Uh, I pickled some garlic among some other vegetables and they turned blue

Uh, I pickled some garlic among some other vegetables and they turned blue.
How can mold even grow in there? what did I do wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

epicurious.com/expert-advice/why-does-garlic-turn-blue-article
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Organic garlic is blue. You simply pickled the nasty GMO chemicals out of them and made them pure.

Good job OP

We had this same exact thing happen with some garlic in a batch of pickled green tomatoes. We're still not sure why it happened but we ate the tomatoes and didn't die so do with that what you will.

It's just an enzymatic reaction

That's violet, ya dip.

>nasty GMO chemicals

Neat.
>Older garlic apparently colors more often. In fact, in China, where a pickled garlic called Laba is prized for its green and blue color, garlic is aged for several months to increase the coloration.

Looks like it's harmless and in some places it's prized. I wonder what causes it.

>You simply pickled the nasty GMO chemicals out of them and made them pure.
quality post

Keep your items that youre trying to pickle away from light.

well that's pretty neat

sulphurous compounds and low pH. I'd bet that the same enzymatic process with the same sulphur compounds would probably give a bright pink result in a lye solution.

I've made various kinds of vinegar pickles and thrown in whole cloves of garlic as well as other alliums like shallots, small onions, etc. I've noticed the pink color before, though that was obviously in an acidic solution not an alkaline one.

A lot of alliates contain some amount of anthocyanidins, which lighten in acidic solutions - red onions for a high level example.

So what does one do with pickled garlic?

Eat em' like olives or any other poppable snack.

nyquil garlic NICE

dumb phoneposter
kill yourself

Wine also turns blue when in contact with alkaline compounds.

Take a small sample of wine and put some baking soda in it.

Botulism

I would never waste a drop of wine

>You simply pickled the nasty GMO chemicals out of them and made them pure.
kek

enjoy your botulism, user

user are you colorblind?

blue Chinese garlic is a cancer on this world.

A few years ago, we had a batch thru Aus via most supermarkets. When you cooked the garlic, it turned blue. Disgusting, Chinese junk root vegetable.

Fuck, that reminds me. Every year when garlic is ready to be harvested I like to drive out to the fields and smell them.... Goddamn that's the greatest smell imaginable.

Just drive by with the window down...

Garlic turns blue in presence of acids. If you pickle with vinegar or such, you get this effect. If you want pretty white garlic, pickle in oil.

>If you want botulism, pickle in oil.

>it turned blue
>Disgusting

You deal with all sorts of plants, arachnids, snakes & even the fucking SUN attempting to kill you on a daily basis but a bit of perfectly natural blue garlic is too much for you? Strewth.

You are retarded. GMO is great

yeah it is but the pesticides are not

>sleepytime garlic

true

It's fine OP