>"Now we're going to add some kosher salt"

What the fuck is your deal with this?

Other urls found in this thread:

chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/82678/jewish/Koshering-Meat.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bait harder faggit

>he isn't the master race
Tough luck, goy

Get with the times, Gramps. We're all about pink Himalayan salt now.

why would you have an issue with this unless you're a virulent antisemitic nazi who wants to kill six million jews

>Immediately inferrs antisemitism for absolutely no reason

I asked why it seems every American show uses kosher salt, I would have thought it would be a fairly niche thing. Why not just normal table salt you pathetic thin-skinned faggot?

Never in my life have I ever encountered either a recipe including or a store selling kosher salt. What is the deal with this salt, is it made differently?

it is flakey and better at drawing water out of meats, aka "koshering." people like it because it is easier to sprinkle on food

It isn't "kosher" like how hebrew national hot dogs are kosher

what the fuck makes it "kosher"? one of those jew wizards put a curse on it?

Its flakes instead of cubes.

>american cooking show
>gordon

the bait is real

larger grains, ironically a bad cooking salt and a better table salt than "table" salt which dissolves faster and is nice for flavoring recipes but poor at adding texture and variance to things on your plate

(exceptions: mainly non-battered fried foods where you want an even saltiness but can't apply it during preparation without ruining your oil)

op is just the same /pol/ one-man raid with about five halal threads this week that start out "all else equal, isn't modern slaughter create slightly less suffering" and gradually turn into "REEEEEEEEE shitskins putting shitskinitis in my meat and flouride in my water as a conspiracy to steal slaughterhouse jobs from hardworking aryans", being triggered by the word (((kosher)))

>op is just the same /pol/ one-man raid

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, this is the first time I've been on Veeky Forums in about 2 months. I was watching Triple D earlier and wondered what the deal was with kosher salt so I thought I'd ask on the cooking board. You've got some issues my friend.

salt isn't kosher in the sense of kosher laws. Jews used kosher salt to draw water out of meat and preserve it

>/pol/ one-man raid

I wondered about that. The language in the posts and structural development is always the same so it makes sense that it's just one faggot.

>Why not just normal table salt
lol leave Veeky Forums forever you fucking retard

I'm not American, I've never even seen kosher salt. Calm the fuck down.

The main difference is grain size, the larger grains are better suited to cooking or preparing meats with. The second difference is kosher salt isn't usually iodized,

ironically, I dont think it's for anything but pretzels

It's larger crystals than normal table salt.

Yeaaaa iodized salt can start turning things green. Probably not great for cooking.

>He hasn't switched to Green Celtic salt yet

JOOOOOOOOOS!!!!

Most chefs season food by grabbing a healthy pinch of salt from a dish in their mise with their thumb and two fingers, then sprinkling it onto the food from about a foot above. Flaked salt is a better choice for this use than salt in tiny cubes, which is designed for salt shakers. Tiny cubes stick to your fingers more than flakes. Also flakes are easier to see, making it easier to quickly judge exactly how much salt you're adding instead of measuring shit out with a teaspoon or whatever. No pro cook has the time to do that during service.

In the US flaked salt is sold as Kosher salt because flaked salt is traditionally used to Kosher poultry.

>not using the triumvirate of salts.
Kosher for what said. Diamond crystal because no additives.
Pickling and canning salt for brines and pasta water. It's finer than table salt so it dissolves in water and it has no additives.
Flaked sea salt for that finishing texture and crunch. Maldon because fuck paying for fleur de sel.

This. The only reason for the tiny cubes is saltshakers. For any other use they're not the best choice.

It literally has a star of david pentagram right on it

Yeah, but nobody gives a shit about that.

People use kosher salt for cooking because it's free from additives and because the shape--flakes--easily stick to food.

that's just how it's marketed in the US, i've never seen a container of ''flaked salt'' at a regular supermarket there.

Pentagram has five points retard.

