Why is the sauce guy higher ranking than the meat guy?

Why is the sauce guy higher ranking than the meat guy?

Why is the baking guy at the bottom?

Why is the salad guy below the guy with no actual job?

This whole thing makes no sense.

>Position in the list indicates "rank"

You're American, aren't you?

Top position says it's the highest. Brigade is a military term. Ergo it's ranked.

Unless you're telling me it's not.

>>Why is the sauce guy higher ranking than the meat guy?
Making traditional French sauces takes a lot of skill. It's one of the hardest jobs. Also, it's a lot more pleasant of a workspace than standing directly in front of a hot-ass grill cooking meats thus it's a perk for the senior cooks.

>>Why is the baking guy at the bottom?
Dunno why, but a lot of chefs look down on bakers. It's considered "not a real chef".

>>Why is the salad guy below the guy with no actual job?
The salad guy's job requires no actual cooking skill. It's just taking things and putting them on the plate. A guy that can work all the stations is much more skilled since he actually knows how to cook.

>A guy that can work all the stations is much more skilled since he actually knows how to cook.

Then shouldn't he be higher than the other stations he's filling in for since he can do them all?

read the text mouthbreather, it says saucier is the highest stratified position

don't ever post here again

>Unless you're telling me it's not.

It clearly fucking isn't. Nowhere does it say it's a ranking, and nowhere does the word "Rank" appear. There is no "Ranking" column.

The fact that the patissier is at the bottom of the list is a fucking heavy hint that it isn't a "ranking".

>Then shouldn't he be higher than the other stations he's filling in for since he can do them all?

Usually that job is someone who is capable at the various jobs but isn't an expert at them.

The head chef would assign the most skilled cooks to their best positions. (kinda the same way that a sports coach--or gaming guildmaster--picks specific people for each position on the team). The do-everything guy is the backup for when shit hits the fan and someone needs help, is sick, etc.

As they say "jack of all trades, master of none".

Yeah you're right. The French hate people who make desserts, that's why patissier is at the bottom.

You've cracked the fucking code. You're through the looking glass, here.

>salad guy's job

Does he make the dressings or does the saucier do that? It seems to me if "salad guy" is making dressings that can get fairly sophisticated.

As user posted earlier in the thread: yeah, they really do. Normal chefs often look down on pastry chefs as "not a real chef".

But that's wrong.

I'm not a chef but why would I consider a pastry chef on par with a real chef. Baking is mostly a game of following directions by applying direct measurements.

You clearly don't have any experience in restaurant kitchens.

It's no different than students with STEM degrees looking down on people with lib arts.

Saucier makes cooked sauces.

The salad dude might, say, combine oil and vinegar with various spices but doesn't do anything involving heat.

I give up, this thread is hopeless.

Also why is fry cook so high up? That's just chips innit

Nobody said it was logical to look down on the pastry chef, only that it was indeed a thing.

If I had to guess it would be because most of the kitchen prepare things a la minute whereas the pastry chef has the luxury of preparing things in advance. Though to be honest I have no idea where that concept comes from--only that it does, in fact, exist.

it's not a ranked list you cabbage

The text itself would disagree with you.

The text itself makes a single mention of position in the description of a single station. No other positions describe any rank. To argue otherwise is completely idiotic.

>CEO: responsible for directing the company. Usually the highest stratified position of all the stations
>IT: manages the acquisition, development and maintenance of the computer systems and networks that support the company
>Janitors: clean company property
>HR: Specializes in hiring, firing, and dueling with personal grievances
>Temps: brought on through an agency to serve as temporary replacements for employees who are on extended or unforseen leave
>Law: on retainer to deal with any licensing or legal matters
>Mail Room: ensures nail is delivered to all employees
>Recruiting: identifies attractive candidates with skill sets and composure that suit the company's needs

Inb4 you morons try to make sense of this clearly hierarchical list

>prepares vegetables in a full brigade system
>tfw salad chefs have a personal army

>dueling with personal grievances

Fuck, that's harsh.

How does your employer deal with disputes?

>To argue otherwise is completely idiotic.

You've never worked in a kitchen before, have you?

Cage fights.

TIL the chipsmonger is a haute cuisine establishment

saucebro's stuff can fix any other station fucking up, ergo he has the job of overruling them

The issue is that the list in the op is not consistently hierarchical, nor does it seem to define a universal hierarchy. How kitchens organizer themselves is a completely separate topic, don't conflate the two.

You're so fucking mad. Run along and let the real chefs talk, dishwasher boy.

Sauce is not going to fix burnt meat or a soggy salad

fix? no
come close to compensating for?
i'd easily rather burnt steak gone diane or wet lettuce with a fire caesar than i would a nice medium-rare floating in ketchup or well-cleaned lettuce in """ranch""""

this goes even more so for traditional european cuisine, which is all questionable ingredients questionably cooked with the sauce expected to carry.

>this goes even more so for traditional european cuisine, which is all questionable ingredients questionably cooked with the sauce expected to carry.

That's an interesting theory, I like it.

>baker is buttblasted that no one respects him
while i love pastries, their job is not difficult. pastry chefs have very lax deadlines since everything can just be refrigerated and outside of a soufflé, which isn't prepared by them, nothing is actually difficult to make.