Worked at a Dairy Queen for a year, ask me anything

Worked at a Dairy Queen for a year, ask me anything.

How come you faggots always give me ice cream upside down?

I went to Dairy Queen for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was terrible. I blame you.

can you start coming to work on time? I'm tired of getting soggy ass fries at 11 am because your sorry ass didn't get there early enough to preheat the vat of cooking oil to proper temperatures.

It's free otherwise.

DQ food is generally terrible.

I was never once late. Can't say the same of my coworkers, who ran the usual holy trinity of fast food workers (high schoolers, mexicans, white ex-cons).

I always thought the employees were just being playful when they did that. I guess this is company protocol.

Where do you work?

It's your fault your going to Dairy Queen for French Fries dumbass.

Why is the chicken strip basket one of the greatest fast food items, and why is DQ gravy so delicious?

What items are the biggest pain in the ass to make?

What's your favorite DQ item(s)? Has working there changed how/what you order?

The chicken strips are supplied by Sysco, consist 90% of MSG, and are fried in day-old shortening that is brutal to your arteries but heavenly on your taste buds. I'd sneak fucktons of them at work.

The gravy...is shit. I dunno what to tell you. I had to make it a million times. It is literally just white flour and black pepper and salt. You could make the exact thing at home in like 2 minutes.

What did you get fired for?

pumpkin pie blizzard

Why do you hardly put any ketchup on your cheeseburgers?

why do you faggots take so long to make a fucking burger?
>fast food
>DQ
pick one

Oh my fucking god the salads, dude. If someone orders a salad you're basically adding 3 minutes to that order and every order after it. I legitimately become personally upset with anyone who orders one.

The snack melts were a bit of a pain too because they only use half a chicken breast and we weren't allowed to precook more than a couple of them so it fucks up your stock.

I really liked the Turkey BLT. It'd be a cinch to make that at home. Just ciabatta bread, bacon, swiss, and turkey slices.

Working there has made me avoid the burgers. They're frozen and packed MONTHS before being ordered, dry out almost immediately upon cooking, and taste very unnatural and low-quality.

I quit with over a month's notice.

I would actually get complaints for putting too much. Another common complaint, especially when we have new or food-illiterate people working the grill side, is that we put too much mustard. New people will put equal amounts of ketchup and mustard, not understanding that they should only use about half as much mustard in order to avoid overpowering it.

Most Dairy Queens are privately owned franchises. Corporate suggests having two people working on grill-side, but what most owners have figured out is that they can get away with just one person if that person is trained and fast enough. Orders will take longer than most other places but they prefer it to having to pay an extra person.

I was one of two people (out of 18~) at my location who was good enough on grill that I could get through a lunch rush alone without catastrophe. This made me better-paid than most of the shift leaders.

DQ is the only fast food burger place in my tiny shithole town, if I want McDonald's I have to drive 40 minutes. but DQ is so fucking slow I just don't even bother and make burgers at home.

Have you ever seen anyone drop the blizzard while doing the upsidedown test?

Well, they're probably one of the many stores that are trying out the one-man grill idea but don't have the right man for it.

A homemade burger made with average effort is going to be at least 10 times better than anything at DQ anyway.

Nah, never. It's extremely obvious when you have one that's going to drop; it'll have liquid pooling around the edges of the cup. You just dump it and make another one. Happens maybe 1 out of 30 times, usually because you blended it too long.

Ever seen any fights or any overly nutty customers?

Is your ice cream still ice cream, or does it come in as a powder and you have to manually add urine?

Hey man, thanks for the great meals and being in every small town in Texas.

What state are you in? Why the fuck does DQ have a Texas menu and other menus?

No fights, I would say a solid half of our customer base were senior citizens and anyone who's had to deal with baby boomers in a service environment can tell you what a pain they are.

I'm in washington state. Texas has its own menu because Texas has a distinct food culture that DQ corporate decided to capitalize on. Farm boys can eat a fuckton in one sitting so they've got 3-patty burgers on the menu down where you're at, I believe.

Why is Fosters Freeze the better version of DQ

Were you at the Burien location by any chance?

Do you know the biscuit recipe?

Why does culvers have better food?

What kind of phone calls did you get? How did you have to answer the the phone?

No, but a former coworker of mine was. I also went to that one a lot as a child because I lived a couple blocks away.

Mine never served biscuits. Texan thing perhaps?

99% of the time it was someone ordering a cake.

>This thread

Why do people got to this place for anything other than ice cream?

Anyways, is there something special in your ice cream that you are willing to share? Im sure there's something to it.

Why do you make food? Who actually goes to a dairy queen for food? Why? Why would you ever do such a thing?

Why do people order cakes from Dairy Queen?

I go there for the flamethrower burger.

Why do you fucks always remove the one blizzard worth a damn, cotton candy?

I'll never understand why a place that specializes in frozen dairy desserts has better fried chicken than like 80% of all other fast food places. I'll enjoy it though.

>The chicken strips are supplied by Sysco,
I knew they were the same as the ones at ruby tuesday's and red lobster. good to have it confirmed.

Why did you get rid of buffalo chicken tendies

Was yours as shitty as mine? Shitty as in equipment from the 1970's, only one blender that worked, a "new" fryer from the 1980's (the first one nearly electrocuted my co-worker, so we got one literally covered in old grease instead), a drive in that only notified you of cars 90% of the time, ANALOG FUCKING REGISTERS that I had to count down and print out tapes from and all that jazz (staying an extra 2 hours each mid-month and end-of-month was fun), and periodic $1200-$1500 night shift (what I worked, about 2-10) with at max 4 people on staff.
I got 8.50/hr for that shit.

>worked on in Texas
>snowbirds would bitch and complain when whatever bullshit they wanted wasn't on the menu
>some would even go so far as to say that they got one at my store not two days before

Do people not realize that I can tell you're fucking lying? Do you think that we just have secret shit in the back that we don't give to you because we don't like you? Pissed me off every time.

Speaking of Texas food though, apparently the Dude is not everywhere and I feel sorry for you bastards. That shit is GOAT, especially the way my fry cook would make it.
>2 dude patties
>jalito ranch instead of mustard
>squirt of the flamethrower sauce if you feel like it
>pepperjack cheese
>tomato and lettuce
>toast the buns twice instead of once
I get it every once and awhile, and tell the guy working there that I'm sorry he's stuck working for such a shitty place.

>hear that dairy queen has steak tendies
>walk down to get some
>find out they're texas only
fuck you stop hogging the good stuff

The Dude that I mentioned is a burger with a patty made out of the same stuff as the steak fingers. Sucks to live in fly-over land, this shit is great.

>local dq closes down a couple of years ago due to lack of interest
>new dq opens up a couple of months ago about 2 minutes away from where the old one was
>lines around the building at all hours of the day
if I had a fast food franchise, I'd just open and close my locations every year or so just to keep that "new restaurant" shine all the time