Not all kosher salt is additive free. Morton adds an anti-caking agent to keep it from clumping. Its why there is a lady with an umbrella, so even when it rains (high humidity) it pours (the salt). the only redeeming value for morton kosher salt is its weight/volume ratio is almost perfect.

well, it's marketed as "kosher" salt, what the hell did you expect

You need to specify which kind of salt you use because larger grains means more of the volume is made out of air. If the recipe creator uses kosher salt and recipe says "1tsp of salt" and you use normal table salt its going to be overly salty.

>Not all kosher salt is additive free

Fair enough, but my point remains unchanged:

The motivation using the salt has nothing to do with religion, but instead has to to with the physical properties of the salt itself.

A pentagram is any star surrounded by a circle, it's a symbol of Satan. The penta doesn't refer to the number of points on the star, it refers to the number of heads Satan has in the book of revelations.

>the penta doesn't refer to the number of points on the star,

t. homeschooled fundie

Is that a joke

>this is the first time I've been on Veeky Forums in about 2 months
That's what a cereal shitposter would say.

>A pentagram is any star surrounded by a circle, it's a symbol of Satan

No, it's specifically a 5-pointed star. It derives from the old pagan "goat of lust", pic related, which became one of the many symbols for satan. Plus there's the obvious: penta = five.

>>it refers to the number of heads Satan has in the book of revelations.
In revelations the "dragon" has seven heads, not five. Seven would be a septaggram, not a pentagram.

>Americans make their salt out of pork
What the fuck? Explain this Amerilards.

You mean Ramsey

Don't you have a Mandela Effect thread to shitpost on /x/?

the calluses on my feet are itching

should I get a pedicure?

does it take long?

just follow the mediterranian method: put olive oil into everything

>star of david
>pentagram

I thought iodized salt is what you're supposed to use when cooking? I use iodized salt when boiling pasta, am I doing it wrong? What's the difference?

>am I doing it wrong?
no. you can't taste the difference between iodized and non-iodized salt.

This is true. But most folks have no need to consume extra iodine in their salt. Some folks have health issues where they shouldn't. But in the US iodized salt is usually cheap, so it's not a bad choice for pasta water.

>I thought iodized salt is what you're supposed to use when cooking?

For 99% of cooking there's nothing wrong with iodized salt.

It can, however, give some off flavors in certain situations, like ferments or pickling. But for general cooking it's fine.

Some of the weird Jewish rules for koshering are hilarious.

chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/82678/jewish/Koshering-Meat.htm

> If the meat was accidentally left soaking for 24 consecutive hours, this meat becomes non-kosher and cannot be used.

> If it remaines in salt for twelve hours or more, this may render it un-kosher. Consult a qualified rabbi.

>If a piece of meat falls off the board (while the salt was still on), it should be returned immediately, preferably to a separate board. It must be kept apart from the rest of the meat throughout the remaining process, and rabbinic guidance is necessary.

I once hired an intern who professed to be Christian, yet he followed all the various Kosher food rules from the book of Leviticus. But he took them 100% literally.

Take, for example, the prohibition against "eating a kid boiled in its mother's milk": to most Jews this means you can't eat dairy products and meat in the same meal. Yet to him the prohibition was specific to young goats ("kid" being a young goat) that were literally boiled in their exact mother's milk. If you were to boil kid goat in the milk from another animal then that was OK. Cheeseburger? OK too.

That dude was seriously strange. He was trying to get into Engineering and he had a strong worth ethic, but zero experience at all. Somehow he managed to get through college yet he never swung a hammer even once in his entire life. Millennials.

Please watch your language this is a safe for work board.

Fuck off you donkey

This stuff is superstition from thousands of years ago. Some of it is based on early civilization's guesses about science. But the main purpose was to set the Jews apart from their neighbors by making it impossible for them to eat in the homes of non-Jews.

>If it remaines in salt for twelve hours or more, this may render it un-kosher. Consult a qualified rabbi.

Good fucking luck with corned beef or pastrami then as it takes 2 weeks of curing.

the chabaddies are crazy even by jewish standards

they think their dead rabbi from the '90s is the messiah, so they are literally heretics

Nigger.

Sounds like a seventh day adventist. They are basically jews.

>not using exclusively Blue Persian salt

>adding salt while cooking

do americans really do this?

Please refrain from swearing. Thank you.

I prefer blue Prussian salt.