Horseshoe Crabs

youtube.com/watch?v=28v13BCPfk0

Would you, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/06/how-the-life-saving-blue-blood-of-horseshoe-crabs-is-extracted/241203/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

not if that guy is cooking it

no, and I eat almost everything from the ocean.
Their blood is insanely valuable.

This, not enough meat for me to care when the blood is basically liquid gold

whats so special about the blood boys

His other Catch and Cook videos are pretty kino btw.

It's become a highly prized commodity for biomedical research

The blood contains a type of clotting factor that works in tandem with the crab's immune system. Basically when some type of foreign pathogen is detected in its blood, these clotting factors activate and then aggregate around the pathogen. This coagulation essentially locks it in place and prevents infection.

Ancient yet amazing biological attribute.

Also their blood is copper-based (hemocyanin) unlike mammalian blood which is iron based. As you know oxidized copper turns blue so their blood looks cool.

>oxidized copper turns blue so their blood looks cool

It looks like some kind of blueberry drink.

Fuck no, those things are bottom feeders and eat the shit other sea dwellers avoid

they are endangered and nto for eating

Just like shrimp, and lobster? How 'bout catfish?
>Delicious

horseshoe crabs are worse than those, they eat tin cans and shit

That's just extra iron, senpai

i almost puked myself watching that

wait, so they're from the planet vulcan?

They're from another world in a sense yeah, they're basically 500 million year old living fossils and their super-primitive immune system defenses are actually a medical miracle for us in our present time

I hear they taste like sea plastic.

absolutely fascinating

more info?

www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/crash-a-tale-of-two-species-the-benefits-of-blue-blood/595/

>tin = iron

Aren't they like roaches of the sea?

>closely related to arachnids

...spiders of the sea?

I live on the ocean and those guys are very common around here. Had no idea they were valuable.

Their total population actually isn't very big and they're coming close to being endangered so only a small amount can be harvested. People using to go catch a fuck ton of them and use them as fertilizer. Depends on the species.

i'm from SC and we used to hit the coast every summer when i was a kid. we'd find several horseshoe crabs just chilling on sandbars every time we went.

>finding an ancient species and stringing it up to harvest its blood

This is all too similar to bloodborne.

Ticks of the sea

>Bloodborne is based um lovecraft
>lovecraft based is ideas in the ocean because he have fear/admiration in the ancient live in the bottom of ocean

Poetry

>makes thai salad
>uses western salt
>plays chinese music

>cooks it alive
savage

Fear the blue blood.

>there's constant outrage about chinks harvesting bile from bears or organs from falun gong
wow nice double standards huh

It doesn't hurt the crabs and they get released back into the wild. It's like donating blood, so I think it's fair as long as their compensated with juice and cookies.

Bullshit, the Earth is only 500 years old.

FEAR., THE BLUE BLOOD

>donating
you can't call that donating

I wonder who's behind this post...

36 replies until the Jews in a horsehose crab thread

wtf I wont eat horseshow crabs now

Sure, why not

no they're cute af

You caught me

this desu

Go back to pol you fucking trash human

hello r3ddit

"You're human trash and you should go back where you came from and stay with your own kind."

Remind me; which board says that?

Lol this guy is so weird and freaky deaky

Also would would dare to just touch a dangerous monster in the wild with their bare hands?

theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/06/how-the-life-saving-blue-blood-of-horseshoe-crabs-is-extracted/241203/
So they don't actually die from blood extraction.

defending fucking racists

maybe I will leave? if this place is enhabited with fucking pol retards

and stay out

I hope the door hits you in the ass on the way out faggot

/pol/ is the biggest board on Veeky Forums by a wide margin, fruitcup

Just ignore them. They're 12 year olds who think they're being edgy.

Race is a social construct so it's not possible be racist. So why don't you go back to pol with your shilling and race baiting you worthless cunt

They're also toxic to human metabolism.

The difference is that the crab blood is actually being used for valid medical research purposes, whereas the bear bile is a bunch of bullshit.

Meanwhile dumbfucks in the Carolinas just love to catch them and chop them up for fish bait.

> Who cares who's defending who? Why don't you quit being an overly sensitive faggot and just get over the fact that there are others with different opinions than you?

Fucking liberals, I swear they're a buzzkill everywhere they go.

fuck crabs. i hope it hurts. i hope that horseshoe crabs live lives of constant suffering so we can get their blood.

Actually the biggest board is /b/ you retarded faggot, nice try now go kys immediately

No. Not only does it look like a special effect from Aliens, but I don't like eating things based on their "novelty factor". It shows a lack of respect for nature and if that's your motivation, logically there's no difference between killing and eating a Horseshoe crab and kicking a Labrador to death, which would surely be a "novelty", amongst other things. Not that I'm saying his video is the moral equivalent of that, just that it is as pointless.

Is this why Asians stink like hell?

Kabuto !

we don't kill them, they can deal with having some of their blood extracted, and it's for medicine rather than food or status symbols
I'm sure it is painful, but every living thing deals with pain at some point

are horseshoe crabs endangered or under threat?

harvesting a sea-pest for hard science and medicine is different the uncontrolled poaching of bear dicks and other endangered animals

what if he just didn't like how he cooked it?

Ever see a horseshoe crab orgy where they lock up together like the human centipide?

I used to catch these guys all the time and my dad made a chest plate out of dead ones we found. It smelled horrible.

They don't seem to have much meat on them.

"tin" cans are all steel these days.

this is metal as fuck

crustaceans are infinitely less valuable than mammals, and if you don't innately grasp this you are severely autistic

i cant believe such a flimsy bait attracted so many (you)s...I'll give you one merely for audacity

Horseshoe crabs are probably more valuable than a bear based on the properties of its blood alone.

less valuable

That's not the correct word. Ecosystems are extremely sensitive and populations of "lower level" life forms being removed or depleted can have a major impact throughout that system.

I think what you mean is mammals are more easily empathized with by humans. Value has nothing to do with it as all life is equally valuable in terms of ecosystems.

>inb4 muh human soul muh sky pilot gib me

>Value has nothing to do with it as all life is equally valuable in terms of ecosystems.
t. intro to ecology student
>Horseshoe crabs are probably more valuable than a bear based on the properties of its blood alone
While this is true, horseshoe crabs are plentiful, bears and other endangered animals that the chinese need to harvest for dicks are not plentiful.

>naive ecosystems student
>horseshoe crabs are plentiful, bears and other endangered animals that the chinese need to harvest for dicks are not plentiful.

LMAO. What's the benefit of decimating one species over another when it's because muh mammal. What's the benefit of decimating bees, a scary insect? We get to pay $10.00/hand pollinated apple. Pay attention to what's going on in your environment you sadass fuck.

dont you just love how asian people eat endangered species? truly a developed modern culture

they're less valuable because they have not been decimated you dumbass

harvesting =/= decimating

You're a dumb fucking faggot

i actually work at one of the places that harvests their blood. i scrape the shit and barnacles and slipper shells off their carapaces, scrub them, and also put them on racks like in i also have to dispose of the waste blood after they extract the amebocytes from it. it smells absolutely awful and i spilled it on myself once.

apparently nobody there has actually seen one die from the bleeding process, the only ones that really die are ones that came in wounded or unresponsive and we don't bleed those ones anyway.

i can confirm that they eat shit like tin cans, including nylon ropes and fishing line.

i would not eat them, they apparently have like one edible muscle and it tastes like plastic or something.