/tea/ - Tea General

Post about tea or something. Anyway I inadvertently bought a both a green and black pinhead gunpowder, how do I actually brew these? On the latter I completely ignored the container and went about 200f for 3.5 minutes (tin said boiling for 5) and it's alright but I don't know if I'm doing it correctly

Also friendly reminder loose leaf is barely any more work than teabags if you use a french press, stop using bags

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/4ZEuMwBJ
what-cha.com/china-fujian-zhangping-light-roasted-shui-xian-fruit-cake-oolong-tea/
yunnansourcing.us/store/index.php?id_product=1075&controller=product
denstea.com/houjicha-houjigenmaicha-550-c-108_111.html
amazon.com/Hario-Fukami-Tea-Pot-450ml/dp/B00BD1O00G/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I broke my 150ml gaiwan lid. Thinking of buying a new one with a different material but still not sure. Anyone got suggestions? Clay or ceramic? Size? Easy gaiwan? Cheers.

>General

Also pastebin here.
pastebin.com/4ZEuMwBJ

It's hot right now so I have been drinking cold-brewed tea, all different kinds. Green tea with lime and ginger was great, redbush and vanilla was nice too.
Got some genmaicha (brown rice tea) brewing now, we'll see how that turns out ice cold.

Im personally not a fan of overly thick ones, they feel a bit too heavy, I prefer porcelain about 90-95ml, got mine at the yunnan sourcing china site but that is only worth it if you buy more stuff due to the shipping, jkteas have recently started free shipping and they have quite a few gaiwan styles

it really depends on how much leaf you use op. if you pack a gaiwan full youll want to flash brew, but im assuming since you mention a french press your water/leaf ratio is quit high. experiment with it, a lot of the fun of brewing tea is learning how best to brew each tea.
Im brewing some gaoshan in a gaiwan. light honeysuckle and nuttiness. very green and fresh tasting too. I got it at a local shop owned by an old taiwanese lady. she visits taiwan twice a year to source her gaoshan's spring and winter harvests.

I've found 10g/450ml to be my general sweet spot, changing time and temperature only. 30-45s hot as possible for black tea, up to 3m for things like this. My 450ml pot makes 2 full cups, and re-steeped a couple times is enough tea for the day.

what-cha.com/china-fujian-zhangping-light-roasted-shui-xian-fruit-cake-oolong-tea/

Yes because it's far better than 20 people making threads with specific questions

At least then it would shove fast food idiots and youtube personality cunts off the board with real content

>nobody's allowed to talk about fast food because I don't want to
Kill yourself

Coffee beans are seeds

Red Buffalo Oolong from Whatcha. My mom managed to find this set for $25 at an antique store in nowhere, Alabama. Included 5 cups. It seems to be hand made and has no branding. The handle on the teapot is messed up a bit but I think it adds character.

I have one of these:

yunnansourcing.us/store/index.php?id_product=1075&controller=product

it looks cool AF and holds a ton, but the "easy-pour" part is just as easy as a regular gaiwan and the sides get hot, even with the little handle bumps. But it's worth a ton of tea-peen points.

What do you guys think of the steeped tea from Tim Hortons?

It's just a coffee pot with some cheap teabags in it so they can pour a quick cup.

Sometimes not even that, stingy managers are happy giving you a cup of hot water with an unopened teabag for full price.

Had some of the worst pu erh I've ever had the displeasure of drinking. Its golden sail brand and comes in a white bag, and is loose instead of in cake form. It was the most "savory" tea I've ever had but also the most chemically, a mix of burnt rubber and grilled corn. Has anyone else had any experience with the golden sail brand?

I'm interested in brewing some kombucha for the health benefits. My mom's been complaining about occasional stomach pains so it's for her.

We've got some high quality teas from china lying around. Should I use those or experiment with some cheaper stuff first? Also where do I buy the starter?

Arabic tea is the best everything else is wrong and invalid.

