Why vegan and not vegetarian?

I totally get the argument for not eating meat, but why do you have to avoid animal products as well? This is for all the vegans and people with knowledge out there. Also, to all the vegans: is being a vegetarian bad?

>Pic very much unrelated

Dairy cows and chickens that are kept for eggs are sometimes treated badly too. Not a vegan or vegetarian but I still recognize the problems with modern food production, but I think the best solution is to minimize harm and waste right now while supporting the development of lab-grown meat and animal-free milk. You'll never get everyone to turn vegan.

What I'm wondering is why vegans lump all animal products together in the same category. Just because factory farming is horrible doesn't mean there aren't excellent alternatives, like old fashioned free range farming, or hunting and fishing.

What's the argument for not eating meat? Muh feefees?

there's actual evidence it improves health, but it totally sucks not eating meat

Oh. Some of them are probably just against killing animals altogether when they can survive without doing so. I can kind of understand that reasoning, and think it's a noble thing to do, even if it doesn't work for me.

I don't think what they care about is the mistreatment of animals. I just can't picture a vegan drinking some milk from their grandparents' cow, or eating eggs straight from their garden.

I'd assume it's a combination of muh feels and the popularity of the >meat causes cancer >one egg has a tonne of cholesterol and >you shouldn't drink another animal's milk memes.

There's also evidence that people who don't eat meat have less muscle mass, which could be a bad thing. If you compare a vegetarian who has a healthy diet to the average overweight meat eater, of course the vegetarian will seem healthier though.

Some vegans have said they eat eggs when they get them from someone who keeps chickens as pets and not food. Most vegans usually start out doing it because they're disturbed by the mistreatment and death, even if some of them later only seem to do it because they want to fight and argue with other people.

Ayye thanks for answers. I've been considering becoming a vegetarian or at least eating less meat, but I'm not sure if I want to be a vegan. I think I'll try to be a vegetarian for a period to live a bit healthier and to see how it is. Maybe when I move out, to prevent myself from eating junk food all the time

That's a pretty big thing too. Every vegan I came across had a diet consisting mostly of french fries, pasta and sandwiches.

>start out doing it because they're disturbed by the mistreatment
So would they eat family grown and peacefully killed after drunkened pork?

Click each tab at the top for an explanation: www.theradicalvegan.tumblr.com

And yes, vegetarianism is bad. I consider being called vegetarian an insult.

Vegetarians still fund animal abuse, environmental destruction, and even from a health perspective it's pointless.

>Vegetarians still fund animal abuse, environmental destruction, and even from a health perspective it's pointless.
This.

Male chicks and calves being killed is a problem with the industry and not the products themselves. There is nothing wrong with eggs and milk.

Not eating junkfood is always an improvement. Basically, as long as you eat your veggies, eat diverse food, avoid soda and sweets and stick to your 3 main meals, you are already doing better than 90% of the people, doing crazy diets like paleo is just people going too far the other way.

I try to eat vegatarian sometimes but making a really tasty vegetarian dish is just really hard. Eatable, no problem, but really tasty, meh.

As and illustrate, you go vegan instead of vegetarian because you feel the desperate need to ride a moral high horse and shit on people.

>that little tear at the eye of the chick about to get blendered
This is what vegans ACTUALLY believe

Working with milking cows was rough because the babies just when through so much stress and trauma over being taken from their mothers. their mother's were impregnated annually and the male calves were sold off for meat.

It's not a good deal for a vegan, even though I was in an idyllic situation with the cows being treated well it doesn't fit into a reducing suffering model compared to just drinking plant milk

>tfw arguing about inhumane industrial capitalism is translated to "muh feefees" for fat right wing brainlet barbarians

Vegans go to a ton of effort avoiding edible things that come from animals, but seem to have a fuckhuge blindspot for a ton of mundane stuff that comes from them.

Why not just go to grass fed and pasture raised meat instead of giving it up all together? If you're going this because you feel bad about the animals suffering, just look at how those are raised and humanely killed. There are plenty of benefits to doing this too, such as supporting small businesses and this kind of farming methods.

