Baked chicken

Teach me how to bake chicken Veeky Forums. Every time I try, no matter how i season it or how much they come out bland and the texture isn't quite right. Are there tricks im not aware of? How should i flavor it? Is a brine or marinade necessary? If so what goes in it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/d4z_N0GjqCY
youtu.be/6Wk2cYarjOI
youtu.be/5Z_M3NGaWao
youtu.be/kHw67wim0Vk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First thing is cold brine your chicken overnight. There are many types of brine from Italian to jerk. So just pick one.

Second for something like chicken legs baked or BBQ'ed I generally par simmer on very low in BBQ sauce drum side down, but don’t let them split. Then place in oven or grill and sauce as they bake.

Baking is a silly way to make good chicken because it is honestly very tricky to have the chicken come out browned but not be overcooked or undercooked all at the same time.. Browning = malliard reaction = flavor.

It's easier to do in a pan on the stove-top because you can observe the cooking process while it's happening.

>>How should i flavor it?
That's entirely up to you. You could brine or marinade it if you want to but it's certainly not required. Was for what type of flavor that's totally up to your preference.

>>comes out bland
1) make sure you're browning the chicken
2) seasoning
3) consider using free-range chicken instead of factory farmed stuff. Free-ranged is much more flavorful.

I wrap my chicken up in aluminum foil and then throw it in the oven for about an hour

How do you pan fry a whole chicken or legs or thighs or necks ? You must be referring to breast only.

>>You must be referring to breast only.
Nope

Cut the chicken into pieces. Get the pan hot, put the pieces in the pan. Turn them as they brown.

Works for drumsticks, wings, or any other pieces of chicken.

Whole chicken? Sear it on all sides in the pan first, then transfer it to the oven to finish roasting.

If you want a video tutorial check out Gordon Ramsay Sticky Lemon Chicken on youtube.

>I wrap my chicken up in aluminum foil
Why do you hate flavor so much? Leave that shit off so you get nice crispy skin.

With whole chicken i love a herb infused butter packed beneath the skin and then low and slow around 225f. but run oven temp up to 400f once Internal temp at thighs is at 165f to crisp the skin , and finalize internal temp to my preference.

>Browning = malliard reaction = flavor.
This is what I have issues with. How do I achieve this in an oven? I read one recipe that said letting the chicken sit uncovered in the fridge overnight dries it and helps?

>This is what I have issues with. How do I achieve this in an oven?

It's hard to achieve in the oven, which is why I was suggesting a different method, like doing it in a pan. Pan is faster anyway.

If you want food it brown in the oven:
1) it must be dry. that's what the "uncovered in the fridge" step does. You could also just dry the meat with paper towels.

2) Oven needs to be fucking hot. Over 400F.

Easiest method is to brown the food first (ideally in a pan, if not then use an oven that's preheated fucking hot) Once you have the food browned then turn down the heat to finish cooking through.

Are you cooking whole chickens or pieces?

The reason I want to achieve this in an oven is because I'm cooking for a massive amount of children and it's easier with just an oven. I would have to do batches in the little pans I have.

WHOLE OR PIECES?

Is grilling an option or are you stuck with the oven?

Children?

Chicken nuggets man

Honestly if you are in the US call you local ingles. They have cooked rotisserie chickens for 5-6 bucks whole. You cant buy the chicken for that price. My local ingles can provide 25 at a time if you pre order.

Just drumsticks and no I don't have a grill

I go back to par simmering in BBQ sauce then placed in the oven and baked. The simmering in sauce will give that bbq flavor all through the meat.

Try using baking powder to crisp up the skin.

Baking powder? Not flour or corn starch?

You don't mean like dredging it fully in baking powder right? Do you mean like adding some to the seasonings?

How long would I do this? Like until it's fully done or just like half way? Would a good order of operations be par simmer then sit it over night in the fridge then bake it the next day?

Meant to quote

>Flavor is bland
Add oil to your chicken before cooking in the oven.
>texture isn't right
You're likely undercooking or overcooking your chicken.

It really depends on the cut of meat and the method of cooking though. Tips for grilling breasts won't make the best fried chicken thighs after all.

Your ol' buddy Chef John is here to tell you how to roast chicken.
>youtu.be/d4z_N0GjqCY
>youtu.be/6Wk2cYarjOI
>youtu.be/5Z_M3NGaWao
>youtu.be/kHw67wim0Vk

Here's how I cook chicken.

>assemble seasoning mix:
>salt
>pepper
>paprika
>garlic powder
>onion powder
>dried basil
>dried thyme
>fennel seeds (which I crush just a bit)
>cayenne for a faint hint of heat

>lay out chicken on a baking sheet
>just a bit of salt over each
>drizzle of oil on each
>coat in spice mixture
>into a 375°-400° oven

After a few turns and such, it comes out great. Without the oil, the seasoning gets all dry.

I try to simmer legs slowly. Not at a boil but just high enough heat it slightly steams. I put the large side down and stand all the legs in a pot. Depends on the size of the pot and how many legs you cook on time, but a good 30 minutes after the sauce is at temp. The slow cooking breaks down the cartilage and sinews to make the meat easier to pull from the bone. Just don’t let the legs split open, they want to fall apart..

Meant to add place them on a broiler pan to bake with sauce that will thicken after the par simmer of the legs.

Make a spice mix, I use garlic powder, chumin, pepper, chilli seeds, paprika, and just a tiny bit of ginger.
I dry rub all the chicken thighs, and out them in the over for 2 hours at 300 degrees F. I also like to add sliced potatoes and carrots in the trey so they cook as well.
It's tasty.
After they are baked, this guy online brushed the baked chicken with chicken broth combined from the fat his baked chicken left over the crispy skin. Havent tried that yet tho

nah, man, you should do a brine then a marinade afterward. too many people think they can just stuff spices into a brine like it's going to do much. just let the brine do its job and do a marinade later

>spices in brines don't penetrate

What is corned beef? Try one with only salt, then try one with pickling spices. Guess what? The spices penetrated, retard.

What's the point of doing both?

Just make a marinade using the flavors of your choice but make sure you have the correct salt % for a brine. You can do both in a single step.

You must buy brined or brine it yourself. Even if you are doing whole chicken, I suggest you pan fry the raw skin first with a fair amount of vegetable oil + salt + pepper, just rotate it every 30-50 seconds. Should only take a few mins to get golden.

Then I like to spatchcock it (simple) and apply Moroccan spices with some lemon rind and olive oil. Bake breast side up in a fan forced oven at 135 degrees C (275F) for 55 mins - turning once to avoid over cooking the breast and cutting the legs off to turn them and check doneness.

I have a good recipe for curry chicken. It's just curry powder and garam masala and a little turmeric powder. Thighs are easy to make in the oven.