Is Steak and Kidney pie any good? What does it taste like? Do the kidneys taste anything like the liver of a cow?

Is Steak and Kidney pie any good? What does it taste like? Do the kidneys taste anything like the liver of a cow?

I've had cow liver before and hated it, the texture was disgusting and the flavor was a tad too bitter for me. What do cow kidney's taste like?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you won't like kidneys either. Offal has a taste and texture to it that some pepe find off putting.

I like it, but I also like liver. It kind of tastes similar to liver in that it has that organ taste to it.

The point of a steak and kidney pie is that you pack more meat in there for cheap and use the kidney. Tasting mostly like steak is the goal.

I saw some dude on YouTube make it with oxtail, looked fucking delicious.

Do all organs taste similar, say the heart? And what of chicken livers? Do they taste better/ different that that of cows?

yes more or less. if you don't like liver then you will definitely not enjoy kidney/heart

Organs have a similar taste I guess in the same way wild animals have a similar "gamey" taste.

If you don't like beef liver you probably won't like chicken liver I would say. I've never prepared them the same way though. Always beef livers fried with onions and chicken livers in dirty rice.

I'd disagree about the heart. The heart is make of muscle, unlike the kidney/liver. It definitely has a different texture (cardiac vs skeletal muscle) but it should not have the "offal taste" shared by the other organs (which I do enjoy). Usually people think this because they eat chicken/turkey heart that has been packed with the liver/gizzard, and has absorbed some of the juices from those.

I like to go to the asian market and buy a pack of chicken hearts, batter and fry them. Just like popcorn chicken.

I'll eat any pie but steak and kidney.
I really don't like kidney.

Are chicken hearts and gizzards, mostly gizzards any good? What exactly is a gizzard?

Heart is a muscle so it tastes very close to meat. Due to different muscle structure it has a firmer, smoother texture. Tongue is pretty close to traditional meat cuts as well. Both are amazing boiled and in sandwiches.

Birds don't have teeth so they use an organ called gizzard to grind their food. They swallow small rocks that help in this process. It too is basically a muscle but I haven't tried them so I can't say anything about the taste.

Beef heart isn't very organy; it does have a richer (bloodier) taste to it, but if you slice it thin (1/4 inch or 1/2 cubed) and soak and drain it, that'll tone it down significantly. It's also very lean and therefore tougher than most other cuts, so it's not good for steaks, but it makes excellent stew meat, especially if you make your stews in crock pots or pressure cookers, which inheritently tenderize meat.

I go through a few whole hearts each summer, making super lean jerky and countless cut packs each fall when I'm on my beef heart and root veggie stew kick.

I also make a full-blood, unseasoned beef heart jerky for my dogs; they love that shit and it costs practically nothing.

My dad loves chicken gizzads. The flavor is not that bad the texture is just weird and turns me off so I dont eat them. I know they are pretty cheap tho

Steak and kidney pie is fucking amazing, my favourite kind. I haven't had beef liver before but i know the kidney tastes like lambs liver. Give it a go, even a shitty steak and kidney pie is good

The mostly gizzards part on the labels cracks me up everytime.

>>disgusting texture
>>bitter

Sounds like the liver was overcooked as fuck.

This, 100%.

Heart is a muscle. So is a gizzard. They taste like other meat, though perhaps a bit more rich. They don't have that "organ taste" that liver and kidneys do.

As for liver, the taste varies a lot depending on the animal.

Chicken livers are very mild in flavor. So is other poultry (duck, goose, etc.). Liver from young land animals like lamb, veal, calf is in the middle. Pork is a little stronger. Beef (adult cow) is quite strong. Wild game would be stronger still.

I wanna try making a quasedilla with solely chicken gizzards.

>pie
>hasnt had steak n kidney pudding yet

pleb