Opening a restaurant soon

Hi guys, i was thinking about my concept and my menu and i decided that i only want to serve one appetizer which Will be a MEAN Mac & Cheese... What do you think about that? Have you Ever been to a restaurant with only one option as an appetizer? We'll have a Nice variety of pizzas Even a deep dish Chicago Style, i want people to come in because of the pizza, i wanna make great fucking pizza, thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

thespruce.com/cheese-spaetzle-noodle-casserole-kaesespaetzle-1447171
twitter.com/AnonBabble

your restaurant will fail
try a food truck or something nonstationary if you insist

This don't you think Mac and cheese and pizza is a saturated market op? And im not talking about the fats. Be original homeslice. You can have pizza specials or mac and cheese specials like once a week, max. Don't pigeonhole a whole restaurant to them

>i only want to serve one appetizer which Will be a MEAN Mac & Cheese

Be sure to give your restaurant a rustic sounding one syllable name like "Crumb" or "Grit" or "Toast". That is a sure way to attract the wealthy hipster clientele you seek.

Mac and cheese is too filling of an appetizer. I like mac and cheese, but I'd never order it while waiting for a meal, especially not a big starchy meal like pizza. By the time my food got there, I'd be ready for one slice and then a nap.

Your menu is too limited.

>give your restaurant a rustic sounding one syllable name
"Shit"
"Crap"
"Rectum"

Cock

OP HERE

Thanks for your replies and i'm sorry for the lack of details

It's not saturated in my city, there's no place like it here, i'm in Veracruz, México

Im a marketing guy and ive done the research and i know this market like the palm of my hand, it Will succed i know that

What i want it's an opinion of the idea of only serving one appetizer, or should i Offer more options

>rectum is 1 syllable
are you brain damaged?

>Open for breakfast
>Not "Now with Morning Wood"
For shame

>One appetizer
A restruant near me used to do this. Used to.

Should have been pen island.

Yeah, you should offer more. Something less filling.

Good luck on presenting your idea and business plan to a bank for financing. I'm sure the executive you talk to will be drooling.

how much do you have to pay out to local cartels to operate in the city?

>This don't you think Mac and cheese and pizza is a saturated market op?

Pizza? Yes, that's a very competitive market.

Mac and cheese? While that's easy to find, I can't name a single place that is especially known for it or does a particularly good job at it. It's one of those things that many places will over as a side dish but it rarely gets any attention or special treatment. I absolutely could see a restaurant specializing in mac and cheese taking off.

OP AGAIN

Yes, exactly i don't want to saturate the menu, i want to keep it short but each dish Will be mindblowing

The Mac & cheese appetizer would be a small serving for a small price i don't want them to fill up

Don't worry bout that user, i already have an investor

And i don't have to pay anything to the cartels, that practice is gone at least in my city

>i'm in Veracruz, México

There are people, such as my stepmother, who literally can't eat cheese without gagging. She's not selective at all about anything else and is morbidly obese as a result.

Minimizing options for efficiency can be a good thing, but this probably isn't a good way to do it.

There's a vegan place in Madrid where I can just say "brunch" and they give me a three course meal for ten euros. The only choice I need to make there espresso or americano and which cake.

Why are you so damn set on one appetizer and having it be mac and cheese? Use that as a side or some shit.

They mostly come at night. Mostly.

How long will it take to cook those? How long does it take to cook a pizza? Mac & cheese is great. The idea of a limited menu is great, but it seems like you're not considering the flow of the orders and use of ingredients already in use in the kitchen for the main, and how this is going to affect the bottom line. There is a reason why pizza places often offer salads, fresh breadsticks and antipastos as starters.

>a vegan, a lactose-intolerant, and a miser walk into a shitty restaurant... and immediately walk out

I don't think most people like to eat white flour and cheese before they eat white flour and cheese?

For instance, if I was opening a pizza joint in Veracruz, my starter would be an antipasto with local seafood, cheeses and bread. You know, something that the servers could put together if need be.

Serve them like in your pic but let it be small cast iron skillets on small square planks, enough to for one serving. Trust me user I saw this in a dream.

not everyone's going to order it because girls
you gotta offer edamame or something also

Main restaurant: Nyg
Attached bar: Gür

OP HERE

Actually the flow of it all it's why i like the idea, i mean you get the Mac&cheese almost immediatly after you order in a cast iron plate on top of a Wooden board (you already ordered the pizza)... Then id like the pizzas to be ready by the time people finish their Mac cheese, then the waitress come with the pizza, place it in the middle retire the cast iron plate and in the Wooden board it says "pizza time!" And people can serve their slice of pizza in the board.

And i don't really care about vegans and stuff. They can go to a vegan place, we'll serve beers and great fucking pizza

I'd say offer dilevery, open near some chain pizza places and make the place look decent. Not hire a design firm level. But you know. Just look decent.
Oh wait he's opening an actual resteraunt.