You can buy 2 SCOBY on amazon for like 10 bucks, and you can keep using them (and the children) so you only need that.
I wouldn't suggest using high quality tea for kombucha, I've experimented but it pretty much all tastes the same. You could add fruit or tea after the brewing process though to impart a little flavor

I can barely tell the difference between teas but I keep buying them anyway.

how do i into matcha green tea? i really like the flavor but don't drink tea at all currently, please help

Who here London Fog? Its my favorite thing to order at a coffee & tea shop. I make it at home, too, but at home I drink mostly kalami assam.

1. Acquire matcha
1a. ensure that it is genuine matcha and not merely ground sencha
2. Place matcha in drinking vessel and apply hot water
3. Whisk the fuck out of it either with traditional bamboo whisk or battery powered frothing wand

hi Pyra
Go to a japanese grocery store and buy some matcha.

I don't know who that is

>how do I actually brew these
Well, you heat water. Put the tea in pot. Add heated water. Wait a while. Poor tea.

Then calmly drink your tea, while overstressed tea hipsters become murderous because you didn't follow their scriptures to the letter.

classic Pyra lol how ya doin man?

If any of y'all have Lemon Balm in your garden:

Lemon balm makes regular green tea more interesting.
Green tea can be a bit dull (musty? english lacks the proper word).
Lemon balm adds a little extra spice, makes it fresher and sharper.
Mint doesn't really do this properly, tho it is often added.
Mint can also be a bit musty, for the lack of a better word.

Lemon balm also makes good tea on it's on.
Pick and wash 5-10 leaves and pour hot water over them, no need to crush them.

Aquire good to medium quality vanilla ice cream.
Add matcha, stir well to incorporate.
Voila, vanilla matcha ice cream.

>Green tea can be a bit dull (musty? english lacks the proper word).
flat

Do you hotbrew first and then cool it?

ah, yes good word
but still not exactly what I meant

I buy green tea with lemon grass mixed in to accomplish the same effect

I do prefer good matcha

Don't think I've even tasted lemon grass (and known that I tasted it).
Is it similar?

Cheapest means of steeping loose leaf tea?

One of those mug infusers probably, the cylindrical large ones that take pretty much the whole mug. There should be a few on amazon

English breakfast in the afternoon like a madman

Every summer I buy the iced tea powder value pack from nestea
recently I realized it forms little pieces of ice in the container (1.5 l, exactly the amount it says on the nestea packaging)
what am i doing wrong?
also can I make regular tea and refrigerate it? i know honey goes bad or something like that so should I use sugar?

Honey doesn't go bad, it's basically pure sugar. They've found 1000 year old honey that was still perfectly good.

Wow I'm so stressed out that I'm not drinking garbage tea, you got me

Earl grey smells like froot loops.

As said, honey doesn't go "bad". It crystallizes. If you pour some warm water on the container, you'll see it melt again.
The reason it doesn't spoil, on its own, is because when it's in a moist and slightly salty environment, enzymes in the honey are activated and small amounts of hydrogen peroxide are released, killing microbes. This is why eating a heaping spoonful of it when you have a sore throat helps. That said, if you just want to sweeten something, you're probably better off with stevia because it doesn't initiate de novo lipogenesis.

I doubt many people on Veeky Forums care about getting fat, user

Not everyone on this website, even the oldest of oldfags, have the same circumstances.
I was 265 lbs at my worst (pretty bad for my 6'1" frame) and my cardiologist told me in no uncertain terms that it was either I lose weight or die young. I dropped my body fat by 12 lbs per month like clockwork by counting calories with a cellphone app until I got down to 200 lbs. No starvation, I ate what I like (Heaping piles of meat) and had no stringent exercise routine (had a broken ankle), though my results would have been far better if I did do some cardio and lifting.
If you have IBS, Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis or whatever, it's all the more important to know what triggers negative symptoms and long-term damage.

