I consider myself a pretty deep appreciator of many different types of "fine" things including film, literature, art...

I consider myself a pretty deep appreciator of many different types of "fine" things including film, literature, art, etc.

But there is nothing more hated than fine food by most normal people and I have no clue why. People love to hate on modern art, sure; pretentious films, sure; obtuse literature, etc. However, you look at a youtube video of a guy doing a bit more than just the bare minimum for cooking something and it'll be hit with like 20% thumbs down. Want to make your food look good? You're trying too hard. Want to obtain some unusual flavors? Stop ruining good meat.

What the hell is up with this

Rich people pay good money to eat a bite sized piece of garbage plated pretty. I have a decent income. When I spend big I also want good portions and good food, like a juicy ass steak or heaping mounds of barbecue and sides.

>piece of garbage
Isn't the thing that it's not garbage, however, but high quality ingredients?

I love steak and barbecue as much as the next person, but it's kind of ridiculous to say that a large meal is better than a meal with great ingredients and preparation.

Your attitude is ironically even more pretentious than that which you claim to dislike.

It's this everyman virtue signalling where you try to show people just how grounded and earthly you are. It's just another form of elitism.

Not to pick on you in particular, user. Your response just warrants criticism.

OP, this , this is why. It's low class thinking. These days, lots of trashy people have money, but they don't know class or etiquette. They outright reject artful things like fine dining because they don't understand that it's an experience that affects all your senses, and no, you don't leave hungry. All they care about is comfort-y, instant gratification, no matter how debased it is. They're the same people who buy brand new cars every year, and shop as a recreational activity. New money slobs.

You and most people have a vastly differing opinion on what "looks good", fedora.

Ad hominem nonsense. You're not impressing anyone with your recycled internet in-jokes.

lol and you ARE impressing everyone with fake faggot food.
Lurk more, newfriend

>2 bites of lobster
>Pureed mashed potatoes spread on a plate like diarrhea
>Elegant, rustic
>$75 for $8 of ingredients

Yeah how about you just continue to remain fucked. You don't even eat it you live in mom's basement.

Jealous much? Sorry to disappoint you, but NOTHING that you said is true. You can keep living like a poorfag with your head in the sand, or you can try and enlighten yourself and grow somewhat in this life. Obviously, you've chosen to stagnate, which may not be your own fault, but the fault of the circumstances you were born into, or your low IQ. Either way, I feel sorry for you.

you sound like someone who would talk about the subtle flavors of a pbr
the only thing more hated by normal people than fine food is (you)
fuck off

Do you exclusively communicate in memes? I've been using Veeky Forums since before /r9k/ and /new/ were made. Even so, I don't see why how long I've been here would affect anything in this conversation. I'm guessing you just don't have anything to actually say about the topic because you haven't had any sort of fine dining food, so you take the sour grapes approach and lace your posts with bullshit to look so hands off and confident to others.

Nobody cares about the appearance of an anonymous poster on the internet except for the poster themselves.

At least be honest with me and admit whether or not you've actually had experience with the topic. It's not like I'm going to find you in real life and stick a scarlet letter to you.

>"fine" things including film, literature, art, etc.
I'm not sure what you're on about OP, philistines have a pretty low opinion of all forms of high art, not just food. Maybe moreso for food because it's something you are faced with daily and they can form strong opinions about it, idk

I can kind of understand it. Most people don't have the time to make perfectly plated foods and they might feel bad about their food in comparison. Also paying for fine dining when that one meal could potentially pay for a weeks worth of food is out of the question for most people too, and when some people are struggling with bills they'll of course be upset about it. I think some of it is people sensing when someone is just doing things for the camera or trying to make themselves look like an exquisite artiste, it comes across as pretentious and fake.

Or I have money, not a city cuck, and mostly cook at home.

Enjoy your Jew York City Elegance.

Saving for copypasta. Thank you, you weird fuckers.

At least you have a complaint about something relevant. Again though, I point out the quality vs quantity distinction. I doubt anyone would argue that it's better to eat a bunch of McDonald's hamburgers than a good sirloin at a steakhouse, so why is it that when we do that with fine dining, it's an issue?

It always comes down to these class issues of price and appearance and it's ridiculous. As though the reason these establishments stay open is because they serve to inflate egos, even if the food is no good. That's a fantasyland justification.

Nobody is saying that you should spend 300 a night eating at Noma so you can instagram it and look cool.

Believe it or not, you can enjoy food without making yourself out to look like some pompous goon.

When I eat out I don't like to take pictures or brag about it to others. When I do something I like, I do it for myself, not for the attention of my peers.

>Veeky Forums unironically falling for this shitty bait thread again

Go ahead, man. It's not attached to me as an individual so why would I care?

This isn't reddit or facebook, your name or a username isn't attached to your posts. Just be honest and say what you think.

>projecting this much

Lol, whatever helps you sleep at night. Everything you try to imply is wrong, but I guess that's what people like you have to do to keep your fragile way of thinking intact.

I think you are an uninspiring troll. But not for the attention of your peers of course.

I like highbrow lit, film and art that require interpretation and present original ideas in new ways. Food will never exist on that level no matter how arrogantly or pretentiously the chef presents it or tries to convince an ignorant crowd of nouveau riche hungry for the notion their money can buy them status and a sense of refinement. More power to the highend chef; he's conning the conmen.

The best food is rustic food prepared using the freshest and highest quality ingredients. Fine dining makes a mockery of art and confirms Dahli's analysis of the "cannabalism of the aesthetic".

I'm being sincere. My opinion might not be popular, and it might piss off a board full of people who post the same 5 thread topics (McChicken, Jack, WebMs of shitty mexican food, and monster energy) over and over again, but I really don't care. I just don't anymore.

You want to talk to me about the thread topic, go ahead.

Spoken like someone who has never eaten a tasting menu

I think the main reason is all other things you mentioned exist for their own sake. Any art that you don't understand is either aspirational or you just don't care about it. Food exists to feed us, it has a purpose and a function. It's not where art is supposed to exist. It gets the same flak that would be directed towards artsy furniture or even cars. Wanting art in that realm stinks of elitism to most. Even a poor person can and does appreciate art as an escape. But for most food is not an escape, its a requirement. The only people who can look for art in food are people for whom food has never been a requirement.

good post

Posts like that are why people blow other people up.
Also, rad trips

>New money slobs.
>Claiming superiority because of something you didn't earn.
Really gets the almonds jogging

The same can be said that movies, literature, and art is meant to entertain us.

Finery is for things that have no lasting impact on your life. When it comes to your health, the trashiest, most chemically refined and least food-like shit is what the body really needs, and only Hitler would think otherwise.