>Veracruz

Fuck off Alex.

Why are you hung up on the god damn mac n cheese. It's a child's dish first of all and ok even if you do it right it's extremely rich and then you want people to eat a pizza following that? I don't get the appeal of eating so much cheese in one meal

Ok Op I am hoping you have done a market share study of your area. it will give you insight into what your investment will bring. Do no just walk into this blindly. Restaurants often operate on a Low percentage of profit.

mac and cheese isn't a fucking appetizer.

>Im a marketing guy and ive done the research and i know this market like the palm of my hand
Then why do you need others' opinions?

I feel like it takes more time to prepare mac and cheese than a pizza. Also prolly a bitch to clean all those shitty cast iron skillets.

Nah, we serve it. Just heat the cream, add cheese, add pre-cooked pasta. Maybe 10 minutes. Quicker if you have a combination oven, like, 3 minutes.

The only time I could see a large amount of people wanting mac and cheese (with bacon) is if they are wasted.

Besides that I can't actually see anyone ordering or going out of their way for it.

It's really high in fat, carbs, and calories so chances are most women won't go for it, especially if they know they'll be eating pizza too. Only the hammest of hambeasts would eat that.

I'm Granted, it's a brew pub (seating for 200, waiting list is ~45 minutes on weekends and people do wait), but mac & cheese is one of our best sellers, for all ages and all 7 sexes. BUT
But it's NOT an app. I agree completely with that idea. Very few but the most gluttonous of gluttons would order cheese with wheat and cream as a prelude to their cheese and wheat main course.
Salad or antipasta sounds more appropriate.

I'd add a second option, a lighter one (maybe a salad?)

Do an ethnic variation:
thespruce.com/cheese-spaetzle-noodle-casserole-kaesespaetzle-1447171

Pretty much the same ingredients, assuming you make stuff from scratch, but probably way less common.

Spit my fucking drink out.

>Only mac and cheese
>In a timeline were EVERYONE is lactose- and gluten intolerant

good luck

Took me a minute to realise
>Open for breakfast 6am-10am
meant breakfast hours. Thought they were opening and closing and it threw me for a loop.

Ya it's probably more of a thing for a pub.

Also I don't think mac and cheese would be well received in Mexico

i disagree theres this place in mexico city called la pizza del perro negro and they sell crazy super caloric pizzas only, you can order fries and stuff but nothing light or healthy... the place is packed everysingle day, amazing business. mexico is one of the fattest countries we dont care about that.

i wanted opinions on a restaurant serving only one appetizer.

says who?

theres never enough cheese

we love mac and cheese, its not like im the trailblazer of it in mexico. Mac and cheese pizza its a fucking hit over here.

No, I hardly knew 'im

Mac and Cheese is too filling to match with pizza.

Take a hint from New Jersey/New York and do Clams and Oysters.

>Opening a restaurant soon
No you're not, it's an autistic dream

-gluten
-dairy

sure that entree will surely won't cause any issues. and you won't encounter anyone who will ask for something else.

That image says mac & cheese, but it clearly depicts conchiglie, not macaroni.

It's a bad fucking idea, but you know the market like the back of your hand, so it sounds like you just want someone to agree with you.

No one will agree with you.

Either a few good appetizers that go with pizza, or no appetizers. Don't just do 1, and don't do Mac and cheese if you do, wtf...

He said he had an investor lined up. What I'd like to know is who the fuck would think a mac and cheese appetizer and pizza place would work? It has to be some millennial kid who inherited a shitload of pop's money and is seeing how fast he can blow it on ideas that would appeal to a 14 year old.

suck my dick

I want to do casual french dining with no menu.

what ever I want to make for lunch/dinner, is what is you get.

you come in, sit down, get a baugette, some butter, water, and then the meal of the day is brought out, with the wine already appropriately picked for you.

Oh, I'm terribly sorry, I don't like onions and my wife is allergic to shellfish, can you cook us something else.

non!

the meal being served would be on a chalkboard by the front door. so you should already know what you are getting when you sit.

It can take off as long as you're fucking reasonable about your prices. Don't be like these fucking hipster establishments that charge you 13 bucks for a plate of pasta and cheese

id say it sounds horrible, id never go to your place or any place that serves pizza and mac and cheese, no matter what other appetizers were on the menu, and im not even snobbish when it comes to food.
if the "all american","pizza time","deepdish/macncheese" is where you are heading conceptwise, there is literally no fucking reason why you shouldnt take other american apps on your menu. and as other anons said, last thing i would want before a pizza is another starch, probably id want nothing at all. pizza is mostly a standalone meal everywhere outside of italy and it has no relation to macncheese whatsoever

t. Wisconsin

just make sure not to use spices

Honestly, if you are this myopic or only capable of developing one appetizer, you should really consider a different path. Save yourself lost time, money, and disappointment.

mac n cheese is for manchildren.

