Thoughts on haggis?

Thoughts on haggis?

The original food gore

Had it in Scotland. Pretty delicious. As an burger from the East Coast it's no weirder than scrapple or goetta.

I don't understand why the FDA won' t let us import haggis when we eat shit like liver mush and scrapple in thr South. They're pretty much equally gross.

Delicious

About 30 years back we had the MacGreggors that lived a few houses down from us. The mom would make it every Wednesday night. It had this gravy that was to die for. The flavor and texture was out of this world. It was made from beef though. But still one of my favorites from my younger years.

Love it

Scot here.

I prefer it to beef mince, but I'm not crazy about it. Anything more than a small portion is too much.

I'd recommend rolling it up into balls and then breading them. My mother does it for special occasions and it's to die for.

It never crossed my path. Would love to try though. What is it? Organ meat and blood i assume? I love organ meat.

>rolling it up into balls and then breading them
confirmed scottish

Not as much as deep frying them

Which is the best thing ever

i'd probably like it.

mom always made meatloaf with oats instead of breadcrumbs.

lungs

rich and tasty although i wouldnt want to eat it everyday

I'd like to try it. Never have before.

Is the casing/stomach usually eaten? I don't really like tripe, so I think I might want to try it in some pastry first. By the way - how common is it for haggis to be baked into pastry?

You don't eat the skin. In terms of pastry there's no reason why not. It kind of goes ugh everything.

Goes with everything, that should say.

Haggis has to be eaten with neeps and tatties.

We eat scrapple and "pan pudding" up here in Ohio too, thanks to the Amish.

Shit is delicious, nutritious, etc.

What are neeps?

turnips

I'm far enough south that haggis is justification for rebuilding Hadrian's Wall.

This is really the cited reason.

"In 1971 it became illegal to import haggis into the US from the UK due to a ban on food containing sheep lung, which constitutes 10 to 15% of the traditional recipe.[25] The situation was further complicated in 1989 when all UK beef and lamb was banned from importation to the US due to a BSE crisis.[25] In 2010 a spokeswoman for the US Department of Agriculture stated that they were reviewing the ban on beef and lamb products, but that the ban on food containing sheep lung would remain in force.[25]"

For what fucking purpose

Probably benefits some politician in some way.

Does it have flavor? It looks like a lot of the filling is grains, it seems like it would be bland.

Pic related, a rice sausage.

It's not bland at all. It's actually very flavourful, meaty and peppery.

Haggis on a roll with Square Sausage and proper butter is fucking great.

HAGGIS EATAN...

Tasty as fuck

Last I recall reading--which was about six years ago--most livestock lungs can become infected with the spores of bacillus anthracis. They can survive in relatively inhospitable environments as spores. Combine that with the bovine spongiform encephalopathy outbreak from a while back and the FDA is none too willing to start importing.

To be fair - health concerns aside after foot & mouth - haggis is one of those dishes that was invented by peasants for peasants to ensure there is only minimal waste of an animal carcass.

its alright,you need to eat it with turnip mash though

Worked in a kitchen of a pub that was a having a Burns day celebration and Haggis on the menu and I tried some and loved it and was eating leftover Haggis, mashed potatoes and mash turnip the next day too.