If you like avocado and are pissed of about its sudden rise in price and popularity...

If you like avocado and are pissed of about its sudden rise in price and popularity, I suggest you try making eggplant dip. Seriously it's the same, except tastier and cheaper.
When I first had guac I thought it was spoiled eggplant. When I asked what it was and were told how much it cost I got pissed, then 3 hours later when it got spoiled I was outraged.

So you want to pierce the eggplants (so they don't explode in your oven), then you bake them for 40 mins (don't get scared if they look or smell burnt), cut them open, get the insides out and let them drain, then grind them (you can do it with a fork), mix them with either olive oil or mayo and add generous amounts of finely chopped onion. Obviously season them.

You can look for the greek versions as well, but I prefer keeping it simple.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3tSfgIa_hG0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I might try this. There is no way it's better than guac though.

Alternately if you have a gas burner you can buy the long skinny Asian eggplants, prick them with a fork all over and just cook them on an openm flame, turning every few minutes until skin is evenly burnt all over. Let cool and peel/flake off skin. Mix the soft, smoky pulp with salt, minced garlic, lemon juice, tahini and some chopped parsley. Stuff is called mutabal, and it's fucking delicious.

I like eggplant even though it makes my throat itch and burn

Try them with onions, your whole body will burn

Add lemon, generous amounts of olive oil, salt, pepper and tahineh (roasted sesame paste) to the mix, let sit at least 2 hours in the fridge, serve in a shallow plate topped with more olive oil and parsley. You get baba ghanouj - which beats the shit out of guac if you ask me. Props to OP for grinding with a fork instead of an electric mixer. Optional :
>baking the eggplant in the oven yields a gentle/mild taste, pic related is the favored method for getting the real smoky flavour out of them
>finely chopped onion
>finely diced tomato
>cumin
>finely chopped mint
>crushed garlic
>add pomegranate molasses and/or top with pomegranate seeds (I know it sounds weird : try it, thank me later)

>>baking the eggplant in the oven yields a gentle/mild taste, pic related is the favored method for getting the real smoky flavour out of them
I actually prefer them that way but I don't know that people looking for something similar to avocado would like that. Also it's exceptionally shitty if you live in a small apartment.
Other than that, I hate tomatoes but everybody I know that makes/eats eggplant eats them sliced.

>You get baba ghanouj
That's the turkish name for it or?
In Romania we keep it simple as fuck, probably because we're poor and have been so for a long time, but I've still liked our version better than the Greeks', when I've been there.

Baba ghanouj I believe is the syrian/levantine name for it ? That's how my lebanese and syrian pals call it anyway, it's basically hummus with burnt eggplant meat instead of chickpeas. Pomegranate is kinda fancy, but definitely worth trying.

>Baba ghanouj I believe is the syrian/levantine name for it ?
I think baba g is when you add tomatoes to it, and the straight up roast eggplant salad is mutabal.

A local Turkish restaurant serves a similar dish called "patlıcan salatası" (i.e. eggplant salad). It smoked eggplant, grilled peppers, lots of garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice. It it really good / better than guac.

I think most every country calls it eggplant salad in their language, but when I looked it up on google I could only find "eggplant dip" which sounded dumb, but what are you gonna do.

Where are you anons from?

>eggplant dip
Tough to translate into American English, where the word salad is evocative of raw vegetables or something in a mayo based dressing (or both). I think in England they mught call this type of dish a scooping salad, since you scoop it up with bread. But in American English the closest word for that would be a dip.

I'm the user that calls it baba ghanouj, even though here in France the generic name for any ground eggplant dish is actually "caviar d'aubergines" (eggplant caviar).

Didn't even know it was so popular among Arab countries. Pretty funny how so much of their cuisine is Greek. Also sort of interesting how it came to France not under an European name, but Arab.

>Arab countries. Pretty funny how so much of their cuisine is Greek.
Not really. Think about sea trade in the Mediterranean a few thousand years ago. Greece was in that sphere of influence.

What I meant was that while I knew about the gyros/shaorma/souflaki/kebab, baklava, yogurt arguments, for some reason I never associated eggplants with Arabs.

Excellent idea desu OP. I will try this soon.

I am the "patlıcan salatası" user. I'm from the American South.

Eggplant is objectively the least appealing fruit ever, it looks and tastes like vomit. If you're so poor that you can't afford to make the odd guacamole then just kill yourself

Yassss bitch
Grew up eating this shit in Romania called salata de vinete
god tier shit

It looks exactly the same as guac, except not like vomit.

It's used as a veggie for a reason.

It might taste good, but eggplant looks like shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=3tSfgIa_hG0

Isn't that baba ganouj? It's the eggplant dip I've been making all these years and calling baba ganouj

oven temp?

>Isn't that baba ganouj?
Yes.

But avocados are like 3 for $1...

150-200C

The best eggplant dip is the Indian one. Bake an eggplant with slits that have been stuffed with garlic cloves. Also bake some halved tomato and onion with it. Once done skin the eggplant and tomatoes. Use a knife to turn everthing into a chunky dip. Heat up some oil throw in some cumin seeds. Put in the mixture and fry for a while. Add some chilli powder and garam masala. Finish with lime and cilantro.

Lost of folks call it baba ganouj. I think technically baba ganouj is the more elaborate version of the dish, with tomatoes added to make it more like a salad than a dip or spread. The simpler version is called mutabal.

I love eggplant but it's a pain... It absorbs too much oil if not careful and is nearly worthless for nutrition. So is avocados though.

It's "baba ganoush" faggot