>Opening a restaurant soon
>Hasn't thought about menu
>Doesn't realise restaurants are built around menus, not the other way round.

You will fail spectacularly, and it'll have nothing to do with your food.

You will fail spectacularly.

Hey OP, for an appetizer I don't recommend having anything a smaller person or a child could potentially order as an entire meal. The other user was right about not having something carb-heavy as an app. IDK how big you are, but as a small person (5 feet, 110 lbs), 1/2 a cup of cooked mac n cheese for lunch would keep me going until dinner, whereas a soup would pass through me quickly enough to accommodate more food. I absolutely fucking hate when a customer orders an appetizer as their main meal. Our restaurant definitely takes a hit whenever that happens, as the guest is pretty much paying half the price of an entree for the same amount of service and labor as an actual meal. I wouldn't have a problem with that if these type of guests ordered more food, but the people who order an app as their main are usually also the type to not order anything else, and only drink water while they stay. That's another table the restaurant is virtually making no money off of that you can't give to other guests.

Also Mac n Cheese is a bit complicated for an appetizer... You want something you can potentially send out 1-2 minutes after the order comes in. Think of a daily soup from a giant stockpot that just needs to be scooped into a bowl, or a salad that you have premixed in the back that takes seconds to plate. If you've got your mac pre-assembled (pasta cooked, with cheese sauce added), you run the risk of your pasta getting too soft from the liquids before you sell all of your prep. If your mac isn't pre-assembled, it takes longer to get the appetizer out to the customer before their meal is ready.

I don't know why you're so dead set on having mac and cheese as an app, OP. Just put it on the menu as a side dish.

Lmfao my workplace literally serves Mac n Cheese the same exact way. There are no cast iron pans in the world that are small enough to keep the Mac to an app size. Even 4 inches diameter cast iron would be a meal for some people. And is right, women would never go for this. RIP OP's business.

>opening a restaurant in cartel land
>only offering one appettizer
>fucking mac n cheese
>followed by pizza
>in a country where people typically don't eat these things
>50% of Mexicans are lactose intolerant
You will crash and burn spectacularly.
Plese post a follow up, I want to see how you lose your shit.

Give these assholes a breadstick with a marinara dip. Other than that, you're fucked.

>What i want it's an opinion of the idea of only serving one appetizer, or should i Offer more options
Honestly that's not a good idea.
You don't have to serve everyone appetizer you can think of, but only one is a gimmick that won't pay out.
If you have great pizza, people who like pizza will go to you; If you have great mac and cheese, people who like pizza AND mac and cheese will go to you.
Not many will go there for just mac and cheese, unless you market it as a pizza and mac and cheese restaurant.
This model excludes a lot of the market, customers that are not big fans of either. If a group of people want food and some like pizza and others don't, your other food options will determine if they go to your store.

If i'm going to a pizza place the last thing I want before I eat cheese is more cheese. Garlic knots are a logical choice but if you really want a special app smoked wings are the only way to go.

I went to a similar restaurant in France.
They have two dish of the day, for people who don't like the first one.
Otherwise, you're just blocking all groups with one person or more who don't like the first dish. Having two options greatly reduce that.
Have a meat and a fish/vegetarian dish for example.

I've seen menus where starters have another price when served as mains. They say they increase the quantities, but I guess it's for reasons you stated.
Also OP planned to have shitty pre-cooked pasta served badly heated. I really think he's a child.

Here's some tips for a 'mean' mac and cheese
Use a mornay as the sauce, and utilise a blend of cheeses. Here is the ratio I use normally
3:3:2:1
cheddar, comte, roquefort, reblochon
Really fucking nice depth from the comte and a bigass kick from the salty blue finishing in that oily reblochon.
Rather than doing one appetiser, consider a tight menu of three starters, three mains, three deserts: topped up by a few specials to shift dead stock
Do three pizzas well and you'll outdo the majority of halfassed joints offering long lists of shite with no thought behind them
Mac and cheese is the epitome of a western comfort food, if you have spoilt shitcunts with no taste, you'll do well
ps add spinach, bacon, and/or truffle oil

check this Common in euroland to go to a place with a choice of two menus (drink, app, 1-2 courses, desert). It's best to have an alternative for groups because most people can't agree on a single thing and it only takes one person to bitch enough to make the group go somewhere else.

that used to work in the 40's where there were only 2 restaurants in town and one was known to have rats
try that now and you won't get any business

I agree with this guy, pizza places are a dime a dozen, I don't know many people who will go to a sit down place to order mac and cheese, you would be better off opening a truck and if you do well you could look into a brick and motor place down the road once you have clients.

your small experience with the people you know or have seen is not indicative of the population