There's no reason to not eat bugs.

These byproducts don't drive the industry, meat does. Even leather isn't driver much less shampoo from hooves.

I could never avoid sweets, but I certainly need to eat less of it. Maybe I should just try to eat more vegetables than what's normal and make more food without meat

Eating super vegan retard meals which leave you with deficiencies if you dont watch out (half of the vegans are mental because they dont get enough essential amino acids) because you want to live healthy while at the other hand downing candy is just fucking retarded.

>Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.
The animal has already been killed for it's meat. Our veganbros have decided this is not cool and so want nothing to do with it.
All the other bits are still going to be used to make all that other stuff, and yet it's somehow okay to use the byproducts from the same dead animal that you're not allowed to use the main product from.

Claiming to be vegan whilst using animal products, regardless of whether they are primary or secondary products is an exercise in hypocrisy.
It is irrelevant if any of those things drive an industry or not. They come from an animal which has been exploited to death.

Vegans have high standards. They might be double, but they are high nontheless.

I would have thought the diehard vegans would have excluded leather.

Yes, and vegans actually believe they use a personal blender to grind up the chicks too.

Fucking autist.

They're both extremely unhealthy, and funding the industry means you're causing that.

Yeah, couldn't possibly be that I actually care about the animals and want people to stop abusing them.

Thank you for this.

All of those either have alternatives or aren't necessary, you fuckwit. In fact, most of them are usually plant based anyway. Do your research.

Because they're still abused and have an even worse effect on the environment than factory raised, lol.

They still castrate, dehorn, etc., without anesthesia. They still impregnate the cows yearly then steal their babies shortly after for dairy, which causes them severe distress (there are police reports about the disturbing cries coming from farms every year when the calves are taken) and sell calves to become veal. And they still suffer health issues from overproduction and stress, they're still just as likely to be beaten by workers, and the list goes on.

It's an extremely retarded attempt at a solution.

Is this a joke? Can someone actually be this uninformed and retarded? Protein deficiency doesn't happen if you're getting enough calories. Everything you eat (well maybe not everything YOU eat, since I suspect a portion of your diet probably consists of rocks and other inedible things you put in your mouth when your mother isn't looking) has amino acids.

And vegans are less likely to be deficient in many things meat eaters are commonly deficient in. Protein is absolutely the least of concerns.

Are you retarded, ever heard of essential amino acids? Sure, everything has amino acids, but you need specific types in order to properly function.

>well maybe not everything YOU eat, since I suspect a portion of your diet probably consists of rocks and other inedible things you put in your mouth when your mother isn't looking) has amino acids.
>YOU
I see. Its us and them. Im sorry ow mighty vegan, you see, its so hard to see the truth in this pit of meaty darkness.

>my argument is reasonable and logical and everyone who disagrees with me is stupid: the comic
I've seen more than one vegetarian/vegan cheering when they found out that a tick is spreading a disease that makes people not able to eat meat. They were happy about people becoming diseased. That's horrible.

All of which are easily provided by anything you eat, dipshit. Everything you eat has a blend of amino acids, some things are higher in certain ones but they still have them all. All you need to do is eat enough calories and you'll get all your essential amino acids.

I think most vegans are cheering about that because it means less animals will suffer. I personally don't cheer about that though because they'll still be able to eat dairy and eggs which cause the same amount of suffering. Also not everyone knows what they're doing by funding the animal agriculture industry, so some innocent people might be hurt. I'm not sure how severe the symptoms are though so maybe this isn't something to worry too much about.

I've seen more than one meat eater cheering about animals being severely abused on a mass scale for their trivial conveniences. That's horrible.

They do. That user is just a desperate retard.

>I think most vegans are cheering about that because it means less animals will suffer.
Except it's causing people to suffer. You shouldn't be okay with either people or animals suffering but they were okay with people suffering. There are other symptoms associated with the disease that greatly lower quality of life.

It is. Both sides do bad things so trying to paint an image of one side being the reasonable, rational, logical side and the other side being dimwitted sociopaths isn't helping.