Chopsticks

Which material is best for chopsticks?
Wood/Bamboo (japan, china), metal (south-korea) or plastic (japan, south-korea, china, vietnam)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OXNu9g7r4FE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wood/Bamboo hands down.

wood.
Metal is too slippery / long and adds the taste of metal to your food.
Plastic is cheap feeling.
Wood (quality not those take away ones) adds no flavour and has elegance to it

a fork you goddamn weebs

lacquered wood>metal>decently-made plastic>shite>cheap plastic>cheap wood with small shards or paint that falls off

>lacquered wood>
laq bamboo > laq woood

Stone/marble.

I never understood why koreans use those thin flat metal chopsticks. Someone please enlighten me.

For dental health, wood isn't going to damage delicate enamel whatsoever. Best for home when you know you're cleaning them properly for yourself (bleach rinse) and drying thoroughly, which is common wood care for optimum cleanliness, such as with your own cutting board.

There is little reason to use chopsticks other than "fun" dipping of dumplings and such, when other cutlery are available, however.

this.

Long chopsticks are very good for frying. Asian soups are also easier to eat with just chopsticks as you can drink from the bowl and grab noodles and stuff with them.

This. Asians get plenty of things right but eating utensils are not one of them.

youtube.com/watch?v=OXNu9g7r4FE

>drink from the bowl
Disgusting. I think this is only condoned by japs.

chinks eat lots of fried foods and nips have to eat rice with their chopsticks like an autist. Wooden chopsticks are less slippery than metal chopstick so it was used more widely. Gooks use both spoon and chopsticks to compliment each other so there's no need to use wooden one. Metal chopsticks are much more easier to maintain and clean too.

how else do you drink the broth

are you supposed to sit there and spoon it into your mouth one spoonful at a time

Metal chopsticks are the worst. Kinda like Korean people.

I don't understand the dislike of chopsticks here and elsewhere. If you can use them competently (which is not difficult) they are the most practical utensils for much Asian food, which does not often require things be cut. They allow for more precise movement than a fork. They aren't superior outright but they serve a clear purpose for the cultures they are utilized by. I can only assume those who disagree haven't given them a chance.

chopsticks have a sharp learning curve
they're alright once you ge the hang of them, but until that they suck

>tfw the server at the asian restaurant always asks if i need a fork

Thai Pho Bo is eaten with chopsticks in one hand and a spoon in the other. Only once you finish the soup, you drink it directly from the bowl.

As of drinking from the bowl, I guess it only applies to small bowls.
Chinese and Japanese drink tea from small tea bowls.

>chopsticks have a sharp learning curve

Maybe if you're a clumsy fuckup.
I was able to pick up single peanuts with them the first time I ever used them. That was in the "happy buddha" restaurant when I was 9 years old.

I don't consider myself to have particularly good dexterity either.

Also because Korean BBQ and picking up food directly from fire.

Stone.

Silver to detect arsenic

I am a clumsy motherfucker with terminal shakeyhands, and I have been able to use chopsticks fine.

Wood, it has the most grip,

The wrong end of the chopsticks is on the rester in the pic. The purpose of those is to keep the business end of chopsticks off of the dirty table

i actually included chopsticks into my kitchen routine surprisingly much, for example i found that they are the perfect tool for french omelette, since they dont scratch my pan (wooden ones), are perfect for mixing the eggs and also for folding.

>For dental health, wood isn't going to damage delicate enamel whatsoever.

Why would this even be a factor? Chopsticks never touch your teeth.

You ever notice how ice cream always tastes better off those little disposable wooden 'spoons' that come with the serving-size cups? You saw these a lot as kids.

Yeah. Wood, all the way. The soft material feels nice against your lips/teeth, as well, which sounds dumb but is true if you think about it. Picture yourself accidentally biting your metal fork and you get the idea.

Why would my teeth ever touch a fork, spoon, or chopsticks? Lips? Sure. But teeth? No.

Shit happens and people are stupid and bite their silverware or stab their teeth for any number of reasons. It's obviously not intentional, and definitely not uncommon.

Lacquered wood. Bonus points if the ends are slightly bumpy to increase surface area. And ends that can be used to cut instead of being useless circular.

Chopsticks are superior for anything noodle.

Look into cooking chopsticks. They're longer so you can be further away from the heat. Literally the only thing I use for eggs nowadays.

>and definitely not uncommon.

Among tourettes patients or shaky alcoholics maybe.

bleach rinse?

wood/bamboo for one-time/several time use

metal for everyday use and wash.

I learned this the hard way folks

a 5% bleach solution is standard for sanitizing things in the kitchen, such as wood cutting boards.

I've never heard of anyone reusing bare wood chopsticks. Normally you'd use them and throw them away, but I suppose you could sanitize them just like a cutting board.

Thats what I did in band. When we ran out of new reeds we would soak the old ones in a mothwash solution and just reuse them.

>not dual-wielding a pair of chopsticks in your right hand and one of these bad boys in your left

I have $100 that says you've had an unintended encounter with silverware in the last 3 years. No one is buying your shit.

velcro

Wood, fire, sugar, water, steak, cotton, tea, sunlight, wind, animals; All the things that humans find most comfy are natural because we evolved right next to them. No one ever says "Damn, this piece of plastic is so comfy, I can just feel my stress draining away." Unless that piece of plastic is part of an air conditioner.

Wood will always win out over plastic and metal when it comes to sheer comfort. Maybe I wouldn't want to work in a wooden skyscraper, but chopsticks don't mortally depend on structural integrity.

I've had all sorts of chopsticks over the years, but my first ever pair was something like pic related, and it's still my favorite. Elegant design, and the ends are pointed and not big and blunt so you can pick up small pieces of food more easily.

Are you saying metal isn't natural?

Titanium

The metal you're probably thinking about is not natural. Pic related is natural titanium. You can feel warmth just from looking at it. Now look at a pair of cold, soul-less 99% titanium chopsticks. Of course, that's a non-ferrous metal, so it's just about as pure and 'natural' as metal gets (most are ferrous blends, like cast iron and steel). But there is still nothing 'natural' about it. It doesn't trigger that comfort in the same way an unfinished geode does.

Looks a little bulky and unwieldy to use as a chopstick without processing. But then it's not "natural" anymore is it, assnugget?

You should learn literacy. It helps a lot with stuff in life.
Sharp learning curve for chopsticks means you basically need a introduction to wield them, and some practice before you can use them.
Thats why its SHARP: Its short and has a edge

There is also the added bonus of there being several styles of chopstick holding, and some of them require some hand dexterity to use.

I made some bronze chopsticks for a chinese guy once. I got paid $150 for a pair of them so I'm not going to complain.

How is the second post you quote related to what you say? I don't indulge into whether chopsticks are difficult or not to learn to use. Just pointing out how meals are being eaten in different cultures.

What are the different styles of holding chopsticks? You got me interested.

chopsticks are superior to forks in everyway

If you don't hold them right, you're wrong. Wish this was more informative. Not even kidding.

snake wood