delicious and I don't see how anyone could actually not like them...

Sad

Different people have different tastes. Weird how that works, right?

Still haven't named any products or verified that they were actually any of the products listed...

Beginning to think this forum is filled with animal ag shills. Highly likely actually since a good portion probably work in the food industry. I don't want to believe so many stupid people exist.

Well, none of your products exist where I come from. I can list some shit now I tried from my local store but that's not gonna help anyone, is it?

The world doesn't revolve around you, user.

FUCKING EXACTLY. YOU HAVEN'T FUCKING TRIED THEM. So shut your stupid fucking mouth.

>vegans pushing other vegans to be more vegan.
This is why people have a problem with you.

I literally can't try them though

I'm sorry...

The world revolves around North America where all this stuff is easy to find.

>Before you say it, no meat doesn't cause cancer and rot in your colon.

but it does...

it's just vegan things m8, you wouldn't understand

>went vegan for 2 weeks, went out and bought a shopping cart full of frozen soy pucks, reconstituted falafel chips, and partially dehydrogenated black bean burgers
>waah being vegan sucks! it's just meat substitutes!
Embarrassing, on a scale of 9 to 10 how flyover are you? I gave you an option to go as low as 9 because it strikes me as possible that you might live in a larger '''city''' in flyover land such as Minneapolis or Chicago, where vegans don't have to register with the local police department, but they are still considered to be suffering from mental illness according to state law.

Vegans here are all trolls, right? I really can't imagine people this autistic and retarded coming here for no reason other than to shill.

I've tried earth balance and it was fucking nasty. Texture was clearly fake and from industrial whipping, taste was of shitty oil. Had a boca bean thing (I think, been a bit im not sure exactly) and it just tasted like a frozen bean patty. Texture was ass and flavor wasn't the worst thing but not particularly good either.

>Why do vegan food always try to emulate normal meat?
It doesn't, this is just what dumb fucks from West Jesusville, SC do because they cannot conceive of the possibility that a person could eat a meal without a steak, or a steak-like object, smothered in cheese. So their well-meaning minister from the local mega-church hires the finest Biblical Scientists to make a soy steak covered in almond cheese because that other stuff over there is for the Hindoos and they worship the wrong invisible sky ghost.

>wanted to kill myself so badly
go ahead, you sound like an insuferable faggot

What? I'm not in the US.

As I said, there's some alright vegan stuff that I consume regularly. You're right, the pre-packed stuff is mostly crap, that's exactly what I said. I stick to vegetables and rice. I still miss real fucking meat though.

why do you get so mad over a single bait post?

>Oh you think vegan food is bland? Well you havent had MY vegan food! MY vegan food is amazing!
You sound like a fucktard who insists somebody who doesnt like philly cheesesteaks just hasnt had a REAL philly cheesesteak.

For vegan food to taste good it generally cannot be a branded product from the local Trader Joe's. I'm not really sure what you expect him to say unless you want the spacetime coordinates of the garden where he picked the vegetables or whatever.

>unless you want the spacetime coordinates of the garden where he picked the vegetables

I expect no less from this board

How about you fuck off to tumblr with your free range organic vegan gluten free avocado bullshit
You people are the SJW of food

>social justice is bad
>avocados scare me
>limes are just hipster lemons
Back to /pol/ with you

Not the guy you're mad at and not a vegan, but I'm ok with them

>waaaah mommy make them stop emulating taco meat and cheeseburgers
"No!"

This smells of shilling

>Just Screaming-are milkybars vegan?
I don't think so. But cocaine is
>Seitan-wtf is that?
Almost pure gluten, basically. It's chewy, sticky stuff made by washing and kneading wheat dough over and over again. Seitan is a great source of protein and surprisingly close to meat in texture.

In that context the Vegans would be the ones who aren't fucking children. Meanwhile, at your house...

Veeky Forums proved that these guys are literally brigading from reddit

pre-prepared vegan substitutes are similar to pre-prepared meat. They are pretty damn average. To get good flavor you'll have to marinate them yourself, be it tofu, tempeh, seitan, or meat.