No, I get what you mean. I had prediabetes, depression, and joint pain very young and don't anymore because I went keto (basically avoiding all sugar and starch except some veg and berries) and dropped 60 lbs. No stringent exercise, just like you said.
Just saying most people in this thread in particular don't want unwarranted advice about their tea sweeteners.

Good job, though user, it can be difficult pinpointing where the issue lies, especially if it sometimes contradicts advice you'd normally be given.

Sage for offtopic

It was a small throwaway line with only the best of intentions in mind. Hijacking the thread was never my goal, though I'd be more than happy to discuss such things in another thread if anyone here wants to (just post a link to it here so I see it, please).

so i should pour hot water on my cold beverage if I use honey?
I'll try stevia or sugar

Yeah, hot water will allow you to dissolve the honey in the water.

French press, probably

If you do use sugar then don't just pour it in. Make a simple syrup by putting some sugar in a pot and enough water to cover it and then heat until completely transparent.

Alternatively if you need to sweeten your iced tea then I would suggest trying a flavored tea and cutting the sugar by half.

Something like this. A small container with mesh or a series of small holes that lets water through but not the tea leaves themselves. Some hook onto the sides of mugs, some stretch across the top, some you hook onto the handle, some are just long enough that you let them sit in like a stirring stick...
It takes two seconds to clean one after use and I've seen all sorts of variations on the same idea for

If he puts the sugar into the mug before he pours the hot water, then the water should dissolve it pretty thoroughly just from the pour. Especially if he puts just a tiny bit of water first to let the sugar hydrate a bit.

A good tea doesn't need sugar/milk/whatever though, IMO. Ditto for coffee.

What's your thought on blooming tea?

Those are terrible for multiple reasons, don't fall for the meme

Has anyone got a recommendation for a good hojicha (roasted green tea)?

>Those are terrible for multiple reasons
Well can you name at least one then...?

Doesn't give room for leaves to expand

Then get a bigger one. You know those come in multiple sizes, right? The small one has plenty of expansion room if you're just making a single cup. If you're making a larger amount use a larger size.

Or just buy a French press like someone who isn't trying to justify their poor decisions

denstea.com/houjicha-houjigenmaicha-550-c-108_111.html

But you're justifying spending more money for something that does the same thing with more components that need to be cleaned based on a complaint that is only valid if you're immensely retarded and buy one for the improper size.

here. I do own a French Press, and that's what I prefer to use. I agree it's the better utensil. My point was limited to the fact that is a poor argument.

How bad is Twining's? Does it really deserve all the shit it gets?
What's the best brand of tea from the UK, bagged or otherwise?

None of the big brands are TERRIBLE. They all have their good points. I do go for twinings myself if it has to be bagged.

Teamakers of London is a perfectly good 'brand' for loose tea in the UK.

I made and drank kombucha for about three months. You can just pour half a bottle of unflavored GT kombucha into your gallon of room temp sweet tea and then cover with cheese cloth and wait 2 weeks.

I honestly didn't feel any different while drinking it and I enjoyed drinking regular unsweet tea more so I just stopped drinking it.

Don't bother buying great quality tea but most brands of lose leaf will be cheaper than what you can get in bagged form Ie. Something off Amazon will be cheaper than using Lipton. I suggest making sure you use good quality water, if you wouldn't drink the water by itself don't make it into tea.

Put the tea in your cup, add water, wait for the tea to settle, drink.

Not him but thats the only way lol... Isnt it?

You can brew tea in cold or warm water as well. That's why it's called "cold brew"

Wow I gotta look this up, thanks.

When I was a kid, we'd put a bunch of tea into a large infuser and let it steep in a closed mason jar in the fridge overnight during summer.

I bought a smaller gaiwan this time, there's a store nearby which sold teas and teawares. Bought a 330ml kamjove but I haven't used it since I'm not sure about the timing for infusion.

amazon.com/Hario-Fukami-Tea-Pot-450ml/dp/B00BD1O00G/

This is the best teapot btw