All in all, the pre-flavored vegan equivalents are usually better (in my opinion) when comparing them to pre-flavored meats and nuggets at least.

>tofu, tempeh
Asian here, can you describe how to make these condiments to taste like meat? in here its used for soup and stir fry but they never taste like meat

I've never tried to emulate meat. I just make dishes like Sweet and sour tempeh.

I think it's like fruit flavoring. No matter how hard you try, as similar as you can get, there's still going to be a difference to the real thing.

Hmm I guess so dishes simple dishes like Kung Pao tofu rice be vey fulfilling, but I think different from meat, I think Indians have the right method in creating Vegan food, appreciating the material and the vegetable and spices for what it truly are

*Can be very

I am gonna eat more meat and also buy more meat and throw it in the trash. Just so this asshole can be angrier at me

this almost all processed shit

its like posting 10 nonalcoholic beers and asking someone who likes beer to buy and rate them.

Nobody is ever gonna do that

I get that trying to emulate what the real thing tastes like is a fascination for some people, i agree that some of the things on your list, like cashew icecream, margarine and cookies will probably taste good, but im not gonna buy mockmeat or mockmayo as someone who eats meat.
to stay with the original comparison, some nonalcoholic beers might be good, but itll never taste like alcoholic beer, so im not gonna buy it if i enjoy beer and have no problem with consuming alcohol.

You can eat whatever you want, its none of my business and i agree that eating vegan is the ethical choice,also delicious if made well, but the mockmeats, essentially convenience products, are never gonna make someone go vegan who likes the taste of meat and does not see the moral need to go vegan.

Vegans should be gassed tbhfam.

some vegans don't like the animal killing part of meat eating, not the flavor you fucking faggot

link to thread pls

I don't think i've ever met a human being in real life that was afraid of killing animals. I'm pretty convinced at this point that vegans only exist on the Internet and at George Soros-funded protests.

some people are shocked when they realize that their entire life is supported by the death of other living beings so they try to clean their minds with shit like going vegan

This is the truth. Have any of you guys ever smelled vegan cheese cooking? It seriously smells like usain bolts feet after he ran 20 miles and died on hot pavement and they left him there for a month.

Oh that makes sense if you're that far removed from knowing how and where you food comes from.

Hmm.

>its like posting 10 nonalcoholic beers and asking someone who likes beer to buy and rate them.
This is the most apt description of "try this vegan food its so much better!" I've ever heard.

I'll admit im afraid of vegan fake animal products. They smell worse than a skunk/feces stew.

The products I had so far were pretty much odorless. It was literally just processed wheat and plant-based proteins packed into a meatball-shape. Slightly unpleasant aroma but not much of a stank. Bland as hell, even in a spicy stir with soy sauce.

I grew up in Asia, we killed pigs and chickens. Have you ever done that? I get the feeling you think you're a hunter-gatherer tough guy because you buy ground chuck every sunday

i don't think that. i just say that some people can't cope with that fact.

It's all good dude i believe you. But i have seriously smelled some vegan shit that literally turned my stomach. Otherwise i like vegan stews/soups/salads.

I've killed fish, does that count?

A vegan can be cheap too, you don't have to buy all the expensive bombastic alternatives to eat

>buying something expensive just because you wanna be pretentious
once is ok if you want to try, but constantly spending your moneys to buy bland food while there are other more flavorful alternatives is just idiotic

>torturing animals
it's not like they're skinned alive while they're watching their younglings being gangraped by the bad evil butchers. They just die in a swift efficient manner

>it's because you're all manchildren who can't afford anything that costs more than 2 dollars

Instead of complaining about that, why not work with it? Most people choose what's cheap over what tastes best. Just think of how easy it'll be to turn the world vegan when your products are priced competitively. Oh, but then there's less profit for the totally cool and relatable vegan food company CEOs. They might have to buy one less pair of gold Birkenstocks or raft one less adventure down Chilko River.

the only vegan substitute food I've eaten were some vegan cookies and they were not sweet, not soft, and not good at all.

This. It's even worse when they make dishes where you really expect meat. My Aunt made vegetarian lasagna. Big fucking chunks of broccoli instead of meat. No thanks.

>Trader Joe's soy creamy cherry chocolate chip ice cream
Pretty great desu. It's not as creamy as real ice cream, but it tastes great.

Another good vegan food is tempah. If you bake it with bbq sauce and make it a burger it's all right.

I have tried Tofurkey and Earth Balance. Both are awful. I would rather have no butter or "deli slices" than eat that shit.

But I have no problem with Field Roast sausages, including the hot dogs. Definitely not as tasty as meat, but really close.

>Just think of how easy it'll be to turn the world vegan
How about no? There's really only one way to turn a large chunk of the world vegan. Crash the economy so no one can afford meat. Because the amount of meat people eat tends to be exactly the amount they can afford to eat.

>i've ever met a human being in real life that was afraid of killing animals
I live in the first world and I experience the total opposite. If you'd ask people to kill their own animals for consumption they'd all turn veggie.
But then again I mostly converse with people who didn't drop out of school and got education and shit.

>Crash the economy so no one can afford meat

Yeah, that's much more realistic than just not charging seven dollars for the equivalent of two dollars of beef.

Why do annoying ass Vegans and Mormons ALWAYS feel the fucking need to preach & convert?

Can't you just be fucking smug in your own smelly little safe space basement without bothering everybody you meet?

>check out these grilled sweet potatoes and sautéed spinach....Chopped avocado salad with cucumber, tomato and romaine...Or a vegan double fried honey mustard quadruple patty stack ..

>Why do annoying ass Vegans and Mormons ALWAYS feel the fucking need to preach & convert?

Most vegans I meet have Zero self awareness.

They're so fucking annoying, when they see people roll their eyes, they don't take it as a social cue to shut the fuck up...

they take it as a cue to be more obnoxious and try to inject more annoying ass conversation about food nobody cares about...

This is why vegans always lose all their non vegan friends.

god die like your thread

Vegetarians seem to make more sense now than before, I guess the retarded vegetarians became vegans.

Not a meat eater anymore, I went vegan about a year ago but I've tried some of these products over that time

>Gardien
The tendies are good, tastes like normal frozen tendies.
The chick'n wings are also pretty good but doesn't compare to real wings
>cashew ice cream/trader joes ice cream
Haven't tried that but I tried the Ben and Jerry's non dairy ice cream, tastes exactly like normal ice cream
>vegan balance butter
Tastes exactly like margarine

Also here are some other shit I tried:
>tofurky holiday roast
Pretty gross, didn't fill the void left by turkey
>Yves hotdogs
Tastes exactly like a normal hotdog
>Yves veggie burger
Meh, it's alright with some BBQ sauce. Doesn't compare to real hamburger.
>Daiya cheese
Doesn't taste exactly like normal cheese but still tastes delicious, especially on pizza

That covers it I think. I mostly don't eat this stuff because eating whole foods feels better on your digestion

>They're so fucking annoying, when they see people roll their eyes, they don't take it as a social cue to shut the fuck up...
>they take it as a cue to be more obnoxious and try to inject more annoying ass conversation about food nobody cares about...
>This is why vegans always lose all their non vegan friends.

My wife and I stopped inviting one couple over for dinner parties after they turned vegan.

In the beginning, we'd cater special veggies for them. But by the 2nd dinner they were fucking unbearable and everybody wanted to stab them.

Needless to say, we don't invite them back for dinners anymore, even though they gave up their vegan bullshit in less than a year.

This tastes like a shill thread

It's realistic in that depressions come and go, and one could hit in the near future. When did Americans commonly eat vegetarian meals? During the Great Depression when they couldn't afford anything else. Where do you see large numbers of people living off a vegetarian or mostly vegetarian diet? In poor places like India and parts of rural China.

Only a small percentage of people who can afford meat will choose to forgo it for ethical reasons. But if you're poor and hungry a plate of beans sure looks tasty. The best way to get a lot of people eating plant based meals on a day to day basis is to make them poor and stop subsidizing the meat and dairy industries.